• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

How to make the darkcoin wallet for linux

Propulsion

The buck stops here.
This is a guide aimed to show you how to make a darkcoin wallet. (for linux) Very easy stuff indeed. The system I am going to use is Xubuntu 13.1. It is a Debian/Ubuntu based system. This is a clean install.

Step 1.) Open terminal type in
Code:
cd Downloads
Then type in
Code:
sudo apt-get install git
It should prompt you with "Do you want to continue [Y/n]?" type yes then enter. Here's what we've done so far.

Step 1.PNG

Step 2.) Now we will download the wallet source. (Only download the source from this address!)
Code:
git clone git://github.com/darkcoinproject/darkcoin
After that is finished, there should be a directory titled "darkcoin." Finally we will open the directory with all the documentation inside.
Code:
cd darkcoin
ls
thunar doc

Step 2.PNG

Step 3.) Here is where it can get tricky. Now we need to install all the dependencies before compiling the wallet. You can find a list of everything you need in the doc folder titled readme-qt.rst Open readme-qt.rst Scroll down to where it says "for Ubuntu >= 12.04 (please read the 'Berkely DB versoin warning' below):" These are the dependencies needed to compile the wallet. To make it easier for you, just copy and paste the code into your terminal below.
Code:
sudo apt-get install qt4-qmake libqt4-dev build-essential libboost-dev libboost-system-dev libboost-filesystem-dev libboost-program-options-dev libboost-thread-dev libssl-dev libdb++-dev libminiupnpc-dev
You should get the same prompt as before with roughly 295 MB of additional disk space will be used message. Type in yes & enter.

Step 3.PNG

Step 4.) Depending on your internet connection the above is going to take some time. (Just wait for this step) Now your ready to start compiling the wallet. Once again in terminal type in
Code:
qmake
Your going to receive a message saying "Removed plural forms as the target language has less forms. If this sounds wrong, possibly the target language is not recognized." Ignore it. Type in
Code:
sudo make
This is going to take some time, and I mean 15-30 minutes time so sit back and relax. Here is a picture of the progress.

Step 4.PNG

Step 5.) Assuming all goes well type in
Code:
ls
and you should see a program there named darkcoin-qt. To launch it type in
Code:
./darkcoin-qt
You will see a splash screen and the wallet initialize. Give it some time to sync with the network. After that finishes, encrypt your wallet with a passphrase. Click Settings >> Encrypt Wallet Make it a good one using 15 characters or more like so 87&tghBB%^521JN. Don't leave the passphrase on the computer.

Step 5.PNG

Step 6.PNG

Step 6.) Restart the wallet. In terminal press the up key and then enter. You should now be ready to go with a green check mark and lock symbol in the bottom right hand corner. Here is the final picture.

Step 7.PNG

That's it! Questions/Concerns/Thanks leave below.

Thanks, I'm sure that'll be really helpful to a lot of people! I personally prefer to use package manager to install my dependencies - helps to visualize what depends on what, and it's probably easier for the Linux newb. I'd never heard of Archlinux - is that a relatively new distribution?

Thanks, I'm sure that'll be really helpful to a lot of people! I personally prefer to use package manager to install my dependencies - helps to visualize what depends on what, and it's probably easier for the Linux newb. I'd never heard of Archlinux - is that a relatively new distribution?
ArchLinux was initially released 12 years ago (3 years before Ubuntu was) and in my eyes the best distirbution next to Gentoo.

ArchLinux was initially released 12 years ago (3 years before Ubuntu was) and in my eyes the best distirbution next to Gentoo.

Hah, shows what I know. What do you like about those particular distributions? I've been using Mint because I don't like the feel of Ubuntu. I tried FreeBSD at one point but felt it was a bit over my head - too much having to compile every little application from source.

Ubuntu is pushing 2 releases per year, its a constant upgrade mess.
Same applies to Debian, they just got a more relaxed release schedule.
Mint is basicly Ubuntu or Debian with broken dependencies (a mess), but I like the Mate desktop.

Archlinux is a rolling release, you get latest software straight from the repositories without the need to do a full system upgrade once in a while.
Archlinux offers multiple layers of repositories which can be switched on and off. Core, Extras, Community and finally the AUR (Arch User Repository) where everyone can create packages for. That's why there is darkcoin available in AUR. It's plain awesome, using Arch on all of my machines (including the Raspberry Pi).

Ubuntu is pushing 2 releases per year, its a constant upgrade mess.
Same applies to Debian, they just got a more relaxed release schedule.
Mint is basicly Ubuntu or Debian with broken dependencies (a mess), but I like the Mate desktop.

Archlinux is a rolling release, you get latest software straight from the repositories without the need to do a full system upgrade once in a while.
Archlinux offers multiple layers of repositories which can be switched on and off. Core, Extras, Community and finally the AUR (Arch User Repository) where everyone can create packages for. That's why there is darkcoin available in AUR. It's plain awesome, using Arch on all of my machines (including the Raspberry Pi).

