• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Official Statement On Rebranding To Dash

Actually Tante I am working on that R & QM thing, but that would really be off topic. (Suffice it to say that Einstein missed something important--namely what time and space were relative to. He seems to have thought it was to each other based on velocity. His def. of time highlights his error. Time is not what a clock measures--Time is what conscious entities measure with a clock. On the QM side R. Penrose gets close.):what:

To answer your earlier question more directly. Evan released an open source code that the market seems to like. He does not own it since he open sourced it. He MAY now own the trademark for Dash, but that remains to be seen. Owning a trademark ONLY gives you a right to sue in Federal Court. Under Common Law, first use in commerce is a defensible right IF you go to court, and then only on a State by State basis. To my knowledge Evan has never sold anything bearing the name Darkcoin or Dash, and any claim to the name Dash would be based on the legitimacy of the contract he obtained from the previous Dashcoin Developer. Whether HE truly owned the name is an open question. Personally I suspect that the Board of Directors are the only ones at risk due to the fact that the foundation is an entity created by the State and hence completely under its jurisdiction. They could in theory be sued by an entity claiming that they are infringing on their ownership of DASH. However, in the absence of actual sale of product, it would be difficult to demonstrate damages. The URL would be another issue. At this point We can call our coin, wallets, and nodes, anything we like. Just like you can name your child Coca Cola--but I suspect you are a better mother than that.:eek:

Had they asked me (and they had no reason to:tongue:) I would have advised against forming such an entity, but what is done is done. To my chagrin, most Churches are formed as 503c Corporations and have no idea that this puts them under the total control of the State. It is done in exchange for favorable tax status, and to protect the leadership from suits. Only now are many finding that the price was far too high. Much better the system employed by the Roman Catholic organizations whose holdings are held in trust by a Vicar who does not own, but manages the trust holdings.

Peace to you my dear... :smile:

Sorry it is clearly past my bedtime and this surely falls under the catagory of TMI.:oops:

Problem is, I simply can't read Penrose. I'm usually pretty good at understanding theoretical physics without too much math, but Penrose confuses me with the way he writes. If you can suggest an interpreter (yes, I'm a native English speaker) I'd love the suggestion because frankly, I want to understand some of his points but fall asleep when reading him. LOL, thanks, and yah, back to Dar... er... DASH?

Also, no that was super interesting and answered many questions. Thanks, not TMI, I'm sure others wonder too!

Because 18M market cap is so large. Fork all you want, you won't have an expansive masternode network or talent. Fuck off.
Just because I haven't posted before doesn't mean I don't read the forums on a fairly regular basis. You should be able to tell how long my username has been registered. Quite frankly, I did not have much of a need to post. This is the first time I've actually felt the need to speak up. If I had known this came up in the bitcointalk forum I would have said something earlier. I just found out about this tragedy today when I noticed the huge sell-off. I won't lie, my masternodes are now liquidated. I hated to do it but I know what a rocky road the new Dash is in for. I may buy back in if the market recovers but lets be honest, this is a business. I'm not here for my health.

Just because I haven't posted before doesn't mean I don't read the forums on a fairly regular basis. You should be able to tell how long my username has been registered. Quite frankly, I did not have much of a need to post. This is the first time I've actually felt the need to speak up. If I had known this came up in the bitcointalk forum I would have said something earlier. I just found out about this tragedy today when I noticed the huge sell-off. I won't lie, my masternodes are now liquidated. I hated to do it but I know what a rocky road the new Dash is in for. I may buy back in if the market recovers but lets be honest, this is a business. I'm not here for my health.
I feel very bad for you. So you believe that a name change, and nothing more, has killed this project? Honestly? Ok, I'm not going to laugh......... I'm glad you feel safer now though, and wish you great success in the future.

I feel very bad for you. So you believe that a name change, and nothing more, has killed this project? Honestly? Ok, I'm not going to laugh......... I'm glad you feel safer now though, and wish you great success in the future.
I don't believe the project is dead by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't see a name change being good for business at least in the short term.

