• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

New website discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
@AndyDark @fernando @kot @Minotaur is this going to be a static site, or a wordpress site? or something else?

Edit: Also looking for someone in the community capable of making a awesome "short video" literally showing someone buying something with Dash on thier phone with a QUALITY CAMERA.

Example:

But "just the part where people actually use the phone to do something", just showing "hands and the phone"

@TheDashGuy hey bud. personally I recommended static, at least the bulk of it like everything except the blog, so we just produce multi-lang html content and upload it old school. because we have to revamp for Evo probably within a year, and wiring to CMS is more dev work in the interim that will probably have to be redone and push the release back. the data in the market / network info would be dynamic from external APIs.

@TheDashGuy
At the moment it is going to be a Wordpress site (to allow non-technical people produce the content - most of the time translations) exported to static pages (for security reasons).
Please work under assumption that it will be Wordpress. With Evo website, we can do a little bit more.

@TheDashGuy
At the moment it is going to be a Wordpress site (to allow non-technical people produce the content - most of the time translations) exported to static pages (for security reasons).
Please work under assumption that it will be Wordpress. With Evo website, we can do a little bit more.

What theme are we going to start off with because I just picked up http://themeforest.net/item/enfold-responsive-multipurpose-theme/4519990

And starting to build it in Wordpress might be a better way to spend my time simply because I will have to re-do alot of this anyways, so thats good to know.

I'll get this current version visually to a good place and stop digging in too deep to the content since most of this is just layout work still and will need even more massaging on a wordpress site.

Although doing things like a video background image is also alot simpler with a wordpress theme... so i'll just use an image to show that idea for now.

@kot as I told @fernando, I'll try and get you a version I'm happy with by the weekend, then we can circle around and see whats next.

@Raptor73 are you up for 1-2 requests for your awesome 3D-ness? :p
@alex-ru Would you be up for recording a simple 20 second video to be used as a background-video of the main area of the page if people like the idea? Just need some pretty hands in a sunny park sending someone else dash or something like this.

Le me know. Thanks.

@alex-ru Would you be up for recording a simple 20 second video to be used as a background-video of the main area of the page if people like the idea? Just need some pretty hands in a sunny park sending someone else dash or something like this.

Hey @TheDashGuy ,

Let me repeat my old post:
"Short "smartphone demo" video - if we really (?) have to replace current "What is Dash? video" [I am not sure! There are so many mobile payment services these days - so showing people "just one more" isn't enough - we have to explain how Dash is different from all of them].
Well - it should be easy understandable without sound. As wallet interface will be changing during Evolution, we could temporary use some abstract video like this: http://www.shutterstock.com/ru/vide...-store-directly-from-a-smartphone-device.html"

Sorry, I am not filming videos by myself, but I am editing existing professional clips filmed by others...
I think that before producing any new dash-specific video - I would recommend to test some abstract video-prototype to make sure if it suits well - we may even not buy it, but use some demo-video for testing...

Hey @TheDashGuy ,

Let me repeat my old post:
"Short "smartphone demo" video - if we really (?) have to replace current "What is Dash? video" [I am not sure! There are so many mobile payment services these days - so showing people "just one more" isn't enough - we have to explain how Dash is different from all of them].
Well - it should be easy understandable without sound. As wallet interface will be changing during Evolution, we could temporary use some abstract video like this: http://www.shutterstock.com/ru/vide...-store-directly-from-a-smartphone-device.html"

Sorry, I am not filming videos by myself, but I am editing existing professional clips filmed by others...
I think that before producing any new dash-specific video - I would recommend to test some abstract video-prototype to make sure if it suits well - we may even not buy it, but use some demo-video for testing...

The abstract would be perfect if we had our own images in there :p It will be like 20% opacity anyways and have text above it, just trying to go for the visual of "oh thats what Dash is/does"

i recommend to not get tangled up in details of videos or what images to use
we should just get the visual framework of the page up for now !
we can deal with the details later on

i recommend to not get tangled up in details of videos or what images to use
we should just get the visual framework of the page up for now !
we can deal with the details later on

They go hand-in-hand sometimes sadly.

I am avoiding most of the imagery right now, but some of the design-oriented imagery needs to be hashed out. So we know what the end goal is.

They go hand-in-hand sometimes sadly.

I am avoiding most of the imagery right now, but some of the design-oriented imagery needs to be hashed out. So we know what the end goal is.

i totally hear you (Front page and such)
still it would be great to get the general visual framework knocked out so we can work on all other (than frontage) pages :rolleyes:

i totally hear you (Front page and such)
still it would be great to get the general visual framework knocked out so we can work on all other (than frontage) pages :rolleyes:

Working on it! I just wanted to know what our main "focus" was, or atleast a general idea as it changes some of the stuff I wanted to do. Well see what it turns out like then go from there. But yea, doing colors n such. Need to clean up my messy codes then show @kot and would also like @AndyDark to check it out.

