• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Core Team Contractor Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome! Now, not only will any proposal not prescribed by The King and His Men be trolled hard and misinformation spread; the proposers will be sued!

Does the situation get any more clear?

I'm happy to let you have your way. All projects cancelled. Pork on! No sane person would get involved with this mess.

They feel so threatened by the idea of someone else possibly winning non prescribed proposals and touching their piggy bank that they will actually sue over it!

Of course, such lawsuit has no merit. Its just stalling and wasting money.

I have better things to do.

Last edited:
Pregnancy leave ?
rc
That would be a stretch for a contractor... maybe if we moved to an employee model in the future (I think we would have to for employees under the law if someone is officially an employee and drawing a salary in many countries). For now, pretty much everyone is working for far less than they could earn elsewhere, so I would think we'd introduce competitive pay before starting to offer paid leave.

OK, is this going to include health insurance, dental, and vision? Does anyone else think 4 weeks of paid time off is crazy? Most jobs you work your butt of and get 1 week, maybe 2 weeks your second year.

We shouldn't be copying a broken corporate benefit structure that pays people based on hours sitting in a cube. Just pay people when they work for doing work, no paid time off. Working from home is benefit enough.

Spending time reading or commenting on forums, reddit, and bitcointalk is not coding. Certain exceptions for updates and questions are OK. Working is also not making excuses for proposals that are not going well. State the facts, fix the problems, and get it done.
20 days off a year, when you include holidays and sick time, is very minimal. Here in the US, for example, you would normally get two weeks off, PLUS the normal holidays like Memorial Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving (and usually the day after), Christmas, New Years, President's Day, sometimes Good Friday, Martin Luther King Day, and Independence Day, so there's 20 days with just two weeks "vacation". We just think that each country and religion is likely to take different holidays, but were aiming for a consistent number including those days.

In Europe, 4 weeks of vacation is pretty standard excluding national holidays, so 20 days total including vacation and sick leave would be considered pretty sparse there.

We simply want to set some limits to avoid "salaried" roles taking an excessive number of days away from the work they are being paid to do.

We want to attract GOOD people. And good people most certainly have a good job. A job in which they don't lose money when they are sick for a couple of days. Remember we're talking about full time jobs, not part time.

I agree that we shouldn't copy a broken corporate benefit structure, but we shouldn't copy a broken social system (aka US-system) either.
So you are in favor of more allowed days off for sick purposes?

The idea was, let people take the days for whatever they need / want them for... avoids the situation where contractors claim to be unavailable because they are "sick" whilst going Christmas shopping for the day.

Where is core team job descriptions? JOb application forms? I think those come before PTO right?

I mean just saying.... if were doing it like AMazon/Apple/Microsoft/ETC we should do it in the proper order now?

;):cool::D:rolleyes:

We are far from being Amazon/Apple/Microsoft/ETC - we are an open source project.
Therefore people are wearing different hats and doing whatever necessary to develop the project - no description will help with this. When descriptions will be required, we will define it.
The rules presented by Ryan are to avoid conflict of interest and make everyone aware of some basic rules of cooperation and delivery.

Actually ... DELETED

Seeing the comments on some of the other threads, complaining about people taking holidays, I just dont want to get involved in this discussion. There are some very toxic people on these forums and I just dont need to deal with it. Good luck guys, you have my support, rather you than me.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to contradict any good intentions to put some reasonable limits but imo you can only require "2) Full-time role availability" and all that "sick", "holidays" etc corporation-like limits when you start to pay corporation-like salary and not only "token of appreciation for open source project volunteering" as it is now. Until then we should apply "full-time" requirement proportionally to that "token" to get someone seriously working for us imo. Being member of Core Team doesn't magically solve simple real world needs.

Side note: actually, this "title" doesn't give any additional benefits (as one might think) - it only brings additional limitations (rules like these), more responsibility (managing all these accounts with admin/moderator access to several critical resources like forum or github or media) and sometimes even another vector of personal attack ("Ah, Evil Core member!") ;)

Rules 1, 3, 4 make sense imo.

Question about the full-time role availability -- with those PTO limits, are core team members expected to be working full 8 hour days? With everyone being scattered all over, how can you tell whether someone is putting in the appropriate amount of time or days? Are members paid based on the time they put in, or based on the substance of what they contribute to the project? I can imagine the pay can be a difficult thing to manage effectively and fairly for a team like this.

Also, if you wouldn't mind sharing please -- what is the process for making decisions regarding core salary distribution, or adding/removing core team members? Do you take votes, or do you have some kind of internal governance structure?

Thx

I'm not trying to contradict any good intentions to put some reasonable limits but imo you can only require "2) Full-time role availability" and all that "sick", "holidays" etc corporation-like limits when you start to pay corporation-like salary and not only "token of appreciation for open source project volunteering" as it is now. Until then we should apply "full-time" requirement proportionally to that "token" to get someone seriously working for us imo. Being member of Core Team doesn't magically solve simple real world needs.

Side note: actually, this "title" doesn't give any additional benefits (as one might think) - it only brings additional limitations (rules like these), more responsibility (managing all these accounts with admin/moderator access to several critical resources like forum or github or media) and sometimes even another vector of personal attack ("Ah, Evil Core member!") ;)

Rules 1, 3, 4 make sense imo.

So you sir are a fan of individual blockchain contracts per individual instead of teams w/ rules? That is smarter I think!

Maybe everyone should just apply to the MNO's for a job, say what they require as a contractor and what they will provide as skills & service and then everyone is happy then... contractor & MNO enter into a deal that is fair per individual/proposal.;);)

Question: When was a decision made to pay "dash contractors" salaries instead of per contract amounts? Wouldn't per project or tallied amounts be better bcuz you can look at the time allocations per projects and see how much it cost and all that?

Is core team contractors, or employees?

Should probably change wording in #3 to avoid confusion
3) MIT Licence: All code developed while working on Dash core team will be released under the MIT license unless otherwise specified (e.g., if we provide support for a business partner's own systems for example).

The people that work 6-7 days a week and get paid by the hour or by the job are the best workers.
But, usually because they've made bad choices in life and are buried in debt. They have to work like ni-, er, slaves, just to survive their monthly payments. You don't want people like that in charge of anything.

But, usually because they've made bad choices in life and are buried in debt. They have to work like ni-, er, slaves, just to survive their monthly payments. You don't want people like that in charge of anything.

I was more making the point of the 9-5 slave at a big corp is often not motivated to actually do anything except sit at a desk and make fancy reports for management. Giving someone the carrot of vacation before they even know the job, is just inviting people that want vacation.

Focus on the job description....then consider what each candidate needs for compensation/time off to fulfill the position. I would rather pay people when they work, and not pay them if they take time off. This motivates faster development.

We are not a huge corporate entity that has figured out if they give people 2 weeks off each year they don't have as many health or mental problems to pay for because of forcing someone to stay in a chair and stare at a screen for 8hrs/day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back