I don't believe the project is dead by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't see a name change being good for business at least in the short term.
In the short term, you may be right. We had name recognition. The problem is, we had name recognition among a tiny minority of crypto people. The proponents of changing the name to DASH are thinking long term, with bigger goals in mind. It's very exciting! If you just sold to buy back lower, good luck to you, because I promise you, more investors are coming with bigger pockets...

In the short term, you may be right. We had name recognition. The problem is, we had name recognition among a tiny minority of crypto people. The proponents of changing the name to DASH are thinking long term, with bigger goals in mind. It's very exciting! If you just sold to buy back lower, good luck to you, because I promise you, more investors are coming with bigger pockets...
As I said, this is a business. Darkcoin has done right by me, much profit. I hope you are right, because I would happily ride this chain again. Until then I suppose.

As I said, this is a business. Darkcoin has done right by me, much profit. I hope you are right, because I wouldl happily ride this chain again. Until then I suppose.
And that's exactly it, you have a traders mentality (focused on the short-term) when a lot of us are actual investors looking at the long-term picture about growing the userbase and adoption (something that wouldn't be possible to a large extent remaining as Darkcoin).

This thing is so sexy I would LOVE to add it to the official wallet's "About Darkcoin Core" popup right now....but I guess Evan would kill me :grin:
He doesn't have to accept the pull request. LOL!

I was actually thinking it might almost be time to verify people are actually paying attention to what pull requests are being made. Would hate to see someone sneak though something nefarious. Maybe we should use it as a litmus test?!

This is my first post here... So hello to all my fellow Darkcoiners/Dashers :) ...This .gif animation is the reason I have decided to finally create an account here (been holding DRK and 3 masternodes for a while now). I have been lurking these forums for many months but finally decided to break my silence... THIS IS AMAZING! +1 I'm looking forward to all of the developments moving forward with this project. Evan has my full support.
Welcome. It's much more fun when you stop lurking!

And that's exactly it, you have a traders mentality (focused on the short-term) when a lot of us are actual investors looking at the long-term picture about growing the userbase and adoption (something that wouldn't be possible to a large extent remaining as Darkcoin).
Your investment is in a set of protocols and the businesses that support it. One is no more important than the other I'm afraid. Your protocol is open source. New blockchains can be created at any time! I would hope that you would appreciate those that have already invested so much into the darkcoin protocol. Try to keep us in mind occasionally when making decisions that affect our investments.

7LNcIPu.png

About this logo I love the font and the inverted C and obviously the animation just makes it really cool, but I am having a lot of trouble with the "-" it just makes me feel like is a minus sign.... I feel like it says "less cash"... I almost didn't post this but decided to do it before I gave into group thinking... I would love to see an option... that uses an arrow like alex-ru was suggesting... I didn't post his example side by side... because it was ugly as he is not a designer so it wouldn't be fair to the idea... but at least the arrow would make me feel... like moving forward... "more cash coming" .... I don't have the exact answer... I just wanted to share my honest feelings... Even if it is not an arrow... I think we can try more options...

alex-ru Is that what was bothering you too? I am wondering if I am the only one.

7LNcIPu.png

About this logo I love the font and the inverted C and obviously the animation just makes it really cool, but I am having a lot of trouble with the "-" it just makes me feel like is a minus sign.... I feel like it says "less cash"... I almost didn't post this but decided to do it before I gave into group thinking... I would love to see an option... that uses an arrow like alex-ru was suggesting... I didn't post his example side by side... because it was ugly as he is not a designer so it wouldn't be fair to the idea... but at least the arrow would make me feel... like moving forward... "more cash coming" .... I don't have the exact answer... I just wanted to share my honest feelings... Even if it is not an arrow... I think we can try more options...

alex-ru Is that what was bothering you too? I am wondering if I am the only one.
I think you are nit picking it a bit! lol. I don't mind the dash at all.

Maybe it was one of those funky chill-pills tungfa's been pushing around :eek: :tongue:

Hurting people who deserve it makes me feel good. I beat the living crap out of a guy that really had it coming.

Way more therapeutic then ripping dumbasses a new one on the Internet...

Mmmmm violence properly doled. Is anything more comforting than knowing that people who deserve a good beating still get it, and that it's your responsibility to hand it out? I've haven't felt this relaxed and centered in a long time... I am the consequence. I don't get to be myself very often...

