• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Proposal: open-source DASH gateway on Ripple

Will you fund this? Please, only MNO.

• Yes

Votes: 16 76.2%
  • No

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Abstain

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

akhavr

Proposal submitted at https://www.dashcentral.org/p/OpenSourceRippleGw

Overview:

This is a co-opetition proposal to Pre-Proposal: Create the first DASH gateway on Ripple.
When implemented, the deliverable would allow any interested party to establish a DASH gateway on Ripple, using reviewed open-source code, thus creating more versatile value proposition to Ripple users and increase DASH exposure.

Scope and Deliverables:
We will deliver:
  1. Open source code that would allow
    1. automated DASH deposit and withdrawal
    2. trading against any currencies, issued on the Ripple network
    3. provable reserves
    4. maintaining Ripple Network ID with no KYC requirements.
  2. Working gateway with no KYC as a proof-of-concept. Further gateway operation might be funded either from fees or by DASH network (a separate proposal).
Execution and Schedule:
DASH gateway implementation would take up to 6 weeks and will be done in the highly iterative manner: as soon as feature would be implemented, it would be deployed onto staging server for public testing. Staging server would operate on the DASH testnet.
We will keep the community updated via communication on forum and at least weekly formal project updates.

About me and my team:
My name is Andriy Khavryuchenko and my identity could be confirmed by @balu and @dmitriybtc (I've met in person with both). Also I've communicated frequently with @tungfa from the very beginning.

I'm active software developer for over 25 years and for last 15 years I develop mainly in Python. I've started a completely distributed software development company 42 Coffee Cups in 2008, with focus on Python/Django for web. We've worked in cryptocurrency projects since 2013, mostly on Ripple ledger. Unfortunately, none of these startups matured to a real product, yet we actively use the Ripple stack internally. I'm in DASH since late 2014 (you can track my posts on the forum).

Amount requested:
131 DASH ($10000 / 76.095 SMA30 DASH/USD rate rounded) + 5 DASH proposal fee. Totally 136DASH.

Given the 30 day average price will change at the proposal submission time, we will change the amount respectively. Since 42 Coffee Cups charges only for time actually spent, if the DASH price would change during the development, any unused funds will be used to provide initial liquidity on the Rippe DEX.

Update:

Amount requested changed from 136 to 134 Dash to account for the deflation.

Vote yes
Code:
gobject vote-many 22d5e59504fb867cd3e598c4424313885e5c7fd98a03dff492b99cdd66f02333 funding yes
Vote no
Code:
gobject vote-many 22d5e59504fb867cd3e598c4424313885e5c7fd98a03dff492b99cdd66f02333 funding no
Vote abstain
Code:
gobject vote-many 22d5e59504fb867cd3e598c4424313885e5c7fd98a03dff492b99cdd66f02333 funding abstain

Last edited:
I will be interested to see what other people say, but from I read here I expect to vote yes. It seems like the price is realistic given what you are delivering.

Sounds like a really interesting proposal. I voted yes. But also for me I am not knowledgeable enough to know if there is any problem. So if there is no problem arising I will absolutely support it.

For Dash, getting competitive proposals such as this is fantastic -- everyone will up their game and we all benefit.

For those of us who are weak on our knowledge of Ripple and how it can help us as Dash users, can you point us to more information about Ripple? Perhaps a YouTube video or a good tutorial that you recommend.

For those of us who are weak on our knowledge of Ripple and how it can help us as Dash users, can you point us to more information about Ripple? Perhaps a YouTube video or a good tutorial that you recommend.

The wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripple_(payment_protocol)

Company behind this: https://ripple.com/
Note that current company's vision is different from the original ripplepay and it's focusing more on a banking market.

Simple video, explaining the idea for banks:

Or how early client worked:

Hope that helps

Overview:
This is a co-opetition proposal to Pre-Proposal: Create the first DASH gateway on Ripple.
When implemented, the deliverable would allow any interested party to establish a DASH gateway on Ripple, using reviewed open-source code, thus creating more versatile value proposition to Ripple users and increase DASH exposure.

Scope and Deliverables:
We will deliver:
  1. Open source code that would allow
    1. automated DASH deposit and withdrawal
    2. trading against any currencies, issued on the Ripple network
    3. provable reserves
    4. maintaining Ripple Network ID with no KYC requirements.
  2. Working gateway with no KYC as a proof-of-concept. Further gateway operation might be funded either from fees or by DASH network (a separate proposal).
Execution and Schedule:
DASH gateway implementation would take up to 6 weeks and will be done in the highly iterative manner: as soon as feature would be implemented, it would be deployed onto staging server for public testing. Staging server would operate on the DASH testnet.
We will keep the community updated via communication on forum and at least weekly formal project updates.

About me and my team:
My name is Andriy Khavryuchenko and my identity could be confirmed by @balu and @dmitriybtc (I've met in person with both). Also I've communicated frequently with @tungfa from the very beginning.

