Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

Pre-Proposal - Visual Identity

Discussion in 'Budget Proposal Discussions' started by fernando, Mar 23, 2018.

1. masternube

masternube Member

I want to remind everybody that OP wrote

> Ogilvy has offered to do a reinterpretation of the current logo as part of their work, so we could do that if this were the result.

I would like to see the result of that.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. DAOMN

DAOMN Member

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. DAOMN

DAOMN Member

"noun: Dao
    1. (in Chinese philosophy) the absolute principle underlying the universe, combining within itself the principles of yin and yang and signifying the way, or code of behavior, that is in harmony with the natural order."

• Like Like x 2
  4. GrandMasterDash

GrandMasterDash Well-known Member
    Masternode Owner/Operator

Perhaps this too obvious but... this icon = digital cash
    dash-dc.png

• Dislike x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
  5. rion

rion New Member

I would welcome a shift from the uber-masculine, all-caps, battleship theme of DASH in our current brand to a more neutral and female-friendly brand like what T&C has offered. O&M seems to be a pendulum swing too far into feminism (with an impractical gradient theme that, while initially striking, seems cheap with time). T&C is a nice critically-damped transition from our existing theme into a comfortable middle ground. It respects our past and prepares our future.

#185 rion, Mar 24, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. Enzwell

Enzwell Member

Ha! Nice! I did the same thing yesterday when I was making that last one, but didn't want to overplay the point (and, it's a little wacky)...

DashTxtC.png

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. technoir

technoir New Member

Suggestions other than the O&M, T&C or the existing logo are pointless since the vote will be on those three options.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Walter

Walter Active Member

Well that's approximately half the population of humanity discounted for... How do we go about eliminating the rest?

Walter

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Trolling Trolling x 1
  9. Walter

Walter Active Member

Doesn't sound like it.. Sounds like you have issues with your sexuality if you ask me..

Walter

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Trolling Trolling x 1
  10. Walter

Walter Active Member

I'm not interesting in voting for BASH. WTF is BASH?

Walter

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Walter

Walter Active Member

The Dash "D" isn't truly "Iconic".. 99% of the world population doesn't even know it exists..?

Neil Armstrong = Iconic
    Bill Gates = Iconic
    Steve Jobs = Iconic
    The Beatles = Iconic

Dash Digital Cash = Who?

Walter

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  12. Walter

Walter Active Member

I wouldn't get too excited dude... It's more than likely going to be "Dash". Maybe with "Digital Cash" stuck on the end.

Walter

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Walter

Walter Active Member

Why? Why should it set alarm bells ringing? Is our current logo immune from the forces of popular opinion?

Walter

#193 Walter, Mar 25, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Walter

Walter Active Member

Geez, I've seen it all now... :rolleyes:

Walter

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. tungfa

tungfa Administrator
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member Masternode Owner/Operator Moderator

we must be the community with the most Graphic Designers / Creative Directors everrrr :D

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. raze

raze King of the Morlocks
    Foundation Member Masternode Owner/Operator

Dash Address:
    Xtrdw361DvoyDhxL5XoeAvTxTPvM4dXuLW
    After thinking about for the last day or so, I still think the Ogilvy logo is the best choice for Dash moving forward. I won't be angry if Tharp or the current logo is chosen, just disappointed. I want to see the look of Dash reflect the change, innovation, and growth taking place in the rest of the community.

Ogilvy is confidently blazing a new path forward, Tharp is timidly moving sideways trying to cling to the past.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing some alternate color schemes from Ogilvy.

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  17. EvoLeaf

EvoLeaf New Member

When I saw the Africa and Venezuela slides on the T&C, I was sold, Not only is their design better in my opinion, they understand Dash.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. TroyDASH

TroyDASH Well-known Member

The thing is, the Dash "D" is NOT iconic. We don't have enough Dash users yet for it to be even close to iconic. However what it *is*, is simple and also unique, which makes it work well as a currency symbol, it scales down well to a small size, and has potential long-term mileage. IMO, the biggest downside to O&M is that there's really no replacement for the Dash "D".

• Agree Agree x 8
  19. EvoLeaf

EvoLeaf New Member

I think that's what I was thinking when I said that.

• Creative Creative x 1
  20. TheBigCat

TheBigCat Member

Don’t be sorry. I appreciate this kind of honesty. Personally the Ogilvie Mather looks like some children’s toy design or something they still from someone at burning man. Ridiculous. €88,000 they paid for this? That is hilarious.

The second one is subtle clean and recognizable so people will connect it to our current logo which I actually think is just fine. I would go with the second one hands-down if anything. I’m sure they are giving a better deal too [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  21. TanteStefana

TanteStefana Grizzled Member
    Foundation Member

I think this is where I was 2 days ago when Fernando first posted his results. But I've come to the realization that even if we kept the old Dash logo/branding, this exercise was a smart move. Still I don't have the answers I would like.

The reason for doing all of this is to evaluate our brand identity before the big public push. We were supposed to get data on researching public opinion. I take exception to the fact that the logo for O&M in their forms appears to have been comparing a simple DASH to logo/Dash. Would it have gotten the same results if they had used the Dash D as a logo with "Dash" underneath or the whole word DASH with Digital Cash underneath (which really tells it all)? I don't know, they didn't do that. Visually, the DD design is undoubtedly more interesting, but unfortunately, people have shown how common and not unique this idea is.

