• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Rebranding and Scalability

I side with vertoe in this debate. Work on fundamentals first. Isn't the name good enough?

Imho this change could do a lot of harm to the community. Maybe the proposal alone already did cause some tension. And it's really fragile, and has to be trated carefully..

For God's sake, please think it through.

And Evan, a constructive criticism: if you decide to let the community vote, please do not act without waiting for them. This already happened once, and it feels terrible. If my boss asks for our opinion and we vouch for plan A yet he sides with plan B we feel way worse than not being asked at all...

Make no hasty decision. Many of us have huge (well, huge to me) investments in this coin, and huge emotional and time investment in the community. I'm very afraid this won't turn out well.

I don't get it. What is wrong with "Dark"? Since when "Dark" is a "bad" thing and why should we attach negative connotation to "dark"? Darkness and Light balances each other- just like matter and dark-matter and just like transparency/openness and privacy. If Dark is "bad" then light also should be equally 'bad". For some things in life we need transparency and for others we need to stay in the dark and stay private. That does not necessarily mean dark is criminal or illegal. It just means, my financial information is nobody's damn business.

Besides, this name issue have been brought up by various community members dozens of times before and every time it met a strong objection from Evan. Why change it now after Darkcoin became a globally recognized brand and lots of major media outlets have written about it, and we are at top 5 in coinmarketcap. I am strongly against changing the name and especially changing it now. It is a bit risky decision and I think it can even backfire.

P.S. Obviously, we don't know the full story behind Evan's decision to bring up this name change issue. If the hidden part of the story is about a a billion dollar investor who is willing to invest in Darkcoin but demands a name change, then yes, lets change the name ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
If i'm not mistaken, it's already been decided from what Minotaur said here:
https://darkcointalk.org/threads/rebranding-and-scalability.4254/page-4#post-45118

And looks like Evan is working on it here: https://github.com/dashcoin-dsh?tab=activity
going to be "Dashcoin"?!!

I will not be surprised if the devs are leaving because they weren't discussed with. You think the foundation guys can do any coding for us???!!!
We will see this coin tank for sure.

c'mon, nobody is leaving anywhere. Especially when there is a billion dollar investor standing at the door :tongue:

Maybe we can use the Milton Friedman term Ecash...
I like it, at least a lot more than Dash. The question is, would the name available to use without significant confusion with or infringement on another brand?

Well, I'll give you a little bit to think about:

Imagine the day Evan re-brands Darkcoin to Dash, some evil entity, let's call her "Halle Berry", forks Darkcoin and calls it....Darkcoin !

What's gonna happen?

Bingo!

c'mon, nobody is leaving anywhere. Especially when there is a billion dollar investor standing at the door :tongue:
Ya, right.
I'm not against rebranding but I wish Evan had talked this over with all other devs and had come to a consensus because they're the ones that have been doing a lot of work to get Darkcoin where it is today, not those foundation guys unknown to this community!

I side with vertoe in this debate. Work on fundamentals first. Isn't the name good enough?

Imho this change could do a lot of harm to the community. Maybe the proposal alone already did cause some tension. And it's really fragile, and has to be trated carefully..

For God's sake, please think it through.

And Evan, a constructive criticism: if you decide to let the community vote, please do not act without waiting for them. This already happened once, and it feels terrible. If my boss asks for our opinion and we vouch for plan A yet he sides with plan B we feel way worse than not being asked at all...

Make no hasty decision. Many of us have huge (well, huge to me) investments in this coin, and huge emotional and time investment in the community. I'm very afraid this won't turn out well.

Despite my ramblings, I do entirely agree.

I don't get it. What is wrong with "Dark"? Since when "Dark" is a "bad" thing and why should we attach negative connotation to "dark"? Darkness and Light balances each other- just like matter and dark-matter and just like transparency/openness and privacy. If Dark is "bad" then light also should be equally 'bad". For some things in life we need transparency and for others we need to stay in the dark and stay private. That does not necessarily mean dark is criminal or illegal. It just means, my financial information is nobody's damn business.

