Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

Official Statement On Rebranding To Dash

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by eduffield, Mar 12, 2015.

1. TaoOfSatoshi

TaoOfSatoshi Grizzled Member

I presented some ideas to Evan about the DASH wallet, let me know what you guys think:

Overview Screen ===> DASHboard

Darksend Mixing ===> DASH! (The simple term DASH! would be to create Digital Cash)

Darksend Balance ===> DASH STASH

Darksend ===> Eliminated. Give users two options: Send from Normal Funds or DASH STASH...

Cheers,

Tao

P.S. Looking forward to the next chapter in our journey together. We really have a great community!

• Like Like x 2
  2. TanteStefana

TanteStefana Grizzled Member
    Foundation Member

Seriously, Tao, can I have some of what you're taking? I need it desperately! Thanks :)

• Like Like x 3
  3. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

Glad this very important point has not been overlooked. While I party from the Darkcoin name with a heavy heart, I congratulate eduffield for taking a lead and making this decision as a real leader should. I am also grateful for Evan's articulate explanation and for all the members contributing to this heated debate.

I'd also like all of us to ponder Evan's words -- "I know mistakes have been done, this has been a very difficult time for me." -- and appreciate how great and humble man he is. He has created a breakthrough technology, adding one mind-blowing feature after another to it and still has time and humility to deal with all of us, our emotions, reactions, misunderstandings, hurts and what not, while never complaining about his own feelings.

He stands behind this project with his full name, he puts his money where his mouth is and pours his heart and endless hours into the project that benefits all of us. We should all be deeply grateful to have been given the chance to find our place in the dark ;) and be a part of something big. I know I am. Grateful to Evan, that is.

• Like Like x 9
  4. coingun

coingun Active Member
    Masternode Owner/Operator

Seeing that we finally plan to address the communication make's me really excited. I have resisted getting involved in the pages of useless discussion. I was too busy shifting through looking for more tidbits on the solving the transaction scalability problems. Not to mention getting back to testing 0.11.2.x and masternode blinding. Instead pages and pages of names. Silly names.

It has been clear to me from the start that the people who resisted the change weren't thinking long term enough. They weren't thinking into the future where the proof of concept masternode network with two amazing services like ds+ and ix has grown into a full scale network utility offering 10's or 100's of services all providing long term stability and benefits to the entire eco system. An eco system that even in it's proof of concept state of 0.11.1.25 at today's prices can provide nearly instant transactions of almost $3000 in fiat. I'm not sure how many cases of wine that is that we could buy instantly I don't maths' well. Our amazing dev's have brought us here and they are truly our greatest asset. We need to always remember that the sweat equity that they bring to the project holds just as much value as the VC's signing cheques. I'm not going all crazy and saying don't make sweet video's and pay the dev team. I'm just saying remember they are invested too.

For me to solve the name issue I only have to only think about a two recent experiences I had with some Suits. In on experience I opened with, "Hey have you heard about Digital Cash?". In the other I opened with, "Hey have you heard about Darkcoin?". Neither of these people had ever heard of any crpyto let alone bitcoin. First conversation lasted about 15 minutes. Second never got started. If we are ever going to scale we have to be able to be talked about. Period.

I'm really excited that people can finally hear from Evan that he is truly sorry for any mistakes made and he is willing to grow and learn along with us all. This community has pushed the envelope of open source dev and it has been truly fun to be a part of. I just wish we could get back to the technology part of things. We are a technology and solution driven community with members that should be able to grow through learning and part of learning is making mistakes. Without mistakes we wouldn't have DGW, we wouldn't have the spork, and we surely wouldn't have ds+, ix, or masternode blinding.

What dash n't kill you only makes you stronger.

Keep Calm. Dash On.

• Like Like x 12
  5. oaxaca

oaxaca Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

6. crowning

crowning Well-known Member

Besides Dasboard (see https://darkcointalk.org/posts/45405/) I don't like the others, they sound like Dogecoin-speak :)

I think more appropriate (and easier to understand for the end-user) would be:

Darksend Mixing -> Anonymize Funds
    Darksend Balance -> Anonymized Funds

• Like Like x 5
  7. Cowan

Cowan New Member

When will the Let`s Talk Bitcoin appearence be?

