• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Will mining Dash become profitable again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A difficulty jump, currently, of 52 million and 86 million is the difference between mining 32 DASH in one year and 13 DASH in one year with 150 GH/s (thats 10 antminer D3s). Get real, the emissions are busted for anyone mining this garbage algorithm. You really think solving that issue is going to break the DASH bank? LOL, at least IF we introduced more liquidity into the market by selling off all of our DASH, it'd be doing you a hella a lot more favors than your artificial restriction of supply.
So we need to generate block faster then one every 2.5 mins or we should increase the block reward so we can increase inflation? If these changes cause the price of dash to go down further should we then increase output more to ensure a miner roi?

So we need to generate block faster then one every 2.5 mins or we should increase the block reward so we can increase inflation? If these changes cause the price of dash to go down further should we then increase output more to ensure a miner roi?

There are other ways you can increase reward without altering block generation, such as transaction fee increase or a slider rule to determine MNO payout (which is completely contingent of someone mining the network, btw) much like miners have difficulties set OR higher rewards per block mined.

And again, short term is not the objective here, but long term. I've looked at your example weeks ago about the negative ROI that affected the Bitcoin community after the release of the ASICs around Sept 2013, but even then, people were still mining thousands of Bitcoins per year with similar setups in DASH that are mining:

Take a look - in this example, I used difficulty that could be found in October 2013 and 10 BM1380 chips which constitute 2.8 GH/s each to a total of 28GH/s (Price set at 10,000 chips for 99.9 BTC (avg q4 2013 valuation of Bitcoin @ $1000 = 10 dollars per chip)

upload_2017-12-9_10-1-35.png

Now don't pay attention to profits, but the BTC coins output - negative ROI in 2013 based on Bitcoin's price? Maybe. But at least they had something to look forward to by mining so many Bitcoins in the years to come. Now, we have $1500 machines, THE MOST price and electric efficient to date, and it can't even give back a fraction of its profitability. And you can split the argument in anyway you want, the emissions of Bitcoin made everyone want to mine it, regardless of the negative ROI one would have to invest to get some profitability back. This is with a total of 28 GH/s and a difficulty of 390 Million by the way, so explain why DASH has to suffer through less ROI than that for its miners at a fraction of the difficulty (86M) and 5 times higher hashrates (170GH/s @ 10 Antminers)

I have been following Dash for a while and in the beginning was planning on fulfilling the requirements of becoming a MNO and not by mining the amount but by purchasing with fiat. I decided to hold off and purchase D3s before taking a large investment. Testing the waters so to speak. Now as many I have found that mining just Dash is not profitable. Other ways to make a profit with the D3 such as multi pool mining the X11 algorithm coins. I am a business owner of 3 companies spanning from a sports bar, insurance and a security company.

I by no means claim to be an expert on Dash. I do claim to be very good at business in general. After reading the forums I have come to the conclusion that there are a few solutions as mentioned in previous posts. But the way Dash was set with MNO. Its not in the interest to follow some of the ideas. I have always listened to my clients and at times moved on the information gathered. I do not see this in Dash. The problem I see is the NWO are not interested in the community and are for the gains they can obtain. Its a sinking ship if things do not support the community. MWO will squeeze until its dry then sell off and move on. In the MNO defense, as crude as it sounds. Definition of business is to gain as much profit as possible. Can you blame them?

Every time someone brings up bitcoin and forks. MNO shot it down like bitcoin is flawed. That is bad. Bitcoin has passed hurdles and have kept the community behind them. I would love to see MNO of Dash get behind its community but do not see that in the future. By this statement I do not mean all MNO but some will not look at lower profits now to gain 2 fold in the future.

I hope the best for Dash. Feel free to bash, tough skin here.

Nobody said that hardforks are bad per se. Dash had a hardfork recently, when block size was raised to 2 MB.
Contentious hard forks are the ones that are not good and Bitcoin had a number of those.

Dear Mr. Checkerama,

"Because I was just like you - head up in the clouds, thinking governance actually meant something for a digitial currency. Turns out, it just creates a system full of greedy owners who think they understand the best plan of action to see a currency to success when, in reality, theyre just looking for the same thing everyone else is - short term profits."

