• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Official Statement On Rebranding To Dash

eduffield

Core Developer
Darkcoin’s vision has always been to create a trust-less, decentralized , private and fast payment platform for the benefit of the majority. This is our ethos and our most important goal, recently it became apparent that our branding was getting in the way of reaching the people we were trying to help, that is when I knew that in order to accomplish our vision we would need to change our name. Our ideals remain intact and we will continue to pursue them under any branding we have, now and in the future.

Months ago the community organically came up with the name “Dash” as a possible rebranding idea of Darkcoin, I took notice of this and the good deal of support it had in the forums. This lead to us researching the Dash brand for a few months. In the process of doing some investigation, we found that there was another company in the financial space that was filing a trademark. This resulted in me buying another coin “Dashcoin” and challenging their trademark application.

There is some misunderstanding in the community about why there was a quick move to announce this without a previous debate on the forums, as I originally intended. It was simply the result of a mistake on github, where I posted a comment to the Darkcoin github account with the Dashcoin github account login. I felt it was best to show the community where I was with the research, rather than let rampant speculation move through the community about why we were in control of the Dashcoin project. Acquiring Dashcoin is no different than getting a previously existing domain name, the acquired project itself will not continue only the DRK project will move forward under a new name. I had to make some really quick decisions and I apologize for the confusion that resulted from my mistakes.

That’s all in the past now and after careful consideration, reading all the posts from everyone for the last few days and weighing every argument, I believe it is best if we make it official that we’re going with DASH. At this point our priority is to have closure so we can move on, the uncertainty hurts the community and markets, more than any renaming options and prevents us from moving forward with development.

Communication has been an issue for us, as Darkcoin has quickly grown over the last 14 months. We have grown so fast that I couldn’t keep everyone in the loop at all times. We’re addressing this by moving all development coordination to Slack, which has already had a great positive impact on the project. Part of managing something that grows this quickly is addressing weak areas that can be improved, we believe moving to a platform that the whole development team can openly communicate on is key to that goal.

I do appreciate the support of the community on this and I apologize if there was poor communication on my part, this has been an extremely difficult subject to navigate and I have tried to do my best. I know mistakes have been done, this has been a very difficult time for me. But we have new tools in place, to prevent any future communication mistakes like this.

DASH is just a name we still need to build our vision onto it and we need everyone’s support to push the project forward.

Over the next weeks we will be planning the name change and Logo Design work with the participation of the whole community, details regarding this will be revealed soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Darkcoin’s vision has always been to create a trust-less, decentralized , private and fast payment platform for the benefit of the majority. This is our ethos and our most important goal, recently it became apparent that our branding was getting in the way of reaching the people we were trying to help, that is when I knew that in order to accomplish our vision we would need to change our name. Our ideals remain intact and we will continue to pursue them under any branding we have, now and in the future.

Months ago the community organically came up with the name “Dash” as a possible rebranding idea of Darkcoin, I took notice of this and the good deal of support it had in the forums. This lead to us researching the Dash brand for a few months. In the process of doing some investigation, we found that there was another company in the financial space that was filing a trademark. This resulted in the me buying another coin “Dashcoin” and challenging their trademark application.

There is some misunderstanding in the community about why there was a quick move to announce this without a previous debate on the forums, as I originally intended. It was simply the result of a mistake on github, where I posted a comment to the Darkcoin github account with the Dashcoin github account login. I felt it was best to show the community where I was with the research, rather than let rampant speculation move through the community about why we were in control of the Dashcoin project. Acquiring Dashcoin is no different than getting a previously existing domain name, the acquired project itself will not continue only the DRK project will move forward under a new name. I had to make some really quick decisions and I apologize for the confusion that resulted from my mistakes.

That’s all in the past now and after careful consideration, reading all the posts from everyone for the last few days and weighing every argument, I believe it is best if we make it official that we’re going with DASH. At this point our priority is to have closure so we can move on, the uncertainty hurts the community and markets, more than any renaming options and prevents us from moving forward with development.

