Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

Official Statement On Rebranding To Dash

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by eduffield, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Bergstrom

Bergstrom Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

I stand behind the name change. It is a thing hearing from the supporters who are more likely to give an opinion, another to have an official poll.

• Like Like x 1
  2. tuppydog

tuppydog Member

Dash Address:
    XhyHv1cs4T54kD1HXVY7kYZMqo2Kg8hWu4
    I love the name change, great idea....!!!

3. Bergstrom

Foundation Member

eduffield

How come this was decided as if the community is dysfunctional not capable of your mastermind thinking? I do not like that this was decided opposed to the community. Were you afraid that we would give the wrong answer? Again, I am for the name change, NOT the way it was handled.

• Like Like x 1
  4. buster

buster Guest

I just got back from a friends Liquor Store (he owns three in my city). He knows about Darkcoin and is already invested. In conversation I brought up the re-brand announcement and asked him his take on the whole thing, not as an investor, or friend, but strictly as a merchant. He whole heatedly agreed (with me and most of this community) that the Darkcoin name comes with negative connotations and that it would be very hard as a merchant to accept something 'like that'. We started to talk about the new name, Dash. All I said was "It's basically digital cash" and right when I mentioned that I saw the light bulb tick on over his head.

Anyways sorry for the bad story telling I just thought that actual real use cases (even involving friends) might help some of the people who are holding back from accepting the announcement for re-branding. With the technology and name combined, the Ambassador Group should have a much easier time bringing merchants on board.

• Like Like x 5
  5. AndyDark

AndyDark Well-known Member

hey. I don't think it was decided like that, it was proposed and people on the whole rallied around it then it was made official yesterday. At first it's a big shock but if you go through all the posts, the reasons for changing are solid (make more friendly in the market, remove barriers to compete with Bitcoin with things like InstantX, getting privacy to the mass market, etc)

• Like Like x 4
  6. AndyDark

me too, digital cash clicks, everyone I spoke to loves it, the less technical they are the more they get it

• Like Like x 4
  7. coingun

coingun Active Member
    Masternode Owner/Operator

Ok so we have two names. Now we have two coins. We've talked a lot about needing two block chains. So that got me to why wouldn't we use all the benefits of the second coin to our advantage. I'm going to go way out on a limb and you guys talk me back in.

What if we kept the second coin. It became a merge mined coin that provided us a second blockchain for the potential use of later adding liquidity (think some of sort of stock split), providing a second mainnet for testing, as well as who knows provide that second relay network for tor related Digital Cash services.

I was trying to think of a way that we could have a more a live testnet. You could treat it like a stock split and use it to provide a lower level buy in for other new Digital Cash users. I am probably missing some fundamental reason as to why this could never work but perhaps it could help solve some of the problems we are having with our current box... discuss!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bergstrom

Foundation Member

And who decided against and for the name change? What do we know about it, really?

9. strix

strix Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

Good point. I'm not sure of the mechanics, but maybe letting Dashcoin coexist with Dash could prove advantageous down the road. It is certainly worth thinking about--provided it could be assured to not interfere with Dash development.

10. AndyDark

Where have you guys been lol? :)

EDIT: IDK know the internal mechanics of the decision, not that important to me I just want a good decision and after the last 4 days or whatever I think this is totally the way forward

• Like Like x 2
  11. TaoOfSatoshi

TaoOfSatoshi Grizzled Member

And people are free to vote...if you don't think it is the right way forward, Cryptsy and Bitfinex are just an InstantX away...
    vote with your wallet.:)

• Like Like x 1
  12. TaoOfSatoshi

I just went through the thread and realized no one posted this, so I will for it's sheer awesomeness:[​IMG]
    This is an amazing logo, and would get my vote if one was held today. Simple, classic, and it incorporates all of the elements that the brand is about.

• Like Like x 5
  13. coingun

coingun Active Member

Found found that gem on bct as well. Isn't it dashing? Oh my!

• Like Like x 1
  14. TaoOfSatoshi

Love at first sight...Would look right at home next to VISA/MC!

15. coingun

coingun Active Member

Page full of spinning go!

• Like Like x 2
  16. bhkien

bhkien Active Member
    Linguistic

17. aaxx1503

aaxx1503 Active Member

As much as I hate the way the name was decided (and I'm not too keen on the name itself), I'm always enthusiastic about great artwork and that transition is very very sweet. The "Digital Cash" font needs to be changed though. Dash Logo itself is visually pleasing. Who made this?

• Like Like x 2
  18. alex-ru

alex-ru Grizzled Member
    Dash Support Group

19. aaxx1503

aaxx1503 Active Member

Way worse.

