• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

COMPLETE MASTERNODE GUIDE (WINDOWS LOCAL + LINUX REMOTE @VULTR)

Thanks for confirming vertoe, do you know why there is such a difference in file size 53mb from website compared to 7mb through github? Going to try github file, hopefully works...
The huge file might include static linked libraries, the small wont dont. that's my guess. flare has details. I'm confused now, why we have two different locations for binaries?

The huge file might include static linked libraries, the small wont dont. that's my guess. flare has details. I'm confused now, why we have two different locations for binaries?
Filesize is reduced because debug symbols are removed via 'strip' command - nothing to do with linked libraries. You can test this by yourself on old 50mb binaries

Code:
$ strip darkcoind

Stripping debug symbols from release binaries is best practice to reduce memory footprint.

For the darkcoin.io links: i double checked and the links are 0.9.11.6 and 0.10.11.6 - were do you see 0.9.11.5?

EDIT: OK, now is see what you mean, the old download links on darkcoin.io are still active. Please don't use them, they are deprecated eduffield and me decided to move hosting location to github, later will be AWS S3

Last edited by a moderator:
Filesize is reduced because debug symbols are removed via 'strip' command - nothing to do with linked libraries. You can test this by yourself on old 50mb binaries

Code:
$ strip darkcoind

Stripping debug symbols from release binaries is best practice to reduce memory footprint.

For the darkcoin.io links: i double checked and the links are 0.9.11.6 and 0.10.11.6 - were do you see 0.9.11.5?
I believe he is referring to the instructions in all the MN setup / update guides here point to binaries at "wget http://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/rc/darkcoind"
If you follow those instructions, you end up downloading 0.10.11.5 still.
Weirdgod's post in this very thread has the following instructions for updating.

howto:

1. login to linux/vultr with putty...
2. stop darkcoind server, and move binary file to different name (.old):
./darkcoind stop
mv darkcoind darkcoind.old

3. now you can download the new binary, and make it executable, and run it:
wget http://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/rc/darkcoind
chmod +x darkcoind
./darkcoind

I think we need some kind of process to ensure consistency in the format and locations we distribute updates. Another example that is surely driving confusion is with the Windows Qt. The previous link on the website was just a Qt file. But currently, you download a .zip file that contains a Qt and another folder with a daemon in the other folder. That's going to be totally confusing for a casual user. Once we have a definitive list of locations where the files will reside, someone needs to ensure every file in those locations is current and in the correct format (e.g., zip or whatever) before we post the announcement for everyone to update. Otherwise, we have a bunch of folks that either get confused, or worse, they download an old version from wget http://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/rc/darkcoind and THINK they've upgraded to the latest version but haven't. That would not help the situation for the next hard fork.

I believe he is referring to the instructions in all the MN setup / update guides here point to binaries at "wget http://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/rc/darkcoind"
If you follow those instructions, you end up downloading 0.10.11.5 still.
Weirdgod's post in this very thread has the following instructions for updating.

howto:

1. login to linux/vultr with putty...
2. stop darkcoind server, and move binary file to different name (.old):
./darkcoind stop
mv darkcoind darkcoind.old

3. now you can download the new binary, and make it executable, and run it:
wget http://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/rc/darkcoind
chmod +x darkcoind
./darkcoind

I see - nevertheless the guides needs to be updated. The old location http://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/rc/darkcoind is deprecated and eduffield will delete it short term.

I am planning to build a download archive like this one or this one

https://download.litecoin.org/litecoin-0.8.6.2/
https://download.litecoin.org/litecoin-0.8.6.1/

in the near future. To facilitate automatic masternode updates there will be something like https://download.darkcoin.io/latest/ which always points to the latest version - (and PPA packages for 'apt-get update')

A website like you suggested flare would be great, would avoid any confusion on guides if those guides are not updated.
Does anybody know how long it takes for elbzo.net website to update showing my MN to be using latest version, in terminal " ./darkcoind getinfo" commend shows .6 version running but elbzo.net website showing my mn still on .5?

A website like you suggested flare would be great, would avoid any confusion on guides if those guides are not updated.
Does anybody know how long it takes for elbzo.net website to update showing my MN to be using latest version, in terminal " ./darkcoind getinfo" commend shows .6 version running but elbzo.net website showing my mn still on .5?

elbzo.net website now showing i am on .6 version so probably take 45-60 minutes for "version" to update on website :wink:

What's a good SOP, for those that want to update, but can't get their updates since /rc/darkcoind is depreciated?

