• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Enhanced Darkcoin Wallet UI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
My hope :
- Official News
- official vote form
- personnal MN info (its a part of DRK) + global MN info
- Multi wallet ( "drkkey.dat" or "drkmane.dat) . we can do alot more with that.
- custom alert by email
- IRC
- custom page with url, login and pass. (for p2pool, phpminer ....)
- paperwallet generator
- all protected by one pass word
- mobile version on USB key (windows linux mac android)
- vm version for KVM, xen, ...
when you have a good list, a vote can be cool.

Holy crap... I was sitting here and I just had an "ah ha" moment! One of the biggest issues with the widespread adoption of digital currencies is that it involves math... math that the average user can't even come close to doing in their head. Nobody has a clue what 0.00234507 bitcoins are worth, yet every time they go to use their wallet I guanantee the average user is either trying to figure out how many bitcoin they need to send to pay their buddy $17.50 back for dinner, or they're trying to figure out what the 0.237 bitcoins that the shopping website they are on is worth in their local currency. The whole thing is not intuitive, requires a calculator 99% of the time, and is a poor user experience. Even if the user has a sense of what a bitcoin or darkcoin is worth, the exchange rate constantly changes anyway.

Since we are importing the exchange data into the wallet, why not use that data to let the user CHOOSE to enter their transaction into the wallet in either DRK or their local currency. So I could send $17.50 to my friend and the wallet will calculate the DRK for me and I hit "send". That is an exponentially better user experience. If on the other hand, I want to send DRK denominated transaction (e.g., 1000 DRK to my masternode wallet address) I can enter that too.

You could even allow users to enter an amount in bitcoin (or any other crypto-currency the wallet monitors) and pay in DRK.

Can't believe I didn't think of this sooner! Sometimes it helps to just put yourself into the shoes of the consumer and think about how they would like to use it. Does anyone know of any other wallet with this feature? This could be a huge differentiator for us!

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crap... I was sitting here and I just had an "ah ha" moment! One of the biggest issues with the widespread adoption of digital currencies is that it involves math... math that the average user can't even come close to doing in their head. Nobody has a clue what 0.00234507 bitcoins are worth, yet every time they go to use their wallet I guanantee the average user is either trying to figure out how many bitcoin they need to send to pay their buddy $17.50 back for dinner, or they're trying to figure out what the 0.237 bitcoins that the shopping website they are on is worth in their local currency. The whole thing is not intuitive, requires a calculator 99% of the time, and is a poor user experience. Even if the user has a sense of what a bitcoin or darkcoin is worth, the exchange rate constantly changes anyway.

Since we are importing the exchange data into the wallet, why not use that data to let the user CHOOSE to enter their transaction into the wallet in either DRK or their local currency. So I could send $17.50 to my friend and the wallet will calculate the DRK for me and I hit "send". That is an exponentially better user experience. If on the other hand, I want to send DRK denominated transaction (e.g., 1000 DRK to my masternode wallet address) I can enter that too.

You could even allow users to enter an amount in bitcoin (or any other crypto-currency the wallet monitors) and pay in DRK.

Can't believe I didn't think of this sooner! Sometimes it helps to just put yourself into the shoes of the consumer and think about how they would like to use it. Does anyone know of any other wallet with this feature? This could be a huge differentiator for us!
blockchain.info does the btc/ fiat conversion very well in their online wallet, super easy, we should copy. And also look to them for other ideas, They've got to be the most widely used wallet by noobs out there, and just generally. Dogecoin wallets are fun to use, happy ux every time; good examples

Translation options seem logical. Has this been said?
Add Mandarin Chinese language options please, xia xia. Add the flags on top and when clicked, the language changes. simple and easy to use for non-english speakers.
Asia is really really important in this. How can they participate with an all English wallet?
China is the one buying most bitcoin, We need to show them love. like Red-Shinobi said.
I like the DRK/fiat idea only in USD or EUR or YUAN is logical next step to engage Europe and Asia.

Translation options seem logical. Has this been said?
Add Mandarin Chinese language options please, xia xia. Add the flags on top and when clicked, the language changes. simple and easy to use for non-english speakers.
Asia is really really important in this. How can they participate with an all English wallet?
China is the one buying most bitcoin, We need to show them love. like Red-Shinobi said.
I like the DRK/fiat idea only in USD or EUR or YUAN is logical next step to engage Europe and Asia.
/\ This would push DRK over the edge. Right into the dark side of the moon.

A translator should also be found to translate updates and whitepapers. Although I suspect that someone who speaks multiple languages and creates a service will undoubtedly do something similar to take advantage of multiple markets.

@ raze:
This will probably be quite pleasing to hear... Minotaur is helping me with the actual artwork/layout side of this project, and I pointed him to your concept mock-up. We like it very, very much. So much, in fact, that we would like to employ your help on this project and invite you into the official discussion of it. I would've already extended the invite to you, but I don't know how to do it... I don't see an "Invite User" button or anything anywhere. Hopefully I can figure it out or someone else will beat me to it! :D

LittleFinger, you got me excited. We should go a step further and add the top ten most spoken languages in the world.
1. Mandrian 1b+
2. English 508m
3. Hindustani 497m (Most of India)
4. Spanish 392m
5. Russian 277m
6. Arabic 246m
7. Bengali 211m (Bangladesh)
8. Portuguese 191m (Brazil)
9. Malay-Indonesian 159m (Indonesia is has over 13,000 islands. sixth most populated country in the world)
10. French 129m
http://listverse.com/2008/06/26/top-10-most-spoken-languages-in-the-world/

LittleFinger, you got me excited. We should go a step further and add the top ten most spoken languages in the world.
1. Mandrian 1b+
2. English 508m
4. Spanish 392m
5. Russian 277m
6. Arabic 246m
7. Bengali 211m
8. Portuguese 191
9. Malay-Indonesian 159m
10. French 129m

I wonder how someone would go about getting things translated. It would be great to give them a packet of source material and have them translate it, and just to be careful, use a second party to confirm.

