TAO'S MASTERNODE SETUP GUIDE FOR DUMMIES (UPDATE GUIDE UPDATED FOR 13.0)

Tien Nguyen

Jul 24, 2017
Yes, I followed all the guide in this thread to set up masternode. I hired Linux server on Vultr.com and did setting up steps on it to link masternode with the QT wallet. Bhkien, are you successful in setting up masternode? If yes, please guide me step by step to finish it. Thanks !

bhkien

Mar 31, 2014
Canada
vietriches.com
Yes, I followed all the guide in this thread to set up masternode. I hired Linux server on Vultr.com and did setting up steps on it to link masternode with the QT wallet. Bhkien, are you successful in setting up masternode? If yes, please guide me step by step to finish it. Thanks !
If you are setting up Dash masternode you can use Dashman for much easier.

But I don't know about setting up masternode for other coins.

europound

Oct 22, 2016
horrible tutorial, so many bells and whistles and gimmicks, 90% of water :(
impossible to follow

TaoOfSatoshi

Grizzled Member
Jul 15, 2014
Dash Nation
www.dashnation.com
I’m sorry my guide was unable to meet your needs. It has, however, helped countless individuals with setting up their node, so someone is able to follow it! :) Do you have any specific critiques I could use to improve it?

everywherebrand

Oct 3, 2017
I think I manage to solve my issue by relaunching the masternode once I fixed the sentinel folder in my crontab.

I'll see in a few hour if it's still alive.

Have a nice day.
HI there - interested in setting up a masternode here and have a Gigabyte P55W V6-CF1 GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5, 15.6" IPS LED, i7 6700HQ Gaming Laptop - will that be enough? Thanks

Stuart Rolinson

Oct 6, 2017
Thanks for the great guide. One question, as the value of Dash increases, has there been any thought to reducing the number of coins that need to be held from 1000?

europound

Oct 22, 2016
I’m sorry my guide was unable to meet your needs. It has, however, helped countless individuals with setting up their node, so someone is able to follow it! :) Do you have any specific critiques I could use to improve it?
Do Youtube Tutorial

theatab

Sep 20, 2017
it is getting harder and harder to keep running the MNs continuously for 8-10 days! even in vultr's vps!
is there a plan to make the payments more often? like every 3-4 days?
thanks

strophy

Administrator
Dash Core Team
Dash Support Group
Feb 13, 2016
Unfortunately that is impossible, since only one masternode can be paid in each block, and each block takes 2.5 minutes. The payment interval is simply a function of the number of masternodes on the network.

theatab

Sep 20, 2017
Unfortunately that is impossible, since only one masternode can be paid in each block, and each block takes 2.5 minutes. The payment interval is simply a function of the number of masternodes on the network.
then we just have to pay 2 or more MNs in each block ;)
nothing is impossible for genius programmers ;)

Sven

Masternode Owner/Operator
Aug 15, 2017
Or you could just upgrade to better hardware.

And if you can't afford better hardware with your earnings, then you'll have to drop out and fewer Masternodes means faster payments for the rest of us. Problem solved! :)

theatab

Sep 20, 2017
By better hardware you mean better vps? even the best vps out there has not 100% uptime!
by waiting 10 days to receive the payment is not the best policy!

Sven

Masternode Owner/Operator
Aug 15, 2017
Yes. Or dedicated servers. Whatever it takes.

The payment is meant to compensate for your expenses, nobody is guaranteeing you a certain level of profit beyond that. In fact, reward payments will decrease over time as the block reward gets reduced every year.

And you can expect that, as long as there's good money to be made, more and more people will launch masternodes to get a slice of the pie. Right now, we still have the 1000-Dash hurdle to prevent an outright rush, but fractional ownership of masternodes is already in development. Then you can pay in whatever you can afford and get your share of the reward. Expect the number of nodes to skyrocket and times between payouts to get longer and longer.

That process will only stop once an equilibrium is reached where it roughly costs as much to run a masternode as you can generate income from it. At that point, only those with better, more stable and more cost-efficient hardware will still be profitable. In fact, the roadmap is already talking about "masternode-specific hardware with custom requirements". Low-end VPSs and Raspberry Pies will be squeezed out. So invest to upgrade or throw in the towel.