Besides, this name issue have been brought up by various community members dozens of times before and every time it met a strong objection from Evan. Why change it now after Darkcoin became a globally recognized brand and lots of major media outlets have written about it, and we are at top 5 in coinmarketcap. I am strongly against changing the name and especially changing it now. I think it can even backfire.

P.S. Obviously, we don't know the full story behind Evan's decision to bring up this name change issue. If the hidden part of the story is about a a billion dollar investor who is willing to invest in Darkcoin but demands a name change, then yes, lets change the name ;)

Because Darkcoin, despite its, lets face it... mini flaws that need correcting, is becoming a potential candidate to rule crypto world. That, please correct me if I'm wrong, and following Satoshi's original intent, to empower the individual.

That means we (or any crypto out there) needs to hook up its technology into the mainframe of social infrastructure. Technology aside, your general "joe"'s daily life.
We can't do that with the name "dark" in there. However I love it!

And name changing does not mean we would stop correcting flaws... just attract more institutional, private and whatever investors, not just the techie guys and libertarians. General confidence from a "clean face" campaign can build a heck load of investor confidence, as masternode clearly exposed.

That can very quickly catapult our development team to a whole new level, while ALWAYS maintaining our ethics. One thing does not negate the other.

Besides, this name issue have been brought up by various community members dozens of times before and every time it met a strong objection from Evan. Why change it now after Darkcoin became a globally recognized brand and lots of major media outlets have written about it, and we are at top 5 in coinmarketcap. I am strongly against changing the name and especially changing it now. I think it can even backfire.

Light, the problem isn't with the word Dark. The problem is with individuals who are programed to think Dark = evil, bad, illegal. This is the majority and we need to think of a way to get them on board.

About adoption you are wrong, Evan wouldn't do this in a vacuum just because it is a theorized problem. We have received direct comments from potential partners (existing crypto services, merchants, exchanges, etc) were they liked the technology, but would consider adding DRK only if the name is changed. So basically changing the name does not guarantee we will be added on several places but it does open the possibility.
Who are these people who will graciously be considering adding DRK if the name is changed? Unless it's Amazon I don't see why we should be sucking up to them. And even then...

Hooray! Finally.. I believe I had a brief discussion with Evan and Co. About this a year ago. I've always believed as well as my close friends, and I'm on the record stating multiple times here and at the BCT that as a merchant... The name had to change. Many here do not operate brick and mortar business and don't see the reaction consumer had to when we tried to promote Darkcoin. I knew it was only matter of time and I was willing the wait for this day to come. Thanks Evan for taking that big step. Cheers people.

As someone who has become interested/obsessed with Darkcoin over the past few months, I agree that a rebranding would be in the best interest of the coin. I think it would help with adoption and the earlier it goes through this the better. Bringing up something called Darkcoin with people who have only heard of Bitcoin (and focus on the bad things) is pretty difficult. The technology and the development team behind it are what really matters and are what convinced me to join in. I like DASH, but I'm not completely sold on it just yet. I also like InstX or IX, but I don't think they're quite as good. There haven't been too many other suggestions yet though, so here are a few words that get certain ideas about the technology across in order to get some more discussion going about possible names.

Presto
Fleet
Spring
Advance - ADV
Dart
Defy

I think Advance or ADV is my favorite out of these. Defy could be good too though, and keeps the edgier attitude. They could both use the 'D' to keep things simpler too.

I like Presto. Currently that name is in use for making payments for buses, trains and streetcars in my little corner of the plant.

I really hope our devs are not going to leave because of this abrupt, sudden decision.

I REALLY HOPE EVAN IS LISTENING TO THE DEVS, PLEASE??!!!

GRUESOME DEATH AWAITS US ALL!!!!

Ahem, as a non-English speaker I can only say: pleaaaze. This topic has reached eight pages and nobody has even mentioned the obvious answer. Have you checked the number one source of witty comments aside from twitter?

Don't tread on me

My veredict is clear. Evan receives a grade of "satisfactory" as an agent provocateur in the rebranding category. Genius!

Many of us have huge (well, huge to me) investments in this coin, and huge emotional and time investment in the community. I'm very afraid this won't turn out well.

It is pleasant to see Evan thinking and acting like entrepreneur - not just like programmer (in contrary to many other coins).

