Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

How to make the darkcoin wallet for linux

Discussion in 'Daemon and QT Wallet Guides' started by Propulsion, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Propulsion

Propulsion The buck stops here.

Dash Address:
    XerHCGryyfZttUc6mnuRY3FNJzU1Jm9u5L
    This is a guide aimed to show you how to make a darkcoin wallet. (for linux) Very easy stuff indeed. The system I am going to use is Xubuntu 13.1. It is a Debian/Ubuntu based system. This is a clean install.

Step 1.) Open terminal type in
    Code:
    cd Downloads
    Then type in
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install git
    It should prompt you with "Do you want to continue [Y/n]?" type yes then enter. Here's what we've done so far.

Step 1.PNG

Step 2.) Now we will download the wallet source. (Only download the source from this address!)
    Code:
    git clone git://github.com/darkcoinproject/darkcoin
    After that is finished, there should be a directory titled "darkcoin." Finally we will open the directory with all the documentation inside.
    Code:
    cd darkcoin
    ls
    thunar doc
    Step 2.PNG

Step 3.) Here is where it can get tricky. Now we need to install all the dependencies before compiling the wallet. You can find a list of everything you need in the doc folder titled readme-qt.rst Open readme-qt.rst Scroll down to where it says "for Ubuntu >= 12.04 (please read the 'Berkely DB versoin warning' below):" These are the dependencies needed to compile the wallet. To make it easier for you, just copy and paste the code into your terminal below.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install qt4-qmake libqt4-dev build-essential libboost-dev libboost-system-dev libboost-filesystem-dev libboost-program-options-dev libboost-thread-dev libssl-dev libdb++-dev libminiupnpc-dev
    You should get the same prompt as before with roughly 295 MB of additional disk space will be used message. Type in yes & enter.

Step 3.PNG

Step 4.) Depending on your internet connection the above is going to take some time. (Just wait for this step) Now your ready to start compiling the wallet. Once again in terminal type in
    Code:
    qmake
    Your going to receive a message saying "Removed plural forms as the target language has less forms. If this sounds wrong, possibly the target language is not recognized." Ignore it. Type in
    Code:
    sudo make
    This is going to take some time, and I mean 15-30 minutes time so sit back and relax. Here is a picture of the progress.

Step 4.PNG

Step 5.) Assuming all goes well type in
    Code:
    ls
    and you should see a program there named darkcoin-qt. To launch it type in
    Code:
    ./darkcoin-qt
    You will see a splash screen and the wallet initialize. Give it some time to sync with the network. After that finishes, encrypt your wallet with a passphrase. Click Settings >> Encrypt Wallet Make it a good one using 15 characters or more like so 87&tghBB%^521JN. Don't leave the passphrase on the computer.

Step 5.PNG

Step 6.PNG
    Step 6.) Restart the wallet. In terminal press the up key and then enter. You should now be ready to go with a green check mark and lock symbol in the bottom right hand corner. Here is the final picture.

Step 7.PNG

That's it! Questions/Concerns/Thanks leave below.

• Like Like x 2
  2. vertoe

vertoe Three of Nine

3. Propulsion

Dash Address:
  4. Lzeppelin

Lzeppelin Member

5. LazarusLong10

LazarusLong10 New Member

Thanks, I'm sure that'll be really helpful to a lot of people! I personally prefer to use package manager to install my dependencies - helps to visualize what depends on what, and it's probably easier for the Linux newb. I'd never heard of Archlinux - is that a relatively new distribution?

6. vertoe

vertoe Three of Nine

ArchLinux was initially released 12 years ago (3 years before Ubuntu was) and in my eyes the best distirbution next to Gentoo.

7. LazarusLong10

LazarusLong10 New Member

Hah, shows what I know. What do you like about those particular distributions? I've been using Mint because I don't like the feel of Ubuntu. I tried FreeBSD at one point but felt it was a bit over my head - too much having to compile every little application from source.

