• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Official Statement On Rebranding To Dash

k

This is great Tao, I really liked the chameleon, but the Dalmatian has a much more generic appeal. Most folks would be far more comfortable with puppies than lizards. Keep up the great work!
Thank you for your kind words! I'm motivated to work harder than ever to bring Digital Cash to the masses...

strix... say whaaaaat ??
What is going on here is exactly the opposite of what you're saying. We are the ONLY crypto technically capable of contending exactly that !!

(am I nuts here??... seriously, someone give me a chill-pill if you think its needed!! )

I think tungfa has a whole bunch in his bag! :grin:

We're in the process of trademarking Darkcoin, Darksend, InstantX and Masternode

I understand trademarking the terms so others can't steal them but are we keeping the Darksend name with Dash? "Darksend" seems more ominous than even Darkcoin. "Darksend" should be practically at the top of the re-branding list.

I understand trademarking the terms so others can't steal them but are we keeping the Darksend name with Dash? "Darksend" seems more ominous than even Darkcoin. "Darksend" should be practically at the top of the re-branding list.
He means he's keeping the rights to the names so no one else can use them. I would think that Darksend would be renamed in the DASH wallet.

I think tungfa has a whole bunch in his bag! :grin:
Yeah he has...since yesterday he has at least 3 less :) i needed them urgently.
ED I appreciate the story how the things went and looking forward to help and give my input at DASH as I can.
Lets move, now there is nothing to stop DASH from adoption.

Yeah he has...since yesterday he has at least 3 less :) i needed them urgently.
ED I appreciate the story how the things went and looking forward to help and give my input at DASH as I can.
Lets move, now there is nothing to stop DASH from adoption.
I'm happy you are not one of the disillusioned ones. We will now get to see where we can take this project unencumbered by a restrictive name!

I'm happy you are not one of the disillusioned ones. We will now get to see where we can take this project unencumbered by a restrictive name!
I had to tame with the name, I think many had to. After all the fundamentals are the same.

strix... say whaaaaat ??
What is going on here is exactly the opposite of what you're saying. We are the ONLY crypto technically capable of contending exactly that !!

(am I nuts here??... seriously, someone give me a chill-pill if you think its needed!! )

Yidakee my friend, I certainly do not think you are nuts. And I clearly must not be expressing myself clearly, because I thought I was on your side (as I understood it) here.

So let me try again... the key terms in my statement were "officially" and "recognized." Dash is certainly a more defensible monetary entity than BTC or any fiat currency that I am aware of. Given the grip the banksters have on international finance I simply do not see any nation granting official recognition to Dash that would ever warrant an ISO designation. If (and its a big if) BTC is able to kowtow sufficiently to the international monetary system, it MAY at some point be granted such a "privilege," but I doubt it.

If Dash fulfills its promise, it will be incapable of meeting their demands and may serve to provide a base money on which to rebuild a viable economy on the ruins of the existing teetering system.

I'm not sure what you thought I was saying, but it was certainly not my intention to imply that Dash is lacking as a monetary unit.

I presented some ideas to Evan about the DASH wallet, let me know what you guys think:

Overview Screen ===> DASHboard

Darksend Mixing ===> DASH! (The simple term DASH! would be to create Digital Cash)

Darksend Balance ===> DASH STASH

Darksend ===> Eliminated. Give users two options: Send from Normal Funds or DASH STASH...

Cheers,

Tao

P.S. Looking forward to the next chapter in our journey together. We really have a great community!

I presented some ideas to Evan about the DASH wallet, let me know what you guys think:

Darksend Mixing ===> DASH! (The simple term DASH! would be to create Digital Cash)

Darksend ===> Eliminated. Give users two options: Send from Normal Funds or DASH STASH...

Cheers,

Tao

P.S. Looking forward to the next chapter in our journey together. We really have a great community!

Seriously, Tao, can I have some of what you're taking? I need it desperately! Thanks :)

We're in the process of trademarking Darkcoin, Darksend, InstantX and Masternode

Glad this very important point has not been overlooked. While I party from the Darkcoin name with a heavy heart, I congratulate eduffield for taking a lead and making this decision as a real leader should. I am also grateful for Evan's articulate explanation and for all the members contributing to this heated debate.

I'd also like all of us to ponder Evan's words -- "I know mistakes have been done, this has been a very difficult time for me." -- and appreciate how great and humble man he is. He has created a breakthrough technology, adding one mind-blowing feature after another to it and still has time and humility to deal with all of us, our emotions, reactions, misunderstandings, hurts and what not, while never complaining about his own feelings.

He stands behind this project with his full name, he puts his money where his mouth is and pours his heart and endless hours into the project that benefits all of us. We should all be deeply grateful to have been given the chance to find our place in the dark :wink: and be a part of something big. I know I am. Grateful to Evan, that is.

Darkcoin’s vision has always been to create a trust-less, decentralized , private and fast payment platform for the benefit of the majority. This is our ethos and our most important goal, recently it became apparent that our branding was getting in the way of reaching the people we were trying to help, that is when I knew that in order to accomplish our vision we would need to change our name. Our ideals remain intact and we will continue to pursue them under any branding we have, now and in the future.

Months ago the community organically came up with the name “Dash” as a possible rebranding idea of Darkcoin, I took notice of this and the good deal of support it had in the forums. This lead to us researching the Dash brand for a few months. In the process of doing some investigation, we found that there was another company in the financial space that was filing a trademark. This resulted in me buying another coin “Dashcoin” and challenging their trademark application.