8. bigrcanada

bigrcanada Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

I would agree. We don't want this to be gimmicky. DA for -Dash Anonymized?

We need to keep things clean and non kitschy.

• Like Like x 4
  9. coingun

coingun Active Member
    Masternode Owner/Operator

I was thinking even easier.

You can take your Digital Cash (Dash) and Mix (Darksend) it with others just like normal cash. You can also send it to others in an Instant (Instantx).

Maybe Mix and Instant are too simple, almost self explanatory though.

Edit: God damn it now you have me talking about names. Enough about names. You will all get your chance to name something.

10. Populandum

Populandum Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

I really like the logo as well! It fits right in with the logo of Visa and other similar brands; Simple, catches the eye, angled to make it appear moving and not too much going on so it looks good scaled down. I honestly think this logo is perfect! :)

Credits to Salkenex over at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg10749584#msg10749584 for the logo though!

eduffield UdjinM6
    This is a bit off-topic from the discussions here, but I feel this is where people are reading at the moment:

The current privacy implementation is good for making it impossible to see who sent money, BUT you can still see how much is being sent to a specific address! This might be problematic and I had an idea which might solve it. My idea is very simple and involves stealth addresses which we would need to implement, but that is not so hard. Now imagine you send anonymized funds to a stealth address and that the denominations of your transaction are actually broken up to be sent to different addresses derived from the stealth address. The receiver could then simply mix the denominations in the different addresses a few times if they want as well. This would mean in addition to not seeing who sent coins to an address, you wouldn't actually be able to see what amount any receiver receives at all! This together with blinding and ip obfuscation makes me feel like an excited kid! :D

• Like Like x 1
  11. Populandum

Foundation Member

I don't even know what to say, lol, you're awesome :D

12. balu

balu Well-known Member
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member Dash Support Group

What about the legal stuff? Could we obtain the trademark for dash? I hope so - without that this statement would be a bit premature.

13. Populandum

Foundation Member

And to the people that want to keep the old logo.. Please look at it for a while and you will realize it isn't really that great..
    upload_2015-3-13_9-29-5.png

• Like Like x 1
  14. oblox

oblox Well-known Member

Yeah, I'm hoping that's the case. I get the excitement about the rebrand but ducks in order are crucial to prevent further headache down the road. Would have been nice to see the actual filing number confirmed or clarification that this isn't a lingering overhang. I would hope that because of the announcement, this is the case.

15. patrolman

patrolman Member

I couldn't agree more. I read the first post in this thread, linked from bitcointalk and the very next post on BCT was "cool we are dash now" and the following "DASH it is!". I had to read eduffield's post again, but the statement "This resulted in me buying another coin “Dashcoin” and challenging their trademark application" does not tell me anything about the success of the trademark application challenge.

16. alex-ru

alex-ru Grizzled Member
    Dash Support Group

I guess because it is impossible to make it quick.
    Lets look for example on a very strange unclaimed name http://www.trademarkia.com/monero-86339137.html
    No business is using it, On July 16, 2014, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed - But still having problems - "OPPOSITION PENDING".

#106 alex-ru, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  17. IAmNotDoritos

IAmNotDoritos New Member

Terrible decision

18. Sub-Ether

Sub-Ether Well-known Member

Its a known way big companies grab control of ideas, even Apple did it, wasn't the GUI invented by Xerox and then they got sued for their own idea.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_troll

I hope Evan Duffield takes as long as he needs to get this important legal juncture in Darkcoin's evolution correct, there is no rush. its better to do correctly and clearly.

19. f2000

f2000 Member

I think we run the risk of cheapening the name if we incorporate dash/dark into everything...less is sometimes more. Same goes with trying to fit an acronym around Dash.

#109 f2000, Mar 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  20. BenTucker

BenTucker Member

I'm still calling it InstAnon....lol.

But I hope this has the desired result. It's the functional aspects of the coin that attracted me, not the name. It will continue to be the functional aspects that attract me, not the name. Good fortune to us all.

