Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

Pre-Proposal: Create the first DASH gateway on Ripple

Discussion in 'Pre + Budget Proposal Discussions' started by ggololicic, May 3, 2017.

1. TroyDASH

TroyDASH Well-known Member

Agreed. But there's also value in evaluating how much leverage we have as a network for negotiation. Sometimes there can be deal sweeteners that can make a proposal more likely to pass, and where both the network and the contractor business still benefit from the project. The alt36 exclusivity contract is an example where a nice agreement was reached. So even though the expectation will be that the Dash network does pay to accelerate its growth, we should still be conscious for any particular proposal, how much each party stands to gain from the arrangement and if there are any additional provisions that can be added to cultivate a stronger relationship.

#31 TroyDASH, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Technologov

Technologov Member

Looks interesting. I will vote "yes" for this, unless we have better proposals for this month.

Dash will be added to the big exchanges regardless, just like Ethereum and Litecoin were added. Even if unfunded.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. blockchaintech

Could you list, what advantages and synergies gives us your proposal?
    It is important for MNOs to see the benefits of financing this integration.

4. halso

halso Active Member

I was initially reluctant but @David makes some good points. Lets use the Treasury to accelerate the expansion of the ecosystem. We are in a race with other cryptos to establish the network effects. I will vote YES.

@ggololicic some media releases after the integration would be nice.

5. camosoul

camosoul Grizzled Member

So... You're an exchange that thinks DASH suck so bad that the only way you'd burden your business with DASH is if DASH pays you enough to offset the loss?

I don't get it. Why are you even here if you think DASH is so shitty? You're an exchange which has weighed all the options and decided that DASH isn't worth the effort because it won't pay out in exchange fees. A one shot won't fix that... So... Will you be back to demand more money to prevent DASH from being removed once it's added?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. halso

halso Active Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. solarguy

solarguy Active Member

Upon further consideration of the proposal, the questions and the answers, I would vote yes. This adds significantly to the tools available to Dash users. It also adds substantially to our exposure to a new demographic (the Ripple crowd) which seems to be growing substantially as well.

If the owner of the proposal has a convincing answer to the immediate "growing pains" problem on gatehub, both in the short term, and in the 1-2 year term, then I would switch to an enthusiastic yes vote.

8. AjM

AjM Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

[​IMG]
    eduffield

May 12
    Ripple Gateware

I’ve noticed a couple proposals to make a ripple gateway, while I don’t have a problem with a service like this and adding ourselves to it, we should strive to support the most open and transparent ecosystem possible.

As far as the two proposals go, one of them is open-source, directly from some stakeholders in the community and the other is a private for-profit company which desires to charge us to create a portal that they will keep the source.

No https://www.dashcentral.org/p/Create-the-first-DASH-gateway-on-Ripple

Yes https://www.dashcentral.org/p/OpenSourceRippleGw

https://medium.com/@eduffield/ripple-gateware-fcc377db8e04

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. 7dhdaQhZ

7dhdaQhZ New Member

I support both, and in particular the Gatehub one. They've a good site for Ripple pairs and it'll benefit all. For the price they appear good value relative to other previous proposals

• Like Like x 1
  10. mazi

mazi New Member

#40 mazi, May 13, 2017
    Last edited: May 13, 2017
  11. radeon_jas

radeon_jas New Member

I support both. It is not only about code, but also users/brand.

12. akhavr

akhavr Active Member

I'm the owner of the open-source Ripple GW proposal and I consider it unfortunate that currently this proposal isn't going to pass. Dash and Ripple users will get much more benefit by having both solutions online.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. mazi

mazi New Member

14. halso

halso Active Member

15. halso

halso Active Member

Their platform doesn't work with people reporting lost and stuck funds. See link just from today.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ripple/comments/6b8wxp/transfer_from_gatehub_to_another_wallet/

I don't think it would be good for the community to fund an integration that puts peoples DASH at risk.

This proposal is premature.

Before integrating other coins, these guys should instead focus on getting their basic functionality working.

16. mazi

mazi New Member

Are you kidding?? The above link has nothing to do with lost and stuck funds.

No funds have been lost at GateHub.

Some transactions do take somewhat longer than usual to get processed, but this is the case with other exchanges as well, even the big ones (e.g. at Poloniex all ETC withdrawals were disabled for the whole day yesterday), and has a lot to do with the recent delays on the Bitcoin network itself.

Such completely untrue allegations from members of the DASH community benefit no-one.

Edit: formatting

#46 mazi, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. halso

halso Active Member

Below are direct quotes from from the link:

"I can't send or receive ripple to my gatehub wallet." (han5li)

"I transfered 21 ripple just to try, address took 20 and i received only 0.70 ripple." (Donkii)

There are other links on ripple reddit reporting similar issues. This was just a link From today.