I'm active software developer for over 25 years and for last 15 years I develop mainly in Python. I've started a completely distributed software development company 42 Coffee Cups in 2008, with focus on Python/Django for web. We've worked in cryptocurrency projects since 2013, mostly on Ripple ledger. Unfortunately, none of these startups matured to a real product, yet we actively use the Ripple stack internally. I'm in DASH since late 2014 (you can track my posts on the forum).

Amount requested:
131 DASH ($10000 / 76.095 SMA30 DASH/USD rate rounded) + 5 DASH proposal fee. Totally 136DASH.

Given the 30 day average price will change at the proposal submission time, we will change the amount respectively. Since 42 Coffee Cups charges only for time actually spent, if the DASH price would change during the development, any unused funds will be used to provide initial liquidity on the Rippe DEX.

can confirm akhavr
i know him since ages (darkcoin days ), clever as a whip , always open for professional comments and communication , pro coder and trusted guy ! never ran into any problems there :)

Any reason we're choosing a for profit corporation whose software was designed for banks over Stellar's platform which is nonprofit and focused more on individuals?

What about openledger?

Last edited:
Any reason we're choosing a for profit corporation whose software was designed for banks over Stellar's platform which is nonprofit and focused more on individuals?

Because we're focusing on the network, not the corp? Right now Ripple network has a wide choice of established fiat and crypto gateways that are in operation for years. For example, BitStamp.

Stellar is more like original Ripple's vision (which I like more, frankly). I don't think there would be major issues porting the gateway code to stellar network, since they forked from the same codebase.

Bottom line: ripple gateway would give us access to more users and more volume right away. Stellar gateway would be an easy add-on.

What about openledger?

Haven't done any projects there, can't comment. I feel OpenLedger tech is great, but somehow they are failing at BDSM for years :(

Nice proposal, and yeah I can absolutely confirm that @akhavr is really great and smart person.

During one of our meetups we had quite interesting conversations, and he also helped a lot.

Amount requested changed from 136 to 134 Dash to account for the deflation.

Vote yes
Code:
gobject vote-many 22d5e59504fb867cd3e598c4424313885e5c7fd98a03dff492b99cdd66f02333 funding yes
Vote no
Code:
gobject vote-many 22d5e59504fb867cd3e598c4424313885e5c7fd98a03dff492b99cdd66f02333 funding no
Vote abstain
Code:
gobject vote-many 22d5e59504fb867cd3e598c4424313885e5c7fd98a03dff492b99cdd66f02333 funding abstain

Of course, I would appreciate yes votes :)

How would this work ?

Ripple is a close network yet you claim than you can setup a transparent open-source node for all the use ?
Who becomes the owner of this node an how collects the fee's from running this node aka gateway ?

Ripple is a close network yet you claim than you can setup a transparent open-source node for all the use ?

Ripple is not a closed network. Anyone can run a node, anyone can run a client. We run both, you can go and register at http://app.p2pay.com/ which hosts a (somewhat broken) copy of an originall ripple client.

Who becomes the owner of this node an how collects the fee's from running this node aka gateway ?

Anyone who would start a copy of the open source code. If the reference node would be supported by the Dash MNO, we won't collect fees for our node. In any case, it's up to the owner of the gateway to decide.

I think there is a serious problem with the Know Your Customer requirements. Ripple was heavily fined in 2015 for failing to properly implement KYC rules and made significant changes to comply. I don't see how these requirements can be circumvented without getting into serious legal issues. Ripple is full of banks who are fully complying with KYC and would probably somehow block anonymous access for non compliance. As far as I know, Stellar (a Ripple fork) is not compliant with KYC and would probably be a better network for this open source code. As I might have my facts wrong, feel free to correct me. Thanks.

Ripple was heavily fined in 2015 for failing to properly implement KYC rules and made significant changes to comply.

They were fined for assisting in sale of their XRP stash w/o reporting it to three-letter agencies. Not for operating a gateway.

I don't see how these requirements can be circumvented without getting into serious legal issues. Ripple is full of banks who are fully complying with KYC and would probably somehow block anonymous access for non compliance.

Well, as soon as Ripple validators would start censor transactions, they would have much bigger issues with their network usage: no bank would like to have its transactions to be reviewed by any third-party before posting them on the ledger.

That's why, btw, my proposal focuses on creating a software, not a gateway operation.

As far as I know, Stellar (a Ripple fork) is not compliant with KYC and would probably be a better network for this open source code. As I might have my facts wrong, feel free to correct me. Thanks.

Stellar is less popular than Ripple. It would be quite easy to adapt the open source dash gateway from ripple to stellar.

Ripple is not a closed network. Anyone can run a node, anyone can run a client.
In any case, it's up to the owner of the gateway to decide.

Maybe I am missing something here, but if anybody can run a node why do we need to invest into the project ?
I myself could not find the software to run my own full node on my own pc, the link you provided does not their.