Thanks for noticing. ;-)

Hurting people who deserve it makes me feel good. I beat the living crap out of a guy that really had it coming.

Way more therapeutic then ripping dumbasses a new one on the Internet...

Mmmmm violence properly doled. Is anything more comforting than knowing that people who deserve a good beating still get it, and that it's your responsibility to hand it out? I've haven't felt this relaxed and centered in a long time... I am the consequence. I don't get to be myself very often...

Thanks for noticing. ;-)
You always make me LOL!

Your investment is in a set of protocols and the businesses that support it. One is no more important than the other I'm afraid. Your protocol is open source. New blockchains can be created at any time! I would hope that you would appreciate those that have already invested so much into the darkcoin protocol. Try to keep us in mind occasionally when making decisions that affect our investments.
Correct and the latter is what the rebrand is all about--getting businesses to support it. To ultimately decide to rebrand is one of the greatest long-term changes made to Darkcoin as it opens the doors for a wider audience. With more adoption and growing userbase, there should (in theory) be increase in the value of each coin. I'd say that's in the best interest of those with money already invested...

7LNcIPu.png

Well, the D with the - could also be seen as a U with an I if you turn it sideways, and that symbol appears on many electronics as a power button.
power_button_symbol.png

This D (Inverted C) could also survive as a one letter symbol for small spaces.

So, with that being said, I like this logo for three reasons:

1. The dash behind the D creates the illusion of movement, and it's a DASH!

2. The inverted C is a brilliant way to highlight the similarities and differences between Cash and Digital Cash.

3. The subtle reference to the power button symbol gives an impression of powering up, and that's what we are about, empowering people financially.

It's fantastic!

7LNcIPu.png

Thanks for attention to my opinion.

In fact i can't feel all meaning, slang, linguistic and history of "dash" in your language+culture. May be arrow can't be better... or may be it just need to be creative designed - don't know... So I trust this point to you guys, native speakers. And to professional designers :).

But the thing that frighten me a lot:

The more D letter will be "creative" = unreadable - the more mistakes and misunderstanding it will cause.
New people will read it as "some sign + ASH".

I think we'd better to modify it to make it more readable without additional explanation (so we can use just short logo everywhere. Instead of long: logo+ text description "what it really means").
Readable not just for people who are discussing it several days :) - but for every person who see it first time also.

Maybe it will be better that way: make first vertical line"I" of D with different color, thickness or some other design.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this logo. We just need to expand upon it with an infographic/animated infographic. Not to replace it, but to have both. Most people think BitCoin already is digital cash. If we don't combat the misinformation, then we look like a solution in search of a problem. "Who cares, BitCoin has already been around for 6 years, DASH is just another scamcoin."

I don't care if you call it CrapInYourOwnFaceCoin. If there's no definition of what the name is and means, it's a useless branding. We're internalizing again. We, who have been in the project for over a year, understand it fully. We know what it means to say digital cash. Nobody else does. Nobody knows why BTC and it's clones aren't what the misinformation has led them to falsely believe. Yes, it's a bit technical. It doesn't have to be a long-winded every detail thing. If we don't explain it a little, it won't matter what the name is. Just another abbreviation on the Ouija Boards...

Go look at the Tesla website. They break down the basics of an electric car to the point that it's almost deceptive and untrue... But that's what it takes to reach the dumb-masses. Elon is making a shitload of money, so the message must be getting across. I've spoken to many prospective Tesla buyers. They know precisely dick about electric cars or regular cars. Hell, most of them are trust-fund babies that have never worked a day in their lives and can barely spell their own names. They rank among the dumbest people I've ever met. And they're being reached with an infographic style website that almost insults a person with a brain...

http://my.teslamotors.com/goelectric

Does it mention Watts, Amps or Voltage anywhere? It relates to metrics that the dumb-masses can understand even though it borders on dishonesty in order to reach out to them. Is Coefficient of Drag and Frontal Area mentioned? Rolling Resistance? Anything about the motor's construction? Any discussion about inductive reactance? How the LiFePO chemical reaction occurs during charging and discharging? It doesn't talk about any of that. Personally, I wish it did. But, then it would go over the heads of the useless dumbsh!ts it's meant to target...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back