What's a good SOP, for those that want to update, but can't get their updates since /rc/darkcoind is depreciated?
1 - Download the release candicate 0.10.11.6 "linux rc3 (darksend) tgz" file from darkcoin.io website -> getting started page on your local pc.
2 - Extract the tgz file on your local pc which will give you darkcoin-0.10.11.6-linux folder containing bin folder containing 32 & 64 bit folders, i am using 64 bit so in 64 bit folder was 2 files "darkcoin-qt" & "darkcoind"

terminal commands are in bold, i am assuming your darkcoind file is in your home folder (remote server) for all of the below terminal commands

3.1 - on remote server stop the MN - ./darkcoind stop
3.2 - on remote server, backup old darkcoind file - mv darkcoind darkcoind.old
3.3 - on local pc from inside extracted 64 bit folder - scp darkcoind USERNAME@REMOTESERVERIP:/home/YOURUSERNAME
3.4 - confirm copied darkcoind file is in your home folder on the remote server, should be 6824kb in size - ls -s
3.5 - give darkcoind file execute permission on the remote server - chmod +x darkcoind
3.6 - start darkcoind file on remote server - ./darkcoind
3.7 - wait about 30 seconds, confirm you are running .6 version, at top of the output will be the version 101106, on remote server - ./darkcoind getinfo
3.8 - confirm your MN is running, output should end in IPADDRESS:1 with a 1 showing - ./darkcoind masternode list | grep YOUR-REMOTEPC-IP-ADDRESS
3.9 - Re-confirm your MN running by checking elbzo.net webpage, allow 45-60 minutes for your version to update on that webpage.

Hope the above helps.

EDIT: OK, now is see what you mean, the old download links on darkcoin.io are still active. Please don't use them, they are deprecated eduffield and me decided to move hosting location to github, later will be AWS S3
NOOOO... guys, seriously? Stop moving things around. I got to fix my update scripts on 27 machines everytime you decide a new location is better and the old deprecated.... leave alone all the guides pointing to darkcoin.io out there....

I think we need some kind of process to ensure consistency in the format and locations we distribute updates. Another example that is surely driving confusion is with the Windows Qt. The previous link on the website was just a Qt file. But currently, you download a .zip file that contains a Qt and another folder with a daemon in the other folder. That's going to be totally confusing for a casual user. Once we have a definitive list of locations where the files will reside, someone needs to ensure every file in those locations is current and in the correct format (e.g., zip or whatever) before we post the announcement for everyone to update. Otherwise, we have a bunch of folks that either get confused, or worse, they download an old version from wget http://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/rc/darkcoind and THINK they've upgraded to the latest version but haven't. That would not help the situation for the next hard fork.
This, exactly.

NOOOO... guys, seriously? Stop moving things around. I got to fix my update scripts on 27 machines everytime you decide a new location is better and the old deprecated.... leave alone all the guides pointing to darkcoin.io out there....

I feel your pain, nevertheless this refurbish was necessary, having darkcoind.exe and darkcoin-qt.exe files without version-number as download is not good practice and a sign of bad quality.

When i am finshed with everything, you will only have to do "apt-get update" and then you're done anyway :what: - if you need to update your script on 27 machines manually you are doing something wrong. Have a look at puppet or simliar solutions - or maybe atavacron can help you out with his automation approach.

eduffield had to move the files to another location, because he had security concerns, noone beside him has access and traffic was killing him (600 nodes x 50mb download = 30GB of traffic for each rc update each, not counting the 1000+ normal wallets out there)

BTW: We will need to move the files one more time, as the current solution does not scale. Keep you posted when this will happen and how.
This, exactly.

That's exactly why we did with the recent changes - http://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/rc/darkcoind does not denote the version in any kind, whereas https://github.com/darkcoinproject/darkcoin-binaries/raw/master/darkcoin-0.9.11.6-linux.tar.gz does - not to speak that the binaries cannot be verified (gpg signatures, gitian signatures) - i am still in the process setting this up.

The packaging we have now is best practice througout the main crypto currencies (Bitcoin, Litecoin, Dogecoin, Peercoin) -

LZomYZX.png

they all provide the same kind of downloads (setup.exe, zip, tar.gz, dmg) - why do you think Darkcoin users will be more confused by this than other Crypto-Users?

For the windows Qt: The usual windows user is expecting to download a setup.exe - and thats exactly what i am building now - if the artwork would have been availabe last week, 0.9.6.11 would have had a setup.exe already - but i am not a screen designer and rely on support from community...

So: The naming scheme and packaging of the files is final, the location where the files reside is not, eduffield and me are still discussing the different solutions (github, Amazon S3, sourceforge, other hosting space). Let's have some patience here, we can't overhaul the process in just 2 weeks time, beside coding, bugfixing, community support.... so please bare with me that not all is ready and done yet.

