• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Rebranding and Scalability

Not too sure about DISC, we don't need external media where we're going

We really should consult the branding firm and see what they come up with. If we are going to re-brand, we could use the opportunity to come up with some clean/fresh/minimal.

I like the direction "https://www.circle.com/en" has taken. Simple is better.

https://i.imgur.com/TWad5CE.gif
https://i.imgur.com/yuPZQrV.gif

https://www.reddit.com/r/loadingicon/top/?sort=top&t=year
https://www.reddit.com/r/gonwild/top/

I should also say, I quite like DRK IX DS 2FA also (it has snappy modern feel)

Finally, could you elaborate on "Scalable to billions of transactions per day"...not many people seem to be talking about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
against my own words earlier, today DASH makes a heck load more sense. Its a quick mono-syllable, self ticker, with a D
sounds like cash. Like bitcoin is a coin using bits, DASH is the (potentially first real) digital cash (just please dont use Digital Cash, its so 1980's!!)

"yo dude, got some cash I can spare for a beer?"
"shit just ran out, but I think I still have some left over DASH on my phone, hold on, yup, this round's on me"

NO, and you already said it before so please stop
Don't worry. It was supposed to be a joke.

EDIT: I know I said it before. Just feel terrible reading another 7 pages of discussion without message from Evan clarifying whether DASH is set in stone or not.

Evan just did the same thing this morning with Dark and the market cap moves by...err.... Nothing. doesn't even flinch!

Ergo - the 'Darkcoin' brand and associated 'DRK' has a value of approximately zero.

Game: find the day where Evan announced the possible re-branding:
Chart.jpg

(Hint: it's somewhere on the right side of the graph)

Looked like one person dumping ~10k DRK in four stages when I had a brief look earlier.

Yah, it's such a hard one! I never ever saw a problem with the name Darkcoin, but boy howdy, when I talk to an outsider about it, they always think it's a nefarious thing. "Is it legal? Are you sure?" etc.... It's a real conversation killer. Needless to say my whole family thinks I'm doing something illegal. And they're the "normal" people that Bitcoin is winning over. And Bitcoin isn't even in our league. This isn't logic, and we can't go with our guts, because most of us are partial to everything about Darkcoin, especially it's name. But the outside world? Well, the name could kill this wonderful project in it's infancy.

So I know I waffle on this. We're kind of f#cked either way we go. Keep the name = limit the use of Darkcoin to "insiders who understand" change the name = start from scratch with brand recognition. Then there is "go halfway" IE, just use our initials or something, or free ourselves up to come up with any name that fits things perfectly, and lose every bit of brand recognition we ever had (well, only a years worth after all)

What to do? In a month or so, I can honestly say I've been wringing my hands over this question for an entire year, LOL.

lol yeh me too anyone who hears about it thinks it's illegal. it would be nice if the name itself didn't try to spell this out in big letters.

View attachment 1127

Do you think there is a scenario where no one decides to exit after a name change? The people against it are very vocal, that does not mean it makes less sense, the technology is exactly the same, the re-branding can be very positive for adoption. Isn't it about preserving the civil liberties of the majority? If changing the name helps us reach that majority, isn't that what we should do? I think some people just want to feel radical just for the sake of feeling radical, but if the true purpose is getting this great technology to the majority then the name must be changed.

Do you think there is a scenario where no one decides to exit after a name change? The people against it are very vocal, that does not mean it makes less sense, the technology is exactly the same, the re-branding can be very positive for adoption. Isn't it about preserving the civil liberties of the majority? If changing the name helps us reach that majority, isn't that what we should do? I think some people just want to feel radical just for the sake of feeling radical, but if the true purpose is getting this great technology to the majority then the name must be changed.
Thanks Minotaur. Exactly.

chart-jpg.1127

Inevitably decent percentage of people wouldn’t love new name (because no name could satisfy 100% of current darkcoin-lovers).

So in short-term it is causing sales and price dropping. But in long-term it will cause buying: new people (previously was affraid of «dark-name») will force the price rising.

So It is better to look at current mess as on unique possibility to buy cheap DRKs :).

At the moment isn’t clear how many are going to be sold and how many will be bought - but this uncertainty is a source of potential short-term profit and about guaranteed long-term profit. $$$

I'll leave my personal opinion about this all out of it.
All I'm hoping for is that some people who were greatly appreciated here will calm down soon and join the discussion again.
I can understand the reasons for the emotions going where they have been going though that's for sure.
Whatever happens happens, just disappointed to see the community in it's current state. That's about as neutral as I'll get on the subject so I'll leave it at that.
The tech and general idea behind DRK is what pulled me in, and as long as nothing drastically changes in that aspect (as in regulations/government control and such) I'm staying in.

Dash will die and Darkcoin succeed. Obviously.

Hey mate, you don't know me but I seen you in the BCT forum for long time

I get you are unhappy with the strategy but did you think sideways for a minute - isn't a global currency called Dash that delivers total privacy and is also used by major retailers a better way to bring privacy to the world, than a niche coin that just gets pushed further towards darknet? I mean isn't it a smarter way to get some privacy back in the real world by building that into something much bigger that the mass market will actually use?

I heard you sold your DRK, hope you buy back and don't chop your nose of to spite your face! startups are always crazy up and down but you can't give up you have to see it through!

:D

I get you are unhappy with the strategy but did you think sideways for a minute - isn't a global currency called Dash that delivers total privacy and is also used by major retailers a better way to bring privacy to the world, than a niche coin that just gets pushed further towards darknet?
:D

One important thing is - level of anonymity depends not only on tech but also on number (and "quality" For example mixing with current bitcoin-mixer users can cause more problems than benefits) of users you can mixing with. That is why huge base of non-criminal users are more important for practical anonymity than ring signatures and all such "narrow niche stuff".

One important thing is - level of anonymity depends not only on tech but also on number (and "quality" For example mixing with current bitcoin-mixer users can cause more problems than benefits) of users you can mixing with. That is why huge base of non-criminal users are more important for anonymity than ring signatures and all such "narrow niche stuff".
Good point. Phil Zimmermann, creator of PGP, always advocated to use encryption for trivial communications too to avoid the encrypted ones being identified as suspicious. Same thing with mixing.

Back