Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

Pre-Proposal - Visual Identity

Discussion in 'Budget Proposal Discussions' started by fernando, Mar 23, 2018.

1. splawik21

splawik21 Grizzled Member
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member Dash Support Group

I was looking at all of those 3 logos for a while with a lot of different emotions.
    I like the innovation which Ogilvy brings but not sure if it speaks for what we want to hear behind Dash.
    I appreciate that Tharp & Clark stayed on the old fashion way type of logo.
    If I have to be honest I really like the actual one best!

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Max Yoga

Max Yoga Member

Cardano's use of the blue is not as strong or noticeable as the new proposed Dash logo. I agree Ripple does have blue there, but very different logotypes regardless.

3. DAOMN

DAOMN Member

Now I dislike both. Either stick with the current one or have a contest like GMDash suggested. My 2 duffs.

• Like Like x 2
  4. GrandMasterDash

GrandMasterDash Well-known Member
    Masternode Owner/Operator

Would be good for publicity, a nice big prize, but I'm not entirely sure how we can confirm the votes as real.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Fount4inhead

Fount4inhead Member

Our original seems to carry more meaning. It has the Dash in the D the italics make it look like it's Dashing, it doubled as a C so it's both Dash and Cash. I don't see what they have added here. The double D is a definate no imo, I mean why?

The softer more rounded and lower case font of the second could be good because it's more feminine and that is the direction of things for the next 2000 years.

As someone else said none really convey money at first glance.

Amanda nailed it also the first one just screams that we are a company, we are not.

#65 Fount4inhead, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. masternube

masternube New Member

Both the pink color and the gradient scream unserious, unprofessional and outdated to me.
    Also, the word "DASH" below the DD doesn't fit in well with the DD and the gap in the upper left of the D of DASH is ugly and unrelated. Why isn't it in the middle to reflect the logo? Or no gap at all. The whole DASH word looks wrong. I don't know if it's the kerning or what but something is really bad.

The old logo is still the best IMO. I look forward to see what O&M do with that, if that's indeed included in the contract.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Ryan Taylor

Ryan Taylor Well-known Member
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member

I will refrain from commenting on my preferred option, but I would like to comment on how I think about the process and other comments I am reading here.

Changing a visual identity is a difficult process and gaining full alignment is impossible because much of this is opinion-based. I would encourage the masternodes to heed the advice in the original post... this is best approached through the lens of which visual identity will serve our mission best. I have seen many constructive comments and the debate here is generally healthy. That said, many of the commenters focus on which set of designs they "like", rather than discussing the attributes of each design and how those attributes would support or detract from our goals. Keep in mind that we as individuals are NOT representative of the general population. There is something to be said for appealing to existing crypto enthusiasts and something to be said for appealing to a general audience (as well as how readily we believe we can access each demographic in the short and long term).

I am personally much more interested in what is best for Dash rather than what option individuals like better. I think all of us want what is best for Dash first, even if we disagree on the answer, and that is what I will cast my votes based upon. What I like will be irrelevant. In the end, 1,000 heads will be better than one, especially if we all approach this with a view that discounts your personal preferences. Just my 2-duffs!

• Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Fount4inhead

Fount4inhead Member

What you like cannot be totally irrelevant because you also are part of the demographic.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Trolling Trolling x 1
  9. GrandMasterDash

GrandMasterDash Well-known Member

Suggestion.. can the O&M logo proposal be worded something like this... "Vote Yes if you approve of the original O&M logo as it is ("DD"). Vote no if you reject the O&M logo, and vote abstain if you approve the "DC" version of O&M's logo".

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. geolibertarian

geolibertarian New Member

GrandMasterDash showing some great artistic talent! :) I like how the "D" and "C" can read "Dash" or "Cash"! I also like Mark Mason's tripartite logo. I love how there are so many talented graphic designers in this thread!

At the same time, I'd like to highlight Fernando's comment: "Our recommendation is to review all the materials presented in this proposal. Let it marinate for a while. This is not an art contest (which logo you like more), but a strategic decision (which logo will help us achieve our goals)."

Here are the links again:

Ogilvy: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19mdlsRqmhUYdBvxtRwgbwiBm51FLm43L/view?usp=sharing

Tharp & Clark: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pTq9WtRGXfvOvK5qcwlbx45a_yrmZqHL/view?usp=sharing

At first, my gut reaction was to overwhelmingly prefer Tharp & Clark's simpler, softer, "evolution" of design instead of Ogilvy's radical change. Like most, I'm also fond of the "dash" mark. And the lower-case lettering is preferable, Dash being more like a word/verb and not an acronym (as pointed out in their documents). I agree with Amanda - we're not a corporation/company. And I don't give much weight to Ogilvy's "scientific" research. I don't think that kind of data is very informative, and often misleading (what people say doesn't always match how they behave).

But reading Ogilvy's FAQ, I'm warming up to the idea of a radical departure. I don't really like the idea of becoming a Fortune 500 "company" but... realistically that seems to be the direction we're headed (something like Ripple?) - is everyone on board for that idea? I'm not sure that I am, but willing to be open to see where this goes.

