COMPLETE MASTERNODE GUIDE (WINDOWS LOCAL + LINUX REMOTE @VULTR)

Darkuopm

Jun 18, 2014
Darkuopm Regarding your questions...
Default text editor that is present on every unix system is "vi". But it is a bit tricky to use (try googling "vi commands" or "vi guide")....
Alternatively you can install JOE, which is nicer, simpler editor.

A a root user (su -) run: apt-get install joe

Once installed, I would also suggest you edit the file /etc/sudoers:
run: joe /etc/sudoers

find the line:
root ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
and
underneath add a new line:
jack ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL

(substitute jack with your username)
press "ctrl+k" and then "x" - joe command for save file and exit.

BTW - as copy paste in linux terminal (ctrl+c and ctrl+v) do not work, you should use:
COPY is ctrl+insert
PASTE is shift+insert

now you can run administrative commands from your own local username, if you use the command sudo. for example:

sudo apt-get update

so, now you should be able to create a .darkcoin/darkcoin.conf file
(do a "ls -al" for list of all files and directories in current directory... and if directory ".darkcoin" does not exist, first create it with "mkdir .darkcoin") ...

hope this gets you started...
Again thank you for the support. It was very helpful. What part of Africa are you in? I spent a few years in The Cote D'Ivoire in West Africa. I have learned much about Ubuntu this week. I have completed setting up the server side with the .conf file and the IPTABLES file as per the guide. I am having similar issues as others have posted with the error "you must set masternode=1 in the configuration" when I attempt to start masternode on local pc. I have verified that my darkcoin.conf file does not have the .txt extention as well and that masternode=1. I have changed it to masternode=0 restarted darkcoin-qt then exited and changed back to masternode=1. I have tried copying it to the USSER/Appdata/Roaming/Darkcoin folder as well. I have deleted everything in that folder except the wallet and reran the darkcoin-qt.exe and resynced. I am entering the walletpassphrase command each time first and including my password after the Masternode start command. I am using version .10.11.5. I created a new wallet and sent 1000 DRK to its 0 address and regenerated the masternode gen key and updated the .conf files on both local and Vultr. I don't understand the -dir command to try that but I have tried everything i can find and no luck getting the custom .conf to load properly. Hacking video game systems has been easier than this. I enjoy the challenge but am at a wall. any idea or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again

**UPDATE** After hours and multiple attempts I finally figured out the problem. notepad prompted me to change the encoding to Unicode instead of ANSI. As I am so new to programming I did that. I re-saved the local .conf file encoded with ANSI and I am now going to try and finish the setup.

Last edited by a moderator:

dotnetmin

Jun 21, 2014
Thanks again, got my first payment. As promised i did send you a small donation to XfNWVTYs8JtMLdVx9qeDc3gfDJDLHMYAjB

weirdgod

Foundation Member
Jun 4, 2014
Slovenia, EU
Hey.

enjoying my time in Egypt :)

bgaer: did you managed to solve it? that 1 DRK does sound like MN payment!

dotnetmin: thank you, received!

Darkuopm hope you managed it now :) did not think of notepad coding possibilities... :)

DyslexicZombei & others inquiring about -datadir option - run the darkcoin-qt.exe from cmd with a "-?" parameter, and it will open a list of possible parameters...
-datadir is great to separate data from multiple instances (not running at the same time unfortunately) of darkcoin.
run it like: darkcoin-qt.exe -datadir=C:\1 -conf=c:\1\darkcoin.conf
and you will have everything from this instance of darkcoin in folder c:\1 ... and you can have c:\2 with second wallet etc...

darklord1981 - i am not aware of a way to push MN payments to another address. Also - it seems that if you move that 1drk(-charge) to another address, this migh interrupt the MN. See this thread for way to move drks without interrupting MNs: https://darkcointalk.org/threads/rc3-soft-fork.1576/page-5#post-10259

Darkuopm

Jun 18, 2014
Hey.

enjoying my time in Egypt :)

bgaer: did you managed to solve it? that 1 DRK does sound like MN payment!

dotnetmin: thank you, received!