8. vertoe

vertoe Three of Nine

Ubuntu is pushing 2 releases per year, its a constant upgrade mess.
    Same applies to Debian, they just got a more relaxed release schedule.
    Mint is basicly Ubuntu or Debian with broken dependencies (a mess), but I like the Mate desktop.

Archlinux is a rolling release, you get latest software straight from the repositories without the need to do a full system upgrade once in a while.
    Archlinux offers multiple layers of repositories which can be switched on and off. Core, Extras, Community and finally the AUR (Arch User Repository) where everyone can create packages for. That's why there is darkcoin available in AUR. It's plain awesome, using Arch on all of my machines (including the Raspberry Pi).

• Like Like x 1
  9. LazarusLong10

LazarusLong10 New Member

Sounds awesome! I'll definitely try it out. Anything that gets me out of having to do full system upgrades is worth a try, especially if the repositories are kept up to date.

10. ▲ λ έ ξ α ν δ ρ ο ς

Thank you so much for writing this guide. I'm coming closer (I believe) but have gone wrong somewhere. Here is my output from the console after sudo make:

Code:
    cd /home/alexander/darkcoin-master/src/leveldb && CC=gcc CXX=g++ make OPT="-m64 -pipe -fstack-protector-all -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -O2" libleveldb.a libmemenv.a
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/alexander/darkcoin-master/src/leveldb'
    make[1]: `libleveldb.a' is up to date.
    make[1]: `libmemenv.a' is up to date.
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/alexander/darkcoin-master/src/leveldb'
    cd /home/alexander/darkcoin-master; /bin/sh share/genbuild.sh /home/alexander/darkcoin-master/build/build.h
    fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
    /usr/bin/uic-qt4 src/qt/forms/sendcoinsdialog.ui -o build/ui_sendcoinsdialog.h
    /usr/bin/uic-qt4 src/qt/forms/coincontroldialog.ui -o build/ui_coincontroldialog.h
    /usr/bin/uic-qt4 src/qt/forms/addressbookpage.ui -o build/ui_addressbookpage.h
    /usr/bin/uic-qt4 src/qt/forms/signverifymessagedialog.ui -o build/ui_signverifymessagedialog.h
    /usr/bin/uic-qt4 src/qt/forms/aboutdialog.ui -o build/ui_aboutdialog.h
    /usr/bin/uic-qt4 src/qt/forms/editaddressdialog.ui -o build/ui_editaddressdialog.h
    /usr/bin/uic-qt4 src/qt/forms/transactiondescdialog.ui -o build/ui_transactiondescdialog.h
    /usr/bin/uic-qt4 src/qt/forms/overviewpage.ui -o build/ui_overviewpage.h
    /usr/bin/uic-qt4 src/qt/forms/sendcoinsentry.ui -o build/ui_sendcoinsentry.h
    /usr/bin/uic-qt4 src/qt/forms/askpassphrasedialog.ui -o build/ui_askpassphrasedialog.h
    /usr/bin/uic-qt4 src/qt/forms/rpcconsole.ui -o build/ui_rpcconsole.h
    /usr/bin/uic-qt4 src/qt/forms/optionsdialog.ui -o build/ui_optionsdialog.h
    g++ -c -m64 -pipe -fstack-protector-all -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -O2 -D_REENTRANT -fdiagnostics-show-option -Wall -Wextra -Wformat -Wformat-security -Wno-unused-parameter -Wstack-protector -DQT_WEBKIT -DQT_GUI -DBOOST_THREAD_USE_LIB -DBOOST_SPIRIT_THREADSAFE -DUSE_UPNP=1 -DSTATICLIB -DUSE_IPV6=1 -DHAVE_BUILD_INFO -DLINUX -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++-64 -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtNetwork -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4 -Isrc -Isrc/json -Isrc/qt -Isrc/leveldb/include -Isrc/leveldb/helpers -Ibuild -Ibuild -o build/bitcoin.o src/qt/bitcoin.cpp
    In file included from src/walletdb.h:8:0,
      from src/wallet.h:19,
      from src/init.h:8,
      from src/qt/bitcoin.cpp:13:
    src/db.h:14:20: fatal error: db_cxx.h: No such file or directory
    compilation terminated.
    make: *** [build/bitcoin.o] Error 1

I think I have all dependencies solved as well as git installed. Any help is much appreciated.

