Streaming the Dash Blockchain to the whole Planet from Geosynchronous Satellites

Gilemon

Aug 20, 2017
Thanks a lot for the support Stan. This is much appreciated as I’m surprised to see so much rejection on this proposal. I truly can’t explain why this is creating so much hard reactions?

For the scaling concern and as the proposal submission platform doesn’t allow me to change the payment terms without resubmitting the whole thing, I’m willing to demonstrate my commitment to this project by proposing 2 times more bit-rate for the same total price (from 512 Kbps to 1 Mbps). This is adding a 20% cost increase on the lease that we will absorb. At proposal submission date market price this is equivalent to a 25 DASH discount on total price. I have updated the description and the pdf accordingly. I hope it also helps demonstrating that this concern can be addressed by allocating more bandwidth accordingly. The updated bit-rate allows 105 GO of Data per month. At current network requirement, this will be plenty enough to rebroadcast the whole chain at least 4 times per week. We don’t need to change this solution until we reached a full transponder capacity. For long term scaling, we have many options. The software optimization described above by Stan can be implemented on ground at the terminal hub servers. And there is already some hardware solution to accommodate such requirements: launching a dedicated Satellite or leasing on a 100 Gbps link on an already existing high-throughput satellite (HTS).

A critic coming a lot, is that this is a waste of money as it will not be used. I’ll not go again over the examples in the appendix of the proposal; some are indeed far-fetched, but please do the exercise of going back in time when there was no Internet access available to the common people and imagine what kind of use cases we could have been thinking about. As you all know, the first civilians who used it were a bunch of techies reaching out to each other’s. Who could have guess that 30 years later, we would have been using it for crypto currency applications?

Going back to earth, we are getting in touch with the local community in countries having economic instability. Internet penetration is a key metric to consider when starting a project there. The applications in places beyond the reach of the usual internet, that this proposal enables, are definitely something they are willing to explore further.

UdjinM6

Official Dash Dev
Dash Core Team
May 20, 2014
Deleted all irrelevant posts. This thread is not about (ways to figure out) who voted and how, it's about details of this specific proposal.

Reactions: stan.distortion

Gilemon

Aug 20, 2017
Will this cover Zimbabwe?
That's not what is described in the actual proposal. We originally planned to cover Asia + Australia (from India to Hawaii). You can see the exact footprint in the pdf (Appendix C – Demonstration Phase Coverage)

We chose this for the demonstration phase as it's covering the most populated areas that we know well and which have limited Internet access. Also, one of the teleports is in Hong Kong; where we have an office.

But if there is a strong demand, as we are also based in Europe, we could definitely start there (till West Russia). As you can see below that would cover Africa (including Zimbabwe).

It would be slightly more expensive than the lease price listed in the financial details, but if that's what it takes to get this proposal passed ;)

stan.distortion

Oct 30, 2014
Ok, just thinking out loud here. You're really flexible with how this project is implemented, coverage, bandwidth, single or bi-directional, etc. and Africa is going to be the first place with widespread crypto adoption (speculative but I'm sure of it) and that could happen so fast in Zimbabwe it takes everyone by surprise... even more speculative but internet usage there jumped from about 16% to 40% between 2011 and 2014 and nearly all of that is smartphones, no idea what todays figures are but it's got to be at least 60%... There's a use case there and it's so damn obvious I can't see it, Zimbabwe seems to have pretty good internet coverage so it's probably something cross-border, maybe something along the lines of pay as you go internet access with free access for Dash transactions but I'm really not sure :/

I've no doubt you can make a wide range of options work with this project but how flexible would you be with it? The monthly amount is only 46 Dash and it can be cancelled at any time, would using a few months of that to find use cases with solid data behind them be an option? To me this proposal is a no-brainer, wireless communications are the only option for a big chunk of the world and satellite is the ultimate in wireless coverage, there's a problem somewhere that this proposal is the ideal solution to.

Gilemon

Aug 20, 2017
I've no doubt you can make a wide range of options work with this project but how flexible would you be with it? The monthly amount is only 46 Dash and it can be cancelled at any time, would using a few months of that to find use cases with solid data behind them be an option? To me this proposal is a no-brainer, wireless communications are the only option for a big chunk of the world and satellite is the ultimate in wireless coverage, there's a problem somewhere that this proposal is the ideal solution to.
Yes, I have some flexibility as long as it stays within the boundaries of the financial risk I agreed to take submitting this proposal.

We have been negotiating leasing prices with several telecom companies. They greatly vary depending on the technical solution (band, link budget, footprint).

I was able to offer to double the bandwidth (from 512 Kbps to 1Mbps) because it is adding a 20% increase on the fixed leasing cost (from 10 to 12 DASH per month). Changing the coverage from Asia to Europe + Africa translates to an additional 15% increase (from 12 to 14 DASH per month). This gives you an idea about the total lease price to cover the world with this solution (ball park figure, 40 DASH per month to include the Americas).

Where we have much less flexibility is adding a second teleport location or changing it in the middle of the project as we would have to reschedule hardware procurement and delivery, on-site installation, T&C and auditing.

Reactions: stan.distortion

demo

Apr 23, 2016
Dash Address
XnpT2YQaYpyh7F9twM6EtDMn1TCDCEEgNX
Masternodes who voted NO at @Gilemon proposal regarding geosynchronous satellites.
  • LT: 106 (20% of the total MNOs of the country)
  • US: 102 (9% )
  • NL: 91 (9% )
  • DE: 41 (7%)
  • CA: 15 (5% )
  • FR: 8 (1%)
The above is an interesting statistic.
20% of the MNOs from Lithuania voted NO while the MNOs from France who voted against the proposal are only 1%.
What is the reason of this?
Why Lithuania is so much against satellites?
Any ideas?

stan.distortion

Oct 30, 2014
Demo, give it a rest ffs. If you could check my MN you'd find it's in Germany, wtf does that tell you about me living in Ireland? Nothing.

demo

Apr 23, 2016
Dash Address
XnpT2YQaYpyh7F9twM6EtDMn1TCDCEEgNX
Demo, give it a rest ffs. If you could check my MN you'd find it's in Germany, wtf does that tell you about me living in Ireland? Nothing.
Dont judge by yourself. You are an individual and you own a few masternodes. Individuals who own a lot masternodes, spies, state agents, big companies e.t.c. cannot easily be dispersed, neither in their opinion nor in the places where they host their fleet.

Furthermore, you got me wrong. I am not searching countries. I am searching voting motifs and patterns. Regardless where you host your masternodes, your voting pattern remains the same. Especially in case you are a big player. We are talking about 200-300 masternode operators. We can easily spot them, we could know who is the leftist, who is the right, who is the active, who is the inactive, who is interested in development, who is interested in advertising e.t.c.

For example. we know now that there is someone who hates satellites. This is a pattern. We may call him anti-satellite masternode operator, put a flag on him, and be prepared for his reaction whenever a satellite related proposal appears again. We could also search what all those Lithuania IPs voted in other proposals, and create a more accurate profile and pattern.

Another usefull pattern could be to search for groups of masternodes who always vote the same in various proposals, and consider them as unique operators.

Google and Facebook companies discover behavior patterns for millions of people, then they use them and/or sell them to whoever is interested. Are we so stupid as community, so that we are unable to discover patterns for just 200-300 masternode operators? Are we?

Last edited: