Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

Core Team Contractor Rules

Discussion in 'Dash Jobs' started by Ryan Taylor, Sep 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan Taylor

Ryan Taylor Well-known Member
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member

EDIT: THIS INFORMATION IS OUTDATED AND DOESN'T REFLECT CURRENT POLICIES OF DASH CORE GROUP INC., PLEASE CONTACT THE HR DEPARTMENT FOR ACCURATE POLICY INFORMATION.

In order to prevent any abuse or perceived abuse of the budget system, we wanted to post a few basic "rules" for any contractors that wish to provide services through the core team. We intend for these to provide basic guidance on the expectations involved, but they are not intended to be a holistic set of the expectations when contracting through the core team. We will continue to add, revise, and clarify this post as the need arises.

The goals in sharing these rules is both to provide the community with assurances that such rules are in place (thus protecting the interests of the network), and to provide prospective contractors an idea of some of the basic restrictions and expectations that would accompany any core team role.

1) Conflicting roles: Contractors may seek a role within the core team, or submit their own budget proposals to the network, but should avoid doing both. This creates a conflict of interest when considering incremental projects may take time away from core team responsibilities. If an independent budget proposal is submitted and funded, a paid role through the core team may require temporary or permanent suspension depending on the nature and duration of the proposal in question.

2) Full-time role availability:
    Some roles require and are paid for full-time work. While it is unreasonable that a contractor working full-time would never require time off, there must be limits. Also, holidays differ between countries, religions, etc. For this reason, we are setting the expectation that contractors may take up to 20 personal days per year including national and religious holidays, vacations, personal time, sick time, doctor visits, etc. pro-rated for the length of their engagement. Any additional time may result in a reduction in compensation.

3) MIT Licence: All code developed while working on Dash will be released under the MIT license unless otherwise specified (e.g., if we provide support for a business partner's own systems for example).

4) Confidential information: To the extent that contractors are exposed to confidential information, they should not disclose it without permission, including the identities of individuals who wish to remain anonymous, personal addresses and phone numbers, yet-undisclosed partnerships or integrations, and the private business plans of other businesses to which their roles expose them.

There are other expectations as well, which will be clarified prior to entering into any agreement. These include many details including responsibilities for keeping payment addresses used for compensation up to date, expectations for professional behavior, terms of the contract, etc. These are either part of the specific terms of any contract offered, or are details included in a handbook which will be provided upon contracting through the core team.

If you have any feedback or suggestions to supplement or change these rules, please let us know.

#1 Ryan Taylor, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 8
  2. crowning

crowning Well-known Member

I think 2) should exclude sick time when it's within reasonable limits.

• Like Like x 2
  3. rustycase

rustycase Active Member

Pregnancy leave ?
    rc

4. Solarminer

Solarminer Well-known Member

OK, is this going to include health insurance, dental, and vision? Does anyone else think 4 weeks of paid time off is crazy? Most jobs you work your butt of and get 1 week, maybe 2 weeks your second year.

We shouldn't be copying a broken corporate benefit structure that pays people based on hours sitting in a cube. Just pay people when they work for doing work, no paid time off. Working from home is benefit enough.

Spending time reading or commenting on forums, reddit, and bitcointalk is not coding. Certain exceptions for updates and questions are OK. Working is also not making excuses for proposals that are not going well. State the facts, fix the problems, and get it done.

• Like Like x 1
  5. FungibilityMan

What man you don't want Dash to be the next Apple? Why not? Apple is best company ever! Where can I get a Dash job? How much is the pay?

edit: oh and Google has a big cafeteria, can Dash have one too?

• Dumb Dumb x 2
  6. FungibilityMan

This seems difficult to manage, couldn't I just hire my friend instead? Noone would be the wiser, all I would need to do is slap a company name on the project and wala...

:rolleyes:

7. crowning

crowning Well-known Member

We want to attract GOOD people. And good people most certainly have a good job. A job in which they don't lose money when they are sick for a couple of days. Remember we're talking about full time jobs, not part time.

I agree that we shouldn't copy a broken corporate benefit structure, but we shouldn't copy a broken social system (aka US-system) either.

#7 crowning, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. FungibilityMan

Who's all on the team now? How much does everyone get paid? How large is the team?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Solarminer

Solarminer Well-known Member

Actually, the people that have jobs with too much vacation, hardly work at all. The people that work 6-7 days a week and get paid by the hour or by the job are the best workers.

Pay an appropriate salary. If they need time off, don't pay them for the time they took off. Simple. If we mandate that everyone not work 1 month then we are guaranteed for development to take that much longer.

• Like Like x 1
  10. bertlebbert

bertlebbert Active Member

The Team is listed here... as well as others recently adding contributions.
    Salary for DASH core team comes from budget proposal shown here.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. FungibilityMan

Thank you sir! You ar every helpful!!