Sounds awesome! I'll definitely try it out. Anything that gets me out of having to do full system upgrades is worth a try, especially if the repositories are kept up to date.

Thank you so much for writing this guide. I'm coming closer (I believe) but have gone wrong somewhere. Here is my output from the console after sudo make:

Code:
cd /home/alexander/darkcoin-master/src/leveldb && CC=gcc CXX=g++ make OPT="-m64 -pipe -fstack-protector-all -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -O2" libleveldb.a libmemenv.a
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/alexander/darkcoin-master/src/leveldb'
make[1]: `libleveldb.a' is up to date.
make[1]: `libmemenv.a' is up to date.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/alexander/darkcoin-master/src/leveldb'
cd /home/alexander/darkcoin-master; /bin/sh share/genbuild.sh /home/alexander/darkcoin-master/build/build.h
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
/usr/bin/uic-qt4 src/qt/forms/sendcoinsdialog.ui -o build/ui_sendcoinsdialog.h
/usr/bin/uic-qt4 src/qt/forms/coincontroldialog.ui -o build/ui_coincontroldialog.h
/usr/bin/uic-qt4 src/qt/forms/addressbookpage.ui -o build/ui_addressbookpage.h
/usr/bin/uic-qt4 src/qt/forms/signverifymessagedialog.ui -o build/ui_signverifymessagedialog.h
/usr/bin/uic-qt4 src/qt/forms/aboutdialog.ui -o build/ui_aboutdialog.h
/usr/bin/uic-qt4 src/qt/forms/editaddressdialog.ui -o build/ui_editaddressdialog.h
/usr/bin/uic-qt4 src/qt/forms/transactiondescdialog.ui -o build/ui_transactiondescdialog.h
/usr/bin/uic-qt4 src/qt/forms/overviewpage.ui -o build/ui_overviewpage.h
/usr/bin/uic-qt4 src/qt/forms/sendcoinsentry.ui -o build/ui_sendcoinsentry.h
/usr/bin/uic-qt4 src/qt/forms/askpassphrasedialog.ui -o build/ui_askpassphrasedialog.h
/usr/bin/uic-qt4 src/qt/forms/rpcconsole.ui -o build/ui_rpcconsole.h
/usr/bin/uic-qt4 src/qt/forms/optionsdialog.ui -o build/ui_optionsdialog.h
g++ -c -m64 -pipe -fstack-protector-all -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -O2 -D_REENTRANT -fdiagnostics-show-option -Wall -Wextra -Wformat -Wformat-security -Wno-unused-parameter -Wstack-protector -DQT_WEBKIT -DQT_GUI -DBOOST_THREAD_USE_LIB -DBOOST_SPIRIT_THREADSAFE -DUSE_UPNP=1 -DSTATICLIB -DUSE_IPV6=1 -DHAVE_BUILD_INFO -DLINUX -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++-64 -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtNetwork -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4 -Isrc -Isrc/json -Isrc/qt -Isrc/leveldb/include -Isrc/leveldb/helpers -Ibuild -Ibuild -o build/bitcoin.o src/qt/bitcoin.cpp
In file included from src/walletdb.h:8:0,
  from src/wallet.h:19,
  from src/init.h:8,
  from src/qt/bitcoin.cpp:13:
src/db.h:14:20: fatal error: db_cxx.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [build/bitcoin.o] Error 1

I think I have all dependencies solved as well as git installed. Any help is much appreciated.

Your missing db_cxx.h So do the following.
Code:
sudo apt-get install libdb++-dev

To actually use a masternode though, you'll have to download the precompiled versions.

Is this guide still valid for RC2?

I've used the code in github.com/darlcoinproject/darkcoin instead of in github.com/evan82/darkcoin because I thought it was the most up to date and in evan82 I was asked for a github password, but my wallet is stuck at block 45993.

Thank you. :) Let it be known that there is no link to the linux qt binary on the website, only a link to the source-code.
http://www.darkcoin.io/getstarted.html

Edit: The Binary acts as if executing but no GUI comes up. This is on a x64 Debian Wheezy box. Any possible solutions?

I dont get it vertoe. If Archlinux is so much better, how come 99.9% of services offer Ubuntu?

I dont get it vertoe. If Archlinux is so much better, how come 99.9% of services offer Ubuntu?
Not getting your question, yidakee. Which service offers Ubuntu? Besides that, I prefer Debian for servers and Gentoo for desktops.

Ouch. How do we go about getting a bounty for multiple distro binaries?
Only evan can compile the binaries as the code is not published yet. I guess we have to live with Ubuntu-only binaries for now until the source code will be published.

Back