Darkuopm hope you managed it now :) did not think of notepad coding possibilities... :)

DyslexicZombei & others inquiring about -datadir option - run the darkcoin-qt.exe from cmd with a "-?" parameter, and it will open a list of possible parameters...
-datadir is great to separate data from multiple instances (not running at the same time unfortunately) of darkcoin.
run it like: darkcoin-qt.exe -datadir=C:\1 -conf=c:\1\darkcoin.conf
and you will have everything from this instance of darkcoin in folder c:\1 ... and you can have c:\2 with second wallet etc...

darklord1981 - i am not aware of a way to push MN payments to another address. Also - it seems that if you move that 1drk(-charge) to another address, this migh interrupt the MN. See this thread for way to move drks without interrupting MNs: https://darkcointalk.org/threads/rc3-soft-fork.1576/page-5#post-10259
Weirdgod: - Thank you again. I will be sending a donation as well once my MN receives a payment. Its been 20 hours nothing yet but I am sure it will come. I did actually get both my MN up and running one late last night and one today. Only wish I could afford to buy more. I also followed the other guide to set up miners. They are both working however if I close my ssh connection via Putty the miner stops. Any idea how to keep it going or do I just have to keep the connections on my local pc?

MrMime

Foundation Member
Mar 9, 2014
Getting ready to try this right now! Excited! =) Thanks for the guide. Will be sure to tip when it's all said and done. Is it difficult to setup more than one masternode from the same machine?

So was changing firewall.sh with vi, saved the file, went to chmod it and ./firewall, then I get "Activating firewall for" and hangs until PuTTY disconnects and goes inactive. Any other experiences?

Alright, figured it out. Copying and pasting the code was dropping the second I for the IIP. Weird...

Got it up and working! Thank you so much, not that bad at all. The hardest part was getting freaking Vi to not ding at me when trying to input info. Hooray! So one last question then is if I want to host more masternodes, do I just rent out more linux servers and repeat?

weirdgod

Foundation Member
Jun 4, 2014
Slovenia, EU
Hehe, VI is a hard one to crack for beginners :)

Regarding MrMime 's question on more masternodes - you, you need a separate linux server for every instance of masternode. At least for now.

Darkuopm - you can solve the miner's problem with adding the "-B" parameter to the command line... this will make it work in the background (like daemon).
if you do "minerd -help" you will see all possible parameters...

Reactions: Darkuopm

MrMime

Foundation Member
Mar 9, 2014
Thanks weirdgod! Went ahead and tipped. Awesome work.

Any good process for updating? Do I need to stop darkcoind, re wget, then restart darkcoind?

Darkuopm

Jun 18, 2014
Thanks weirdgod! Went ahead and tipped. Awesome work.

Any good process for updating? Do I need to stop darkcoind, re wget, then restart darkcoind?
MrMime see Weirdgods post #55 on page three of this guide for instructions on how to update.

Thanks weirdgod. You have been alot of help. As promised I got my first MN payment and I tipped it to you. I appreciate the knowledge you have shared.

Reactions: MrMime

MrMime

Foundation Member
Mar 9, 2014
MrMime see Weirdgods post #55 on page three of this guide for instructions on how to update.

Thanks weirdgod. You have been alot of help. As promised I got my first MN payment and I tipped it to you. I appreciate the knowledge you have shared.
Thanks Darkuopm.

hard_forker

Jun 20, 2014
OK, no need to do it, have asked Yidakee / Ghostplayer who arranged it for me and has done everything remotely. Can really recommend his help if you are not sure about setting the MN or securing it! It was a great experience & also learned a lot about DRK! The MN is working flawlessly, waiting for my first payment to come :)

karisu

Jun 30, 2014
Hej guys,
I have been following the guides for setting up masternodes for quite a while and have installed my first remote server yesterday but haven't started deploying the cold wallet local machine yet. I am wondering though if anyone has thought about automatic provisioning using vagrant + puppet.
I was thinking a puppet recipe for
  • cloning the git repository
  • installing dependencies
  • building the source
  • setting ip-tables
  • running a monitoring daemon (something like "newrelic" )
That can't be that hard I suppose. If that works and even including the local wallet it could be possible to just do a "vagrant provision" if a new source is release to keep up with the development...

dotnetmin

Jun 21, 2014
Hi,
can you please report how good your payment results are.
I used this guide here to set up a masternode and all looks like good if i check with ./darkcoind masternode list | grep <IP>
Also in the masternodelist all is green.
Alltogether after 3 days i got only 1 payment on day one ( version x.4 ) After update to x.5 i didn´t get a payment.
Some other users reported that they changed IP, used a freh wallet and a new genkey after update from x.4 to x.5
I did also follow this and now after 3 more days in didn´t get a payment and also was not selected to get payed.
So i think there is something wrong i do not see. Any ideas ? Maybe it is not working with the windows cold wallet ?