12. FungibilityMan

• Like Like x 1
  13. bertlebbert

No, no... individual compensations are certainly not disclosed publicly.

14. FungibilityMan

WHAT??

How is this process transparent then?

15. bertlebbert

hehe... well I'd have to say it is not 100% transparent
    And I'm quite sure there is no need for it to be so.

• Like Like x 1
  16. FungibilityMan

Why not though?

What if one person on the team doesn't do as much work as others and isn't "worth" that amount of money, not saying this is happening, but how would we ever KNOW if it did? Umbrella budgets are never a good idea, IMO.

#16 FungibilityMan, Sep 4, 2016
  17. bertlebbert

Oh, I am sure that from time to time, some core members could be considered to be overpaid, while at the same time others are definitely underpaid - and the team must sort this out among themselves. If you're thinking the community at large, or even the MNOs, should be deliberating on these quite specific details... well, that just doesn't seem practical.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. FungibilityMan

This makes almost no sense from a common sense perspective, why would anyone ever set up a payment plan in this fashion? It sounds like its literally praying for bloat...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. FungibilityMan

If I wanted to work for the Dash network, I would submit a proposal about just myself. Tell the network what I will be doing, then request some money for said services.

Adding a whole bunch of people to my group does nothing to improve this process...

20. bertlebbert

I suppose that would depend on your individual abilities, and the nature of your project...

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. FungibilityMan

Does this apply to the core team as well? Or just 3rd parties?

22. camosoul

camosoul Well-known Member

Awesome! Now, not only will any proposal not prescribed by The King and His Men be trolled hard and misinformation spread; the proposers will be sued!

Does the situation get any more clear?

I'm happy to let you have your way. All projects cancelled. Pork on! No sane person would get involved with this mess.

They feel so threatened by the idea of someone else possibly winning non prescribed proposals and touching their piggy bank that they will actually sue over it!

Of course, such lawsuit has no merit. Its just stalling and wasting money.

I have better things to do.

#22 camosoul, Sep 4, 2016
    • Old Old x 1
  23. Ryan Taylor

That would be a stretch for a contractor... maybe if we moved to an employee model in the future (I think we would have to for employees under the law if someone is officially an employee and drawing a salary in many countries). For now, pretty much everyone is working for far less than they could earn elsewhere, so I would think we'd introduce competitive pay before starting to offer paid leave.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Ryan Taylor

20 days off a year, when you include holidays and sick time, is very minimal. Here in the US, for example, you would normally get two weeks off, PLUS the normal holidays like Memorial Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving (and usually the day after), Christmas, New Years, President's Day, sometimes Good Friday, Martin Luther King Day, and Independence Day, so there's 20 days with just two weeks "vacation". We just think that each country and religion is likely to take different holidays, but were aiming for a consistent number including those days.

In Europe, 4 weeks of vacation is pretty standard excluding national holidays, so 20 days total including vacation and sick leave would be considered pretty sparse there.

We simply want to set some limits to avoid "salaried" roles taking an excessive number of days away from the work they are being paid to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Ryan Taylor

So you are in favor of more allowed days off for sick purposes?

The idea was, let people take the days for whatever they need / want them for... avoids the situation where contractors claim to be unavailable because they are "sick" whilst going Christmas shopping for the day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. kot

kot Well-known Member

Dear All,
    Maybe just to emphasize two important things:
    1. These are the rules we want to apply internally for the core team members only
    2. Nothing is written in stone and we welcome every good suggestion on how change our rules of cooperation

• Like Like x 2
  27. FungibilityMan

Where is core team job descriptions? JOb application forms? I think those come before PTO right?

I mean just saying.... if were doing it like AMazon/Apple/Microsoft/ETC we should do it in the proper order now?

;):cool::D:rolleyes:

28. kot

kot Well-known Member

We are far from being Amazon/Apple/Microsoft/ETC - we are an open source project.
    Therefore people are wearing different hats and doing whatever necessary to develop the project - no description will help with this. When descriptions will be required, we will define it.
    The rules presented by Ryan are to avoid conflict of interest and make everyone aware of some basic rules of cooperation and delivery.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. Otaci

Otaci Member

Actually ... DELETED

Seeing the comments on some of the other threads, complaining about people taking holidays, I just dont want to get involved in this discussion. There are some very toxic people on these forums and I just dont need to deal with it. Good luck guys, you have my support, rather you than me.

#29 Otaci, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. amanda_b_johnson

amanda_b_johnson Well-known Member

@rustycase, "pregnancy leave" is RETARDED and hurts employment opportunities for women. It makes fewer people willing to hire us because they're afraid we'll become pregnant and demand a year off work with a bunch of perks and guarantees.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.