Rebranding and Scalability

darkstrike420

Jul 1, 2014
Actually, I'm in my change of life, and I look back at the years and think "is there nothing that the people can do to stop the power brokers from creating wars and conflict?" And I think, "how can we, the people, take control back?" And I see Darkcoin as a BIG part of the answer. Cash exists because it has to. There has to be a way for people to spend money in an anonymous way. But the #1 way it's used is via the government itself. They constantly need to pay off whatever schemes they've hatched, and they use cash. Because the Government can't have their schemes exposed with something traceable. But they have it easy because they make the cash, or more precisely, they are in cahoots with the bankers, who made the federal reserve, and they make the cash for the government. In the end, the government's powers comes from their cash, and they get the most of the stuff because they're insider traders, and are at the top of the pyramid. How are we going to cut the government back down so that it exists for the people by the people again? (if ever it was) Darkcoin (or whatever name it will go by in the future).

THAT is why I'm here. For my grandchildren, so they might have a chance at a better world. And yes, this is the one and only thing I've ever encountered that made me feel like we have a chance to actually change the world.
Darkcoin is not playing the role you mentioned. Bitcoin is. Darkcoin plays the role of Bitcoin's nasty dark brother.

I agree, Darkcoin needs a new name. The "*coin" just screams "shit-coin".

Reactions: vitriol

TanteStefana

Grizzled Member
Foundation Member
Mar 9, 2014
I disagree. Bitcoin can never fill the roll I outlined, ever. The government can control Bitcoin because it's an open checking account for every person in the world. This makes it easy for the government/s to remain in control. Darkcoin takes all control away. What they can't see and pin on you, they can't take away. They must ask for it.... or better still, they must propose a good reason for you, as a citizen, to give them money. If you don't agree or find value in what they propose, you don't give.

Reactions: Raico

TanteStefana

Grizzled Member
Foundation Member
Mar 9, 2014
Maybe we can use the Milton Friedman term Ecash...

In his memory...it immediately gives Darkcoin financial legitimacy if we can invoke Milton Friedman as a selling point, then: Bitcoin isnt Ecash and neither are all the others.

WHAT YOU WANT TO DO IS DEVELOP IS A NICHE, immediately if we go this way we have a niche, backed by a celebrity, who happens to be one of the world leading financial experts, advocate of freedom. perfect for... a financial product and a reference we can keep forever. The perfect image to create a moat around.The worlds first Ecash, named Ecash, in the niche of Ecash....

Here it is handed to us on a golden platter and we are not using it? This is Miltons gift to Darkcoin, his legitimizing it for the greater good of society.
This is awesome, it's what I was trying to say! I am just really bad at expressing myself

Reactions: Raico

TanteStefana

Grizzled Member
Foundation Member
Mar 9, 2014
The notion is true that DarkCoin has become worlds more than it's name covered at the time... Most people think they already know what DRK is from a year ago. A new name to get attention to the fact that it's nothing at all what it used to be is a good idea.

Dash sucks tho. It makes sense. But that's all it does... Oh, no, it sucks, too... It does two things.

I'd love to offer a better idea, but I don't have one. Dash sucks. Don't do it. I know it isn't constructive... But good Lord do not go that direction...

It's just too bland. Tofu makes sense, too... I'm not eating it.
OMG, I've almost pee'd my pants, that was so funny!!!

Reactions: camosoul

LonnieDRR

Jun 24, 2014
Canada
DASH is horrible. Do we even want to be associated with old school "cash" anyways? I thought the whole point of crypto was to get away from banking and cash??
maybe we should change it back to Xcoin? DASH is not a good name. Maybe just digital-cash then and forget the work DASH completely! Keep the ticker DRK but call it Digital cash.

TanteStefana

Grizzled Member
Foundation Member
Mar 9, 2014
What do you all think? Don't change Darkcoin, just rebrand it in an acronym It stays Darkcoin, but mostly becomes known like so:

Darkcoin InstantX and darkSend Coin = DISC

This way we can keep our logos

boblq

Jan 31, 2015
New Era!
From DARK to DAWN
I like it. It has a very natural feel to it.

I am in the Philippines and it was a beautiful sunset about thirty minutes ago so now dusk is turning to dark. I like the DARK but I look forward to the DAWN.

f2000

Oct 28, 2014
Not too sure about DISC, we don't need external media where we're going

We really should consult the branding firm and see what they come up with. If we are going to re-brand, we could use the opportunity to come up with some clean/fresh/minimal.

I like the direction "https://www.circle.com/en" has taken. Simple is better.

https://i.imgur.com/TWad5CE.gif
https://i.imgur.com/yuPZQrV.gif

https://www.reddit.com/r/loadingicon/top/?sort=top&t=year
https://www.reddit.com/r/gonwild/top/

I should also say, I quite like DRK IX DS 2FA also (it has snappy modern feel)

Finally, could you elaborate on "Scalable to billions of transactions per day"...not many people seem to be talking about that.

Last edited by a moderator:

yidakee

Foundation Member
Apr 16, 2014
against my own words earlier, today DASH makes a heck load more sense. Its a quick mono-syllable, self ticker, with a D
sounds like cash. Like bitcoin is a coin using bits, DASH is the (potentially first real) digital cash (just please dont use Digital Cash, its so 1980's!!)

