• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

COMPLETE MASTERNODE GUIDE (WINDOWS LOCAL + LINUX REMOTE @VULTR)

Followed this basically to the letter. Seems to work pretty well. Though it is hard to tell when nodes are running and when they are not but i suspect that will evolve. I have one running overnight with no issues.

One thing that I did a little differently than the walkthrough. Rather than using the -conf command line arg to load the custom config for the master. I actually made a copy of the entire data directory and am using a different batch file to "start" my local masternode wallet, vs my local personal wallet. I think the command line arg is -datadir or something similar. The whole set of binaries and data for the masternode files got pushed to a thumb drive and stashed.

One clarification. It seems that if I restart the remote masternode (for updates or whatever), then launching the remote darkcoind is not enough to "start" the remote master node again. I have to take my local wallet out of storage to issue the masternode start command again. Is that expected? Seems like that requires that the local wallets never really can go to "cold" storage if you want to keep your server up to date.

aaxx1503 not yet (maybe rc4 if i read evan's posts correctly).

Kong : Hmm. I managed to replicate problem you guys are describing.

It seems to me that i cannot activate more than 1 remote linux masternode from same local windows (IP).
Although I think, this should be possible, as the privkey of local wallet should play a vital role, and not windows pc's external public IP address.
So question to you and guys who have same problem - do you want to start many masternodes from same windows ip? (is the first one running ok? or did it in the past?)

If yes - as an quickfix, I suggest you to to vultr, setup a Windows instance, setup wallet there. Activate linux remote from this wallet (new vulter's ip). Once activated, do a wallet backup and transfer it to your home/safe storage and shutdown windows-vultr instance (as you dont need it anymore). Pain in the ass (for repeating), but for troubleshooting, and getting linux masternodes online (and they can run interrrupted for months...) ? ....

chaeplin flare do you guys have anything to comment on topic. Maybe a solution? I think i read some ip-privkey related topics before, but can't find them...

If privkey, masternodeaddr, and wallet.dat at local and privkey at remote are changed, there should be no problem.
If any mismatch happens, remote ip address would be banned by others. This cause a lot of headache.

My test experience in testnet would be help.
https://www.darkcointalk.org/threads/help-test-rc2-forking-issues.1009/page-44#post-8910

* headache ?
: stop both darkcoind.
: remove masternode=1
: move 1k to new address
: backup
: generate new masterprivkey
: change remote ip address
: change masterprivkey

If privkey, masternodeaddr, and wallet.dat at local and privkey at remote are changed, there should be no problem.
If any mismatch happens, remote ip address would be banned by others. This cause a lot of headache.

My test experience in testnet would be help.
https://www.darkcointalk.org/threads/help-test-rc2-forking-issues.1009/page-44#post-8910

* headache ?
: stop both darkcoind.
: remove masternode=1
: move 1k to new address
: backup
: generate new masterprivkey
: change remote ip address
: change masterprivkey

I did exactly that, bought new remote server at vultr, send the 1000 coins back to private wallet, set up the new server with the vultr guide, generated a new masternode genkey and 0 address on local windows system and copied it into the remote darkcoin.conf, sent 1000 coins to the new local wallet and started the masternode local. Said: masternode successfully started. But after i close the local wallet with command "stop", the masternode remote ip gets delisted from the masternode list.

I set up my masternode with windows cold storage - when I enter the "./darkcoind masternode list grep xxx.xxx.xxx command I see
"xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9999" : 1,
xxx being my VPS IP
but I don't see it on https://elbzo.net/masternodes.html yet, does it take a bit of time?
Although I DO see it when I enter "masternode list" in the cold storage windows wallet console.

Who's running this site anyways, its so awesome!
No clue, I like it though. Still trying to figure out if I can just shutdown my windows wallet, put the wallet file away, create a new one and redo the process for the rest of my masternodes. I'm always doing this shit last minute!!!

timeout for removal of misbehaving/dead masternode from list is 35 minutes... so check a bit later...

preliminary results (couldnt sleep :) ):
but "trick" with -datadir seems to help.... i did remove everything except wallet.dat on my windows machine and resynced client... and removed everything on linux side, and resynec again...
also i changed rpcpass/user on all sides.
also I noticed that i get faster network sync/stability if i specify not just one nore (addnode) but several (i picked random ips from list)...

all my masternodest are now active :)1 at the end)!

SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

If this is too much for you, and you keep having trouble with setting up your MN, I am willing to do it for you. Tomorrow masternodes go live with payments, so hurry up! First come, first serve!

I need teamviewer access to your windows pc (the one with 1000 drk wallet) - i will need ssh access to your vultr ubuntu14 64bit instance (putty from your windows, so you see what i do).
We communicate via skype (text chat).

Setup fee is 20DRK per MN.
I guarantee setup time below 1 hour /MN, or drks back (rebuilding transactions index, or waiting for DRK payments to propagate are excluded from this time).

If you are interested, let me know.

Hey I've gotten an offer for my 15 DRK masternode setup (even though I was just playing around) If you think 15 drk is a fair price (150$ is not bad), then let me know and I'll direct you to the person who offered it. 15 DRK might get you more offers then, sorry for ruining your price!!!

The -datadir option doesn't help for me. What else can i do? Also must the rpcuser and rpcpassword be the same on the local and remote?

Unfortunately i have a static ip that i cannot change.... What else can i try?

Also i don't know how to stop the local wallet. At first i clicked on the x to close the wallet, next time i wrote "stop" in the debug console. But it didn't change anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is a proxy server a possible solution? how can i set up a proxy server? google gives me just guides to set up a proxy server for websurfing.

All my masternodes still haven't shut off, either other people did it wrong or I got lucky. Cold storage working perfectly.

Hey I've gotten an offer for my 15 DRK masternode setup (even though I was just playing around) If you think 15 drk is a fair price (150$ is not bad), then let me know and I'll direct you to the person who offered it. 15 DRK might get you more offers then, sorry for ruining your price!!!

Hey, good for you! Just do it. :) (thank you for donation btw, appreciated!)
My wish is to help expand the network, not earn money by setting up masternodes.
I think that big darkcoin network will be great base for privacy boosting rc4, which will be the thing that will make us all rich :D

Also, since I dont really have a lot of time, I put price at 20drk.
For people who stepped into drk months ago, 20drk is not viewed as much.
And on the other hand - compared to prerequisite of 1000 drk for masternode, 2% setup fee is acceptable I think...

cheers,

Kong

I set up my few MNs on local side in separate virtualbox windows instances.
In each I started darkcoin-qt.exe from start (so i had no previous datadir/index/wallet)...
i use unique rpcuser/rpcpass in every config (so different even in same local/remote pair).

8 hours later - all my masternodes are up and running, so I can now confirm that setting up many remote masternodes from same local IP is not an issue.

At the point where you tie it together: I see this error when I go to start the node from Darkcoin wallet

you must set masternode=1 in the configuration

Hmm, it is set to 1 on both the remote server and in the local conf file. ???
Update: My derp problem was my local darkcoin.conf got a .txt appended to it without me noticing it while saving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back