• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

New website discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
update: Shouldn't be long now

one thing holding us up is we only have one guy doing LESS/SASS/CSS and he's in demand on various projects (Joshua). If anyone has these skills please let me know.

update: Shouldn't be long now

one thing holding us up is we only have one guy doing LESS/SASS/CSS and he's in demand on various projects (Joshua). If anyone has these skills please let me know.

Like soon how soon is soon going to be? Don't be like blizzard! Timeline please men!! Dash website is old enough already, new one is supposed to be 100x better so we need it sooner than soon, pretty pelase.

:(

Hi FungibilityMan, my part of the bottleneck is past -- there was a several week stretch where I was trying to make a bunch of progress on Evolution CSS before Evan's presentation in Atlanta. The presentation took a different direction and that work became less urgent, and since then I have been focusing on website development.

I hear your comments about urgency...I really want to get this launched too! I'm spending about half of my home time working on this, just ignoring Evolution tasks for the time being.

If you've done web development with other people before, you know how hard it is to come up with time estimates. Just know that for my part, I'm devoting as much time as I can without quitting my day job or jeopardizing my relationships, and that's been sufficient for me to keep up with the rest of the team.

Last edited:
Hi FungibilityMan, my part of the bottleneck is past -- there was a several week stretch where I was trying to make a bunch of progress on Evolution CSS before Evan's presentation in Atlanta. The presentation took a different direction and that work became less urgent, and since then I have been focusing on website development.

I hear your comments about urgency...I really want to get this launched too! I'm spending about half of my home time working on this, just ignoring Evolution tasks for the time being.

If you've done web development with other people before, you know how hard it is to come up with time estimates. Just know that for my part, I'm devoting as much time as I can without quitting my day job or jeopardizing my relationships, and that's been sufficient for me to keep up with the rest of the team.

Much appreciated.

Perhaps you can go into mere vague details? Like 2-4 weeks of work? 4-8 weeks? ANything?

And What is holding you back except for time constraints? How many hours do you find yourself working on this project per week?

Much appreciated.

Perhaps you can go into mere vague details? Like 2-4 weeks of work? 4-8 weeks? ANything?

And What is holding you back except for time constraints? How many hours do you find yourself working on this project per week?

Andy probably has a better idea how complete the project is. I haven't tried to take a big picture look or dive into a todo list with anyone yet, I'm just staying focused on whatever the next part is that I can work on. If I make up some timeline it would just cause problems without giving you a clearer idea of how it's going.

I don't have any blockers right now. There are a couple pages designed and marked up, waiting for styles now, which I hope to finish styling this evening.

I guess I put in... 4-20 hours a week? Average is probably about eight hours.

Andy probably has a better idea how complete the project is. I haven't tried to take a big picture look or dive into a todo list with anyone yet, I'm just staying focused on whatever the next part is that I can work on. If I make up some timeline it would just cause problems without giving you a clearer idea of how it's going.

I don't have any blockers right now. There are a couple pages designed and marked up, waiting for styles now, which I hope to finish styling this evening.

I guess I put in... 4-20 hours a week? Average is probably about eight hours.

OKay thanks man!!

@AndyDark you in charge? Whats timeline man?

update: we've been very lucky to have a new contributor come forward since my last message who has some awesome frontend skills like Joshua does. I'll let them intro themselves if they want. so we can speed up. I'll keep my guestimate of 4-8- weeks but should be able to bring this forward soon.

I find it to be way to busy with too much right on the front page. This gives a cluttered look and is an immediate turn off. Rather have a few main features stated on the home page, as was suggested previously, and then if someone wants to learn more about that particular aspect they can select it and go from there. In graphic design, it's always true that "less is more". Think CLEAN, open, user friendly.

update: we've been very lucky to have a new contributor come forward since my last message who has some awesome frontend skills like Joshua does. I'll let them intro themselves if they want. so we can speed up. I'll keep my guestimate of 4-8- weeks but should be able to bring this forward soon.

Hi @AndyDark, it has been 8 weeks since this post, may we please have an update on this project status and estimated delivery?
Thanks

Well, 7 weeks and 6 days heh. Looking forward to seeing what you've got so far :)

Update: ok, so the consensus in the website team is to not rush out the site for today but push it to next Monday (14th) for a beta launch and that's a hard date not a guestimate - there's a few pages with work left to do (download, contacts, blog post details) and we need to run through all the pages again to update the copy/ content / translations.

I'll post it on Monday on a beta URL so we can test it publicly and fix / tweak any issues people have, before we go live on dash.org

thank you for everyone's patience, we're working hard on it and most of the team are volunteering outside of their dayjob / Evo work including Perry from Node40 who has been a massive help. We're pretty excited with it though and looking forward to releasing it, it will be great to inform users of Dash's benefits and drive traffic to merchants. i'll post the test link on the 14th

Cheers
Andy

If you need more volunteers to look at it pre-beta, just let me know; i have a pretty good eye for detail.