• Like Like x 1
  21. moli

moli Grizzled Member

I asked a lawyer and he said to me that a trademark challenge can take just hours or years to resolve, and "the shorter ones happen when the parties reach some settlement agreement and the complaint is withdrawn, usually accompanied by a payment or something". But if this isn't resolved, Evan is taking a big risk, and so are we.

• Like Like x 4
  22. Lukas_Jackson

Lukas_Jackson Member

Tao, don't try to make it look grotesque. You have a strange habit. (it's not an offence)
    Overview, mix, instant.
    If someone want to know what's behind 'mix', then he can read wiki.

#112 Lukas_Jackson, Mar 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  23. TaoOfSatoshi

TaoOfSatoshi Grizzled Member

Thanks all for your input.
    Yeah, I agree about the Dogecoin thing, but don't forget we are trying to get away from the "anonymous" angle and highlighting privacy.

Agreed.

Thank you for your kind words!

Cool.

#113 TaoOfSatoshi, Mar 13, 2015
  24. strix

strix Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

You guys (that includes you too tante ;-) are awesome. The breadth of creativity, the fierce defense of individual viewpoints combined with genuine respect for each other, set this community apart as much as Evan and the Dev's technical innovation. I particularly appreciate the interplay between Evan and the community. His willingness to bend and adapt (seems I remember his opposition to rebranding) and the community's respect for his wisdom, are together creating a movement that will change the world for the better.

FWIW--Movements don't need to concern themselves with things like trademarks. Corporations do. No one but the market can stop me from releasing a new open-source operating system and calling it Linux. If the name sticks in the market, no court can stop it. They can stop me from forming a Corp. with the name, or sticking it on a product I sell, or a URL. Registration seeks protection for monopolies, from the State--and creates obligations to the States granting those protections. Be careful...

• Like Like x 1
  25. TanteStefana

Foundation Member

I don't think there is anything wrong with the D logo, but aside from that, it's well recognized. Keeping something that visual the same would be immensely helpful, IMO, for this transition. I really don't think we should go there at all. In fact, the reason we tried so hard to find a name that starts with D is so we could keep the logo. Anyway, it's another can of worms if nothing else. lets leave that for another time in the future if need be :)

• Like Like x 1
  26. TanteStefana

Foundation Member

Yah, I agree we all try to be productive for the most part ;P

Anyway, is that true? I mean do you know about such things? Is it a movement when an individual is kind of in charge like Evan is? Just curious, it's so much red tape and confusing!

• Like Like x 1
  27. Bergstrom

Bergstrom Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

Did I miss the poll or was this an executive decision?

• Like Like x 2
  28. JGCMiner

JGCMiner Moderator

There was no poll, but it is pretty obvious if you read this forum and the BCT thread that the community was rallying around DASH. Hell, without any prompt from Evan the BCT thread has basically been an informal DASH logo design competition for the past couple days now. ;)

29. strix

strix Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

Tante, I was just trying to catch up on DCT, and saw your post on democracy/republic. I don't have time to give you a full answer now, but you are tapping into a wellspring that can take you many interesting places. Few seem to understand the difference between Common and Statutory Law. In the same way that democracy leads to oppression, SL leads to slavery for the masses. People have been kowtowed into believing they must ask permission from States for almost everything. They want laws which protect them from their own poor judgment. Under Common Law, if you obey all the rules, you can still be judged by a jury of your peers for running over your neighbor as he crossed the road. Under Statutory Law, you have a "license" to kill if you are obeying the law and he is jaywalking--even if you could have avoided it. It boils down to a question of where rights are derived from. The US Declaration of Ind. expressed one view, the UN Declaration of Human Rights, another. In either case "Law" must be violated to be punished.

A crude quick example: The US Constitution guarantees you right to posses and travel with your property, yet every State declares that "driving" is a privilege, not a right. How did this come about?

More later, when I have time...

30. strix

strix Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

Tante, I'm sorry--my post above was in response to this question, which I forgot to reference.:oops:
    Oh, and yes--I do know about such things, having gone through the fire, and survived because I had NOT sought registration and trademarks.