• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pre-Proposal - Visual Identity

Status
Not open for further replies.
My advice (small tuning) for "Dash = Digital Cash"

d61f805b6c85.jpg

I like the chains.
It is a sign that Dash consists of master(node)s and slaves.

Last edited:
I think everyone should give it at least a day to think about it.

And the idea that those are "slave" chains or otherwise is a bit much. They are open, and open chains are not effective anyway.

Ah wow. These are both leaps forward aren't they. And yet, I can't help but want to see more revisions. The biggest design mistakes I've made in my own career have simply been not asking for more revisions.

Here are my thoughts:
  • I love the Ogilvy concept but yearn to see a C linked with the D. Digital Cash right, not Digital Dash. It will help stick in people's minds. The second D creates some cognitive dissonance while if we switch it with a C it's Digital Cash. I would just like to see it as a revision. Revisions are super important. Nothing should ever be set in stone before input from the stakeholders.
  • I also love the Tharp logo because it is an evolution from our current logo. It's an improvement while remaining instantly recognizable. We're not starting from scratch. We're keeping the visual recognition intact. I love the swivel in the middle of the D that is our elemental logo. However, I'm not sure they got the font for the word "Dash" quite right. The swivel yes. The font no. I would love to see this version in 15 different variants with 15 different fonts all with the same exact swivel. I come from a school of spending days looking at hundreds of fonts and asking a hundred opinions before settling on a font. This is how fonts should be chosen. After careful thoughtful evaluation of hundreds and lots of input from others.

Last edited:
I was looking at all of those 3 logos for a while with a lot of different emotions.
I like the innovation which Ogilvy brings but not sure if it speaks for what we want to hear behind Dash.
I appreciate that Tharp & Clark stayed on the old fashion way type of logo.
If I have to be honest I really like the current one best!

Agreed. I let it sit for a while, and this is basically my current conclusion as well. I like certain aspects of both proposals, but I do NOT think either are good enough to be worth switching to right now. I think we need to consider the FACT that a rebrand has to be a surgical strike. This type of change needs to happen at the right time - just like when MacDonald's, Virgin, and Starbucks only decided on their final logo when they were sure of what their future would be.

The final logo should be a combination of all 3: The current one, the progressive pink one, and the tweaked friendly one. But it needs to be perfect, and it needs to happen at the exact right time.

I like ogilvy logo if its without gradient. Just like on mr @strophy mockups. Vertical logo, simple black or white - looks very good!

I will refrain from commenting on my preferred option, but I would like to comment on how I think about the process and other comments I am reading here.

Changing a visual identity is a difficult process and gaining full alignment is impossible because much of this is opinion-based. I would encourage the masternodes to heed the advice in the original post... this is best approached through the lens of which visual identity will serve our mission best. I have seen many constructive comments and the debate here is generally healthy. That said, many of the commenters focus on which set of designs they "like", rather than discussing the attributes of each design and how those attributes would support or detract from our goals. Keep in mind that we as individuals are NOT representative of the general population. There is something to be said for appealing to existing crypto enthusiasts and something to be said for appealing to a general audience (as well as how readily we believe we can access each demographic in the short and long term).

I am personally much more interested in what is best for Dash rather than what option individuals like better. I think all of us want what is best for Dash first, even if we disagree on the answer, and that is what I will cast my votes based upon. What I like will be irrelevant. In the end, 1,000 heads will be better than one, especially if we all approach this with a view that discounts your personal preferences. Just my 2-duffs!

Then I implore you to not push a vote on this before absolutely necessary. A rebrand right now seems desperate, more than it seems necessary.

It's clear that there are certain qualities in all 4 logos that we should, as a community, draw from. We should draw from each one carefully.
  1. The current DASH logo is professional and modern.
  2. The O&M logo has aspects that make it seem like it "Knows it's going somewhere, and you should too!"
  3. The T&C logo represents a natural and friendly progression of what we have now.
  4. ..... And what is #4? The Darkcoin Logo. The one on my favorite jacket from 2014 (Won't let me upload a picture of it). This one has that "Je ne sais quoi" that made me initially interested in this "coin." It's like the Bitcoin logo - authentic. Don't forget to add that. (This is what the O&M one is missing the most).

Be one of those exceptional CEO's, and really consider that maybe the truly correct answer isn't either of the two initially proposed...

I've been active with Dash for quite a while now, but this is my first post in this forum. This is a really important issue and I need to say my part.

The O&M logo fails on all fronts.
The DD is nothing but a tired and lazy design that has been used hundreds of times. Anyone remember that terrible Daredevil movie?
The font is awkward and in no way represents Dash or cryptocurrency.
The DD doesn't make sense until it's explained. To everyone not in the know, they're going to wonder what the second D stands for, and when they find out, they won't care. Why would O&M think that regular people would care about Dash's second layer? Did they do any actual proper research?
The color scheme looks like they're targeting entitled millennial otherkin, not adults or the people who actually use and need Dash. Dash is a serious business, not some trendy chat app. We don't need to look "sharpy". In places like Venezuela, people's lives are coming to depend on Dash and cryptocurrency. This is insulting to their struggle.
The DD doesn't scale at all. It's entirely illegible as a small avatar, it just looks like a scribble.
It doesn't offer any link to Dash's history, it's just some new logo some marketing company came up with.
Lastly, it's just plain ugly. It looks like it was designed with a free logo generator.

Dash is one of the most innovative and disruptive entities in human history. Never before has there been a decentralized autonomous organization. We are cutting edge. We are game changers. We are revolutionary. We need a logo that represents that. What did O&M give us? A tired and rehashed logo dressed in 1980's colors that doesn't make any sense until explained. Complete and utter failure.

Ah wow. These are both leaps forward aren't they. And yet, I can't help but want to see more revisions. The biggest design mistakes I've made in my own career have simply been not asking for more revisions.

Here are my thoughts:
  • I love the Ogilvy concept but yearn to see a C linked with the D. Digital Cash right, not Digital Dash. It will help stick in people's minds. The second D creates some cognitive dissonance while if we switch it with a C it's Digital Cash. I would just like to see it as a revision. Revisions are super important. Nothing should ever be set in stone before input from the stakeholders.
  • I also love the Tharp logo because it is an evolution from our current logo. It's an improvement while remaining instantly recognizable. We're not starting from scratch. We're keeping the visual recognition intact. I love the swivel in the middle of the D that is our elemental logo. However, I'm not sure they got the font for the word "Dash" quite right. The swivel yes. The font no. I would love to see this version in 15 different variants with 15 different fonts all with the same exact swivel. I come from a school of spending days looking at hundreds of fonts and asking a hundred opinions before settling on a font. This is how fonts should be chosen. After careful thoughtful evaluation of hundreds and lots of input from others.

Completely agree with your second point. That "swivel" is ingenious, but the font sucks.

Maybe this is my nerd biases showing through, but the first thing that comes to mind with the O&M logo is similar to the Daredevil logo: https://goo.gl/Fj5QDB ...only with a "Gambit" or "Archangel" color scheme: http://www.marveldirectory.com/pictures/individuals/a_3d/archangel.gif

That being said, I think I prefer it over all, noting the previous objections raised by others from a graphic design standpoint (degree in CGT here), that gradients can be difficult to consistently reproduce across platforms and media. Single colors are problematic enough, gradients exponentially moreso. I will also say that @alex-ru 's slight modification is actually an improvement and I would vote for it over O&Ms because the "Double D" leads to an ambiguous or nebulous meaning without the subtitle "Digital Cash," which leads to "well why not a D and a C instead of two D's?" Hats off, Alex-RU, I vote for your version.

I'd say I also prefer the current logo to the T&M logo from a personal aesthetic, but I also recognize that the general populace would probably find the T&M logo more appealing. It has a softer, more welcoming quality to it than the current logo.

When it comes down to a vote...it will be a difficult decision, but I'm currently prioritizing them that way.

This is logo not for you and me. This is logo for average Joe. Double D make him feel like Dash is secure and it's safe to put money into it.
And as I already said, the regular people don't care about Dash's second layer. The idea will be completely lost on them making the logo pointless.

This is logo not for you and me. This is logo for average Joe. Double D make him feel like Dash is secure and it's safe to put money into it.

Could I please talk to this person you consulted?

Are these the same people interviewed who don't even own Bitcoin?! A progressive logo like that only makes sense when crypto is going mainstream, but it's still 2 years from that at least...

We have an understandable handycap when trying to pick between these two or possibly more brand logos.
That is, we all are completely familiar with what Dash is. Unfortuneately 99% of the world population doesn't know
what cryptocurrency is and I would venture that 99.9% or more have never heard of Dash in particular.
The goal of any and all marketing is to increase brand awareness as cost efficiently as possible.
Here-in is the problem with the Ogilvy logo. The double D graphic conveys absolutely no information to the onlooker.
This reqires a second line be added, the word "Dash". But, as I mentioned this also is meaningless to the great majority
so a third line is vitally needed "Digital Cash".
"Ahhh! OK. Now I think I get it" says the viewer.
The problem is that three distincly different lines were needed. I believe the double D symbol is unwise and somewhat useless.
If Dash were a widely recognised brand/product only a symbol would be enough to convey the brands identity but we are far, far away from that point.
The term "Digital Cash" is absolutely a must in my opinion and will be for a good while.
Amanda says it beatifully here. Please watch.

Why would they form the logo based on the second layer? Isn't the entire point of Evolution to hide the blockchain and the second layer from regular people, aka the audience this logo is targeting? I feel that O&M doesn't understand anything about Dash and what its trying to do. They just made a logo based on marketing principles. The logo is 180 degrees opposite from the direction Dash is going.

@fernando @Ryan Taylor
The survey that was conducted was comparing the Ogilvy logo with the current Dash logo, but the current Dash logo that was compared had the pink and blue color gradient applied. Some in this thread and in the Discord channel have also questioned the objectivity of the study. Could you weigh in on that issue? Also, would it be possible for us to gather any objective data that directly compares the O&M logo with the T&C logo or the current dash logo as it is now (blue)?

@Kanuuker has expressed my reservations about the O&M logo perfectly. After looking at the icon sized logo displays I really like the Tharp logo the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back