• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Women In Blockchain Series, with Naomi Brockwell

NaomiBrockwell

Hi all!
Since the start of this year I went part time as a producer for John Stossel to focus on building up my own blockchain/tech show, and have been SUPER happy with the engagement and growth since then :)
I focus on awesome projects going on in the blockchain/tech spaces, and I have just started developing some in-depth 3-12 part series on specific topics.

At Porcfest I was developing the idea of a "Women in Blockchain" series with some Dash friends, who suggested it might be something that I could do in partnership with Dash:
"Women in Blockchain", powered by Dash.

Please let me know what you would like to see from such a series! I have already compiled a list of women to interview, would love suggestions on that front, any other suggestions of things you'd like to see from such a series, and if you think this is something that the Dash community might like to get involved it :)

Naomi
xo

@NaomiBrockwell -- Thanks for bringing this idea to the table. With the dips in the market over the last few months, the voting Masternode Owners tend to be a bit more scrutinizing regarding which projects we fund, so projects that don't provide a more obvious ROI will likely have a hard time finding funding until the market recovers. That being said, I think this is a great project idea that addresses a particular failing of this industry to be inclusive. Many other fields have made great strides in inclusivity and diversity, but the same has not proven true for cryptocurrency for the most part. That seems to be starting to change, thankfully, over the last few years, but we've still got a long way to go, so I think projects like this are a fantastic way to get more women interested in this field and inspired to pursue it further. Dash in particular has quite a few women that have factored prominently in to its community as both leaders and educators, so we'd definitely be an ideal partner for this sort of project. If we see a market upturn and have more room for projects that don't directly relate to development/integration-related costs, I think you'll find many supporters for this project.

I love this idea, it's great how initiatives like this start from physical events like conferences rather than online. You should check out the #women-of-dash channel on Discord at www.dashchat.org, I'm sure you'll find a lot of interesting women for interviews there!

I think it will be of great opportunity for Dash. But can you give a brief elaboration of what this project will be?
I'm currently putting together a bunch of different series, the point of each is to be a go-to place for people who want more substantive information about a particular topic.

I'm looking for currencies/companies to partner with on each series, and Dash seems like a natural fit for a women in Blockchain series because it probably has the best community of any of the crypto currencies.

I get a lot of people asking if they can pay for interviews with me, but I have a lot of reservations about that -- individually sponsored episodes can come across just as paid advertising. Sponsoring a larger series seems like more quality exposure, as it puts a project front-and-center of a larger, more substantive piece that covers a whole genre, and positions the sponsor as the major player in this field. The series then becomes a useful resource that the company has provided for people wanting to learn more about this topic.

One example of an approach could be:
"Women in Blockchain", powered by Dash

Dash logo in the intros, outros, and Dash watermark on every video, as well as Dash being highlighted in the series with an interview of either a developer or someone who uses Dash in their everyday life.

I hope to interview around 6-8 awesome women in blockchain for the series. I will ask them about blockchain, the economics of cryptocurrencies, the battle of regulation across the world, the new tech being created in the blockchain industry, and how traditional financing and VCs have been shaken up with the advent of ICOs. We'll discuss their projects, and how they first got involved in the space etc.

The depth/quality of the series ultimately depends on budget an how much time I can spend, but I would want it to be a really high quality series where I visit these people in person and get an insight into their day-to-day lives.

@NaomiBrockwell -- Thanks for bringing this idea to the table. With the dips in the market over the last few months, the voting Masternode Owners tend to be a bit more scrutinizing regarding which projects we fund, so projects that don't provide a more obvious ROI will likely have a hard time finding funding until the market recovers. That being said, I think this is a great project idea that addresses a particular failing of this industry to be inclusive. Many other fields have made great strides in inclusivity and diversity, but the same has not proven true for cryptocurrency for the most part. That seems to be starting to change, thankfully, over the last few years, but we've still got a long way to go, so I think projects like this are a fantastic way to get more women interested in this field and inspired to pursue it further. Dash in particular has quite a few women that have factored prominently in to its community as both leaders and educators, so we'd definitely be an ideal partner for this sort of project. If we see a market upturn and have more room for projects that don't directly relate to development/integration-related costs, I think you'll find many supporters for this project.
This is definitely important to think about. I know Dash is overwhelmed with media proposals, and obviously with a dip in the market you want to prioritize to make sure that all the tech side is covered. Good marketing may be able to help bring Dash out of the dip, but it's usually not so simple!
I agree, Dash would be my first choice for partnering on this topic because many women already come to mind who are prominently involved. So you would suggest waiting for a market recovery before submitting a proposal because you don't think the chances are high right now?

