Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

Rebranding and Scalability

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by eduffield, Mar 9, 2015.

1. moli

moli Grizzled Member

What kind of shit are you smoking?

• Like Like x 1
  2. r-ando

r-ando Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

Sorry, I will only be answering constructive and intelligent comments.

3. yidakee

yidakee Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

Nothing at all !! He is quite sound on that idea. A bit off topic and maybe a little Cheech and Chong lol, but hell yeah!

Working in the entertaintment industry, I got that perfectly!! Like an intro to an informercial thing, documentary, whatever, WHAM !! The "crazy prophet's" word become truth with.... roll in 3D graphics (insert logo)

See the videos, you'll understand! First 2 minutes are build-up, then he'll blow you away. Year 1999.

EDIT:

But yeah, severely off topic. What he says is de facto now.

#183 yidakee, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  4. r-ando

r-ando Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

:) 1 love molly

tell me you wouldn't like to see a poster at your local mall with Mr. Friedman, a little dialogue bubble with him saying: Use Ecash, Save Money.
    With the new Ecash logo on the bottom right corner all nice and shiny with the website and Evan name as head Designer, something like that... I'd love to see that, even if the name Darkcoin were retained.

And I think if people are going to start proposing a bunch of names they could also include exactly how they are going to brand, market and sell it. Why was this name chosen, what was the reason, how do we make it work, which step is first and which comes after that, every single detail. That would be a great suggestion and much more valuable for analysis than just names thrown out there. Oh, and the rule here is you can't say it sounds better because that is subjective: I think, you think... thats a waste of time in the long run, people will always think differently, but that obviously doesn't stop things from succeeding.

Why? How? That's what I would love to hear as an investor. Super Evan and Team surprises aside... lol I'm always blown away :) but what is the game plan and general guiding line for making Darkcoin: Ecash the great success we all know if is destined to become. How does that connect and work out, in detail, with the new name proposed whatever it is... Its usually in the details that things start becoming more clear.

As for creating a new logo or name there is a symbology at play in the world. For example, here in Canada we pay cash, not coin. Use the existing immediate recognition ofthe word cash in peoples minds and then just add the E at the beginning. The E symbolizes a directionality of vibration towards the word cash which serves to enforce absorption of the word cash and all that is associated with it into Ecash.

The other side uses this understanding so I've come to balance the scales a bit simply by sharing the knowledge.
    This is beyond most peoples everyday understanding, but here is a link to a video that understands* the concept to those who have the desire to learn or to understand.

Bear with me for a few moments:

See how their hats are like E's, and they swing there head to attack the vibrations. This refers to string theory, what they are doing (basic version) is sending an outward movement of their vibration. The opposite of this if you reverse the direction of the E's in an inbound movement of vibration. Not for everybody.... In this way, someone could immediately see it is easy to add to a word and hard to take away from it... I'll leave it there for now.

Whats great is a word is symbolic of everything it represents, so if we target the very word and add to it. Guess what, it will become very hard to take away from it.

*illustrates

So basically the E represents the direction the shakti flows... Directionality which was created when Milton Friedman created the term(or whoever else did and told him hahaha) Most people would call it prophet yes...

#184 r-ando, Mar 10, 2015
  5. Propulsion

Propulsion The buck stops here.

Dash Address:
    XerHCGryyfZttUc6mnuRY3FNJzU1Jm9u5L
    This makes complete sense and I agree with it completely.

This is the part that offends me. I see you've also registered domain names too.

Evan, you created something amazing in the last year. Yet, you wouldn't of been able to do so without help from a bunch of people along the way. Whether it was development, PR, or even hosting websites.

To leave them out of a simple discussion on one of the largest decisions of this currency is not only insulting but also extremely harmful.

By doing this, you've ostracized some of the strongest supporters of this currency. It should of been thought out at a minimum with all of the developers.

Possibly. Yet there cannot be a single person with all the power to make such a paramount decision. More people should of been involved in this. The lack of communication and transparency is staggering.

• Like Like x 8
  6. JGCMiner

JGCMiner Moderator

100% agree. It seems like this was only discussed with the foundation board members (some of which are not all that active in the community) and NOT with the other Core devs. That is nonsensical.