I think once they finish the wallet, we should discuss it more, and if possible I can get a hold of some people who may translate for a decent price.

1. Mandrian 1b+
2. English 508m
4. Spanish 392m
5. Russian 277m
6. Arabic 246m
7. Bengali 211m (Bangladesh)
8. Portuguese 191m (Brazil)
9. Malay-Indonesian 159m (Indonesia is has over 13,000 islands. sixth most populated country in the world)
10. French 129m

Correction: We should focus on the Top 10 languages most commonly spoken by computer and internet users. :wink:

I know what you mean DRKLord. German accounts for 1.3% of the world but 20%-30% articles are published in German in recent years.
Also i am reading this http://www.translatemedia.com/translation-blog/8-tips-successful-digital-marketing-china/
"In China, if you don’t offer a mobile or responsive website you’re going to be placed at a huge disadvantage as 81% of Chinese internet users access the Internet using a mobile device. Furthermore, according to PwC, 70% of smartphone users in China used their devices to make purchases at least once a week – double the rate of US customers.

Apps are also a key component to any mobile marketing in China. Chinese users download an average of 40 apps a year, more than any other country. Apps are also a great way to collect data from Chinese customers and a staggering 98% of Chinese consumers are happy to share personal data if they are able to receive relevant, targeted advertising.

However, you need to ensure that you don’t charge users to use your app to increase success. Over 90% of apps downloaded in China are free to download and use."

and I wonder who has Darkcoin.cn :eek: http://www.whois.net/whois/darkcoin.cn

Never mind that last part. Darkcoin has plenty of Chinese domains like darkcoin.在线 (china online) darkcoin.移动 (.mobi ) darkcoin.cn.com darkcoin.xyz. So, more good news.
Sorry for harping on about China in the wallet discussion but watch http://fiatleak.com/ They matter most!

We could have language packs so that anybody could make and share it's translation easily

Yes. I'm not sure how it's done on Linux and Mac but on Windows projects it's actually pretty easy to "globalize" your software. On a few major C#/.NET projects I've done in recent years I would simply create a DLL to serve as a language resource package. When the application launched it would check the Thread.CurrentCulture property of the main thread and load the appropriate strings and text files for the user's native language. I imagine a similar, cross-platform solution could be implemented for the Darkcoin software as well. The tough part will be getting everything properly translated and compiling a working language database.

Regards,

The DRK Lord

Yes. I'm not sure how it's done on Linux and Mac but on Windows projects it's actually pretty easy to "globalize" your software. On a few major C#/.NET projects I've done in recent years I would simply create a DLL to serve as a language resource package. When the application launched it would check the Thread.CurrentCulture property of the main thread and load the appropriate strings and text files for the user's native language. I imagine a similar, cross-platform solution could be implemented for the Darkcoin software as well. The tough part will be getting everything properly translated and compiling a working language database.

Regards,

The DRK Lord
You can use GNU gettext for localization, it is cross platform and widely used.

Another mockup. Tried for something a bit cleaner and brighter than my last one:
7hXSkpP.jpg

Much nicer, my main critique would be diagonal arrows in the recent transactions - I've never found these intuitive, perhaps some reworking of the existing into-box and out-of-box type symbols would be make it more immediately visually obvious to linear old farts like me which direction stuff was headed in. edit: or just + and - symbols, nice and simple?

This is starting to look like different 'skins'. I personally would pick the original ... hell, the first think I do on a windows machine is load the classic. hate tella tubby look.

Another mockup. Tried for something a bit cleaner and brighter than my last one:
7hXSkpP.jpg

This looks really good, raze! +2 thumbs up for your work! :)

I'd like to re-arrange some stuff and change the layout a bit, but I really think you're onto something here. The colors and visuals definitely look fantastic. I would want to see the incoming/outgoing transaction arrow icons changed to something more intuitive, as someone else suggested, but I love the mining icon. The overall feel of your design is great, and I think you and Minotaur can make some really awesome artwork when you put your heads together!

While you guys are working on the artwork, I'm going to be working on getting my code cleaned up and organized and ready for this implementation. And I'll be sketching out and trying some different layouts and configurations. Do you think you could send me some copies of your mock-up and the individual components (e.g., background image, buttons, icons, etc)?

Regards,

The DRK Lord

This is starting to look like different 'skins'. I personally would pick the original ... hell, the first think I do on a windows machine is load the classic. hate tella tubby look.

You're not the only person who likes the basic/classic look best. I don't think it would be very hard to include an option to switch between a "classic" and "enhanced" theme. That way you and those who like the "plain Jane" version of the wallet can use the classic look, and everyone else can use the enhanced UI. They would be the same and offer all the same extended features, and would only differ in visual appearance...

Regards,

The DRK Lord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back