Last edited:

Rajak

Mar 7, 2018
Hello, thank you for material i used it and it worked brilliant.

I have 2 questions:

1) How an i set up 2 MN for 1 wallet?

in masternode.conf (for dash qt) i made settings like this

MN900 MN-ServerIP:9999 PrivateKey1 TransactionNumber1 0
MN901 MN-ServerIP:9999 PrivateKey2 TransactionNumber2 0

and dash.conf in remote server (MN server) looks like

#---
rpcuser=randomname
rpcpassword=randompassword
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
#----
listen=1
server=1
daemon=1
maxconnections=24
#--------------------
masternode=1
masternodeprivkey=PrivateKey1
externalip=MN-ServerIP

#----
rpcuser=randomname
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
#----
listen=1
server=1
daemon=1
maxconnections=24
#--------------------
masternode=1
masternodeprivkey=PrivateKey2
externalip=MN-ServerIP

but it doesnt worked. can someone help me?

and second question is:

what is status : Not capable masternode: Masternode in POSE_BAN state

thank you

Last edited:

phillipe

Jul 21, 2018
Hello,

Is it possible to setup a masternode in "regtest" mode?

I generated a masternode key and obtained the Tx Id (1000 dash). I get the following message when after the command "masternode start-alias <alias>"

{
"alias": "mn1",
"result": "failed",
"errorMessage": "Sync in progress. Must wait until sync is complete to start Masternode"
}

I think the issue may be with the server IP address in the dash.conf and masternode.conf. Since I'm running regtest, I just my localhost address and a random port. I've tried 127.0.0.1 and just plain removing it; still get the same message. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Phillipe

TaoOfSatoshi

Grizzled Member
Jul 15, 2014
Dash Nation
www.dashnation.com
Hello,

Is it possible to setup a masternode in "regtest" mode?

I generated a masternode key and obtained the Tx Id (1000 dash). I get the following message when after the command "masternode start-alias <alias>"

{
"alias": "mn1",
"result": "failed",
"errorMessage": "Sync in progress. Must wait until sync is complete to start Masternode"
}

I think the issue may be with the server IP address in the dash.conf and masternode.conf. Since I'm running regtest, I just my localhost address and a random port. I've tried 127.0.0.1 and just plain removing it; still get the same message. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Phillipe
That’s a common message you get when your local wallet has not fully updated before you issue the start command. Simply wait for the local wallet to fully sync and reissue the command.

qwizzie

Aug 6, 2014
Hello, thank you for material i used it and it worked brilliant.

I have 2 questions:

1) How an i set up 2 MN for 1 wallet?

in masternode.conf (for dash qt) i made settings like this

MN900 MN-ServerIP:9999 PrivateKey1 TransactionNumber1 0
MN901 MN-ServerIP:9999 PrivateKey2 TransactionNumber2 0

and dash.conf in remote server (MN server) looks like

#---
rpcuser=randomname
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
#----
listen=1
server=1
daemon=1
maxconnections=24
#--------------------
masternode=1
masternodeprivkey=PrivateKey1
externalip=MN-ServerIP

#----
rpcuser=randomname
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
#----
listen=1
server=1
daemon=1
maxconnections=24
#--------------------
masternode=1
masternodeprivkey=PrivateKey2
externalip=MN-ServerIP

but it doesnt worked. can someone help me?

and second question is:

what is status : Not capable masternode: Masternode in POSE_BAN state

thank you
Regarding question 1 : Do they have seperate IP Addresses ?

Regarding question 2 : Looks like something in your setup causes the network to ban your masternode(s).

Edit : never mind, i see you got your answers here : https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/2-masternodes-for-1-wallet.30437/

Last edited:

phillipe

Jul 21, 2018
That’s a common message you get when your local wallet has not fully updated before you issue the start command. Simply wait for the local wallet to fully sync and reissue the command.
The synchronization is not progressing (stuck at 25% at the bottom of dash-qt). It may have to do with the fact there are no peers in -regtest. I'm thinking may just have to -testnet to for my testing. Thank you though!