There is some misunderstanding in the community about why there was a quick move to announce this without a previous debate on the forums, as I originally intended. It was simply the result of a mistake on github, where I posted a comment to the Darkcoin github account with the Dashcoin github account login. I felt it was best to show the community where I was with the research, rather than let rampant speculation move through the community about why we were in control of the Dashcoin project. Acquiring Dashcoin is no different than getting a previously existing domain name, the acquired project itself will not continue only the DRK project will move forward under a new name. I had to make some really quick decisions and I apologize for the confusion that resulted from my mistakes.

That’s all in the past now and after careful consideration, reading all the posts from everyone for the last few days and weighing every argument, I believe it is best if we make it official that we’re going with DASH. At this point our priority is to have closure so we can move on, the uncertainty hurts the community and markets, more than any renaming options and prevents us from moving forward with development.

Communication has been an issue for us, as Darkcoin has quickly grown over the last 14 months. We have grown so fast that I couldn’t keep everyone in the loop at all times. We’re addressing this by moving all development coordination to Slack, which has already had a great positive impact on the project. Part of managing something that grows this quickly is addressing weak areas that can be improved, we believe moving to a platform that the whole development team can openly communicate on is key to that goal.

I do appreciate the support of the community on this and I apologize if there was poor communication on my part, this has been an extremely difficult subject to navigate and I have tried to do my best. I know mistakes have been done, this has been a very difficult time for me. But we have new tools in place, to prevent any future communication mistakes like this.

DASH is just a name we still need to build our vision onto it and we need everyone’s support to push the project forward.

Over the next weeks we will be planning the name change and Logo Design work with the participation of the whole community, details regarding this will be revealed soon.

Seeing that we finally plan to address the communication make's me really excited. I have resisted getting involved in the pages of useless discussion. I was too busy shifting through looking for more tidbits on the solving the transaction scalability problems. Not to mention getting back to testing 0.11.2.x and masternode blinding. Instead pages and pages of names. Silly names.

It has been clear to me from the start that the people who resisted the change weren't thinking long term enough. They weren't thinking into the future where the proof of concept masternode network with two amazing services like ds+ and ix has grown into a full scale network utility offering 10's or 100's of services all providing long term stability and benefits to the entire eco system. An eco system that even in it's proof of concept state of 0.11.1.25 at today's prices can provide nearly instant transactions of almost $3000 in fiat. I'm not sure how many cases of wine that is that we could buy instantly I don't maths' well. Our amazing dev's have brought us here and they are truly our greatest asset. We need to always remember that the sweat equity that they bring to the project holds just as much value as the VC's signing cheques. I'm not going all crazy and saying don't make sweet video's and pay the dev team. I'm just saying remember they are invested too.

For me to solve the name issue I only have to only think about a two recent experiences I had with some Suits. In on experience I opened with, "Hey have you heard about Digital Cash?". In the other I opened with, "Hey have you heard about Darkcoin?". Neither of these people had ever heard of any crpyto let alone bitcoin. First conversation lasted about 15 minutes. Second never got started. If we are ever going to scale we have to be able to be talked about. Period.

I'm really excited that people can finally hear from Evan that he is truly sorry for any mistakes made and he is willing to grow and learn along with us all. This community has pushed the envelope of open source dev and it has been truly fun to be a part of. I just wish we could get back to the technology part of things. We are a technology and solution driven community with members that should be able to grow through learning and part of learning is making mistakes. Without mistakes we wouldn't have DGW, we wouldn't have the spork, and we surely wouldn't have ds+, ix, or masternode blinding.

What dash n't kill you only makes you stronger.

Keep Calm. Dash On.

ejrprwx.png

Cheers,

Tao

Besides Dasboard (see https://darkcointalk.org/posts/45405/) I don't like the others, they sound like Dogecoin-speak :smile:

I think more appropriate (and easier to understand for the end-user) would be:

Darksend Mixing -> Anonymize Funds
Darksend Balance -> Anonymized Funds

Besides Dasboard (see https://darkcointalk.org/posts/45405/) I don't like the others, they sound like Dogecoin-speak :smile:

I think more appropriate (and easier to understand for the end-user) would be:

Darksend Mixing -> Anonymize Funds
Darksend Balance -> Anonymized Funds
I would agree. We don't want this to be gimmicky. DA for -Dash Anonymized?

We need to keep things clean and non kitschy.

I would agree. We don't want this to be gimmicky. DA for -Dash Anonymized?

We need to keep things clean and non kitschy.
I was thinking even easier.

You can take your Digital Cash (Dash) and Mix (Darksend) it with others just like normal cash. You can also send it to others in an Instant (Instantx).

Maybe Mix and Instant are too simple, almost self explanatory though.

Edit: God damn it now you have me talking about names. Enough about names. You will all get your chance to name something.

Hey there MB (...) But I love your new icon. :cool:

I really like the logo as well! It fits right in with the logo of Visa and other similar brands; Simple, catches the eye, angled to make it appear moving and not too much going on so it looks good scaled down. I honestly think this logo is perfect! :smile:

Credits to Salkenex over at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg10749584#msg10749584 for the logo though!

eduffield UdjinM6
This is a bit off-topic from the discussions here, but I feel this is where people are reading at the moment:

The current privacy implementation is good for making it impossible to see who sent money, BUT you can still see how much is being sent to a specific address! This might be problematic and I had an idea which might solve it. My idea is very simple and involves stealth addresses which we would need to implement, but that is not so hard. Now imagine you send anonymized funds to a stealth address and that the denominations of your transaction are actually broken up to be sent to different addresses derived from the stealth address. The receiver could then simply mix the denominations in the different addresses a few times if they want as well. This would mean in addition to not seeing who sent coins to an address, you wouldn't actually be able to see what amount any receiver receives at all! This together with blinding and ip obfuscation makes me feel like an excited kid! :grin:

Back