So you are critical of Masternode owners for wanting short term profits, but your whole diatribe is directed at getting short term profits for miners. And frankly, you have no idea what my motivations are as a masternode owner, or the motivations of any other masternode owner, so please stop attributing things to me/us that are purely speculative.

"You seem to think you're immune to this rule for some reason, as you sit with retarded ROIs on a failing currency that codepends on other people being interested in achieving the same end of owning a MN and only ever sees success when everyone else is panicking about REAL DECENTRALIZED cryptocurrencies, and the lack of liquidity holding up prices once in a while. You don't care about its future, so you can get off the high horse."

"retarded ROIs" Again, you attack Masternodes because they are profitable, yet you want more profit as a miner.
"failing currency" Objectively not true, and no matter how many how many times you assert it, it is still not true.
"REAL DECENTRALIZED cryptocurrencies" Sorry, I see no panic in the Dash community, and Dash is plenty decentralized.
"lack of liquidity holding up prices" You are claiming that having a stable price, and reducing downward volatility is a bad thing? It is not.
"You don't care about its future..." Again, asserting it does not make it so. I, and many other MasterNode owners care deeply and for many reasons regarding the future success of Dash.

"You get to vote on a slush fund that you literally had no input in creating."

And if you mine Dash, you are mining on a project that you literally had no input in creating. Also, there are some Dash devs who literally did help create the project and now own and operate MasterNodes, so your statement is once again demonstrably untrue. And it's not a slush fund, it's a development fund to pay our devs, our marketing, our outreach programs, etc.

"You vote for things because prices will rise, not because DASH is going to be a better, more robust currency, or because you think its necessary for a greater audience; you THINK you do, which is the funniest part, but clearly have no concept of audience retention when making these votes. Instead, you take money that you've never created and throw it to increase your own ROIs, create headlines and hype news to get a pump going on your money."

Again, you assert thing that are simply not in evidence. I invested in Dash very specifically because I believed in Satoshi's original vision of providing honest money to people that have been abused by their own governments. And then you assert a bunch of other stuff you can't possibly know. I assert that you have green hair and 3 legs. Did it work?

"Can someone explain why it was important to spend $600,000 on a Zimbabwe project when half of the population doesn't even have electricity? Because it wasn't about doing anything over there, it was simply about creating a nice headline for the next pump. But yeah, miners are being greedy for asking for a positive ROI and higher emissions for the long-term sustainability of the DASH network's hashrate LOL."

Where to even start...
1. You assert that since Zimbabwe is not fully electrified, we should not bother to help them. I assert that they are the ones that most need honest money to get their economy back on track.
2. Even assuming your assertion is true, that means the other half does have electricity. That's 8 million people in desperate need of better currency. Perfect use case for Dash.
3. You assert that we do this only for the marketing value. Again, asserting it does not make it so, because it is not so. In my experience the Dash community wants to make a real difference in the world.
4. Please show me where I have accused any miner of being greedy. A few vocal miners are in fact being unrealistic about what can be changed in the Dash ecosystem.

And I would note that you once again failed to answer my question. So, have you ever seen the warning, "All crypto is risky. Do not invest any more money than you can afford to lose." If you have not seen it, you have been actively avoiding it somehow. And if you have seen it, why did you think it would not apply to you?

You somewhat remind me of RGXDK. Determined, but mistaken.

Last edited:
Hi all, I throw myself into this discussion since i've ordered two D3 machines yesterday. I thought I read about DASH and the value went up quite neat today. But are you telling us/community that starting mining DASH now is worthless? Just so I know, my order can be cancelled.

Hi all, I throw myself into this discussion since i've ordered two D3 machines yesterday. I thought I read about DASH and the value went up quite neat today. But are you telling us/community that starting mining DASH now is worthless? Just so I know, my order can be cancelled.

Unless you have almost free electricity, it is unlikely you can mine Dash profitably as a solo operator. If you had the machines in your possession already (stuck with them), you could likely get your investment back if you hold the Dash for 4-6 months while the value goes up, but then you are no better off than if you just went out and bought the Dash at an exchange.

Unless you have almost free electricity, it is unlikely you can mine Dash profitably as a solo operator. If you had the machines in your possession already (stuck with them), you could likely get your investment back if you hold the Dash for 4-6 months while the value goes up, but then you are no better off than if you just went out and bought the Dash at an exchange.

