• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

TAO'S MASTERNODE SETUP GUIDE FOR DUMMIES (UPDATE GUIDE UPDATED FOR 13.0)

Tao, I have a problem. I made the dash.conf file and have it in my /.dash directory. But when I try to start Dash-QT it says 'Invalid -masternodeaddr address: 'my address that hold 1000 drk'. Has anyone experienced this error? I am basically at the second to last section of you guide. I have my dashd running on a vultr server with a dash.conf that has the same masternode private key connected to this address. Anyone know a solution ?

Tao, I have a problem. I made the dash.conf file and have it in my /.dash directory. But when I try to start Dash-QT it says 'Invalid -masternodeaddr address: 'my address that hold 1000 drk'. Has anyone experienced this error? I am basically at the second to last section of you guide. I have my dashd running on a vultr server with a dash.conf that has the same masternode private key connected to this address. Anyone know a solution ?

Did you send a transaction with EXACTLY 1000 DASH to this address?

Check your dash.conf again pls.
Note that masternodeaddr is in format IP:port, not drk/dash address. Here is a quote from the guide:
Back on your Windows PC, you need to tie it all together, and get on with your life of Masternode payments....

Remember the dash.conf file you and Joe :cool: created on your VPS? You need to create the same file on your Windows PC, only it looks a little different.

Save the notepad file you created earlier.

Open a NEW notepad file, and copy/paste the following into it:

-----
rpcuser=RANDOMSTRINGOFNUMBERSANDLETTERS
rpcpassword=LONGERRANDOMSTRINGOFNUMBERSANDLETTERSHAVEFUN
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
listen=0
server=1
daemon=1
logtimestamps=1
addnode=23.23.186.131
masternode=1
masternodeprivkey=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
masternodeaddr=YYYYYYYYYYYYYY:9999
-----

Customize this file by replacing the rpcuser, rpcpassword, masternodeprivkey, and masternodeaddr.

Please note: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX is your now familiar Masternode keystring, and YYYYYYYYYYY is your IP for your VPS on the Linux server. (ex. 104.65.395.4) The port is always 9999 for mainnet, leave this the same.

I've double checked that the masternodeprivkey in the dash.conf file on the vps is correct. Have also double checked that the masternode.conf file has the ip of my vps and the private key and the transaction has from the transaction.

The guide says that rpcuser and rpcpassword can be random, but must they be the same for my local wallet and the dashd on the vps?

Or could the address I sent the 1000 Dash too not be a masternode address?

I did exactly like the instructions:

masternode genkey

get accounaddress 0

Then sent to that address...

I deleted everything in the dash.conf file on my local wallet. So, leaving only the only the masternode.conf file. This allows me to start DashQT. But now when I run masternode start 'mypassoword' I get this response:

You must set masternode=1 in the configuration.

But then if I close DashQT and edit the dash.conf file to have 'masternode=1' I get this error:

You must specify a masternodeprivkey in the configuration.

If I then add the the masternodeprivkey in the configuration when I try to 'maternode start' I get...

'Not capable masternode: Can't detect external address. Please use the masternodeaddr configuration option.

So this leads me to think that my dashd and dash.conf are not configured correctly on the vps. Even though when I ./dash-cli get info I am at the most recent block.

The only thing I did different than the guide (because I am not using windows) was using 'wget' on the vps to download the dash.tar from the website. I put a dash.conf file in that directory as well as the .dash directory in my home folder (since I didn't know where to put it.)

Last edited by a moderator:
when you use the masternode.conf on local you should use the command
masternode start-many password

or better unlock you wallet first and then: masternode start-many

masternode start - is only for the dash.conf single (old) way to do it....

Hi, yes I have it as address:port and the port is 9999. And the address has exactly 1000 Dash.
Again. Please read the quote from the guide above. Address should be IP address, like 10.120.11.10 etc, and not the dash address that holds your 1000 dash.
"Invalid -masternodeaddr address..." message can only appear when IP address doesn't match IP format.

Have also double checked that the masternode.conf file has the ip of my vps and the private key and the transaction has from the transaction.
I deleted everything in the dash.conf file on my local wallet. So, leaving only the only the masternode.conf file. This allows me to start DashQT.
But now when I run masternode start 'mypassoword' I get this response:
Wait a minute. This guide is not about how to setup a masternode using masternode.conf, it's about how to setup things using local dash.conf (masternodeaddr, masternodeprivkey etc). You should either use one or another, do not mix guides/steps.

I would recommend to stick to the masternode.conf way of setting things up (i.e. all your masternode settings on local machine should be in masternode.conf only) but you should use start-many or start-alias commands instead of start.

Thanks splawik :smile:. The only thing that fixed the problem was using start-many! So, now that this node is up and running, where can find information about proposals and voting? Via command-line would be more preferable than having to register to a site like Dashwhale...

And UdginM6, believe me I did not want to edit the dash.conf file for my local wallet, but I couldn't even open up DashQT (this is on Ubuntu 15.10) unless I added those variables into the .conf file.

Vultr is excellent. But i have found a cheaper vps with 1GB memory 10GB disk and unlimited traffic (can be used also for proxy)
check the LC1 vps at dedimax ;)

I'm sorry if this is listed in this thread, can I ask the average amount of DASH a masternode makes in a day? I looked through the thread and maybe I missed it but I don't see anything regarding that

Hi Guys, anyone can explain how PoS rewards me? If i run a masternode do i need to mine with GPU/CPU to get that 10%? How can i calculate precise profits from running 1000K DASH masternode making assumption the price is as today? Please advise me, I am considering to move into DASH community to support the ecosystem and make investment into masternode set-up.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Guys, anyone can explain how PoS rewards me? If i run a masternode do i need to mine with GPU/CPU to get that 10%? How can i calculate precise profits from running 1000K DASH masternode making assumption the price is as today? Please advise me, I am considering to move into DASH community to support the ecosystem and make investment into masternode set-up.

Thanks in advance!

masternodes have nothing to do with mining

general block reward in dash
45% miners , 45% masternodes , 10% funding
you need 1k Dash to run a masternode , payout per day (as of today) 0.32 Dash per day
http://178.254.18.153/~pub/Dash/masternode_payments_stats.html

there is a lot of good / Newcommers info here
https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=33947684

otherwise keep asking

Balance1,000.000 DASH
Last Paid (from dashd)2/4/2016, 10:07:12 μ.μ. (4 days 15 hours 58 minutes 15 seconds ago)
Last Paid (from blocks)Never/Unknown

what is wrong? i haven't got my coins yet!

Back