• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

RC5 Launch (MANDATORY UPDATE)

Guys, after the anonymization process is done 100% and you stop Darksend, should the wallet lock itself again. I finished anonymizing 300DRK on mainnet then proceeded to send a donation to the development fund, everything went great, but I was not required a passphrase to send the funds out and I sent those funds hours after the anon process was done. Just a small thing but I think the wallet should lock once you stop the Darksend process or something.

Guys, after the anonymization process is done 100% and you stop Darksend, should the wallet lock itself again. I finished anonymizing 300DRK on mainnet then proceeded to send a donation to the development fund, everything went great, but I was not required a passphrase to send the funds out and I sent those funds hours after the anon process was done. Just a small thing but I think the wallet should lock once you stop the Darksend process or something.
http://jira.darkcoin.qa/browse/DRK-58

I'm concerned about something I've seen little reported, but I've seen it twice. And that's enough to concern me.

On BCT, one person reported denominating 80DRK 8 deep, and having 80.00000008 when done.

I noticed something in my own wallet that is similar. After denominating 1DRK 8 deep, it shows as 1.00000001 anoned.

Is this a calculation/UI/display issue, or are single duffs getting added in somewhere?

I'm concerned about something I've seen little reported, but I've seen it twice. And that's enough to concern me.

On BCT, one person reported denominating 80DRK 8 deep, and having 80.00000008 when done.

I noticed something in my own wallet that is similar. After denominating 1DRK 8 deep, it shows as 1.00000001 anoned.

Is this a calculation/UI/display issue, or are single duffs getting added in somewhere?

Dont be concerned that is by design, if you read Kristov Atlas paper, you will see that the system adds a duff as part of the normal process.

EDIT: It says the added duff helps distinguish denominations from regular funds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Even on testnet, you could set it to 100 and may end up with 120 or so. I didn't test the most recent release to see if this has been honed in to the target value or not. From first reports, looks pretty spot on.

But, not everybody is involved with the intimate details of testnet development. In fact, very few people are.

Where does this free duff come from?

But, not everybody is involved with the intimate details of testnet development. In fact, very few people are.

The duff is part of the denomination amounts the system breaks larger amounts into denominations that include one duff at the end to distinguish denominated amounts from normal amounts of the same size. Darkcoin denominations always include a duff in the end.

Hello camosoul! Why didn't you participate on testnet?! I was waiting for you.... lol... :tongue:

The duff is part of the denomination amounts the system breaks larger amounts into denominations that include one duff at the end to distinguish denominated amounts from normal amounts of the same size. Darkcoin denominations always include a duff in the end.
Good explanation.

Camosoul, look at the Coin Control and you'll be able to figure it out. I understood it when I looked at the coin control but can't remember how to explain it.

Hello camosoul! Why didn't you participate on testnet?! I was waiting for you.... lol... :tongue:
Whether or not I participate in testnet isn't really a matter of concern. I'm just some guy.

The point is that nobody would know why or how a duff comes out of nowhere unless s/he did participate in testnet. When most crypto users have no idea where their wallet.dat file is stored, I think some kind of explanation is needed... We see an extra duff in our wallets and wonder if there's a leak in the miners, or some other wild, stupid conclusion... A link to Jira isn't good enough. I can read the info on how DarkSend works, but there's no mention of getting a free duff out of it... Where's it come from? If enough people denominate, will the market be flooded/inflated with manufactured duffs much like too much mining reward would do?

Do you see where this leaves people hanging? I get it. I'm just playing Devil's Advocate. But who's going to dig that far? If I'm going to see it happen the second I start using the coin, there needs to be an explanation for it. If there is something right in the user's face that isn't what they're used to, you've got to tell them WTF is going on in the same time frame.

With a beginner understanding of how crypto works, it looks like denomination adds duffs to the coin supply. With even less understanding, it just looks broken.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whether or not I participate in testnet isn't really a matter of concern. I'm just some guy.

The point is that nobody would know why or how a duff comes out of nowhere unless s/he did participate in testnet. When most crypto users have no idea where their wallet.dat file is stored, I think some kind of explanation is needed... We see an extra duff in our wallets and wonder if there's a leak in the miners, or some other wild, stupid conclusion... A link to Jira isn't good enough. I can read the info on how DarkSend works, but there's no mention of getting a free duff out of it... Where's it come from? If enough people denominate, will the market be flooded/inflated with manufactured duffs much like too much mining reward would do?

Do you see where this leaves people hanging? I get it. I'm just playing Devil's Advocate. But who's going to dig that far? If I'm going to see it happen the second I start using the coin, there needs to be an explanation for it. If there is something right in the user's face that isn't what they're used to, you've got to tell them WTF is going on in the same time frame.

With a beginner understanding of how crypto works, it looks like denomination adds duffs to the coin supply. With even less understanding, it just looks broken.

I'm *not* an expert, but as I understand it, when the system denominates it adds an extra duff to each denomination, but then when it begins mixing, that duff is removed as part of the .0125 DRK fee.

I agree that it could be confusing though. Perhaps the client should "hide" those from the basic view and only show it on advanced.

Back