• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Rebranding and Scalability

Mass adoption, in your dreams. You guys talk like you live in a bubble. Darkcoin has a clear selling point that's being a dark coin. If you are scared of the word dark you might be in the wrong section of the net.

Evan, is that you? https://github.com/dashcoin-dsh
So, is that really set in stone already?

The point is that Darkcoin has become something more, it originally was supposed to provide anonymity but it's evolving into becoming something much much bigger.

I often see the problem when I try to sell the "Darkcoin" brand to my friends, most of them are too afraid about doing something illegal, and so are merchants.

No one is going to like the new name as much as Darkcoin, and it could well kill the coin. But we are visionaries who should be open to change and all rally behind game changing ideas.

We don't really need a vote. The market will vote over the next 24 hours.

Imagine if Coca Cola announced this morning that they were ditching the brand and name and going for pokey cola. What do you think Coke's market cap would have finished at today...?

Exactly, the brand is very valuable so it would have dropped drastically.

Evan just did the same thing this morning with Dark and the market cap moves by...err.... Nothing. doesn't even flinch!

Ergo - the 'Darkcoin' brand and associated 'DRK' has a value of approximately zero. Almost 100% of the market cap is made up of the core tech, rate of development, masternode network, adoption and community/network effect.

Does this mean we should ditch the name? Not necessarily... However, any cries over the potential damage it would do are vastly overstated in my humble opinion.

Does it mean we should change the name? Not necessarily... However, if the benefits of doing so increase the marketing potential and adoption potential of the currency then I don't see why that is a bad thing.

One thing I am certain about after today is that I don't want the devs wasting too much time over this issue, the market clearly doesn't think it's of any value at this stage so I'd rather the team keep focusing on keeping up the rate of development as this is ultimately what will help drive adoption of these new technologies and ensure we're at the forefront.

Walter

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a very narrow-minded viewpoint. Darkcoin is way more now than just a "Dark" coin. It is now THE best technologically advanced crypto, lets give it a name that describes it as such. Why limit ourselves needlessly?
No offense, but you have no idea. Darkcoin is technological behind Bitcoin by around 18 months of hard work and we are simply adding some interesting, experiemental features on top of that.

Darkcoin sure is innovative and delivering a product people actually want, but if you say stuff like that you totally have no idea. We are far away from anything like mass adoption and rebranding wont get us closer to this point.

Guys, just listen to your self saying Darkcoin...so fluid, bold and heavy word

and again say, Dash ... its like someone farted while saying gimme my Cash :)

Call it what you like, it will be Darkcoin(DRK) for me

No offense, but you have no idea. Darkcoin is technological behind Bitcoin by around 18 months of hard work and we are simply adding some interesting, experiemental features on top of that.

Darkcoin sure is innovative and delivering a product people actually want, but if you say stuff like that you totally have no idea. We are far away from anything like mass adoption and rebranding wont get us closer to this point.

But wouldn't having a name that is easier for mainstream to swallow simplify trying to get adoption? Why not make the fight a little easier?

hmmm.... how is that possible if we're a fork off BTC Core x.10, which is the latest official release? But with a mountain of added features? I dont get it...
I know much is still to be done on our side, but 18 months behind BTC???

While I like, "Dash" the suggestion I was going to write a proposal for was that Darkcoin approach Litecoin and merge the two coins. Darkcoin's technology with Litecoin's reach and name would be unstoppable.

Regardless, I'm glad to see Evan and the Foundation making this hard decision. I agree that a rebranding is important.

I have mixed darksended feelings about rebranding...I love the darkcoin but think the rebranding is needed.

hmmm.... how is that possible if we're a fork off BTC Core x.10, which is the latest official release? But with a mountain of added features? I dont get it...
I know much is still to be done on our side, but 18 months behind BTC???

we are forked off bitcoin 0.9 not 0.10

I really hope our devs are not going to leave because of this abrupt, sudden decision.

I REALLY HOPE EVAN IS LISTENING TO THE DEVS, PLEASE??!!!

I really hope our devs are not going to leave because of this abrupt, sudden decision.

I REALLY HOPE EVAN IS LISTENING TO THE DEVS, PLEASE??!!!

I'm sure it was a thought out decision, and he hasn't said anything is final. I know change is difficult, but you have to realize that there are no absolute right decisions. When you think about this name change, just try to think it out rationally without getting emotional, and if you disagree maybe offer thought out alternatives.

Remember Evan is a very reasonable person, who wants the best for his coin, the one he started and many people here have contributed to.

The truth is that the goal of Darkcoin is now to provide an electronic equivalent to anonymous Cash, and the name should reflect that.

And don't forget that names you might once have hated do tend to grow on you. Go around as an experiment and try to explains the benefits of Darkcoin vs Digital Cash to random people. Same arguments, different name. See what happens.

I'm sure it was a thought out decision, and he hasn't said anything is final. I know change is difficult, but you have to realize that there are no absolute right decisions. When you think about this name change, just try to think it out rationally without getting emotional, and if you disagree maybe offer thought out alternatives.

Remember Evan is a very reasonable person, who wants the best for his coin, the one he started and many people here have contributed to.

The truth is that the goal of Darkcoin is now to provide an electronic equivalent to anonymous Cash, and the name should reflect that.

And don't forget that names you might once have hated do tend to grow on you. Go around as an experiment and try to explains the benefits of Darkcoin vs Digital Cash to random people. Same arguments, different name. See what happens.
If i'm not mistaken, it's already been decided from what Minotaur said here:
https://darkcointalk.org/threads/rebranding-and-scalability.4254/page-4#post-45118

And looks like Evan is working on it here: https://github.com/dashcoin-dsh?tab=activity
going to be "Dashcoin"?!!

I will not be surprised if the devs are leaving because they weren't discussed with. You think the foundation guys can do any coding for us???!!!
We will see this coin tank for sure.

Maybe we can use the Milton Friedman term Ecash...

In his memory...it immediately gives Darkcoin financial legitimacy if we can invoke Milton Friedman as a selling point, then: Bitcoin isnt Ecash and neither are all the others.

WHAT YOU WANT TO DO IS DEVELOP IS A NICHE, immediately if we go this way we have a niche, backed by a celebrity, who happens to be one of the world leading financial experts, advocate of freedom. perfect for... a financial product and a reference we can keep forever. The perfect image to create a moat around.The worlds first Ecash, named Ecash, in the niche of Ecash....

Here it is handed to us on a golden platter and we are not using it? This is Miltons gift to Darkcoin, his legitimizing it for the greater good of society.

Back