• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Jump start dash adoption by acquiring 400k users in 4 months

Should we give $1 to everyone who signs up and verifies with SMS OTP ?

• yes

Votes: 22 62.9%
  • no

Votes: 13 37.1%

• Total voters
If privacy is a concern, then the technical constraint here is not that the phone number is stored somewhere (centralized or decentralized), but that wallet addresses can be linked to phone numbers.

In that case, is there a way to verify that a phone number belongs to someone without ever linking that phone number to them? Using cryptographic techniques we could obscure links between a person’s phone number and their public key, such as with a mixing service or zero knowledge proofs.

We can pool everybody’s encrypted phone number upon registration, and allow all members of the pool to receive a wallet address with $1 worth of DASH.

Since everybody in the pool will receive a dollar, we only need to record that the phone number is part of the pool. A hash of the user’s phone number can be created, and a “token” can be generated from that hash for claiming the $1 wallets. To be extra secure, this hashing function can be executed offline on the user’s device before they’re sent to the pool.

We can then generate the wallet addresses trustlessly, without knowledge of which phone number requested it. Using zero knowledge proofs, the wallet creation service can ask the encrypted phone number pooling system: “Does this token match the hashed phone numbers in your system?”. The wallet creation service does not need to know the encrypted phone numbers stored in the pool, only that the token matches and the user is entitled to $1 in DASH. If the number pooling system returns true, users will receive their $1 wallet and their token invalidated.

As long as the hashing function is secure, we would not need to worry about phone numbers being linked to public wallet addresses, and the phone number can even be throwaway. The only downside is that if the number ever gets reassigned to someone new that has ever claimed a $1 DASH wallet before, they will not be able to do so again.

I'm not a cryptographer or economist, but I wonder if this is possible?

Last edited:
If privacy is a concern, then the technical constraint here is not that the phone number is stored somewhere (centralized or decentralized), but that wallet addresses can be linked to phone numbers.

In that case, is there a way to verify that a phone number belongs to someone without ever linking that phone number to them? Using cryptographic techniques we could obscure links between a person’s phone number and their public key, such as with a mixing service or zero knowledge proofs.

We can pool everybody’s encrypted phone number upon registration, and allow all members of the pool to receive a wallet address with $1 worth of DASH.

Since everybody in the pool will receive a dollar, we only need to record that the phone number is part of the pool. A hash of the user’s phone number can be created, and a “token” can be generated from that hash for claiming the $1 wallets. To be extra secure, this hashing function can be executed offline on the user’s device before they’re sent to the pool.

We can then generate the wallet addresses trustlessly, without knowledge of which phone number requested it. Using zero knowledge proofs, the wallet creation service can ask the encrypted phone number pooling system: “Does this token match the hashed phone numbers in your system?”. The wallet creation service does not need to know the encrypted phone numbers stored in the pool, only that the token matches and the user is entitled to $1 in DASH. If the number pooling system returns true, users will receive their $1 wallet and their token invalidated.

As long as the hashing function is secure, we would not need to worry about phone numbers being linked to public wallet addresses, and the phone number can even be throwaway. The only downside is that if the number ever gets reassigned to someone new that has ever claimed a $1 DASH wallet before, they will not be able to do so again.

This is usefull, as long as the database is distributed and the task of adding hashes of phone numbers in the database is performed in a decentralized way ( by the masternodes maybe?)
Because if the job is performed by a single server , the administrator may claim that he deleted the phone numbers, but in reality he may not do that, and there is no way to verify whether he is telling the truth or not. At least, if many servers (operated by different admins) are doing the job, some of them may tell the truth and some phone numbers may be deleted for sure. You may also give the option to the holder of the phone number to select the server he trusts.

Last edited:
Random thought...

I haven't thought this through but I'm loosely wondering if it would be better to concentrate on a very specific location within
Venezuela and target a handful of businesses, specifically targeting an entire supply chain. For example, a restaurant that buys fish from a fisherman or rice from a farmer. This way, each person in the chain has someone to sell and buy.

Why venezuela specifically? There are countries that are more poor.
I agree that the phone otp project should target the real economy, and incentivize the 1$ dash slaves to do their transactions in dash. Otherwise all of them will cash their dash to their local currency, and thus the campaign will be futile (from the dash point of view). It will be a pure charity, and no benefit will occur for dash (apart from the fact that it will make dash known)

Last edited:
Poor countries have 2 or 3 phone exchanges. If something like this happen, Dash could contact the phone exchange and make a deal with it, in order to be protected from the insiders. As i said before, a proof of importance algorithm (similar to the Iota coin algorithm) could be applied to those who will receive the dividend, and this will help investigate and discover a potential fraud.

Came across this yesterday, it looks like phone company security is becoming a prime target:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/21/business/dealbook/phone-hack-bitcoin-virtual-currency.html

Came across this yesterday, it looks like phone company security is becoming a prime target:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/21/business/dealbook/phone-hack-bitcoin-virtual-currency.html

thanks but i am very well aware of this exploit as i mentioned previously this a social engineering hack and not entirely a technical one, which takes a lot of effort and is usually aimed at millionaire investors.

hacking for $1 that we give to the poor would be an utter shame to any hackers.

