• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Rebranding and Scalability

Sorry, but I'm too excited and have to post this for emphasis:

YES!!!!!

I feel like a kid in a candy store right now...

That's to be expected. Hard to argue English language and connotations as being a major deterrent. Some of us that are for a rebrand actually want Darkcoin to succeed. And you know what success is... having the largest possible userbase. If a name prevents people (be it end users, merchants, service providers, etc) from using it, it's doing more harm than good. With all the technological innovations the team has provided in Darkcoin in such short order, limiting its success because of some misguided ideas surrounding the word "Dark" seems unfortunate (and something that can easily be prevented early on with a proper rebrand).

People need to suck up their pride and if they like the name so much, you can easily change the code yourself to still show Darkcoin. Maybe even add a hidden config setting called legacy mode for all the people deadset on being stuck in old ways. lulz.
+10000 Oblox, we don't agree on everything, but I'm 100% with you on this one:

Dash. It's Digital Cash.

It's brilliant.

FAIST

Fungible, Anonymous & Instant Transactions ?

unfortunately it reads like "feist", and trolls would have a kick about it looool

You guys are more than able to try to find a more fitting name but given the exposure to existing logos for immediate recognition (stuck in the constraints of D-words), Dash seems appropriate for a few reasons:

1. It drops the coin aspect... it's a platform that not only functions as a currency but far more than that in terms of network attribution
2. Dash - Word play and mashup of Digital Cash
3. Dash - Synonymous with fast, speedy, quick--all appropriate for IX technology

Bringing up the discussion of Dash being a laundry detergent is as stupid as comparing Apple's brand to fruit. It's a name and what you do with that name that differentiates you.
Dash can also be seen as short for Dark Cash. I'm suprised no one even realized this, as it really contributes to how ideal the name really is.

How about Darecoin as in DareDevil? The act of Evan to bankster is more like Murdock to Kingpin. Plus, we can keep Darkcoin name by setting 1 Darkcoin equal 1000 Darecoin to honor the early adopters. 1 DRK = 1000 DRE.

What is the plan at this time? How will we proceed with a potential re-branding?

Well the first step was for Evan to share his decision about rebranding with the community so we could all discuss it and share our opinions about it.

After that, the first thing we need to know is whether we would be using the same colors, fonts, logo, and if not what is changing. When that is clear, I think we will have to start from rebranding the wallets, our main websites: darkcoin.io and darkcointalk.org and all social media sites.

Before we flip the switch, we will need to do a proper press release about it, share it with the media, do interviews, so on and so forth. Then when is finally official we go crazy in social media, release the new video, etc.

So we still have a lot of work in front of us.

How about Darecoin as in DareDevil? The act of Evan to bankster is more like Murdock to Kingpin. Plus, we can keep Darkcoin name by setting 1 Darkcoin equal 1000 Darecoin to honor the early adopters. 1 DRK = 1000 DRE.
I'll sell my Darkcoins to you for less, 100 EUR for each DRK. :grin:

How easy will the transition from Darkcoin to Dash be for sites like cryptsy that hold peoples coins? I don't want to end up loosing them cause of their terrible support service.

Edit: Example

"Oh I am sorry it seems that you dont have any balance for Dash."

I'll sell my Darkcoins to you for less, 100 EUR for each DRK. :grin:

I see the problem. But, we should somehow preserve DRK so that one day we can tell our children we had DRK. How about one of the 2-tier system keeps using DRK and the other use a new name? BTW, the Dash doesn't sound cool but it isn't too bad as you can say it stands for Digital cash.

EDIT: BTW, in my previous post, I only meant that we are using DRK as a unit not really making 1 DRK = 1000 ____coin/cash. This probably will create a problem if we keep the quantity equal with a new unit while keeping the old unit for 1000 times of its original value. But, how about keeping both, one on each tier? Their values remain equal to each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
How easy will the transition from Darkcoin to Dash be for sites like cryptsy that hold peoples coins? I don't want to end up loosing them cause of their terrible support service.

