Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

What the hell is wrong with this picture? i thought we were a decentralized project?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheDashGuy, Jun 21, 2016.

1. GrandMasterDash

GrandMasterDash Well-known Member
    Masternode Owner/Operator

For good conversation, don't talk about money, religion and politics :-D The irony that some people came to dash because of the hostility in bitcoin! But having said that, I think you'll find, the higher the profile a coin, the more criticism you'll see.. after all, it is money...

But I think people separate their money from politics; people may have very strong / hostile political views, but it doesn't stop them using US dollars.

As for MN distribution, I've seen pages showing the distribution by hosting provider and by voting, but I couldn't find those links again.. so if someone else can help, please do. From what I remember, duffield has 300+ nodes (and still asks for his 5 dash back with each proposal!).. and there are a few devs with 100+ nodes. Half of all nodes sit on top of amazon (centralisation), and a list of public IPs for all nodes is always available (ready to be blocked at a moment's notice). MNs basically take the hit to protect end users privacy.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. demo

demo Active Member

Dash Address:
    XnpT2YQaYpyh7F9twM6EtDMn1TCDCEEgNX
    The above sentence is extremely important and one of the main reasons I believe dash is a bubble. One of the main reasons I do not invest on it.

I have made a proposal to solve this problem, but MNs (aka the persons hiding behind amazon ;) ) are not interested in it.

#92 demo, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  3. tungfa

tungfa Administrator
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member Masternode Owner/Operator Moderator

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. GrandMasterDash

Ah yes, thank you, that's the link I was looking for... I was incorrect, 42% of the nodes are sitting on just three cloud services; Choopa, OVH and Amazon. Still centralised but things are improving a little

5. GrandMasterDash

Can this link be placed somewhere more obvious, such as the Resources section of dash.org? Maybe it's linked somewhere but I had not found it earlier.

6. tungfa

tungfa Administrator
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member Masternode Owner/Operator Moderator

[​IMG]
    :rolleyes:

7. polp

polp New Member

8. GrandMasterDash

No, that does not appear on the dash.org menu, only on /forum

9. cmerriamleith

cmerriamleith New Member

First, it's obvious that I am new to DASH, but my interest to come here was because I was a follower of Amanda Johnson. In her last 3 Youtube posts, she recommended DASH. So your new PR is working. I do not own any DASH or have any ownership in the DASH DAO. But I am comparing DASH versus Etherium.

But I see a slight conflict of interest in the above statement between disclosure of ownership of the DASH DAO masternodes and the anonymous use of DASH as a Crytpo. These are two very different and distinct topics and in my mind they should not be combined, mixed or confused.

In a public corporation, you know who the majority owners of the stock are since they will be controlling the board of directors and strategic direction of the Corp. Knowing who owns the shares of the corporation is very important investment information and it's publicly disclosed in the annual 10Ks and other Sec filings.

How much DASH a person owns and how they use that currency should remain anonymous which is the main purposes of Crypto.

So my questions are the following:

1. What is the fundamental purpose of a DAO?

2. Is the DAO supposed to be anonymous, or just distributed and autonomous? There is a big difference between anonymous versus autonomous.

3. What is the fundamental purpose of anonymous cryptocurrency?

4. How does disclosing the ownership of masternodes conflict with the anonymous use of DASH?

5. Does the DAO have an obligation to provide complete transparency of its ownership of the masternodes, since this is the equivalent of the stock ownership in a public corporation?

6. Is the fundamental purpose of the DASH DAO, and the fundamental purpose of DASH as an anonymous cryptocurrency in direct conflict with each other in this business model?

Thanks,

• Old Old x 2
  10. demo

demo Active Member

Dash Address:
    Short answer: Νο, there is no conflict.
    Long answer: a proof of individuality is not necessarily against anonymity and privacy . Read more ...

#100 demo, Jul 3, 2016
  11. polp

polp New Member

Same questions (more or less) here.

• Old Old x 1
  12. demo

demo Active Member

Dash Address:
    By no means I am dash's representative, but as long as yet another newby @polp has the same questions, I ll try to answer.

Who knows? It depends on the persons that participate in this DAO.

Who knows? It depends on the persons that participate in this DAO.

A DAO in general is initialy something distributed and autonomous. But if a DAO is formed and people perticipating in this DAO decide to create something anonymous (which is the case of dash as far as I know), then this DAO is supposed to be anonymous also.

To be anonymous and to be cryptocurrency of course. It is an anonymous cryptocurrency, remember?

This is obvious, but it is a technical question. If you really wonder, I ll give a try.

It is not equivalent of the stock ownership in a public corporation. It is something else, something much more complicated. "Stock owners" are considered to be also the miners and the wallet holders.

Short answer: Νο, there is no conflict.
    Long answer: a proof of individuality is not necessarily against anonymity and privacy . Read more ...

#102 demo, Jul 3, 2016
  13. qwizzie

qwizzie Well-known Member

Maybe its time to close this thread as its being misused for off topic posts now.
    If people are interested in Dash's DAO type and want to know more, they should create seperate threads for it.

Also i understand OP has left this forum anyways ....

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1