I am not happy with the research. I am not convinced. However, unlike Mark, I do see limitations to our current DASH logo. It's blocky (which was cool) but also makes it look masculine (not necessarily bad) and militaristic (a bit bad)

I didn't like the T&C proposal at all at first. It wasn't much different than what we had. Why bother changing I thought? Then I realized there was subtle brilliance in that proposal. It keeps the iconic basics, softens the edges, keeps the forward lean for speed AND creates a super simplistic icon that I can see being as recognizable as the two intersecting circles that are the iconic MasterCard symbol. Please look again, read the proposal, and look at the tilde looking dash symbol. I can see that as being instantly recognized as "Dash Digital Cash" in the future like the two intersecting circles instantly means MasterCard.

As icing on the cake, the tilde is easily accessible on the keyboard. It could be our currency symbol. "Thanks for lunch, I just sent you ~0.132 to cover my portion"

This is why I have concluded that although I am not happy with and do not trust the test results, I can see the success of other big businesses and the fact they have "icons" and that a simple, immediately recognized icon would serve us well. I do feel the current Dash symbol is too harsh, and shouldn't be all capital letters either, so I am actually very pleased with the T&C proposal, it's more of an Evolution from our past, not a break from our past.

In other words, I would choose the T&C proposal over our existing branding or the O&M submission.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. TheBigCat

TheBigCat Member

Nice analysis. I agree. The more I look at the T&C design, the more I like it. It respects and refers nicely to our original logo while looking updated, not militaristic at all and different than any font I have seen, so truly original in a subtle and nuanced way.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. rion

rion New Member

Fans of the existing logo:

I used to be in your camp. However, I ask you to reconsider voting to keep the existing logo, and rather vote for T&C, even if it's not 100% what you want. The stakes are too high to roll the dice with another round of rebrands. T&C is close enough for me:
    • It is amenable to a currency ticker
    • It retains many good aspects of the current logo (iconic D, forward slant, solid blue color, scales well, etc.)
    • It includes many improvements (lowercase, scaled back masculinity without going overboard, etc)
    Again, please vote T&C so that there's no risk of losing what you love in a later round. We can always iterate on our base design, unless we lose it completely to a design that throws so much of it away, like O&M.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. Efietskop

Efietskop New Member

For what it's worth, I'm also in the T&C camp now. I think our D symbol has great value as a currency and it has no place in the O&M logo. In my opinion the O&M logo does not consider the unique characteristics of the Dash organisation (it looks normal corporate logo) and the colour scheme will probably not look too good when produced using amateur equipment (which most of us are as a grassroots organisation.)

On the other hand I do like T&C better than our current logo. It is a natural evolution from our current logo while still adding a lot of value by professionalising our font and colours.

I also have issues with O&M research. It looks like an off the shelf marketing research program for a (tech) company. But Dash is not just a company that top-down tries to sell its product. Dash is an organisation that is made by people, it is open and decentralised. One can not only just use our product, but one can also participate. One can invest in a Masternode(share,) submit a proposal or make a DAP that uses Evolution. I don't think the aspects that were researched (solid, trustworthy and inspires confidence) necessarily reflect what Dash is or what Dash should aspire to be.

And this lack of understanding is also reflected in the O&M logo in my opinion. Dash's logo should be simple, recognisable, even after it has been hand drawn or when it is tiny. It should certainly not use colour schemes that may look horrible when printed using a 15 year old cheap inkjet printer. I think the current logo and the T&C one perform much better on these aspects.

#204 Efietskop, Mar 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Mark Mason

Mark Mason Well-known Member

I'm still in remain camp as I feel it has the path of least resistance. Perhaps i'm just too macho and millitant in my Dash ways. I don't consume soy, so that might be why?! :D

All that manly testosterone has made my hair fall out. ;)

Ok, if my back was up against the wall and it truly was a do or die gun to head scenario I was faced with. I would choose T&C logo as in my opinion it works better as a currency symbol and doesn't render all previous Dash branding/marketing efforts as obsolete as it's a fairly minor adjustment but still a recognizable change for those that already know of Dash but also those who are researching Dash for the first time and finding already available online resources.

I do confess and openly admit I'm struggling with this change as I work with the current Dash logo everyday in the images I create for the news. People naturally don't like and resist change. I've been playing a lot with each logo in photoshop, and have found my position and feelings changing on a daily basis as well. I've seen the same sentiment in Discord.

For me the current logo is still champion, however I'm not going to throw my toys out the pram if the masternode network selects either logo. I just think what we have is great already.

upload_2018-3-25_15-42-26.png

On Friday we had a community vote on Discord where O+M was most popular:

upload_2018-3-25_15-37-25.png

I then repeated the poll on Saturday and opinion seems to have now swung towards T&C:

upload_2018-3-25_15-38-22.png

This has been an interesting consensus exercise and test for our community. We all have our biases. I have friends in both camps right now, but the conversation and feedback members have been contributing to discussion to me is a great testament of why Dash in my eyes has the best crypto community. We all agree with the main mission objective regardless of logo vote outcome.