Well, i do have free electricity but if i rather buy coins for same amount, it might be better. Thanks for reply

If I have the knowledge to fork this Dash ill do it! and I'll probably be loved by Dash Miners. Dash followers will move to the new Dash Fork with a better longevity mining and payment system.

I think I discovered some hints on how to hard fork Dash.

Who wants to prepare the hard fork for this? It is not that hard to implement a wallet confiscation, it just requires the majority of the masternodes to reject the original blockchain and to upload an alternative hard_forked blockchain which does not contain the richest wallet in it. You can find the latest original blockchain here and you can experiment in order to find out how to confiscate money from wallets. Who wants to propose a confiscation of the richest wallet into the budget system? You should propose this just one day before the monthly budget finalization (in order for the richest wallet not to be able to react).

I have been following this thread for a while - this looks interesting for those with unprofitable D3's....... I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

"Commission and transaction speed within the Bitcoin network has reached extraordinary values. It is almost impossible to use it as a means of payment. Our team will carry out the Bitcoin hard fork, which was planned for mid-November. At the same time, trading of its futures has been carried out on some exchanges for a long time. HitBTC is among them. I promise that all BTC holders will receive not only B2X in the ratio of 1 to 1, but also a proportional number of Satoshi Nakamoto`s Bitcoins as a reward for their commitment to progress."

Jaap Terlouw, Founder of the project

The main advantages of SegWit2X :

1. Encryption algorithm X11 using;
2. High block extraction rate - 2,5 min;
3. Сomplexity сhanging after each block;
4. Increase block size up to 4 mb;
5. Replay Protection;
6. Unique address format.

Сhanges to the SegWit2X network are already planned:

- Offline codes;
- Lightning Network;
- Smart contracts;
- ZkSnark;
- Anonymous transactions.

I'm in !

I'll bring 32GH/s to the party.
OK, it's not much nowadays, but if we all pool together we can bring Dash down.

We are the Miners !

I'm in !

I'll bring 32GH/s to the party.
OK, it's not much nowadays, but if we all pool together we can bring Dash down.

We are the Miners !

Can someone describe the plan? What are you supposed to do, in order all to pool together?

Is it not already profitable? please explain I'm new to this forum and Dash

It can be profitable if:

1. You have a fast, new efficient ASIC machine of some kind.
2. You have cheap or free electricity to run the efficient ASIC machine
3. You do not sell all your Dash right when you mine it. Then, 6 months later (as an example) if the Dash price doubles, then your mining just got far more profitable. If the price of Dash goes down (which is possible) then your mining operation becomes less and less profitable.

Older, less efficient machines, and/or normal retail prices for electricity? It would be cheaper to just buy the Dash than burn the all the electricity to make a Dash.

Is it not already profitable? please explain I'm new to this forum and Dash

There's a benefit-to-cost ratio associated with mining anything in general.

When it is said that it is "unprofitable" to mine, its mostly related to current prices and current DASH difficulty makes the benefit-to-cost non-existent. So technically yes, its TECHNICALLY profitable to mine DASH, but after the costs are put in, youre probably making 2-3 dollars a day for each ASIC miner you add into the system in comparison to other ASICs which would make you, after costs, 20-30 dollars a day.

This isn't unique to DASH either, its the entire x11 algorithm suite. The bottom of the profitability barrel is all x11 coins. I've written an article explaining the math behind it:

https://medium.com/@checkerama/high...11-algorithm-on-the-dash-network-f48533a5e6fe

upload_2018-1-6_16-17-6.png

upload_2018-1-6_16-16-39.png

Source:

https://whattomine.com/asic?utf8=✓&...hanges][]=yobit&dataset=Main&commit=Calculate

The Dash team might think they have won this round, but the Game is far from over.
Miners are an integral part of the Crypto landscape.
Threat them like shit and they will desert you for ever.

One thing is certain.
There will be no more production or investment in X11 mining hardware.
Nobody is going to develop new asic's for a dead market.
With that, Dash is dead in the water.
It will be stuck with whatever hashing power is out there today, and it will need to fight for its share with the other x11 coins out there, many of which will be more profitable for them than Dash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back