• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Reverting RC3 Masternode Payments Fork

Maybe make some piece of code that automaticly connects to darkcoin.io. Then forking problems should be lot less as everyone is kind of forced to connect to the right wallet.

The problem with that, as I see it, is that it would break one of the fundamental paradigms of Darkcoin and Cryptocurrencies in general. That is that they are decentralised. If you make a connection to darkcoin.io a necessity, then you introduce a single point of failure. If the Fed's wanted to come after Darkcoin, then all they would need to do is come after darkcoin.io and shut it down. :cool:

i dont mean continuous connecting to that node. but just as first connect, get the version number/blockchain header or so and then p2p download the rest. Same as torrents are downloading with magnet links. 1 (or more) places to find the correct adress of the actual files.

sounds great, how does that work? Should I put it on my server, generate address, get the test coins and off I go? :)
Yeah, that's a start. Post your testnet address in the forum to get some coins for masternodes, get them up and running and try to reproduce the issue we had yesterday - seems setting up some solominers and pointing some MHs at them is a good start as well.

i dont mean continuous connecting to that node. but just as first connect, get the version number/blockchain header or so and then p2p download the rest. Same as torrents are downloading with magnet links. 1 (or more) places to find the correct adress of the actual files.
Just like DNS, that info should be available from any node.

I've noticed many questions regarding how to set up a server for Darkcoin, Masternodes, and so on, on these forums. I've even asked a few myself! So, in the process of learning this for myself, and ultimately running a Masternode, I learned a lot and kept very detailed notes which I believe would valuable to others.
I've put together complete step-by-step guides for setting up a secure "hardened" server, installing Darkcoin (with optional Masternode instructions), and upgrading to newer versions as needed. I will be putting up instructions for P2Pool-drk as soon as I have the time.

Here are links to the instructions:
Setting up a secure "hardened" Linux server
Installing Darkcoin (with optional Masternode setup)
Upgrading Darkcoin to a newer version.

I hope this helps someone!

I've noticed many questions regarding how to set up a server for Darkcoin, Masternodes, and so on, on these forums. I've even asked a few myself! So, in the process of learning this for myself, and ultimately running a Masternode, I learned a lot and kept very detailed notes which I believe would valuable to others.
I've put together complete step-by-step guides for setting up a secure "hardened" server, installing Darkcoin (with optional Masternode instructions), and upgrading to newer versions as needed. I will be putting up instructions for P2Pool-drk as soon as I have the time.

Here are links to the instructions:
Setting up a secure "hardened" Linux server
Installing Darkcoin (with optional Masternode setup)
Upgrading Darkcoin to a newer version.

I hope this helps someone!
This ^^^ really should be in FAQ

This ^^^ really should be in FAQ
I didn't even realize there WAS a FAQ. After your post I looked around here on DarkcoinTalk and couldn't find one. Then I searched on Darkcoin.io, and found it...and found a "Coming Soon" page; I guess that is what you are referring to.
I think it's important to have an informative and up-to-date FAQ. I am a bit busy now, both with work and with working on setting up a P2Pool (and writing a tutorial for P2Pool-drk as well), but would be happy, as soon as I have the time, to work on a comprehensive FAQ. I could submit it to whomever is in charge of posting such things, and he/she could take it from there...or however you guys would want to work out the details. I feel that Darkcoin truly represents the not-too-distant future of crypto-currency, and also feel very fortunate to be involved with it at such an early stage. I would be both happy and proud to help in any way I can.

I didn't even realize there WAS a FAQ. After your post I looked around here on DarkcoinTalk and couldn't find one. Then I searched on Darkcoin.io, and found it...and found a "Coming Soon" page; I guess that is what you are referring to.
I think it's important to have an informative and up-to-date FAQ. I am a bit busy now, both with work and with working on setting up a P2Pool (and writing a tutorial for P2Pool-drk as well), but would be happy, as soon as I have the time, to work on a comprehensive FAQ. I could submit it to whomever is in charge of posting such things, and he/she could take it from there...or however you guys would want to work out the details. I feel that Darkcoin truly represents the not-too-distant future of crypto-currency, and also feel very fortunate to be involved with it at such an early stage. I would be both happy and proud to help in any way I can.
http://wiki.darkcoin.eu/wiki/FAQ
I'm not sure but I think it was AlexGR who is running it

The FAQ is hidden on darkcointalk, the link on top, called "DarkWiki" http://wiki.darkcoin.eu/wiki/FAQ

Last edited by a moderator:
In that tutorial "cgminer" should be "minerd" I think :wink:
Can you clear this up for me? During installation I downloaded cgminer, but to run the miner the command is minerd...it seemed odd to me that it was this way as well. So...did I download the wrong thing? Or execute/start it incorrectly? I am really trying to get this right, both for my own use and also as a reliable tutorial for the community.

Can you clear this up for me? During installation I downloaded cgminer, but to run the miner the command is minerd...it seemed odd to me that it was this way as well. So...did I download the wrong thing? Or execute/start it incorrectly? I am really trying to get this right, both for my own use and also as a reliable tutorial for the community.
Well, your instructions says "Install cgminer", "Running Cgminer" and so on but commands you provide are for minerd. cgminer is for minining using GPU and minerd is for mining using CPU. So in case you run it on your server (and I guess there is no GPU on it) these commands are ok but you have to correct the text itself to make things consistent.

Thanks for the clarification. You are right, and I will change the text.

Do you (or anyone else) know if the P2Pool installation part was correct? I read somewhere about needing to change a line in some python file, but not sure if that actually applies to me, or if this is something which needs to be done before or after compiling...or whatever as the case may be. And for that matter, I am not sure what line or file. Again, any help would be most appreciated.

Sciomind, I'm lost here...on the very last line of the darkcoin.conf what do I enter for externalip=<ip.add.re.ss>?

Back