[​IMG]

What I Learned About Consensus From Dash’s Branding Vote by Joël Valenzuela

Read more: https://www.dashforcenews.com/what-i-learned-about-consensus-from-dashs-branding-vote/

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  26. Household Name®

If the creative brief pointed to defining a 'digital currency/cash,' then the Tharp & Clark submission has chosen to continue many existing elements from the current design.

Logo:
    This forward-leaning logo moves with the eye/page conveying momentum, however, to be called ‘Dash’ and use an italicized font always seemed too ‘on-the-nose’ for us, so they might consider a non-ital font. (The current Microsoft logo versus the old––far more legible and modern). Also, the vast majority of financial brands opt for a more conservative, non-italic design.

Font:
    Sentence case is more approachable, however at scale the 'a' is clunky and feels like a capital 'd' flipped in the horizontal. This has the effect of trapping the 's' between it and the 'h.' These letters seem to diverge optically, consequently the overall shape of the word does not hold together as a unit. (Reads as D-ash.)

Icon:
    If the capital 'D' is to be used as a stand-alone glyph, we concede it well conveys a currency/asset. If DASH is to live beside the $, £, € and ¥ it needs to read like a monetary symbol for adoption by the Unicode Consortium. (How users can type the “₿” symbol with their keyboards.) The rounding of the DASH 'tongue' softens it and is a nice adjustment, but may not read in Unicode.

Color palette:
    The wider consumer audience is unfamiliar with current DASH colors so adjusting the current somewhat anemic blue now delivers a more ownable hue.

Next Steps:
    Tharp & Clark and Ogilvy must consider Unicode review and adoption if DASH is to become a new global asset.

To have one's designs critiqued/voted by majority is no doubt frustrating for the designer(s), but such is the nature of a decentralized platform––many voices, many opinions.

Good luck to both submissions!

Attached Files:

#206 Household Name®, Mar 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  27. masternube

masternube Member

How is this even possible if T&C wins? Will Core pay the 88k euro out of pocket, rather than letting the MNOs vote on whether we want to fund this?

• Creative Creative x 1
  28. qwizzie

qwizzie Well-known Member

I decided to vote for the Ogilvy & Mather logo design as it seems the most eye-catching and unique logo design of the three logo's, most capable of reaching its planned target group :

* male
    * age 30-49
    * non-tech savy, mainstream

Link : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nCpQdZQfdVF7IriKVmUnWLLDAOlN916O/view

I would have preferred a double-layered DC in this design instead of the double-layered DD as that would make the connection to Digital Cash far more easy to make while maintaining the double layer message, but in the end a good
    and consistant marketing campaign should drive the double-layer message through anyways.

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  29. JOL

JOL Member

j'ai voté pour Ogilvy & Mather, mes raisons sont :

- Le choix est orienté vers les autres ceux qui ne sont pas dans Dash. Comme évolution est tourné vers les autres.
    - L'étude Ogilvy & Mather existe et fait clairement resortir que ce qui s'approche de l'ancien logo et donc de celui proposé par T&C, est ce qui est le moins bien noté, et celui qui s'approche le plus du leur est le mieux noté. Il n'y as pas d'autre étude qui viendrait à ce jour prouver le contraire. Seulement des spéculations.
    - Les gens verront principalement ce logo sur : les sites webs, leur téléphone et sur les devantures des magasins. regardez de nouveaux les exemples a ces endroits. Les T-shirts sont juste pour nous les fans, pas pour les utilisateurs.
    - Nous allons devenir plus grand que Bitcoin et Eth, nous allons sortir du petit monde des crypto pour passer dans le monde réel, une simple petite lettre ne peut pas nous résumer.

Ce nouveau design est pour permettre l'adoption de masse, non pas pour réconforter la communauté, nous n'avons pas besoin de ça, nous connaissons la technologie, nous sommes Dash.

Pensez evolution pensez adoption de masse, pensez aux autres.

#######################
    English google translation :

I voted for Ogilvy & Mather, my reasons are:

- The choice is directed towards others who are not in Dash. As evolution is turned to others.
    - The Ogilvy & Mather study exists and makes it clear that what comes close to the old logo and therefore the one proposed by T & C, is what is the least rated, and the one that comes closest to theirs is the highest rated. There is no other study to prove the opposite. Only speculations.
    - People will mainly see this logo on: the web sites, their phone and on the stores' deventures. look at the examples again at these places. T-shirts are just for us fans, not for users.
    - We are going to become bigger than Bitcoin and Eth, we are going to come out of the crypto little world to get into the real world, a simple little letter can not sum us up.

This new design is to allow mass adoption, not to comfort the community, we do not need that, we know the technology, we are Dash.

Think evolution think mass adoption, think of others.

#209 JOL, Mar 25, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
  30. TheBigCat

TheBigCat Member

I think their “study” is slanted toward their own design. I third-party study would be more believable. Their logo looks like an Advertisement for a brand of diapers or baby wipes. Not a digital currency.

• Agree Agree x 6