I like what Ogilvy says here: "They key is to find the brand image that builds brand equity faster at every stage of the brand ́s evolution and adopt it boldly and implement it fast. Dash current logo and branding is great, but it doesn’t maximize the opportunity to be distinctive in the cryptocurrency category as the challenger it should be. If your brand is not noticed, it is far more difficult to be relevant. Let’s build a real challenger brand until we lead them all."

So, we could have a radical/crazy/strange/noticeable logo now, and it can change over time. Also the idea of Double D's logos is kind of fun if not ridiculous. And they could represent blocks chained, or the two-tier mining and masternode layer, which is sorta cool.

So really I wouldn't mind either logo. To put it in perspective, whichever logo we choose, the more important thing is the successful delivery and continuous improvement of the technology ("Evolution") and its pleasure-to-use for the end user. That's what I'm most looking forward to and interested in seeing.

#70 geolibertarian, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Ryan Taylor

Ryan Taylor Well-known Member
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member

Well, not completely irrelevant, but one of a million. Though I happen to have very good insight into this ONE individual. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  12. mikebam

mikebam New Member

@amanda_b_johnson nailed it in her previous post.

Ogilvy's logo is for a Dash company (maybe for Dash Core Group?).
    Tharp & Clark's logo is for a protocol (if http had a logo), a currency (euro, yen etc).

And between what we have right now and T&C, I would go with T&C because it feels friendlier and more polished.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
  13. oaxaca

oaxaca Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

First mover advantage, so what? Challenger brand?

The O&M design does not scream out blockchain at all, it screams WTF!

Leading questions lead to pre-selected answers.

Overall I hate the O&M design from start to finish.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Unstoppable

Unstoppable Member

While I personally prefer the current dash logo, I think the T&C logo speaks as clearly, but looks more approachable, more inviting to all. I vote T&C.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Household Name®

Every new marketing project begins with an objective question:

"What has the brand got that we can use?" DASH has many existing elements for Ogilvy to build upon:

- Broadly descriptive brand name that conveys energy, momentum, impulse
    - Alliterative single syllable word with a strong mouth-sound
    - Name longevity that will stand the test of time as business grows
    - Culturally appropriate in global markets with no negative connotations
    - Forward-leaning logo moves with the eye/page, not against it
    - Primary color that's both conservative and solid, a palette used by the world's leading financial institutions from Barclays to Citibank

Given this brand DNA, there is much to commend with the new design Ogilvy have proposed:

Logo
    The two 'D' locking together presents a strong and eye-catching design. This design is something of an optical illusion, a 'padlock-and-key' almost. You see it once, you remember it. That’s no small victory in design terms. Plaudits to the designer(s). It immediately transmits a sense of security and strength, imperative in a financial services brand. Also, acknowledging the gaps and negative space around the current logo lock-up is a well-considered evolution.

Font
    The upright in the 'D' is a optically heavier in weight compared to the rest of the letter––it reads as an overprint and should be adjusted.
    The 'S' has a lazy flow to it, and the terminals end somewhat undefined.
    The rounded 'A' apex hearkens back to the current font, but feels dated already. We need a modern, clean break here.

Secondary Font
    Din has very good legibility down to smaller point sizes, however this is a very over-used font and may not stand the test of time. To be called 'Dash’ and use a forward-leaning font (and at such an acute angle) always seemed too ‘on-the-nose’ for us, so we applaud this non-italic font.

Color palette
    The ‘old’ blue was anemic and we support a stronger, ownable blue, although this particular hue is a little hard on the eyes. We advise against the color fading (or any color shift) as this weakens the overall design, and may well read as a printing error in newsprint. Also consider 5% of the population are colorblind and this presents something of a Color Vision Test for them. (Mark Zuckerberg is colorblind, hence Facebook blue).

Next Steps
    We would like to see a comparative page with the new design set against the top 100 cryptos.

That said, we fully support the direction of this design, with minor adjustments.

#75 Household Name®, Mar 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  16. Damian Walker

Damian Walker Member

My 2 cents here: (I prefer the current one, but If I have to select one new, I select the TC one )
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
  17. Josh Andres

Josh Andres New Member

The tharp n clark logo wins!!!!

why:
    the logo is immediately recognizable, there is no need to interpret what the double chains mean like on ogilvy logo.
    the logo is friendly and positive, which appears to be human focus (ogilvy's logo is dry and clinical, technology focus hence the double chains)
    the new blue is more sky blue, positive, which is nice, new beginnings.
    the logo works well in different sizes, while the 's ogilvy does not because of the placement of the double chains, the font also looks weak.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Mrs G

Mrs G New Member

Totally agree the lower case looks more accessible and contemporary than all upper case. It also creates a better holding shape for the logo icon to rest in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. onetime

onetime New Member

This looks perfect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. mikebam

mikebam New Member

Yeah it's a bit more than that, kid.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  21. demo

demo Well-known Member

Dash Address:
    XnpT2YQaYpyh7F9twM6EtDMn1TCDCEEgNX
    I like the chains.
    It is a sign that Dash consists of master(node)s and slaves.

#81 demo, Mar 24, 2018
    demo
    This message by demo has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • Trolling Trolling x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Old Old x 1
  22. ampp

ampp Member

I think everyone should give it at least a day to think about it.

And the idea that those are "slave" chains or otherwise is a bit much. They are open, and open chains are not effective anyway.

• Agree Agree x 4
  23. feedbands

feedbands Active Member

Ah wow. These are both leaps forward aren't they. And yet, I can't help but want to see more revisions. The biggest design mistakes I've made in my own career have simply been not asking for more revisions.

Here are my thoughts:
    • I love the Ogilvy concept but yearn to see a C linked with the D. Digital Cash right, not Digital Dash. It will help stick in people's minds. The second D creates some cognitive dissonance while if we switch it with a C it's Digital Cash. I would just like to see it as a revision. Revisions are super important. Nothing should ever be set in stone before input from the stakeholders.
    • I also love the Tharp logo because it is an evolution from our current logo. It's an improvement while remaining instantly recognizable. We're not starting from scratch. We're keeping the visual recognition intact. I love the swivel in the middle of the D that is our elemental logo. However, I'm not sure they got the font for the word "Dash" quite right. The swivel yes. The font no. I would love to see this version in 15 different variants with 15 different fonts all with the same exact swivel. I come from a school of spending days looking at hundreds of fonts and asking a hundred opinions before settling on a font. This is how fonts should be chosen. After careful thoughtful evaluation of hundreds and lots of input from others.

#83 feedbands, Mar 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Captain_Tom

Captain_Tom New Member

Agreed. I let it sit for a while, and this is basically my current conclusion as well. I like certain aspects of both proposals, but I do NOT think either are good enough to be worth switching to right now. I think we need to consider the FACT that a rebrand has to be a surgical strike. This type of change needs to happen at the right time - just like when MacDonald's, Virgin, and Starbucks only decided on their final logo when they were sure of what their future would be.

The final logo should be a combination of all 3: The current one, the progressive pink one, and the tweaked friendly one. But it needs to be perfect, and it needs to happen at the exact right time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. feedbands

feedbands Active Member

Letting it marinate more, I think Tharp & Clark is the winner.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  26. Dima

Dima New Member

I like ogilvy logo if its without gradient. Just like on mr @strophy mockups. Vertical logo, simple black or white - looks very good!

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. feedbands

feedbands Active Member

I don't think we can just take the twist out of the middle of the D... That *is* Dash.

• Agree Agree x 4
  28. Captain_Tom

Captain_Tom New Member

Then I implore you to not push a vote on this before absolutely necessary. A rebrand right now seems desperate, more than it seems necessary.

It's clear that there are certain qualities in all 4 logos that we should, as a community, draw from. We should draw from each one carefully.
    1. The current DASH logo is professional and modern.
    2. The O&M logo has aspects that make it seem like it "Knows it's going somewhere, and you should too!"
    3. The T&C logo represents a natural and friendly progression of what we have now.
    4. ..... And what is #4? The Darkcoin Logo. The one on my favorite jacket from 2014 (Won't let me upload a picture of it). This one has that "Je ne sais quoi" that made me initially interested in this "coin." It's like the Bitcoin logo - authentic. Don't forget to add that. (This is what the O&M one is missing the most).

Be one of those exceptional CEO's, and really consider that maybe the truly correct answer isn't either of the two initially proposed...

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. Kanuuker

Kanuuker New Member

I've been active with Dash for quite a while now, but this is my first post in this forum. This is a really important issue and I need to say my part.

The O&M logo fails on all fronts.
    The DD is nothing but a tired and lazy design that has been used hundreds of times. Anyone remember that terrible Daredevil movie?
    The font is awkward and in no way represents Dash or cryptocurrency.
    The DD doesn't make sense until it's explained. To everyone not in the know, they're going to wonder what the second D stands for, and when they find out, they won't care. Why would O&M think that regular people would care about Dash's second layer? Did they do any actual proper research?
    The color scheme looks like they're targeting entitled millennial otherkin, not adults or the people who actually use and need Dash. Dash is a serious business, not some trendy chat app. We don't need to look "sharpy". In places like Venezuela, people's lives are coming to depend on Dash and cryptocurrency. This is insulting to their struggle.
    The DD doesn't scale at all. It's entirely illegible as a small avatar, it just looks like a scribble.
    It doesn't offer any link to Dash's history, it's just some new logo some marketing company came up with.
    Lastly, it's just plain ugly. It looks like it was designed with a free logo generator.

Dash is one of the most innovative and disruptive entities in human history. Never before has there been a decentralized autonomous organization. We are cutting edge. We are game changers. We are revolutionary. We need a logo that represents that. What did O&M give us? A tired and rehashed logo dressed in 1980's colors that doesn't make any sense until explained. Complete and utter failure.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  30. Dima

Dima New Member

This is logo not for you and me. This is logo for average Joe. Double D make him feel like Dash is secure and it's safe to put money into it.

• Disagree Disagree x 8
    • Like Like x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1