UdjinM6

Official Dash Dev
Core Developer
Dash Core Team
May 20, 2014
Hi,
can you please report how good your payment results are.
I used this guide here to set up a masternode and all looks like good if i check with ./darkcoind masternode list | grep <IP>
Also in the masternodelist all is green.
Alltogether after 3 days i got only 1 payment on day one ( version x.4 ) After update to x.5 i didn´t get a payment.
Some other users reported that they changed IP, used a freh wallet and a new genkey after update from x.4 to x.5
I did also follow this and now after 3 more days in didn´t get a payment and also was not selected to get payed.
So i think there is something wrong i do not see. Any ideas ? Maybe it is not working with the windows cold wallet ?
try this one with your MN adddress as filter - maybe it was "bad actors" fault http://drk.poolhash.org/masternode.html

dotnetmin

Jun 21, 2014
try this one with your MN adddress as filter - maybe it was "bad actors"
i did already checked. I got not choosed and got no payment.
I did also made a research over the last 500 blocks from my own recorded data, nothing.
What makes me think there could be something wrong is that there are a lot of nodes choosed multiple times and others never.
from 528 Nodes only 286 nodes were selected, all others were multiple selections, one had 8 votes and one 7.
Maybe there are 200 nodes that will not get choosed on a reason we do not know yet.

ibcrypto

May 22, 2014
Thank You for the Guide!

Looking to setup several MN's with the Wallet,(local), machine on Linux. The only Linux source wallet I was able to find/comiile/sync was v0.10.11.5-beta. Will that work?

Thank You

booyah

Apr 18, 2014
Hi, there is a new version 0.10.11.6 out, to upgrade the darkcoind file on my server can i just use download the file from darkcoin.io/downloads/rc/darkcoind because that file is 53mb wheres the file on darkcoin.io website (github/darkcoinproject/darkcoin-binaries/raw/master/rc/darkcoin-0.10.11.6-linux.tar.gz) is only 7mb (bin/64bit/darkcoind) once extracted, can somebody clarify which file to use? Thanks.

vertoe

Three of Nine
Mar 28, 2014
Unimatrix Zero One
Hi, there is a new version 0.10.11.6 out, to upgrade the darkcoind file on my server can i just use download the file from darkcoin.io/downloads/rc/darkcoind because that file is 53mb wheres the file on darkcoin.io website (github/darkcoinproject/darkcoin-binaries/raw/master/rc/darkcoin-0.10.11.6-linux.tar.gz) is only 7mb (bin/64bit/darkcoind) once extracted, can somebody clarify which file to use? Thanks.
the file on darkcoin.io is still 10.11.5...

booyah

Apr 18, 2014
the file on darkcoin.io is still 10.11.5...
Thanks for confirming vertoe, do you know why there is such a difference in file size 53mb from website compared to 7mb through github? Going to try github file, hopefully works...

vertoe

Three of Nine
Mar 28, 2014
Unimatrix Zero One
Thanks for confirming vertoe, do you know why there is such a difference in file size 53mb from website compared to 7mb through github? Going to try github file, hopefully works...
The huge file might include static linked libraries, the small wont dont. that's my guess. flare has details. I'm confused now, why we have two different locations for binaries?

flare

Administrator
Dash Core Team
May 18, 2014
Germany
The huge file might include static linked libraries, the small wont dont. that's my guess. flare has details. I'm confused now, why we have two different locations for binaries?
Filesize is reduced because debug symbols are removed via 'strip' command - nothing to do with linked libraries. You can test this by yourself on old 50mb binaries

Code:
$ strip darkcoind
Stripping debug symbols from release binaries is best practice to reduce memory footprint.

For the darkcoin.io links: i double checked and the links are 0.9.11.6 and 0.10.11.6 - were do you see 0.9.11.5?

EDIT: OK, now is see what you mean, the old download links on darkcoin.io are still active. Please don't use them, they are deprecated eduffield and me decided to move hosting location to github, later will be AWS S3

Ryan Taylor

Dash Core Team
Foundation Member
Jul 3, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ, USA
Filesize is reduced because debug symbols are removed via 'strip' command - nothing to do with linked libraries. You can test this by yourself on old 50mb binaries

Code:
$ strip darkcoind
Stripping debug symbols from release binaries is best practice to reduce memory footprint.

