• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Masternode guide for complete noobs to update to 0.12.0.58

Ryan Taylor

Foundation Member
EDIT: Updated for the 0.12.0.58 release. Assumes you are simply upgrading and already have a remote masternode running on a Linux 64-bit operating system. Also, I changed the order of the steps to ensure your MN is down for as little time as possible (thus reducing the probability that you will need to manually restart the masternode from your cold wallet)... in previous versions this guide had you stop the MN before it was absolutely necessary. Finally, I have changed some verbiage to improve the clarity of some steps.

Note that dash-cli may not be necessary to replace, but I always replace it just in case something has changed.

Step 1: Once logged into your linux server, identify the location of "dashd" and "dash-cli" - these are the files we aim to replace

Most guides have users place dashd and dash-cli in the main directory while others place them inside a dash directory. No worries, it should be easy to find. Let's take a look at your files. Navigate to the main login directory and determine the location of these files.
Code:
cd ~
la
You should see a list of files and directories. You will likely see dashd and dash-cli directly here, or there might be some directories for dash in which they reside. If you didn't see dashd or dash-cli here, you will likely see a directory with dash in the name and you can navigate there to take a look.
Code:
cd ~/.<directory name here>
You should be able to search around and find it easily.

Step 2: Get the version number of your current dashd masternode
This will be useful if you plan to keep copies of your old dashd
Code:
./dash-cli getinfo
Note down the version. You will need that information later.

Step 3: Now we need to get the new files
Code:
wget https://www.dash.org/binaries/dash-0.12.0.58-linux64.tar.gz
You should see the file downloading (although you may need to wait a while for it to start). Once it is done, we should be able to see the file. Let's take a look.
Code:
la

Step 4: Now we need to unpack the contents
Code:
tar xfvz dash-0.12.0.58-linux64.tar.gz
You should see a bunch of new directories that got created and a couple of dashd files will be among them. For the purposes of this guide, I'm assuming that you require the 64 bit version.

Step 5: Stop your old dashd and move the old binaries to a new name

This example assumes that you were previously running 12.0.57, and really you could name the old dashd and dash-cli whatever you want if you'd like to use a different naming convention than I've suggested below. It is a good idea to keep at least one old copy of an earlier version of dashd around just in case there is a "rollback" or major bug discovered or you get hung up on a later step in this procedure. You can then move it back to its original state and restart, without hunting down the old version.
Code:
./dash-cli stop
mv dashd dashd-120057
mv dash-cli dash-cli-120057
Some users may also wish to keep things a bit cleaner and create a directory to store their old dashd files. That's fine too.

Step 6: Copy the new version of dashd and dash-cli to the desired directory
Code:
cp dash-0.12.0/bin/dash-cli dash-cli
cp dash-0.12.0/bin/dashd dashd
You can check that the new dashd and dash-cli are where you need them.
Code:
la

Step 7: Set read, write and execute permissions on dashd (if you wish)
You can first check on the current settings.
Code:
ls -la dashd
And modify them if you wish. I suggest following.
Code:
chmod 755 dashd

Step 8: Launch the new version of dashd
Code:
./dashd

Step 9: Check the current version to make sure everything was done correctly
Code:
./dashd-cli getinfo
You should see the current version as "120058"

Step 10: Ensure that your IP is listed in the masternode list
Code:
./dash-cli masternode list full | grep <your.IP.address>
You should see your IP address listed as "ENABLED" with a ":9999" at the end if everything is working properly. If you don't get that result, wait a few seconds and try again.

EDIT: As long as you upgrade quickly, the masternode should establish itself as active. If you wait a long period and still cannot get your IP address to come up as active, you may need to go back to your local console and restart your masternode. If your IP address is not listed right away after performing step 10, you should wait about 15 seconds and try running the "masternode list" command again. Your IP might not show up the first time you try, but may show up after a few seconds. If it still doesn't show up after you give it a few minutes, go back to your cold wallet's console and restart the masternode. From your cold wallet's console, enter "walletpassphrase <your passphrase> 60" followed by "masternode start-alias" and the alias of the masternode to start your masternode again. However, remote starting your masternode will cause it to fall to the back of the payment queue, so you only want to do this when absolutely needed.