Edit: Example

"Oh I am sorry it seems that you dont have any balance for Dash."
Well nothing other than the name is changing, it's still keeping the addresses and blockchain so it's purely cosmetic. All exchanges would promptly be contacted to change the name.

I also think that when we sell this to merchants, we should sell it as Digital Cash, not Dash, Dash would just be the abbreviation like when someone asks a merchant: "Do you take Dash?"

I like this.

Is there an issue with re branding to "Digital Cash" and using "DASH" as the ticker/short version?

I see the problem. But, we should somehow preserve DRK so that one day we can tell our children we had DRK. How about one of the 2-tier system keeps using DRK and the other use a new name? BTW, the Dash doesn't sound cool but it isn't too bad as you can say it stands for Digital cash.

EDIT: BTW, in my previous post, I only meant that we are using DRK as a unit not really making 1 DRK = 1000 ____coin/cash. This probably will create a problem if we keep the quantity equal with a new unit while keeping the old unit for 1000 times of its original value. But, how about keeping both, one on each tier? Their values remain equal to each other.
Not sure what you're saying but it will still be the same coin. Only the name is to be changed but the address format will still start with "X", I'm sure.

Ok, sorry for jumping in all the time, I'm running around atm, just can't seem to away from here right now...:confused:

Is the name settled its DASH ? If not, then this is the place to do it, as all rebranding will start with that. Regardless if the debate has been going on elsewhere. I'll gladly go through it of course... Mean no disrespect, saw it around but never dropped as it never occurred to me it might actually happen

I mean, the rebrand announcement did come out just "moments" ago, right?

DASH is a pretty perfect name. It opens doors for the coin while clearly embodying the coins key features in the name (speed and anonymity). DASH is obviously another term for fast, and sounds like word Cash (which as everyone knows cash is anonymous), and can be seen both as short for Digital-Cash (for new members) and Dark-Cash (for early adopters). Another plus is it can be used as a verb, as in, "Dash me the payment". DASH really helps us forge forward without forgetting our past. I highly doubt we'll be able to find another name that does nearly as much.

Not sure what you're saying but it will still be the same coin. Only the name is to be changed but the address format will still start with "X", I'm sure.
Please just ignore me. I'm so tired that I find it hard to say anything that makes sense today.

Well the first step was for Evan to share his decision about rebranding with the community so we could all discuss it and share our opinions about it.

After that, the first thing we need to know is whether we would be using the same colors, fonts, logo, and if not what is changing. When that is clear, I think we will have to start from rebranding the wallets, our main websites: darkcoin.io and darkcointalk.org and all social media sites.

Before we flip the switch, we will need to do a proper press release about it, share it with the media, do interviews, so on and so forth. Then when is finally official we go crazy in social media, release the new video, etc.

So we still have a lot of work in front of us.
Sweet. You know where to find me!

DASH is a pretty perfect name. It opens doors for the coin while clearly embodying the coins key features in the name (speed and anonymity). DASH is obviously another term for fast, and sounds like word Cash (which as everyone knows cash is anonymous), and can be seen both as short for Digital-Cash (for new members) and Dark-Cash (for early adopters). Another plus is it can be used as a verb, as in, "Dash me the payment". DASH really helps us forge forward without forgetting our past. I highly doubt we'll be able to find another name that does nearly as much.

I TOTALLY disagree. DASH sound weird!! "do you accept DASH?"

I prefer SAFE - Secure, Anonymous, Fungible Exchange ... I propose that! Or a derivative thereof (i cant think of getting "Instant" in there ...for now!!! ..except ISAFE but.. meeeh ...)

Like Apple Pay ... Like Paypal, Mastercard, VISA ... billions were invested just for a few lettered words!

Branding.

Its a science not a hobby!!!

We need a community discussion and proposals, as quorum vote, and Evan's final decision, and done.

Then we move on.

He who doesn't like it can pretty much "fork" the darkcoin off.

(nothing personal though masernode - just making a statement!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back