20. alex-ru

alex-ru Grizzled Member
    Dash Support Group

Sexy ending. :D

• Like Like x 3
  21. oaxaca

oaxaca Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

• Like Like x 1
  22. Populandum

Populandum Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

As we are rebranding it's actually important to fix it all at the same time. Not fixing it now and waiting is a can of worms imho. As much as I loved the old logo back when we changed to it: Now this currency has grown up and needs something more soothing to the eye. I put my favorite suggestion for a new logo as profile picture for all of you see :)

23. camosoul

camosoul Grizzled Member

I think you don't realize how it's been handled.

Evan has been against changing the name for a very long time. The community has been pushing for a name change ever since the last name change...

He was finally coming around to the fact that his creation has changed so drastically, that it's name no longer fit it.

Of the considerations being made, DASH was high on the list. Then, there was a goof in some comment posting that revealed it, people jumped to conclusions, hands were forced, it was messy. Accidents happen. Get over it. I'm the biggest loudmouth critic of every tiny detail there is... I'm not whining.

Coming from me, that's the biggest STFU there has ever been.

• Like Like x 8
  24. Populandum

Foundation Member

Wow, I'm really impressed with the quality work :eek:

• Like Like x 3
  25. alex-ru

alex-ru Grizzled Member
    Dash Support Group

will Xpost:

I don't know what is decided about logo style:
    1. Should we inherit Darkcoin style now for the transition period (half a year?) - to show that we are same darkcoin and alive (not a new coin)?
    2. Or should we make a new perfect logo - to not have problems with lots of out-of-date logos.

If second option - it's better to organize a competition for professional designers - to get all best ideas. This name is perfect for creativity...

26. r-ando

r-ando Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

Hahaha I love the U with the I in it :) Lets power it up! :)

27. Populandum

Foundation Member

28. camosoul

camosoul Grizzled Member

I still think we need a slightly more complex version that includes the ideas of privacy/anonymity, the denomination concept, masternodes' role, etc... An infographic in motion. WE know what we mean by digital cash, but most of the dumb-masses thing BItCoin is already it. They're ignorant to what BitCoin is missing.

this is a fringe benefit in the minds of those who created the misinformation campaign about BitCoin being anon devil drug gun kill money. The objective was, and still is, to keep the dumb-masses thinking that BitCoin is anonymous, when, in fact, it makes them even more traceable than anything else ever... This is how the dark markets keep getting shut down, same old tactic; follow the money. Tho tor is imperfect, it's not the cause. The rendezvous system doesn't depend on exit node clusters. That whole argument doesn't mesh with reality and demonstrates that those promulgating it don't know what they're talking about. Making sloppy moves with your BTC because you falsely believe it is anonymous. That's what's doing it. That's what the misinformation campaign was built to cause.

Make micro deposits to dozens of accounts/addresses on dark market website. Watch the addresses they get withdrawn into. Oh look, it's a coinbase account with a name and address... This is not hard and it's exactly what the feds are doing. It doesn't give them 100% proof to prosecute, but it sure as hell narrows it down when dozens of those tiny deposits end up on one giant lump that can't possibly be anything other than the site admin... Or maybe a vendor. Either way, they're catching very large low-hanging fruit as a result of their misinformation campaign and the dumb-masses refusal to learn how things work and just take their misinformation at face value becasue they'retoo damn lazy and stupid to.... You know where I'm going with stupid people, I'll save you the trouble...

While DASH's intent is not to enable crime, it is crime where the flaw was revealed and made most obvious. Criminals, well, smart criminals, value their privacy more than anyone else. The lack of it in their realm is the most obvious first place where it would be exposed. It would probably live on as a quiet lie if not for such splashy examples of failure.

We need an animated infographic that tells us a bit more or people are going to thin this is a solution in search of a problem. That is, in fact, the root of almost every DASH detractor's argument. They've drunk the Kool Aide, and now they share it and even argue it's virtues. And army of stupid people falling for misinformation and spreading it. And all we need to combat it is a slightly longer infographic...

The up-side to "DASH" is that even if the copyright mess is a mess and goes bad, change one letter.

ZASH, VASH, BASH?, LASH, GASH, PASH, FASH(FAS(T)H?), etc... You can play with it so very easily and since it barely makes a point anyway, you can make the point no matter how you slice it... No matter how you change it, it sucks no worse than it already does...

#148 camosoul, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2015
  29. yidakee

yidakee Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

Who's been copying my friend's idea?? meeehhh.... very lame... Or logical innocent coincidence?

[​IMG]

30. Populandum

Foundation Member

Changing the logo later will cause the old logo to follow Dash into the future. I even still see the oldest Darkcoin logo pop up sometimes..
    upload_2015-3-13_21-20-50.jpeg

I think publicity and awareness about the name change is the way to go.

• Like Like x 1