"yo dude, got some cash I can spare for a beer?"
"shit just ran out, but I think I still have some left over DASH on my phone, hold on, yup, this round's on me"

GermanRed+

Aug 28, 2014
NO, and you already said it before so please stop
Don't worry. It was supposed to be a joke.

EDIT: I know I said it before. Just feel terrible reading another 7 pages of discussion without message from Evan clarifying whether DASH is set in stone or not.

crowning

May 29, 2014
Alpha Centauri Bc
Evan just did the same thing this morning with Dark and the market cap moves by...err.... Nothing. doesn't even flinch!

Ergo - the 'Darkcoin' brand and associated 'DRK' has a value of approximately zero.

Game: find the day where Evan announced the possible re-branding:
Chart.jpg

(Hint: it's somewhere on the right side of the graph)

stonehedge

Foundation Member
Jul 31, 2014
Looked like one person dumping ~10k DRK in four stages when I had a brief look earlier.

AndyDark

Sep 10, 2014
Yah, it's such a hard one! I never ever saw a problem with the name Darkcoin, but boy howdy, when I talk to an outsider about it, they always think it's a nefarious thing. "Is it legal? Are you sure?" etc.... It's a real conversation killer. Needless to say my whole family thinks I'm doing something illegal. And they're the "normal" people that Bitcoin is winning over. And Bitcoin isn't even in our league. This isn't logic, and we can't go with our guts, because most of us are partial to everything about Darkcoin, especially it's name. But the outside world? Well, the name could kill this wonderful project in it's infancy.

So I know I waffle on this. We're kind of f#cked either way we go. Keep the name = limit the use of Darkcoin to "insiders who understand" change the name = start from scratch with brand recognition. Then there is "go halfway" IE, just use our initials or something, or free ourselves up to come up with any name that fits things perfectly, and lose every bit of brand recognition we ever had (well, only a years worth after all)

What to do? In a month or so, I can honestly say I've been wringing my hands over this question for an entire year, LOL.
lol yeh me too anyone who hears about it thinks it's illegal. it would be nice if the name itself didn't try to spell this out in big letters.

Minotaur

Foundation Member
Apr 7, 2014
View attachment 1127
Do you think there is a scenario where no one decides to exit after a name change? The people against it are very vocal, that does not mean it makes less sense, the technology is exactly the same, the re-branding can be very positive for adoption. Isn't it about preserving the civil liberties of the majority? If changing the name helps us reach that majority, isn't that what we should do? I think some people just want to feel radical just for the sake of feeling radical, but if the true purpose is getting this great technology to the majority then the name must be changed.

bigrcanada

Foundation Member
Mar 9, 2014
Penticton, BC
www.dasilvavineyards.com
Do you think there is a scenario where no one decides to exit after a name change? The people against it are very vocal, that does not mean it makes less sense, the technology is exactly the same, the re-branding can be very positive for adoption. Isn't it about preserving the civil liberties of the majority? If changing the name helps us reach that majority, isn't that what we should do? I think some people just want to feel radical just for the sake of feeling radical, but if the true purpose is getting this great technology to the majority then the name must be changed.
Thanks Minotaur. Exactly.

Reactions: bhkien

alex-ru

Grizzled Member
Jul 14, 2014

Inevitably decent percentage of people wouldn’t love new name (because no name could satisfy 100% of current darkcoin-lovers).

So in short-term it is causing sales and price dropping. But in long-term it will cause buying: new people (previously was affraid of «dark-name») will force the price rising.

So It is better to look at current mess as on unique possibility to buy cheap DRKs :).

At the moment isn’t clear how many are going to be sold and how many will be bought - but this uncertainty is a source of potential short-term profit and about guaranteed long-term profit. $$$

Nocturnaldemon

Feb 18, 2015
Groningen, The Netherlands
I'll leave my personal opinion about this all out of it.
All I'm hoping for is that some people who were greatly appreciated here will calm down soon and join the discussion again.
I can understand the reasons for the emotions going where they have been going though that's for sure.
Whatever happens happens, just disappointed to see the community in it's current state. That's about as neutral as I'll get on the subject so I'll leave it at that.
The tech and general idea behind DRK is what pulled me in, and as long as nothing drastically changes in that aspect (as in regulations/government control and such) I'm staying in.

AndyDark

Sep 10, 2014
Dash will die and Darkcoin succeed. Obviously.
Hey mate, you don't know me but I seen you in the BCT forum for long time

I get you are unhappy with the strategy but did you think sideways for a minute - isn't a global currency called Dash that delivers total privacy and is also used by major retailers a better way to bring privacy to the world, than a niche coin that just gets pushed further towards darknet? I mean isn't it a smarter way to get some privacy back in the real world by building that into something much bigger that the mass market will actually use?

I heard you sold your DRK, hope you buy back and don't chop your nose of to spite your face! startups are always crazy up and down but you can't give up you have to see it through!

:D

alex-ru

Grizzled Member
Jul 14, 2014
I get you are unhappy with the strategy but did you think sideways for a minute - isn't a global currency called Dash that delivers total privacy and is also used by major retailers a better way to bring privacy to the world, than a niche coin that just gets pushed further towards darknet?
:D
One important thing is - level of anonymity depends not only on tech but also on number (and "quality" For example mixing with current bitcoin-mixer users can cause more problems than benefits) of users you can mixing with. That is why huge base of non-criminal users are more important for practical anonymity than ring signatures and all such "narrow niche stuff".

fernando