I support this proposal. IMO, Naomi is really fun and a great host; see
for an example.
Thanks, I appreciate that :) I've put emceeing on hold for a little while to get through the backlog of footage I've already shot and still haven't edited, and have tried to release content every day. It's hard being a 1-person team though!

I love this idea, it's great how initiatives like this start from physical events like conferences rather than online. You should check out the #women-of-dash channel on Discord at www.dashchat.org, I'm sure you'll find a lot of interesting women for interviews there!
I'll check that out for sure, thanks!
Yeah I'm lucky to emcee so many conferences, because there are always awesome people around to interview in person. And there's something about a live interview that really increases the energy, I'd love to do as much of that as possible.

I'll check that out for sure, thanks!
Yeah I'm lucky to emcee so many conferences, because there are always awesome people around to interview in person. And there's something about a live interview that really increases the energy, I'd love to do as much of that as possible.
Are you open to doing 3-5 minute videos about Dash topics now and then? I’m starting a new Dash news magazine called Dash Decentral, and could use all the talent to contribute to it as possible. LMK.

Are you open to doing 3-5 minute videos about Dash topics now and then? I’m starting a new Dash news magazine called Dash Decentral, and could use all the talent to contribute to it as possible. LMK.
I do interviews about Dash every week, and live speaking gigs about dash at least once a month, and in my HardFork updates I always talk about dash. I would love to do more videos about Dash, it's just a matter of prioritizing videos that are sponsored or just fall into my lap at the moment. Let me know how I could help re the magazine though, if I have the bandwidth I'm keen for sure. Send me an email with more details? (naomibrockwell.com)

I do interviews about Dash every week, and live speaking gigs about dash at least once a month, and in my HardFork updates I always talk about dash. I would love to do more videos about Dash, it's just a matter of prioritizing videos that are sponsored or just fall into my lap at the moment. Let me know how I could help re the magazine though, if I have the bandwidth I'm keen for sure. Send me an email with more details? (naomibrockwell.com)
You got it. I’m going to make a master post about it soon, it’s going to be pretty cool, and use the power of the talent we have in Dash Nation. I’ll keep you posted, and good luck with this proposal!

@amanda_b_johnson has made great contributions to the crypto-sphere. As a germanic-afro-cherokee-irish-american, I would be curious what minority groups you claim, @demo. It seems clear to me that you are demonstrating certain levels of entitlement and mistrust in your comments, generally, which tends to be evocative of privileged status and a condescending mindset.

@amanda_b_johnson has made great contributions to the crypto-sphere. As a germanic-afro-cherokee-irish-american, I would be curious what minority groups you claim, @demo. It seems clear to me that you are demonstrating certain levels of entitlement and mistrust in your comments, generally, which tends to be evocative of privileged status and a condescending mindset.

Ask @amanda_b_johnson what she means.
She is a native english speaker, and can explain better than me.
I am not a native english speaker, but I think I understand what she means, thats why I quoted her.
amanda_b_johnson said:
#Female. Not handicapped.

I definitely understand this sentiment. Here is a video of an all-women panel that I hosted a few weeks ago:

I was the moderator and the 3 panelists were all women. I didn't ask any questions like "So what is it like to be a women in the space?" "what barriers have you faced as a woman?"

That is not what this series is meant to be, it is not about addressing issues faced by women in the blockchain space, or making a commentary about women in the space. It's simply acknowledging that sometimes women feel more comfortable getting information from other women. Providing a series that features strong women in the space could encourage other women to be more comfortable getting involved. I think that's worth exploring.

Back