• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Official Statement On Rebranding To Dash

I presented some ideas to Evan about the DASH wallet, let me know what you guys think:

Overview Screen ===> DASHboard

Darksend Mixing ===> DASH! (The simple term DASH! would be to create Digital Cash)

Darksend Balance ===> DASH STASH

Darksend ===> Eliminated. Give users two options: Send from Normal Funds or DASH STASH...

Cheers,

Tao

P.S. Looking forward to the next chapter in our journey together. We really have a great community!
I don't even know what to say, lol, you're awesome :grin:

What about the legal stuff? Could we obtain the trademark for dash? I hope so - without that this statement would be a bit premature.

And to the people that want to keep the old logo.. Please look at it for a while and you will realize it isn't really that great..
upload_2015-3-13_9-29-5.png

What about the legal stuff? Could we obtain the trademark for dash? I hope so - without that this statement would be a bit premature.
Yeah, I'm hoping that's the case. I get the excitement about the rebrand but ducks in order are crucial to prevent further headache down the road. Would have been nice to see the actual filing number confirmed or clarification that this isn't a lingering overhang. I would hope that because of the announcement, this is the case.

Yeah, I'm hoping that's the case. I get the excitement about the rebrand but ducks in order are crucial to prevent further headache down the road. Would have been nice to see the actual filing number confirmed or clarification that this isn't a lingering overhang. I would hope that because of the announcement, this is the case.

I couldn't agree more. I read the first post in this thread, linked from bitcointalk and the very next post on BCT was "cool we are dash now" and the following "DASH it is!". I had to read eduffield's post again, but the statement "This resulted in me buying another coin “Dashcoin” and challenging their trademark application" does not tell me anything about the success of the trademark application challenge.

I couldn't agree more. I read the first post in this thread, linked from bitcointalk and the very next post on BCT was "cool we are dash now" and the following "DASH it is!". I had to read eduffield's post again, but the statement "This resulted in me buying another coin “Dashcoin” and challenging their trademark application" does not tell me anything about the success of the trademark application challenge.

I guess because it is impossible to make it quick.
Lets look for example on a very strange unclaimed name http://www.trademarkia.com/monero-86339137.html
No business is using it, On July 16, 2014, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed - But still having problems - "OPPOSITION PENDING".

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess because it is impossible to make it quick.
Lets look for example on a very strange unclaimed name http://www.trademarkia.com/monero-86339137.html
No business is using it, On July 16, 2014, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed - But still having problems - "OPPOSITION PENDING".
Its a known way big companies grab control of ideas, even Apple did it, wasn't the GUI invented by Xerox and then they got sued for their own idea.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_troll

I hope Evan Duffield takes as long as he needs to get this important legal juncture in Darkcoin's evolution correct, there is no rush. its better to do correctly and clearly.

I presented some ideas to Evan about the DASH wallet, let me know what you guys think:

Darksend Mixing ===> DASH! (The simple term DASH! would be to create Digital Cash)

Darksend ===> Eliminated. Give users two options: Send from Normal Funds or DASH STASH...

Cheers,

Tao

P.S. Looking forward to the next chapter in our journey together. We really have a great community!

I think we run the risk of cheapening the name if we incorporate dash/dark into everything...less is sometimes more. Same goes with trying to fit an acronym around Dash.

I'm still calling it InstAnon....lol.

But I hope this has the desired result. It's the functional aspects of the coin that attracted me, not the name. It will continue to be the functional aspects that attract me, not the name. Good fortune to us all.

I asked a lawyer and he said to me that a trademark challenge can take just hours or years to resolve, and "the shorter ones happen when the parties reach some settlement agreement and the complaint is withdrawn, usually accompanied by a payment or something". But if this isn't resolved, Evan is taking a big risk, and so are we.

Cheers,

Tao

Tao, don't try to make it look grotesque. You have a strange habit. (it's not an offence)
Overview, mix, instant.
If someone want to know what's behind 'mix', then he can read wiki.

