• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Official Statement On Rebranding To Dash

There was no poll, but it is pretty obvious if you read this forum and the BCT thread that the community was rallying around DASH. Hell, without any prompt from Evan the BCT thread has basically been an informal DASH logo design competition for the past couple days now. :wink:

I stand behind the name change. It is a thing hearing from the supporters who are more likely to give an opinion, another to have an official poll.

Communication has been an issue for us, as Darkcoin has quickly grown over the last 14 months. We have grown so fast that I couldn’t keep everyone in the loop at all times. We’re addressing this by moving all development coordination to Slack, which has already had a great positive impact on the project. Part of managing something that grows this quickly is addressing weak areas that can be improved, we believe moving to a platform that the whole development team can openly communicate on is key to that goal.

eduffield

How come this was decided as if the community is dysfunctional not capable of your mastermind thinking? I do not like that this was decided opposed to the community. Were you afraid that we would give the wrong answer? Again, I am for the name change, NOT the way it was handled.

I just got back from a friends Liquor Store (he owns three in my city). He knows about Darkcoin and is already invested. In conversation I brought up the re-brand announcement and asked him his take on the whole thing, not as an investor, or friend, but strictly as a merchant. He whole heatedly agreed (with me and most of this community) that the Darkcoin name comes with negative connotations and that it would be very hard as a merchant to accept something 'like that'. We started to talk about the new name, Dash. All I said was "It's basically digital cash" and right when I mentioned that I saw the light bulb tick on over his head.

Anyways sorry for the bad story telling I just thought that actual real use cases (even involving friends) might help some of the people who are holding back from accepting the announcement for re-branding. With the technology and name combined, the Ambassador Group should have a much easier time bringing merchants on board.

eduffield

How come this was decided as if the community is dysfunctional not capable of your mastermind thinking? I do not like that this was decided opposed to the community. Were you afraid that we would give the wrong answer? Again, I am for the name change, NOT the way it was handled.

hey. I don't think it was decided like that, it was proposed and people on the whole rallied around it then it was made official yesterday. At first it's a big shock but if you go through all the posts, the reasons for changing are solid (make more friendly in the market, remove barriers to compete with Bitcoin with things like InstantX, getting privacy to the mass market, etc)

I just got back from a friends Liquor Store (he owns three in my city). He knows about Darkcoin and is already invested. In conversation I brought up the re-brand announcement and asked him his take on the whole thing, not as an investor, or friend, but strictly as a merchant. He whole heatedly agreed (with me and most of this community) that the Darkcoin name comes with negative connotations and that it would be very hard as a merchant to accept something 'like that'. We started to talk about the new name, Dash. All I said was "It's basically digital cash" and right when I mentioned that I saw the light bulb tick on over his head.

Anyways sorry for the bad story telling I just thought that actual real use cases (even involving friends) might help some of the people who are holding back from accepting the announcement for re-branding. With the technology and name combined, the Ambassador Group should have a much easier time bringing merchants on board.

me too, digital cash clicks, everyone I spoke to loves it, the less technical they are the more they get it

Ok so we have two names. Now we have two coins. We've talked a lot about needing two block chains. So that got me to why wouldn't we use all the benefits of the second coin to our advantage. I'm going to go way out on a limb and you guys talk me back in.

What if we kept the second coin. It became a merge mined coin that provided us a second blockchain for the potential use of later adding liquidity (think some of sort of stock split), providing a second mainnet for testing, as well as who knows provide that second relay network for tor related Digital Cash services.

I was trying to think of a way that we could have a more a live testnet. You could treat it like a stock split and use it to provide a lower level buy in for other new Digital Cash users. I am probably missing some fundamental reason as to why this could never work but perhaps it could help solve some of the problems we are having with our current box... discuss!

hey. I don't think it was decided like that, it was proposed and people on the whole rallied around it then it was made official yesterday. At first it's a big shock but if you go through all the posts, the reasons for changing are solid (make more friendly in the market, remove barriers to compete with Bitcoin with things like InstantX, getting privacy to the mass market, etc)

And who decided against and for the name change? What do we know about it, really?

Good point. I'm not sure of the mechanics, but maybe letting Dashcoin coexist with Dash could prove advantageous down the road. It is certainly worth thinking about--provided it could be assured to not interfere with Dash development.

Where have you guys been lol? :)

EDIT: IDK know the internal mechanics of the decision, not that important to me I just want a good decision and after the last 4 days or whatever I think this is totally the way forward

Where have you guys been lol? :)

EDIT: IDK know the internal mechanics of the decision, not that important to me I just want a good decision and after the last 4 days or whatever I think this is totally the way forward
And people are free to vote...if you don't think it is the right way forward, Cryptsy and Bitfinex are just an InstantX away...
vote with your wallet.:smile:

I just went through the thread and realized no one posted this, so I will for it's sheer awesomeness:
IYbPiNz.gif

This is an amazing logo, and would get my vote if one was held today. Simple, classic, and it incorporates all of the elements that the brand is about.

I just went through the thread and realized no one posted this, so I will for it's sheer awesomeness:
IYbPiNz.gif

This is an amazing logo, and would get my vote if one was held today. Simple, classic, and it incorporates all of the elements that the brand is about.
Found found that gem on bct as well. Isn't it dashing? Oh my!

IYbPiNz.gif

As much as I hate the way the name was decided (and I'm not too keen on the name itself), I'm always enthusiastic about great artwork and that transition is very very sweet. The "Digital Cash" font needs to be changed though. Dash Logo itself is visually pleasing. Who made this?

Back