For the darkcoin.io links: i double checked and the links are 0.9.11.6 and 0.10.11.6 - were do you see 0.9.11.5?
I believe he is referring to the instructions in all the MN setup / update guides here point to binaries at "wget http://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/rc/darkcoind"
If you follow those instructions, you end up downloading 0.10.11.5 still.
Weirdgod's post in this very thread has the following instructions for updating.

howto:

1. login to linux/vultr with putty...
2. stop darkcoind server, and move binary file to different name (.old):
./darkcoind stop
mv darkcoind darkcoind.old

3. now you can download the new binary, and make it executable, and run it:
wget http://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/rc/darkcoind
chmod +x darkcoind
./darkcoind

I think we need some kind of process to ensure consistency in the format and locations we distribute updates. Another example that is surely driving confusion is with the Windows Qt. The previous link on the website was just a Qt file. But currently, you download a .zip file that contains a Qt and another folder with a daemon in the other folder. That's going to be totally confusing for a casual user. Once we have a definitive list of locations where the files will reside, someone needs to ensure every file in those locations is current and in the correct format (e.g., zip or whatever) before we post the announcement for everyone to update. Otherwise, we have a bunch of folks that either get confused, or worse, they download an old version from wget http://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/rc/darkcoind and THINK they've upgraded to the latest version but haven't. That would not help the situation for the next hard fork.

flare

Administrator
Dash Core Team
May 18, 2014
Germany
I believe he is referring to the instructions in all the MN setup / update guides here point to binaries at "wget http://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/rc/darkcoind"
If you follow those instructions, you end up downloading 0.10.11.5 still.
Weirdgod's post in this very thread has the following instructions for updating.

howto:

1. login to linux/vultr with putty...
2. stop darkcoind server, and move binary file to different name (.old):
./darkcoind stop
mv darkcoind darkcoind.old

3. now you can download the new binary, and make it executable, and run it:
wget http://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/rc/darkcoind
chmod +x darkcoind
./darkcoind
I see - nevertheless the guides needs to be updated. The old location http://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/rc/darkcoind is deprecated and eduffield will delete it short term.

I am planning to build a download archive like this one or this one

https://download.litecoin.org/litecoin-0.8.6.2/
https://download.litecoin.org/litecoin-0.8.6.1/

in the near future. To facilitate automatic masternode updates there will be something like https://download.darkcoin.io/latest/ which always points to the latest version - (and PPA packages for 'apt-get update')

Reactions: Ryan Taylor

booyah

Apr 18, 2014
A website like you suggested flare would be great, would avoid any confusion on guides if those guides are not updated.
Does anybody know how long it takes for elbzo.net website to update showing my MN to be using latest version, in terminal " ./darkcoind getinfo" commend shows .6 version running but elbzo.net website showing my mn still on .5?

booyah

Apr 18, 2014
A website like you suggested flare would be great, would avoid any confusion on guides if those guides are not updated.
Does anybody know how long it takes for elbzo.net website to update showing my MN to be using latest version, in terminal " ./darkcoind getinfo" commend shows .6 version running but elbzo.net website showing my mn still on .5?
elbzo.net website now showing i am on .6 version so probably take 45-60 minutes for "version" to update on website ;)

Reactions: flare

MrMime

Foundation Member
Mar 9, 2014
What's a good SOP, for those that want to update, but can't get their updates since /rc/darkcoind is depreciated?

booyah

Apr 18, 2014
What's a good SOP, for those that want to update, but can't get their updates since /rc/darkcoind is depreciated?
1 - Download the release candicate 0.10.11.6 "linux rc3 (darksend) tgz" file from darkcoin.io website -> getting started page on your local pc.
2 - Extract the tgz file on your local pc which will give you darkcoin-0.10.11.6-linux folder containing bin folder containing 32 & 64 bit folders, i am using 64 bit so in 64 bit folder was 2 files "darkcoin-qt" & "darkcoind"

terminal commands are in bold, i am assuming your darkcoind file is in your home folder (remote server) for all of the below terminal commands

