• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Core Team Contractor Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Taylor

Foundation Member
EDIT: THIS INFORMATION IS OUTDATED AND DOESN'T REFLECT CURRENT POLICIES OF DASH CORE GROUP INC., PLEASE CONTACT THE HR DEPARTMENT FOR ACCURATE POLICY INFORMATION.

In order to prevent any abuse or perceived abuse of the budget system, we wanted to post a few basic "rules" for any contractors that wish to provide services through the core team. We intend for these to provide basic guidance on the expectations involved, but they are not intended to be a holistic set of the expectations when contracting through the core team. We will continue to add, revise, and clarify this post as the need arises.

The goals in sharing these rules is both to provide the community with assurances that such rules are in place (thus protecting the interests of the network), and to provide prospective contractors an idea of some of the basic restrictions and expectations that would accompany any core team role.

1) Conflicting roles: Contractors may seek a role within the core team, or submit their own budget proposals to the network, but should avoid doing both. This creates a conflict of interest when considering incremental projects may take time away from core team responsibilities. If an independent budget proposal is submitted and funded, a paid role through the core team may require temporary or permanent suspension depending on the nature and duration of the proposal in question.

2) Full-time role availability:
Some roles require and are paid for full-time work. While it is unreasonable that a contractor working full-time would never require time off, there must be limits. Also, holidays differ between countries, religions, etc. For this reason, we are setting the expectation that contractors may take up to 20 personal days per year including national and religious holidays, vacations, personal time, sick time, doctor visits, etc. pro-rated for the length of their engagement. Any additional time may result in a reduction in compensation.

3) MIT Licence: All code developed while working on Dash will be released under the MIT license unless otherwise specified (e.g., if we provide support for a business partner's own systems for example).

4) Confidential information: To the extent that contractors are exposed to confidential information, they should not disclose it without permission, including the identities of individuals who wish to remain anonymous, personal addresses and phone numbers, yet-undisclosed partnerships or integrations, and the private business plans of other businesses to which their roles expose them.

There are other expectations as well, which will be clarified prior to entering into any agreement. These include many details including responsibilities for keeping payment addresses used for compensation up to date, expectations for professional behavior, terms of the contract, etc. These are either part of the specific terms of any contract offered, or are details included in a handbook which will be provided upon contracting through the core team.

If you have any feedback or suggestions to supplement or change these rules, please let us know.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, is this going to include health insurance, dental, and vision? Does anyone else think 4 weeks of paid time off is crazy? Most jobs you work your butt of and get 1 week, maybe 2 weeks your second year.

We shouldn't be copying a broken corporate benefit structure that pays people based on hours sitting in a cube. Just pay people when they work for doing work, no paid time off. Working from home is benefit enough.

Spending time reading or commenting on forums, reddit, and bitcointalk is not coding. Certain exceptions for updates and questions are OK. Working is also not making excuses for proposals that are not going well. State the facts, fix the problems, and get it done.

OK, is this going to include health insurance, dental, and vision? Does anyone else think 4 weeks of paid time off is crazy? Most jobs you work your butt of and get 1 week, maybe 2 weeks your second year.

We shouldn't be copying a broken corporate benefit structure that pays people based on hours sitting in a cube. Just pay people when they work for doing work, no paid time off. Working from home is benefit enough.

Spending time reading or commenting on forums, reddit, and bitcointalk is not coding. Certain exceptions for updates and questions are OK. Working is also not making excuses for proposals that are not going well. State the facts, fix the problems, and get it done.

What man you don't want Dash to be the next Apple? Why not? Apple is best company ever! Where can I get a Dash job? How much is the pay?

edit: oh and Google has a big cafeteria, can Dash have one too?

1) Conflicting roles: Contractors may seek a role within the core team, or submit their own budget proposals to the network, but should avoid doing both. This creates a conflict of interest when considering incremental projects may take time away from core team responsibilities. If an independent budget proposal is submitted and funded, a paid role through the core team may require temporary or permanent suspension depending on the nature and duration of the proposal in question.

This seems difficult to manage, couldn't I just hire my friend instead? Noone would be the wiser, all I would need to do is slap a company name on the project and wala...

:rolleyes:

We shouldn't be copying a broken corporate benefit structure that pays people based on hours sitting in a cube.

We want to attract GOOD people. And good people most certainly have a good job. A job in which they don't lose money when they are sick for a couple of days. Remember we're talking about full time jobs, not part time.

I agree that we shouldn't copy a broken corporate benefit structure, but we shouldn't copy a broken social system (aka US-system) either.

Last edited:
We want to attract GOOD people. And good people most certainly have a good job. A job in which they don't lose money when they are sick for a couple of days. Remember we're talking about full time jobs, not part time.

I agree that we shouldn't copy a broken corporate benefit structure, but we shouldn't copy a broken social system (aka US-system) either.

Who's all on the team now? How much does everyone get paid? How large is the team?

Actually, the people that have jobs with too much vacation, hardly work at all. The people that work 6-7 days a week and get paid by the hour or by the job are the best workers.

Pay an appropriate salary. If they need time off, don't pay them for the time they took off. Simple. If we mandate that everyone not work 1 month then we are guaranteed for development to take that much longer.

hehe... well I'd have to say it is not 100% transparent
And I'm quite sure there is no need for it to be so.

Why not though?

What if one person on the team doesn't do as much work as others and isn't "worth" that amount of money, not saying this is happening, but how would we ever KNOW if it did? Umbrella budgets are never a good idea, IMO.

Last edited:
Why not though?

What if one person on the team doesn't do as much work as others and is "worth" that amount of money, not saying this is happening, but how would we ever KNOW if it did? Umbrella budgets are never a good idea, IMO.

Oh, I am sure that from time to time, some core members could be considered to be overpaid, while at the same time others are definitely underpaid - and the team must sort this out among themselves. If you're thinking the community at large, or even the MNOs, should be deliberating on these quite specific details... well, that just doesn't seem practical.

Oh, I am sure that from time to time, some core members could be considered to be overpaid, while at the same time others are definitely underpaid - and the team must sort this out among themselves. If you're thinking the community at large, or even the MNOs, should be deliberating on these quite specific details... well, that just doesn't seem practical.

This makes almost no sense from a common sense perspective, why would anyone ever set up a payment plan in this fashion? It sounds like its literally praying for bloat...

If I wanted to work for the Dash network, I would submit a proposal about just myself. Tell the network what I will be doing, then request some money for said services.

Adding a whole bunch of people to my group does nothing to improve this process...

If I wanted to work for the Dash network, I would submit a proposal about just myself. Tell the network what I will be doing, then request some money for said services.

Adding a whole bunch of people to my group does nothing to improve this process...
I suppose that would depend on your individual abilities, and the nature of your project...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back