Also the use of Gateway is very confusion (intentionally i wonder?) I think when your talking about a Gateway you mean exchange, which KYC and AML, When I talk about a gateway, I meant become a full (trusted) node on the Ripple network, and become sort of a wallet to users, without AML and KYC, which could charge users for transactions and so forth.

Maybe I am missing something here, but if anybody can run a node why do we need to invest into the project ?

Because a ripple node (rippled) is not a full-featured gateway you can run out of the box?

I myself could not find the software to run my own full node on my own pc, the link you provided does not their.

Sorry, I don't understand you here. You can get rippled here https://github.com/ripple/rippled Beware of resources it consumes, but if you've got a decent server, it's pretty straighforward.

If you're not talking about rippled, what "node software" are you talking about?

Also the use of Gateway is very confusion (intentionally i wonder?) I think when your talking about a Gateway you mean exchange, which KYC and AML,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripple_(payment_protocol)#Gateways
A gateway is any person or organization that enables users to put money into and take money out of Ripple's liquidity pool. A gateway accepts currency deposits from users and issues balances into Ripple's distributed ledger. Furthermore, gateways redeem ledger balances against the deposits they hold when currency is withdrawn. In practice, gateways are similar to banks, yet they share one global ledger known as the Ripple protocol.

So, no, I don't mean an exchange. When I'm talking about ripple gateway, I'm talking about ripple gateway.

When I talk about a gateway, I meant become a full (trusted) node on the Ripple network, and become sort of a wallet to users, without AML and KYC, which could charge users for transactions and so forth.

Ripple full node, ripple wallet, and ripple gateway are three different things.

I would be glad to answer your question when I understand it. So far, I don't.

I don't know if your attempting to discreet me or anything but you have not answered any of my questions.

A quote form the wikipage you posted:

Gateways[edit]
A gateway is any person or organization that enables users to put money into and take money out of Ripple's liquidity pool.[2] A gateway accepts currency deposits from users and issues balances into Ripple's distributed ledger. Furthermore, gateways redeem ledger balances against the deposits they hold when currency is withdrawn. In practice, gateways are similar to banks, yet they share one global ledger known as the Ripple protocol. Depending on the type and degree of interaction a user has with a gateway, the gateway may have anti-money laundering (AML) or know your customer (KYC) policies requiring verification of identification, address, nationality, etc. to prevent criminal activity.[5] Popular gateways as of 2017 included Bitstamp, Gatehub, Ripple Fox, Tokyo JPY, Mr. Ripple, RippleChina and The Rock Trading.[8

That's what I said, a gateway is a fancy word for an exchange, as you only get (full) access once you complied with KYC/AML. I find the whole line of talking very dishonest.

Second point is your say your going to setup a open-source-dash-gateway-on-ripple

Question 1a)
Now I am asking how can this be ? Seeing Gateway's can only become gateway's once ripple labs allows them entry.
Question 1b)
If anybody could do it why are their so few Ripple Gateways ?
Question 1c)
IF it is possible to setup an open-source-dash-gateway-on-ripple, than why should you be the owner of it ? If you build it you should give the finished product to the DASH-holders, so we can use it as we please

Question 2) How do I install a full node wallet on my pc ? And does such full node actually work, can it actually receive send, import and export private key's. Maybe I am missing something here but I have not found a decent installer for it, why is that ? what so different about ripple that they can't make installer than be used on Windows/Linux and OSX. I mean every other coin can do it even coins with little to no budget at all.

That's what I said, a gateway is a fancy word for an exchange, as you only get (full) access once you complied with KYC/AML.

No.

I find the whole line of talking very dishonest.

You can find whatever you'd like, it doesn't change the way code works.

Now I am asking how can this be ? Seeing Gateway's can only become gateway's once ripple labs allows them entry.

No.

If anybody could do it why are their so few Ripple Gateways ?

Because noone cares until XRP is pumped 100x?

IF it is possible to setup an open-source-dash-gateway-on-ripple, than why should you be the owner of it ? If you build it you should give the finished product to the DASH-holders, so we can use it as we please

I should not be the owner of it. We will operate a reference implementation if the remainder of budget will allow. After this, we'll decide if charge a fee or ask Dash MNO for a support. If decision would be "no" for both questions, we will shut down the gateway and return all the funds.

Question 2) How do I install a full node wallet on my pc ?

Are you asking for a free consulation? I usually charge a fee for that.

And does such full node actually work

It works for me since late 2013.

can it actually receive send, import and export private key's

Node does not send, import, or export private keys. Wallet does. And yes, open source wallet can do all three.

Maybe I am missing something here but I have not found a decent installer for it, why is that ? what so different about ripple that they can't make installer than be used on Windows/Linux and OSX. I mean every other coin can do it even coins with little to no budget at all.

Ask https://ripple.com/ ?

Back