If we lose dev talent over this then DRK will much worse off than if we had kept the name and just dealt with uncooperative merchants.

• Like Like x 3
  7. moli

moli Grizzled Member

8. yidakee

Foundation Member

Just like I said on 2 or 3 times here and BTC talk.

When was this ever a discussion, if not now? There was a thread, but like many I ignored because can't be bothered with pure conjecture.
    I'm officially part of the extended team, and foundation member, and I was just hit by this news, just like that. What the point then?

• Like Like x 1
  9. g8F98FF3gjafogj4

g8F98FF3gjafogj4 Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

I still support name change and think DASH is pretty good, would support a different name as well. I can understand people being upset. I also think the upset people will post 30x more often because they are feeling stronger emotions. A true vote would lead to nothing getting decided, and all possible options have the domain names snatched up by people squatting. I always assumed we would have a name change, and Dash really was the best idea that came out of that name change thread that was months and months and months old. Will the band-aid hurt? Yes! I say let's get on with it, shame we might lose a couple friends along the way, that's life unfortunately :what:

• Like Like x 1
  10. raze

raze King of the Morlocks
    Foundation Member Masternode Owner/Operator

Dash Address:
    Xtrdw361DvoyDhxL5XoeAvTxTPvM4dXuLW
    I like the idea of framing "Ecash" as an ideological successor to Friedman's ideas, but plastering his face all over everything and implying his endorsement is probably a bit much.

11. r-ando

r-ando Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

hahaha I'm throwing all the most outrageous ideas I can think of out there as long as they make sense... Hes our first celebrity endorser, he called it, I wonder how many other economists will come and say they agree over time :) It could create huge support for the idea and give us huge legitimacy.

12. Minotaur

Minotaur Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

I don't really think that the fact that he registered domains for the name he was going to publicly propose is disrespectful in any way. I didn't know he was going to propose a name change today, but I quickly went to see if he had taken important measures like registering the important domains we would need. I assume he plans to transfer those domains to the operators like Propulsion. Do you really see an option where he can propose a name without taking basic precautions like this, those domains would be registered by squatters in five minutes.

In my case I am happy the name is changing so I guess the announcement is good news to me. But honestly trying to vote on this or reach a consensus would be utterly impossible, I guess we have been expressing our opinions for months maybe since very early in the project. I think this is a very sensitive situation and trying to have some empathy with Evan I don't think there is any option in which something like this would not be controversial.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Propulsion

Propulsion The buck stops here.

Dash Address:
    XerHCGryyfZttUc6mnuRY3FNJzU1Jm9u5L
    At least all the active devs should of been talked to about this. Once again, at a minimum.

• Like Like x 2
  14. yidakee

Foundation Member

At the very least, without doubt.
    I obviously do exclude myself despite being up there in the extended team, but not as foundation member (until proper statutes are enabled)

But all in all, after all this heat and pure speculation, can we tone it down and notch an hear from Evan? Maybe he's been glued to his coding machine, as usual, and maybe just fell asleep and is going to have a mini heart-attack himself when he wakes up and realizes his very probable wrong word choice!

I've bought e few domains 'cos they were cheap and I had a cool idea... those projects never went through, but I bought them cos they was so cheap... as motivation or market strategy. Doesn't mean a thing.

Evan has always listened to us, this would be a a first.

He ONLY said he would like to rebrand, and is considering Dash. That is all. I think we should all take a few minutes to re-read the OP.

Chill out, he's no Mr. Spread.

#194 yidakee, Mar 10, 2015
  15. Museifu

Museifu New Member

I know the correlation between companies and coins is hardly exact, but it's hard to imagine a company who's had three different names within the span of little more than a year.

All the other changes sound fascinating! Can't wait to see what Evan and Co. pull out of their sleeve this time.

16. oblox

oblox Well-known Member

That's exactly it... leave it to community vote and all those options would have been snatched up instantly. Eye on the prize. Darkcoin and its all boys club (+ moli and tante) isn't going to be the kind of game changing platform for future adoption.