Still would like to use those awesome icons @salmion ;]

As many know, some of us in the team have been working on the new site.]

Thank you, Fernando !

Gosh, what a great and productive thread !!

I was stunned by the Greyghost link to madwell ! Yet a fastload homepage has got to be critical.

Target audience... That's the tough question.

I can foresee there will need to be a separation in impact presented for different level users.
The hit & run crowd will not get into detailed documents when on their mobile device and devs or significant investors will not be satisfied with the level of information presentable upon the small screen.

What a great thread !
rc

...and I did read Warren's letter to the Gates family...

Last edited:
Thank you, Fernando !

Gosh, what a great and productive thread !!

I was stunned by the Greyghost link to madwell ! Yet a fastload homepage has got to be critical.

Target audience... That's the tough question.

I can foresee there will need to be a separation in impact presented for different level users.
The hit & run crowd will not get into detailed docments when on their mobile device and devs or significant investors will not be satisfied with the level of information presentable upon the small screen.

What a great thread !
rc

...and I did read Warren's letter to the Gates family...

The main thing for me I want the new website to do that the current one isn't doing is to bring together all the services where user's can spend Dash and channel our traffic to use those services.

Because right now services / products you can buy with Dash are tucked away in a forum thread that I don't think most people are going to either find or bother to search through when instead the best ways to spend Dash should be headlining on our web presence, to drive user's into those services

We get a lot of traffic on dash.org but we're not converting that into subscribers (to services that accept Dash)

The version after this one for Evolution will be primarily aimed at converting visitors to subscribers to Dash through signups, and the merchant directory and user accounts will be integrated into the blockchain itself. But for now...we need to turn a disparate ecosystem where discovery is almost impossible into more of a micro economy like @GreyGhost and others are working on too

Last edited:
How fickle can the public be ?
How fast can my own interest fade ?
lol
The romance is over.

I really enjoyed my first blush at madwellDOTcom, and the 2nd !

I showed it to 1 son... he lingered for less than a minute and wandered away...
Then, I asked another son to pull up the site on his 5g cellphone. It was Not pretty. Nor was his reaction !
So he showed me, and all I viewed was a drab, single screen, which didn't seem to want to take me anywhere.
Seems there is quite a bit more to programming websites for multiple platforms than the likes of me can imagine !

...which might leave me with the impression that the KISS principle retains it's validity.
Best
rc

Hi @TheDashGuy - I was wondering if you have any updates on this.
Would you please let us know? :)
Thanks

Yea sorry, my last three days were lets just say not ideal, had to go out and get a new phone, the weather is murderously hot up here right now and I was taking care of some stuff. Give me another day or two and i'll have a version for you guys, in regards to your PM @kot, i'll see if I can identify some places I need assistance with, such as alot of imagery will be needed or whatever else.

Just to be clear to everyone, I know its been a few weeks, but don't go thinking i've had everyday to work on this :p

I would estimate I spent like 15 hours so far and most of that was doing and redoing certain pieces until I was happy. Anything I "turn in" is by no means set in stone and I welcome any and all feedback, but lets just keep in mind this thing needs a decent amount of more work until it will feel completed and polished.

Sorry this has been taking me so long.

Okay so at this point I'm at crossroads, I could just keep hammering away at random things and hopefully keep progressing but life seems to be getting busier and busier everyday and I'm not sure I can "fully commit" enough time at the moment to be productive, I'll package up what I have and hand it back over to @kot and @AndyDark but I need to refocus my efforts as I'm getting told I'm slacking (on multiple projects) from all sides and it's kinda of making me irritated not going to lie.

So expect a PM with a .ZIP file at some point today @kot and @AndyDark.

Again, willing to help, but I obviously underestimated the amount of work and collaboration that needs to go into this project and I'm honestly just feeling a little burnt out between this shitty election and some of the other things going on right now. I just want to show some progress and I feel like that progress might best me made on my own paid gigs and DashNation for now.

Okay so at this point I'm at crossroads, I could just keep hammering away at random things and hopefully keep progressing but life seems to be getting busier and busier everyday and I'm not sure I can "fully commit" enough time at the moment to be productive, I'll package up what I have and hand it back over to @kot and @AndyDark but I need to refocus my efforts as I'm getting told I'm slacking (on multiple projects) from all sides and it's kinda of making me irritated not going to lie.

So expect a PM with a .ZIP file at some point today @kot and @AndyDark.

Again, willing to help, but I obviously underestimated the amount of work and collaboration that needs to go into this project and I'm honestly just feeling a little burnt out between this shitty election and some of the other things going on right now. I just want to show some progress and I feel like that progress might best me made on my own paid gigs and DashNation for now.
This is bad news, but I understand where you are at. You've advanced this significantly and now we are better off than when you took it, so thank you for that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back