Because if you are going to create successful project - you must forget what you like or dislike - you have to be oriented to what like or dislike majority of your potential clients.
This coin is created not for current users (developers, investors, traders, ...) - but for different people - mass sector.

If it is not obvious that "dash" is better than "darkcoin" - everybody can make his own research regarding this (find new people and try to "sell" them same project with different names and decide the most effective name).

GRUESOME DEATH AWAITS US ALL!!!!

Ahem, as a non-English speaker I can only say: pleaaaze. This topic has reached eight pages and nobody has even mentioned the obvious answer. Have you checked the number one source of witty comments aside from twitter?

Don't tread on me

My veredict is clear. Evan receives a grade of "satisfactory" as an agent provocateur in the rebranding category. Genius!

thats.. thats.. just nonsense :)
edit : oh, and i treaded on yr link, sorry about that

Light, the problem isn't with the word Dark. The problem is with individuals who are programed to think Dark = evil, bad, illegal. This is the majority and we need to think of a way to get them on board.

Again, couldn't agree more. I feel very conflicted, because I want a brave new world... but the truth is the long road looks more plausible under vertoe's point of view, for example, if we hit WW3 scenario like we sorta right now.

On the other hand, WW3 might not happen, and again, one thing does not negate the other. One thing does not negate another.

Dash can be used to pay stuff here and there...
Darkcoin (or DarkDash) can be used anonymously to buy a secret present on Valentine's and have it delivered (while at the same time empowering the needs of the oppressed, in any form or factor, anywhere in the world)
IX - Turbo charged micro tx, imagine a nice coffee by the beach

- futuristic 2nd tier MN illusions etc ...

Dash/Dark Messaging, Dash/DarkVideo, Dash/DarkStreaming, Dash/DarkCloud, Dash/Darknet

etc - we are at the forefront of all this!! This is civilisation changing stuff!!

We are digitally fungible! Anyone has a clue when fungibility first appeared on planet earth on version 1.0, and the impact it had to our advancement in civilisation?!

As much as it pains me, the connotation "dark" satisfies my rebellion, but "taints" the image of world I'd like to live in, and what got me into cryptos entirely.
Darkcoin right now is so much more than it name implies!

One thing does not negate another.

I'd like a better vote to be made.

1)People who are for a name change
2)People who are against a name change
3)People who are for a name change but think Dash is clearly the wrong choice.
4)People who don't really care but still think Dash is terrible.

I don't see why the "Darkcoin" name can't stay intact. I also don't see the downside of being the primary currency for the underground market. So what if Darkcoin is tied to those markets? That is a HUGE market, one that Darkcoin should do a better job capitalizing on.

I like it, at least a lot more than Dash. The question is, would the name available to use without significant confusion with or infringement on another brand?

It would have to be researched. What I like is how it immediately defines the Niche of Ecash. And allows us to seize our space and moat it with first movers advantage, this is critical in business (look it up anyone interested).

And if we are the first to directly use Milton Friedman (his face with the new logo underneath, words both written and spoken, etc...there is a huge resource on youtube at our disposal already) to advertise, then we create a moat protected by Milton Friedman himself, if we get the advertisement out there first and fast and hard, then we can create that link forever. Let Milton Friedman help make it famous by giving it his fame from the very beginning and then also by personifying it this way, attacks against Darkcoin will come off as attacks against Milton Friedmans financial expertise and vision. Expertise which no one can really compare against right now, which gives us an immediate advantage against any conflicting ideology... How perfect, we have the best financial expert Mr. Friedman on record....

We need to use the tail winds and make them ours, lets make Milton Friedman the face of Ecash. I'm sure he would be enchanted to help out. We wont have to pay any celebrities to do commercials for us, plus, we get the celebrity that matters to financial experts, imagine that turning the game into a game where they have to spend their time criticizing Milton's Friedmans vision of the future, which has already happened and is already happening, it will make them look ridiculous, like dinosaurs or sudden ''better than Milton Friedman experts'', btw what do they do? How come we never heard their name? Darkcoin.... Ecash :) Its like a present from the past.

Back