1 - Download the release candicate 0.10.11.6 "linux rc3 (darksend) tgz" file from darkcoin.io website -> getting started page on your local pc.
2 - Extract the tgz file on your local pc which will give you darkcoin-0.10.11.6-linux folder containing bin folder containing 32 & 64 bit folders, i am using 64 bit so in 64 bit folder was 2 files "darkcoin-qt" & "darkcoind"

terminal commands are in bold, i am assuming your darkcoind file is in your home folder (remote server) for all of the below terminal commands

3.1 - on remote server stop the MN - ./darkcoind stop
3.2 - on remote server, backup old darkcoind file - mv darkcoind darkcoind.old
3.3 - on local pc from inside extracted 64 bit folder - scp darkcoind USERNAME@REMOTESERVERIP:/home/YOURUSERNAME
3.4 - confirm copied darkcoind file is in your home folder on the remote server, should be 6824kb in size - ls -s
3.5 - give darkcoind file execute permission on the remote server - chmod +x darkcoind
3.6 - start darkcoind file on remote server - ./darkcoind
3.7 - wait about 30 seconds, confirm you are running .6 version, at top of the output will be the version 101106, on remote server - ./darkcoind getinfo
3.8 - confirm your MN is running, output should end in IPADDRESS:1 with a 1 showing - ./darkcoind masternode list | grep YOUR-REMOTEPC-IP-ADDRESS
3.9 - Re-confirm your MN running by checking elbzo.net webpage, allow 45-60 minutes for your version to update on that webpage.

Hope the above helps.
If using windows for local wallet, do you know if I can just change my config file to repoint?

If using windows for local wallet, do you know if I can just change my config file to repoint?
I dont know what you mean by repoiont. I had the understanding that updating did not require a change to the .conf file. I could be wrong anyone please correct me if so.

I have a windows local machine and was trying to update. This is what I did and it seams to have worked.
on my VPS logged in thru putty:
wget https://github.com/darkcoinproject/darkcoin-binaries/raw/master/rc/darkcoin-0.10.11.6-linux.tar.gz
that downloaded the file then
tar -zxvf darkcoind0.10.11.6-linux.tar.gz
that unzipped it
mv darkcoind0.10.11.6-linux/bin/64/darkcoind darkcoind
that moved darkcoind to my root dir
sudo chmod +x darkcoind
that set permissions
./darkcoind
that started the server.
It is now showing updated on elbzo.net to 10.11.6 but does not show listed yet on the Status drkmn 01 thru 08 or the p2 pool. I am hoping that it just needs time for those.
hopefully this helps someone trying to update. I am still kinda of new to linux but am learning.

that started the server.
It is now showing updated on elbzo.net to 10.11.6 but does not show listed yet on the Status drkmn 01 thru 08 or the p2 pool. I am hoping that it just needs time for those.
hopefully this helps someone trying to update. I am still kinda of new to linux but am learning.

Same thing happened to one of my MN's also. The Other two were fine however. Weird.. In regards to the pointing, I was looking off of what booyah posted up above. Babygiraffe had a great guide and that seemed to go off without a hitch. (Essentially what you had written) Other than that one not listing on any servers, it's all good.

*Edit: Is your ip showing up when you ./darkcoind masternode list | grep [ip]?

Same thing happened to one of my MN's also. The Other two were find however. Weird.. In regards to the pointing, I was looking off of what booyah posted up above. Babygiraffe had a great guide and that seemed to go off without a hitch. (Essentially what you had written) Other than that one not listing on any servers, it's all good.

*Edit: Is your ip showing up when you ./darkcoind masternode list | grep [ip]?
no that's weird the grep command doesn't seem to do anything now?? and I am still unlisted? Any ideas??

i dont want to try and update my second one if it is going to be a problem

Yeah, same thing happened to me and looks like my node disappeared from elbzo. :/. Assuming will have to restart creation process over?

Edit* Trying to roll back to 05 version and seeing if that changes anything.
Edit** Didn't work. Not too sure now. Will probably need to transfer coins and re-setup?

Yeah, same thing happened to me and looks like my node disappeared from elbzo. :/. Assuming will have to restart creation process over?

Edit* Trying to roll back to 05 version and seeing if that changes anything.
Edit** Didn't work. Not too sure now. Will probably need to transfer coins and re-setup?
Did you try going back into the wallet console and entering "walletpassphrase <password> 60" and "masternode start <password>" to relaunch the masternode?

babygiraffe I have not yet. Will try throwing that in and seeing. Thanks!

Ya went through and still no 1 after ip. :/

Back