17. raze

raze King of the Morlocks
    Foundation Member Masternode Owner/Operator

Dash Address:
    Xtrdw361DvoyDhxL5XoeAvTxTPvM4dXuLW
    Such melodrama. Evan said they were "investigating" changing the name to Dash, not that it was foregone conclusion. The fact that they've secured naming rights and such just means they're planning ahead in case it does happen. I have no doubt Evan planned to consult the devs and community before making a final decision (although I personally would have handled it differently).

• Like Like x 2
  18. aaxx1503

aaxx1503 Active Member

Blame people here for acting like it was a final decision and like we're supposed to go ahead with marketing the new name. First time that I've ever considered dumping my Darkcoin (except while trading)

19. Stealth923

Stealth923 Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

Agreed - so many people jump off a cliff without even thinking. This is still under review.

I dont think Evan would do something immediate like this. He said he likes the name but its in no way set in stone.

There will be a brainstorming phase for sure...calm down peeps lol

EDIT: and my 2c is that we need to change the name, but not to Dash...something that sounds more sleek and rolls off the tongue better

20. buster

buster Guest

Honestly don't care what it's called as long as the developers continue to make a coin that is more anonymous than others. Anonymity is what brought me here, it's also what will keep me here.

• Like Like x 1
  21. kaene

kaene New Member

The community doesn't seem to like this, at least not this approach, and probably not the option of "dash".

Maybe a re-branding is a good idea, but rather than a new thread surprising everyone, first a talk with core developers, foundation members and main investors would be the way.

I personally like DARKCOIN, but if there is a re-brand I think it must continue carrying the main feature that made DRK what it is, the anonymous transactions.

• Like Like x 4
  22. lorddark

lorddark New Member

Darkcoin is a name that implies a whole concept of force with a touch of mystery. Renaming is to dilute its strength. Bitcoin grows with currency is stigma of terrorists and to improve the image have been flirting with regulations, and this weakens.
    Do not change the name, do so at risk of becoming another criptomoneda more.
    I do not know if this has to do with the falling price of 0.01000000 DRK until today.

#202 lorddark, Mar 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  23. yidakee

Foundation Member

You'll never be sure of that until a vote is set up. Price does NOT reflect general consensus.

• Like Like x 1
  24. alex-ru

alex-ru Grizzled Member
    Dash Support Group

We need to trust people like Minotaur, Fernando, tungfa, TaoofSatoshi, ... because they are working in the field and have practical understanding want potential users and partners need. (And they are even more competent in this question than professional marketing and branding agencies with just theoretical knowledge in crypto).

#204 alex-ru, Mar 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  25. tungfa

tungfa Administrator
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member Masternode Owner/Operator Moderator

you are getting way ahead of yourself there
    it is not just some new color and a new logo !
    rebranding needs a new mission statement , that is what you are really rebrand.

.... doing a Preas Release ....
    you kidding me, we have so many good potentials (contacts) for making a real launch out of this (and we have to), I send out an email last night !!
    I only hope somebody will listen as if we do this as gurillia style like this we would lose a huge opportunity !

• Like Like x 4
  26. moli

moli Grizzled Member

• Like Like x 3
  27. tungfa

tungfa Administrator
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member Masternode Owner/Operator Moderator

can we just hold on with the tweeting around ?
    God dam ...
    "how to confuse a market"
    or what is the idea
    we do not even know what we are doing , what evan is thinking and has planned .... there is no need to get your Twitter people involfed in this and start your "PR" empty handed !!!

can we just sort this out for a minute !!!

• Like Like x 3
  28. oblox

oblox Well-known Member

I agree that PRing is premature at best until it has been 100% finalized. Just makes the most sense from a practical standpoint.

• Like Like x 1
  29. buster

buster Guest

After reading all comments, I still don't care what the name is. The thing that amazes me is how could you not discuss this with your core developers before even making this post? Why not *see what kind of an affect it has on the people doing work. Who gives a shit what *the community thinks. Discuss this with the people who matter most, the developers. Without them we no longer have a "Dev team that can match bitcoin" .
    *edited for grammer / spelling errors

#209 buster, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  30. bhkien

bhkien Active Member

How about Fash (Future cash, or Fast cash)?