Pablo.

Update: ok, so the consensus in the website team is to not rush out the site for today but push it to next Monday (14th) for a beta launch and that's a hard date not a guestimate - there's a few pages with work left to do (download, contacts, blog post details) and we need to run through all the pages again to update the copy/ content / translations.

I'll post it on Monday on a beta URL so we can test it publicly and fix / tweak any issues people have, before we go live on dash.org

thank you for everyone's patience, we're working hard on it and most of the team are volunteering outside of their dayjob / Evo work including Perry from Node40 who has been a massive help. We're pretty excited with it though and looking forward to releasing it, it will be great to inform users of Dash's benefits and drive traffic to merchants. i'll post the test link on the 14th

Cheers
Andy

You guys are literally the worst web developers ever. I can't believe people are still buying this bull. You guys have the world record for longest time to launch a freaking few html pages. I am literally feeling bad for this community that they put up with this crap.

Soooo happy I don't have to worry about any of this crap anymore.

Announcing soft-launch for the beta dash.org V2 website

Please find the beta site, for testing and evaluation:

http://www-test.dash.org/

Source: https://github.com/perrywoodin/dash-website

There are still some things to before the live launch, such as:
  1. Downloads page (wire up the downloads, additional content)
  2. Contacts page (create)
  3. Network (add exchanges, mining section)
  4. Team page (make sections / add missing people, bios, pics)
  5. Translations (add missing, add French)
  6. Blog - post images
  7. Styling - some pages need better styling
  8. SEO
  9. Analytics
  10. WIKI IA review / restructure

Thanks to the team:

0xfff - HTML/CSS/JS, Design lead
Joshua Siegler - HTML/CSS/JS, Style lead
Perry Woodin - HTML/CSS/JS, Architecture, Build, Testing
Sean Ryan - Data/API
Andy Freer - HTML/JS, content, layouts, testing
Tungfa - Content, research, translations, testing
maybeinc.com - initial design
etherdesign.io - design support
Alex-ru - Translations
Junior Spector - Translations
SilvioHick - Translations
Leonidas - Translations
Fernando - Multi-tooling, translations
..and anyone i missed

Going forward...

Contributing:

What would help is more people developing on the HTML/CSS/JS side as everyone in the current team has day-jobs and Evo work. (we are looking for a fullstack HTML/CS/JS developer with Backbone experience to do this fulltime). If you know someone for the fulltime position, or you are willing to contribute please get in touch (ping me here or email andy at dash.org) or submit your pull requests to the main repo: https://github.com/perrywoodin/dash-website (will be moved to dashpay when we go live)

Testing:
We'd appreciate help with general testing links, content, missing items (like forums, merchants, dash websites we can link), translations, images, copy

Bugs / Issues / Suggestions:
You can report suggestions here or for issues please post on the Github repo: https://github.com/perrywoodin/dash-website

Go live:
Once we're happy the beta is ready and the remaining work done we can launch it to dash.org, and maintain the current site for a time on e.g. old.dash.org

Next phase (V3)
The next version will be the Evo version, with the main call to action being to signup a user account instead of downloading a wallet. This has been taken into consideration so this site is half way there already and we can reuse the architecture. We will start on V3 soon as this one is launched.

PS:
Special thanks to Perry & Sean from Node40 for putting in a lot of hours and foundations for this outside of their day job hosting Masternodes at https://node40.com/ :)

By the way, @0xfff made a masternode visualizer in WebGL. We didn't have time to put it in the beta as it needs optimizing and some browser detection (as it needs a 3D card and latest browser too) so it's just a static image on the homepage for now. but you can checkout the live version here:

http://0xfff.io/dash-masternode-globe/

Thanks,
Andy Freer

Last edited:
Thanks @AndyDark and everyone involved to getting a test version out!

One comment I have, testing the http://www-test.dash.org/community/ page (and the main page) on both desktop (firefox) and mobile (android/chrome), to me it is not obvious that those lists are scrollable. On mobile, from the home page it gets me used to scrolling down, not across so it doesn't occur to me that I can swipe to the side to see more, especially since it only shows one giant icon at a time. And on desktop I can kind of see those fading effects on the sides but it's not immediately apparent that you can click/drag to view more. The way that it scrolls on desktop is also a little awkward (when I repeatedly click/drag with my mouse, it seems to occasionally get "stuck" and scroll in the wrong direction).

Also FYI the http://www-test.dash.org/contact/ page is a placeholder. EDIT: but you already knew that ;)

Edit #2: The "Source Code" link on the page footer points to https://github.com/dashpay/dash-website which is a 404

I'll keep poking around :)

Last edited:
tx for the posts
please keep em coming
i am updating a google doc for andy and others with "issues" reported

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back