Thanks all for your input.
Besides Dasboard (see https://darkcointalk.org/posts/45405/) I don't like the others, they sound like Dogecoin-speak :smile:

I think more appropriate (and easier to understand for the end-user) would be:

Darksend Mixing -> Anonymize Funds
Darksend Balance -> Anonymized Funds
Yeah, I agree about the Dogecoin thing, but don't forget we are trying to get away from the "anonymous" angle and highlighting privacy.

I would agree. We don't want this to be gimmicky. DA for -Dash Anonymized?

We need to keep things clean and non kitschy.
Agreed.

I don't even know what to say, lol, you're awesome :grin:
Thank you for your kind words!

Tao, don't try to make it look grotesque. You have a strange habit. (it's not an offence)
Overview, mix, instant.
If someone want to know what's behind 'mix', then he can read wiki.
Cool.

You guys (that includes you too tante ;-) are awesome. The breadth of creativity, the fierce defense of individual viewpoints combined with genuine respect for each other, set this community apart as much as Evan and the Dev's technical innovation. I particularly appreciate the interplay between Evan and the community. His willingness to bend and adapt (seems I remember his opposition to rebranding) and the community's respect for his wisdom, are together creating a movement that will change the world for the better.

FWIW--Movements don't need to concern themselves with things like trademarks. Corporations do. No one but the market can stop me from releasing a new open-source operating system and calling it Linux. If the name sticks in the market, no court can stop it. They can stop me from forming a Corp. with the name, or sticking it on a product I sell, or a URL. Registration seeks protection for monopolies, from the State--and creates obligations to the States granting those protections. Be careful...

And to the people that want to keep the old logo.. Please look at it for a while and you will realize it isn't really that great..
View attachment 1135

I don't think there is anything wrong with the D logo, but aside from that, it's well recognized. Keeping something that visual the same would be immensely helpful, IMO, for this transition. I really don't think we should go there at all. In fact, the reason we tried so hard to find a name that starts with D is so we could keep the logo. Anyway, it's another can of worms if nothing else. lets leave that for another time in the future if need be :)

FWIW--Movements don't need to concern themselves with things like trademarks. Corporations do. No one but the market can stop me from releasing a new open-source operating system and calling it Linux. If the name sticks in the market, no court can stop it. They can stop me from forming a Corp. with the name, or sticking it on a product I sell, or a URL. Registration seeks protection for monopolies, from the State--and creates obligations to the States granting those protections. Be careful...
Yah, I agree we all try to be productive for the most part ;P

Anyway, is that true? I mean do you know about such things? Is it a movement when an individual is kind of in charge like Evan is? Just curious, it's so much red tape and confusing!

There was no poll, but it is pretty obvious if you read this forum and the BCT thread that the community was rallying around DASH. Hell, without any prompt from Evan the BCT thread has basically been an informal DASH logo design competition for the past couple days now. :wink:

Tante, I was just trying to catch up on DCT, and saw your post on democracy/republic. I don't have time to give you a full answer now, but you are tapping into a wellspring that can take you many interesting places. Few seem to understand the difference between Common and Statutory Law. In the same way that democracy leads to oppression, SL leads to slavery for the masses. People have been kowtowed into believing they must ask permission from States for almost everything. They want laws which protect them from their own poor judgment. Under Common Law, if you obey all the rules, you can still be judged by a jury of your peers for running over your neighbor as he crossed the road. Under Statutory Law, you have a "license" to kill if you are obeying the law and he is jaywalking--even if you could have avoided it. It boils down to a question of where rights are derived from. The US Declaration of Ind. expressed one view, the UN Declaration of Human Rights, another. In either case "Law" must be violated to be punished.

A crude quick example: The US Constitution guarantees you right to posses and travel with your property, yet every State declares that "driving" is a privilege, not a right. How did this come about?

More later, when I have time...

Yah, I agree we all try to be productive for the most part ;P

Anyway, is that true? I mean do you know about such things? Is it a movement when an individual is kind of in charge like Evan is? Just curious, it's so much red tape and confusing!
Tante, I'm sorry--my post above was in response to this question, which I forgot to reference.:oops:
Oh, and yes--I do know about such things, having gone through the fire, and survived because I had NOT sought registration and trademarks.

Back