The only way hackers could ever compromise our campaign would be to hack all the phones in a particular country and if that happens i am sure the govt will stop such a thing.

thanks but i am very well aware of this exploit as i mentioned previously this a social engineering hack and not entirely a technical one, which takes a lot of effort and is usually aimed at millionaire investors.

hacking for $1 that we give to the poor would be an utter shame to any hackers.

The only way hackers could ever compromise our campaign would be to hack all the phones in a particular country and if that happens i am sure the govt will stop such a thing.

True, not worth it for a dollar but if someone's so impressed they move their life savings... Not sure if it would be possible without the phone number being visible to someone other than the phones owner :/

On the other hand, the same way the gov can stop hackers, the same way the gov can be aware of the people who use dash, and this is not a good thing. And this is where the proof of individuality stands.

True, not worth it for a dollar but if someone's so impressed they move their life savings... Not sure if it would be possible without the phone number being visible to someone other than the phones owner :/

ok so , we don't hold the private keys of your dash wallet , the users holds it themselves and it's their responsibility to keep them safe and tbh with you if you are putting millions you better understand how crypto security works

btw we will teach all these things on the site getfreedash.com starting from basic stuff to advanced stuff ( like hardware wallets etc ) , this site will be a one stop shop to learn things about crypto and dash. it's not just about throwing the $1 at you, want to make it more like a site that gives all round info and incentivizes you to bring your friends.

ok so , we don't hold the private keys of your dash wallet , the users holds it themselves and it's their responsibility to keep them safe and tbh with you if you are putting millions you better understand how crypto security works

btw we will teach all these things on the site getfreedash.com starting from basic stuff to advanced stuff ( like hardware wallets etc ) , this site will be a one stop shop to learn things about crypto and dash. it's not just about throwing the $1 at you, want to make it more like a site that gives all round info and incentivizes you to bring your friends.

Lol, faucet 2.0 ;) It's a shame this is coming before Evolution, the profiles would probably make these security issues irrelevant.

Lol, faucet 2.0 ;) It's a shame this is coming before Evolution, the profiles would probably make these security issues irrelevant.

possibly we will inform poeple about the evolution's evolution as well, but Evolution can't bring in millions of users without giving a bit of carrot ($1)

...but Evolution can't bring in millions of users without giving a bit of carrot ($1)

You are an arrogant master!!!! But the slaves, and especially the new generation Dash slaves (with your greedy decisions you have already enslaved the new generations of Dash), they will ignore your coin similar to the way you ignore me right now. Remember that.
I know that I am a slave in Dash, as long as I have no voting rights. But among the different slavery types that exist, I only accept to be an athenian slave.
@TanteStefana, you seem to be the kind of master who does not tolerate back-chat from his slaves.
Where is my dress @TanteStefana?
Where are my nuts and fruits?
The 2014-1016 generation of masters took all the coins for themselves.

My wallet is empty, so you should give me some Dash to buy some food and get dressed.

@amanda_b_johnson have a look at the proposal and please support it if you can
She is not active in the forum (amanda_b_johnson was last seen: Aug 8, 2017) but she is still active in twitter. You may go there and ask her to bless this campaign.

I could do it myself, but I have not a twitter acount, and additionaly @amanda_b_johnson doesnt give a shit about the opinion of the slaves (like me). You are a masternode owner, and amanda is a well known MNO flatterer. So your call in twitter may incentivize her.

Last edited:
just bought a domain called getfreedash.com and hosted it :)

Please add "under construction" at the top of the site, and ask the visitors whether they want to be informed by mail whenever the site will be ready and active.

Additionaly, is this site open source?
What kind of code do you write?
Do you have a github project?

Please add "under construction" at the top of the site, and ask the visitors whether they want to be informed by mail whenever the site will be ready and active.

Additionaly, is this site open source?
What kind of code do you write?
Do you have a github project?

this is just a website builder , i am yet to hire devs and others, once the code is all done and i will put it on github with the list of dash transactions done ,so that people can trust that we have paid.

Last edited:
I like the idea of this and would vote if you submit a proposal but at the moment there seems to be too much controversy about this to risk an official proposal yet. Good luck.

Sounds like a good plan. If things are looking good you might be able to run this on donations till the official proposal passes. I wouldn't mind donating a little bit though of course if this blows up that's wouldn't scale.

Sounds like a good plan. If things are looking good you might be able to run this on donations till the official proposal passes. I wouldn't mind donating a little bit though of course if this blows up that's wouldn't scale.
Thanks for the support again , will start with $100 and check that, watch this space :)

Last edited:
this is just a website builder , i am yet to hire devs and others, once the code is all done and i will put it on github with the list of dash transactions done ,so that people can trust that we have paid.
For our purpose, there is a few code and a lot of installation/customization/configuration/administration.

I made a quick and dirty google search and here some results.

A possible implementation may include:
https://www.djangoproject.com/ as the web framework
https://www.rapidsms.org/about/ as an sms service plugin to django
then use http://www.kannel.org/ as a RapidSMS Backend
That way your system may be transported anywhere. The best option is to physically locate your backend at the targeting country. But you need someone to go to that country and install it.

In case you dont want to use a custom Backend and you want to pay an online WAP gateway, then you may try this one https://www.tropo.com/pricing/
Even cheaper, chose a local WAP gateway located at the targeting country.

Last edited:
Back