Communication has been an issue for us, as Darkcoin has quickly grown over the last 14 months. We have grown so fast that I couldn’t keep everyone in the loop at all times. We’re addressing this by moving all development coordination to Slack, which has already had a great positive impact on the project. Part of managing something that grows this quickly is addressing weak areas that can be improved, we believe moving to a platform that the whole development team can openly communicate on is key to that goal.

I do appreciate the support of the community on this and I apologize if there was poor communication on my part, this has been an extremely difficult subject to navigate and I have tried to do my best. I know mistakes have been done, this has been a very difficult time for me. But we have new tools in place, to prevent any future communication mistakes like this.

DASH is just a name we still need to build our vision onto it and we need everyone’s support to push the project forward.

Over the next weeks we will be planning the name change and Logo Design work with the participation of the whole community, details regarding this will be revealed soon.

I really appreciate your leadership on this Evan. it is very difficult. There will always be people upset and people who feel left out, but that's just how these things roll.

I think the future has just become infinitely more positive and the potential-for-success factor has gone up immeasurably with this plan to change Darkcoin's name.

Congratulations and thanks very much.

In addition Evan, I really think you need to make a follow-up release statement about the scalability plans as it was completely lost in all the noise and acrimony around the name change.

After giving it some thought, I came up with a scalable architecture that supports billions of transactions per day.

Specifications of this strategy:
  • The blockchain will automatically become much more anonymous than Bitcoin is.
  • Fees per transaction will be very, very low. Let the micro-payment revolution begin.
  • Zero-centralization
  • Scalable to billions of transactions per day
  • Requires a 2-tier network
  • Very low blockchain bloat

This is an extraordinarily important announcement.

How is the protection of the name Darkcoin going to be handled? If not protected, there will be a fork of DASH named Darkcoin made tomorrow and ton of intentional brand confusion from detractors.

Glad a firm decision has been made.
Please clarify, does this mean all exchanges will have to change the ticker to DSH?

I think a lot of the initial community reaction was knee jerk and had quite a bit of emotion tied to it. Overall the experience was hard for everybody, I can only imagine what you have been going through over the last few days. Not to mention, I'm sure you want to get back to coding and improving the project. This is just another hurdle we as a community need to get over. The best way to do that is by trusting in your leadership skills and the decisions you make. I believe you made the right choices, especially considering how hard it must have been for you to make those choices.

I think DASH would be better. Dogecoin already uses a 4 letter ticker, so it should not be a problem.
Yer, taking someone's else ticker seems like a bad idea, create a new one is better.
So what happens to the real dashcoin then, heard its still listed on a couple of exchanges, is it a case of coin death and rebirth in one then?

Dashcoin thread:
Quote from: dewdeded on March 10, 2015, 06:20:58 PM
Maybe Evan want to move to ring singatures.
wink.gif

He just wants the name Dash.
Well to bad, its already taken, and as someone suggested on IRC, if they take the name DASH, DASHcoin will re-brand itself to DarkCoin. How you like them apples now?

In addition Evan, I really think you need to make a follow-up release statement about the scalability plans as it was completely lost in all the noise and acrimony around the name change.

This is an extraordinarily important announcement.
I'm eager to see how scalability issue is going to be solved using masternodes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree. If we're going for widespread adoption, it's better to make it ISO compliant. Three letters, beginning with X (to denote a supranational currency). Maybe something like XDS.

Swiss Franc (XDS) Currency)
Australian Dollar
(XDA) Currency)
XINGDA INT'L HOLDINGS (XDH:German Stock Exchange)
Canadian Dollar (XDC) Currency)

FXDD, FX Direct Dealers online forex trading <<<<<<<- Close but no cigar

Tell'n ya: XDD

edit: as I add more to prove we need XDD

Last edited:
Wonderful! I'm glad that we can close this debate and move on, that was one of my biggest worries, taking too much time.

Communication is key, and I'm glad that this will be worked on in the future.

I'm confident that we will greatly succeed with this name, there are so many possibilities. Let the DASH chapter begin! There is much to do...

Back