18. mazi

mazi New Member

I missed this one, my mistake.

This is normal. I answered both on Reddit. It is possible that han5li is refering to the issues from the past week.

19. mazi

mazi New Member

All issues I could see mentioned on Reddit are issues from user not fully understanding how Ripple works (just like the one from your link). This will be cleared up by GateHub's support team.

All exchanges always have pending user support requests -- this is a normal situation and in itself doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the exchange. You will find similar posts about Poloniex, Kraken, Bitstamp.. every exchange, at any time, and especially now.

Such requests of course grow enormously when there are many new users to the platform that are not yet familiar with the technology, and this is exactly what happened on GateHub last week.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. solarguy

solarguy Active Member

If you could give us a sense of the scale of future oriented plans and new resources to resolve the current issues, and more importantly, prevent/minimize future similar problems. Quantified numbers, even better.

Thanks in advance

21. mazi

mazi New Member

We've posted the information we can provide at this time here:
    https://www.xrpchat.com/topic/4622-gatehub-status-update/

We'll keep our users updated.

22. solarguy

solarguy Active Member

Note that the other proposal (which I also support) produces a piece of open source software that would allow anybody that is motivated to set up a Ripple/Dash gateway. It does not necessarily end up with a fully functional gateway, that's outside the proposal.

This proposal (although private/closed source) does result in an actual functional gateway--that's the whole point.

23. SimontheRavager

yeah and we can contain this centralized bank coin a little bit hahaha

24. dashdisciple

dashdisciple Member

Voted yes. This is the type of integration we need to keep banging out. 100,000 gatehub users, $2M/day in existing volume.. It's not just about the dev work on this one.

The guy is going to hopefully make some money off us, but that's the point. Go capitalism.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. dashdisciple

dashdisciple Member

130,000 Gatehub users now. How could anybody in their right mind hesitate on this proposal yet vote for circuses and airshows?

Integrations like this is where the money is at. Dash doesn't even need to hunt the deal - it's being offered up as a prize.

• Like Like x 1
  26. mazi

mazi New Member

27. akhavr

akhavr Active Member

I've personally votes yes for this proposal. I would like to see it done, since we have the funds in the Treasury anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. chaddb

chaddb New Member

How do we get this thing across the line?
    * It's a quality proposal with achievable scope
    * Dash needs trading integrations that incorporate fiat crosses
    * It complements the open source proposal
    * Seems like there's room in the budget for it

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  29. solarguy

solarguy Active Member

Agreed.

Perhaps if ten masternodes who support this would ask again, on all the forums (reddit dashpay, the Dashnation slack (sub-channel proposals) and DashCentral) that would be enough. I'll go do my part.

My reasons as to why this is valuable and worthwhile:

1. It adds substantial tools/capabilities to trade back and forth easily and painlessly between various currencies. That's what Ripple does. It's like the Babel fish if you're a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy fan. Or, it's like Star Treks Universal Translator.

2. The cost is very reasonable to get this done considering the man hours it will take.

3. These are the people who know Ripple frontwards and backwards, and the logical choice for who to get this done in a timely and effective manor.

4. Ripple is going places. A strategic partnership between Ripple and Dash will accomplish far more together than separately.

https://ripple.com/insights/forty-seven-japanese-banks-move-towards-commercial-phase-using-ripple/
    http://www.the-blockchain.com/2017/04/28/ten-banks-join-ripples-global-payments-network/

5. Some are concerned that we are paying money to a for-profit company. If it's profitable, they should just pay for it themselves. While I understand this point of view, and this point of view is not wrong, I view it very differently. You know how cool it is to buy premium tickets to get front row seats, and then you ALSO get passes to go backstage and meet the rock stars?

That's what we're paying for, premium express service. We, as a community, need to get used to the idea that we are rich. There's nothing wrong with being rich. Get used to it. Act like it. Embrace it. Raise your hand if you want to go to the front of line, instead of the back of the line!

6. Some are concerned that the end product is not an open source software product, and there is another proposal that does the "same thing" by a community member and results in an open source software deliverable. Evan even said so.

Yes, this is true. And yet, begging to differ with Evan. These two proposals do not do the same thing. These are complementary projects, and even the other open source proposal owner Akhavr wants both to happen.

This project will result in a functional gateway with support. Akhavr's project will result in software that anybody can use to open a gateway, but how many people will actually do that? And provide support? I don't know. How many Linux users are there? How many Microsoft users are there? Isn't it great that WE COULD HAVE BOTH!

What expands the Dash universe the fastest? Do both.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  30. jimbit

jimbit Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

The more exposure and gateways the better.. my votes are yes