3.1 - on remote server stop the MN - ./darkcoind stop
3.2 - on remote server, backup old darkcoind file - mv darkcoind darkcoind.old
3.3 - on local pc from inside extracted 64 bit folder - scp darkcoind [email protected]:/home/YOURUSERNAME
3.4 - confirm copied darkcoind file is in your home folder on the remote server, should be 6824kb in size - ls -s
3.5 - give darkcoind file execute permission on the remote server - chmod +x darkcoind
3.6 - start darkcoind file on remote server - ./darkcoind
3.7 - wait about 30 seconds, confirm you are running .6 version, at top of the output will be the version 101106, on remote server - ./darkcoind getinfo
3.8 - confirm your MN is running, output should end in IPADDRESS:1 with a 1 showing - ./darkcoind masternode list | grep YOUR-REMOTEPC-IP-ADDRESS
3.9 - Re-confirm your MN running by checking elbzo.net webpage, allow 45-60 minutes for your version to update on that webpage.

Hope the above helps.

Reactions: MrMime

vertoe

Three of Nine
Mar 28, 2014
Unimatrix Zero One
EDIT: OK, now is see what you mean, the old download links on darkcoin.io are still active. Please don't use them, they are deprecated eduffield and me decided to move hosting location to github, later will be AWS S3
NOOOO... guys, seriously? Stop moving things around. I got to fix my update scripts on 27 machines everytime you decide a new location is better and the old deprecated.... leave alone all the guides pointing to darkcoin.io out there....

I think we need some kind of process to ensure consistency in the format and locations we distribute updates. Another example that is surely driving confusion is with the Windows Qt. The previous link on the website was just a Qt file. But currently, you download a .zip file that contains a Qt and another folder with a daemon in the other folder. That's going to be totally confusing for a casual user. Once we have a definitive list of locations where the files will reside, someone needs to ensure every file in those locations is current and in the correct format (e.g., zip or whatever) before we post the announcement for everyone to update. Otherwise, we have a bunch of folks that either get confused, or worse, they download an old version from wget http://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/rc/darkcoind and THINK they've upgraded to the latest version but haven't. That would not help the situation for the next hard fork.
This, exactly.

flare

Administrator
Dash Core Team
May 18, 2014
Germany
NOOOO... guys, seriously? Stop moving things around. I got to fix my update scripts on 27 machines everytime you decide a new location is better and the old deprecated.... leave alone all the guides pointing to darkcoin.io out there....
I feel your pain, nevertheless this refurbish was necessary, having darkcoind.exe and darkcoin-qt.exe files without version-number as download is not good practice and a sign of bad quality.

When i am finshed with everything, you will only have to do "apt-get update" and then you're done anyway :what: - if you need to update your script on 27 machines manually you are doing something wrong. Have a look at puppet or simliar solutions - or maybe atavacron can help you out with his automation approach.

eduffield had to move the files to another location, because he had security concerns, noone beside him has access and traffic was killing him (600 nodes x 50mb download = 30GB of traffic for each rc update each, not counting the 1000+ normal wallets out there)

BTW: We will need to move the files one more time, as the current solution does not scale. Keep you posted when this will happen and how.
This, exactly.
That's exactly why we did with the recent changes - http://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/rc/darkcoind does not denote the version in any kind, whereas https://github.com/darkcoinproject/darkcoin-binaries/raw/master/darkcoin-0.9.11.6-linux.tar.gz does - not to speak that the binaries cannot be verified (gpg signatures, gitian signatures) - i am still in the process setting this up.

The packaging we have now is best practice througout the main crypto currencies (Bitcoin, Litecoin, Dogecoin, Peercoin) -

they all provide the same kind of downloads (setup.exe, zip, tar.gz, dmg) - why do you think Darkcoin users will be more confused by this than other Crypto-Users?

For the windows Qt: The usual windows user is expecting to download a setup.exe - and thats exactly what i am building now - if the artwork would have been availabe last week, 0.9.6.11 would have had a setup.exe already - but i am not a screen designer and rely on support from community...

So: The naming scheme and packaging of the files is final, the location where the files reside is not, eduffield and me are still discussing the different solutions (github, Amazon S3, sourceforge, other hosting space). Let's have some patience here, we can't overhaul the process in just 2 weeks time, beside coding, bugfixing, community support.... so please bare with me that not all is ready and done yet.

Reactions: Ryan Taylor