11. Propulsion

Dash Address:
    Your missing db_cxx.h So do the following.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libdb++-dev
    To actually use a masternode though, you'll have to download the precompiled versions.

12. ▲ λ έ ξ α ν δ ρ ο ς

Got it compiled :) Now trying to work out the "no block source available" problem.

13. fernando

fernando Powered by Dash
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member Moderator

Is this guide still valid for RC2?

I've used the code in github.com/darlcoinproject/darkcoin instead of in github.com/evan82/darkcoin because I thought it was the most up to date and in evan82 I was asked for a github password, but my wallet is stuck at block 45993.

14. ▲ λ έ ξ α ν δ ρ ο ς

"To actually use a masternode though, you'll have to download the precompiled versions."

So there will be a precompiled version for linux in the future?

15. Propulsion

Dash Address:
  16. ▲ λ έ ξ α ν δ ρ ο ς

Thank you. :) Let it be known that there is no link to the linux qt binary on the website, only a link to the source-code.
    http://www.darkcoin.io/getstarted.html

Edit: The Binary acts as if executing but no GUI comes up. This is on a x64 Debian Wheezy box. Any possible solutions?

17. vertoe

vertoe Three of Nine

Welcome to my world. The binaries only work on Ubuntu machines.

That's the reason why my infamous pool q30.qhor.net will be offline after hardfork unfortunately. It's running Debian.

18. yidakee

yidakee Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

I dont get it vertoe. If Archlinux is so much better, how come 99.9% of services offer Ubuntu?

19. ▲ λ έ ξ α ν δ ρ ο ς

Ouch. How do we go about getting a bounty for multiple distro binaries?

20. vertoe

vertoe Three of Nine

Not getting your question, yidakee. Which service offers Ubuntu? Besides that, I prefer Debian for servers and Gentoo for desktops.

Only evan can compile the binaries as the code is not published yet. I guess we have to live with Ubuntu-only binaries for now until the source code will be published.

21. yidakee

yidakee Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

anyone mind doing a quick how to to get linux GUI going?

22. vertoe

vertoe Three of Nine

Code:
    git clone https://github.com/darkcoinproject/darkcoin/
    cd darkcoin/
    qmake-qt4 USE_QRCODE=1 USE_UPNP=1 bitcoin-qt.pro
    make -j8

23. daddeo

daddeo New Member

I get the exact same thing. I too used github.com/darlcoinproject/darkcoin instead. Could that be an issue? Also I'm using Mint 13 32bit OS.

24. fernando

fernando Powered by Dash
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member Moderator

I haven't looked more into it for lack of time, but I don't think so. I bet it is just an old version we are using. There has been a few recent updates and maybe a link somewhere is not updated. Yesterday I read a few messages in bitcointalk about the link in darkcoin.io to the Mac wallet being outdated with the fork scheduled for today, so the devs must be having a few rough days.

25. Propulsion

Dash Address:
    • Like Like x 1
  26. ▲ λ έ ξ α ν δ ρ ο ς

To clarify, if you compile the latest code from source you will be on the correct chain and can send and receive payments. However you will not be able to participate in the mastenode process. Correct?

27. Lzeppelin

Lzeppelin Member

Yes. Also no darksend.

28. ▲ λ έ ξ α ν δ ρ ο ς

le sigh.

Switched over to ubuntu 14.04 and when I attempt to execute the binary I receive "
    There is no application installed for “executable” files.
    Do you want to search for an application to open this file?"

I'm starting to think that I'm not meant to use DRK :(

29. just_mike

just_mike Member

Which executable? darkcoind or darkcoin-qt? Did you change permissions? I use 750. Got all required libraries installed?

30. Lzeppelin

Lzeppelin Member

You just need to set it to executable do a:
    Code:
    sudo chmod a+x $myexecutable