Step 11: Get rid of all those files we no longer need
First, let's remove that entire set of files in the new dash-0.12.0 directory and all subdirectories, along with the packed .tar.gz file.
Code:
rm -rf dash-0.12.0
rm dash-0.12.0.58-linux64.tar.gz
la
Everything should be gone from the file download. Next, scan through what's there and if there are some older dashd and dash-cli versions you've been holding on to and no longer want, let's remove those too. This is where naming the versions of your old files comes in handy. In this example, there are old copies from version 0.12.0.56.
Code:
rm dashd-120056 (or whatever older versions you want to clean out)
rm dash-cli-120056

Step 12: After 30-60 minutes, go to https://dashninja.pl/ to check to see that your version number is showing as updated

Step 13: Provide any feedback on this guide, especially if there are steps at which you struggled, and I'll try to make it more clear

https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DOC/Update+to+0.12.0.58+Guide+for+noobs

Last edited:
Wish I had found this guide first before figuring it out the hard way. For some reason the grep command is not doing anything after the update. I do show up in Elbozo list as open and on the correct firmware but not listed on any of the servers. I am going to start over and re-download the update to see is that helps. Does anyone else have any suggestions or ideas to fix this. Thanks

*edit
see post 96 thru 101 here for solution.
https://darkcointalk.org/threads/dr...-windows-local-linux-remote-vultr.1367/page-5

Last edited by a moderator:
I followed these instructions to the letter, but when I do darkcoind masternode list | grep <insert my ip here> I get a blank command line. Do I need to do masternode start from my local machine?

Have the same probelm as David for all my masternodes

Something missing between step 9 and 10 you have to make on the local wallet with good version (10.12.25 errr 26 now) (where the 1000DRK are) and the good conf file (private key ,Ip master node, masternode=1).

masternode start "PASSFRASE"

Something missing between step 9 and 10 you have to make on the local wallet with good version (10.12.25 errr 26 now) (where the 1000DRK are) and the good conf file (private key ,Ip master node, masternode=1).

masternode start "PASSFRASE"
Thank you for pointing out... a moderator had updated but didn't add the additional steps you pointed out. I just went through and edited my post for the fact that in this version you need to go back to the console and masternode start. Should be accurate now. Let me know if anything else has changed, but I think this one change makes the instructions accurate.

Thank you for pointing out... a moderator had updated but didn't add the additional steps you pointed out. I just went through and edited my post for the fact that in this version you need to go back to the console and masternode start. Should be accurate now. Let me know if anything else has changed, but I think this one change makes the instructions accurate.

I didn't do it yet as I'm at work.

But take care also if you use the QT for the local wallet (with 1000DRK), should disable the anomizacion first, otherwise your 1000DRK will go denominating and didn't have anymore 1000 DRK on 0 address.

As far as I understood the dafault is OFF for deamon only but ON for QT wallet...

EDIT : OK no worry :
"When you run the qt with masternode=1 in the darkcoin.conf as you need to do for the local remote setup, it wont denominate or mix. So no worries""

If you could update .26 to .27 it would be perfect.

Also a minor comment to a great guide :smile:: the edit about having to restart the masternode from the local wallet console gets lost where it is. I think it would be better to include it in Step 8 or 9.

Is there a guide like this for MAC OS to upgrade to 0.10.12.32 ??
and
is there a guide to migrate MN from one location to another (Amazon) for MAC ??

Tx

Just use this guide and replace 31 with 32.

Not getting the question. Just send the coins to your new mn location?
I was thinking to migrate the whole MN (example) from Japan to Iceland (in Amazone)
but i believe that does not work, correct ?!

Tx for the other answer, i am learning !!!
(sorry for the dumb tech questions)

I was thinking to migrate the whole MN (example) from Japan to Iceland (in Amazone)
but i believe that does not work, correct ?!

Tx for the other answer, i am learning !!!
(sorry for the dumb tech questions)
Shut it down (dont terminate, just stop it)
Create a snapshot (right click > create image)
Wait till AMI is ready (under my AMIs)
Right click it > copy > Ireland
Wait

Profit.

Shut it down (dont terminate, just stop it)
Create a snapshot (right click > create image)
Wait till AMI is ready (under my AMIs)
Right click it > copy > Ireland
Wait

Profit.

Whoowwww
ok cool, tx, i will try that out later !!!

Back