• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

PinIdea ASIC X11 Miner DU-1 (USB Version Hashrate 9 MH/s , Releasing in Mid-May 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Order #100
Shipping destination CANADA
Not a frickin word or response from pinidea regarding the shipping situation.

I can understand shipping delay due to overwhelming demand. Few other things I can understand.
What about the other 120+
First come first serve.

Last edited:
Mine delivered today by EMS, order #102
SP Express tracking showed Hong Kong -> Russia, EMS Post tracking showed Finland -> Russia
https://github.com/PinIdea/ASIC-X11-Miner/releases/ said:
Normally you don't need to install any USB driver, but in case your machine cannot recognize our miner, you should download USB Driver from silicon labs. We use CP2102

Actually Windows 8.1, Windows 7 and Windows 2012 R2 not recognized miner and show it as "LUFA CDC Demo". With manual drivers setup it not worked too, return "Cannot start device, code 10" error in Device Manager.
Thanks Google, found another driver.

Don't have much time and additional power source now, so just test at random p2pool @200Mhz:

1wW3vWE.png

and pool show 4.5+ Mhash.

Last edited:
Let me know if you are able to get more than 3 DU-1s operating at once under Windows. I'm running Win10 and when I hook them all up, only three will actually process shares. The other two just spin. Doesn't matter what I do. I've even tried spawning multiple instances of the app with no luck. The 4th device and higher just sit there.

I've also been unsuccessful in getting these devices recognized by the PinIdea version of cgminer on RPi/Minera. If anyone has gotten them working on this platform, please let me know.

I also have a device that I've been unsuccessful at operating at anything above 300. It will process shares if I specify a clock freq of 300 or below. At 400, both leds blink so fast that they are almost constant.

SP Express tracking showed Hong Kong -> Russia, EMS Post tracking showed Finland -> Russia

Actually Windows 8.1, Windows 7 and Windows 2012 R2 not recognized miner and show it as "LUFA CDC Demo". With manual drivers setup it not worked too, return "Cannot start device, code 10" error in Device Manager.

Don't have much time and additional power source now, so just test at random p2pool @200Mhz:

1wW3vWE.png

#153 Still waiting to get my order placed 5/19. I did help someone (order #124) set up 5 x du-1 units on Windows 7 x64. They ordered 5/16, was given tracking number 6/1, and package delivered to US west coast 6/2. Soleo has mentioned in slack channel there is a delay shipping because they are not able to assemble the miners fast enough. My theory is that they sent out the earliest orders likely in numerical order up to a certain point, then decided to fulfill all the smaller orders. I am willing to bet those who have received their du1s either ordered really early or had a small order of 5 or 6 units.

Just some quick tips notes from the 5 unit setup I just put together. All 5 of them detected on Windows as "LUFA CDC DEMO". The binaries from PinIdea contains an DU1.inf file that was needed to get the du1 shown as "DU1 COM Port". You can update the drivers by going to StartMenu -> Devices and Printers -> Rightclick and go to properties of the LUFA CDC DEMO -> find "update drivers" and point it at the DU1.inf file. Once one DU1 unit is recognized properly then unplug and re-plug the rest of them and they will now show correctly with a different COM port assigned to each.

Side note: If your miners show as "unknown device" then the problem is windows is installing drivers automatically that will not work. Simply prevent windows from auto installing drivers (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2500967) then uninstall the drivers that windows used in the device manager. Unplug and replug the miner and it should detect properly as LUFA CDC DEMO. Proceed to update with DU1.inf file.

1wW3vWE.png

Let me know if you are able to get more than 3 DU-1s operating at once under Windows. I'm running Win10 and when I hook them all up, only three will actually process shares. The other two just spin. Doesn't matter what I do. I've even tried spawning multiple instances of the app with no luck. The 4th device and higher just sit there.

I've also been unsuccessful in getting these devices recognized by the PinIdea version of cgminer on RPi/Minera. If anyone has gotten them working on this platform, please let me know.

I also have a device that I've been unsuccessful at operating at anything above 300. It will process shares if I specify a clock freq of 300 or below. At 400, both leds blink so fast that they are almost constant.

Thought I posted this a while ago but apparently forgot to hit the POST button. I swapped out the USB driver a few times and eventually got all devices running under Win10. I've had people tell me they were successful with the default Win10 USB drivers and the unsigned PinIdea USB driver. YMMV. I've also noticed that I get inconsistent results when I run multiple DU-1s on a single instance of cgminer. Eventually, some just stop hashing. This is fixed by just firing up multiple instances of cgminer each talking to a different device. I've only got five devices so it's not that big of a deal. I've seen others with dozens so that workaround would be a pain at that scale.

I've also had two miners that won't hash at 400. One never would and would hash at 300. Now it will not hash higher than 200. Another would hash at 400 originally but after a little run time now will no longer hash above 300.

I still need to see if I can get these things running under linux/RPi. Might get some time this weekend. Interested to hear how others are doing with the DU-1s.

1wW3vWE.png

I can't make'em get higher than 4 MH. I tried to connect one DU-1 to 2 USB3 ports of my ASUS motherboard (as you can see the stock cable has 2 "big" USB connectors, apparently to draw the power from 2 ports at once, right?) - nothing, just 4 MH. So until my fellow will rework the hubs that is my setup (one DU-1 per each USB-3 port):

xXKLmk.jpg

fi4KyM.jpg

p.s. but DU-1's behavior at p2pool is strange - it can't start working for a looong time after cgminer start, and then send the shares that are being rejected...

Last edited:
I can't make'em get higher than 4 MH. I tried to connect one DU-1 to 2 USB3 ports of my ASUS motherboard (as you can see the stock cable has 2 "big" USB connectors, apparently to draw the power from 2 ports at once, right?) - nothing, just 4 MH. So until my fellow will rework the hubs that is my setup (one DU-1 per each USB-3 port):

p.s. but DU-1's behavior at p2pool is strange - it can't start working for a looong time after cgminer start, and then send the shares that are being rejected...

What does you batch file look like?

I too am having problems with the DU-1. Only a couple units will even run with --dr1-clk 400 to get close to the advertised 9 MH/s. Most of the rest will only start up with --dr1-clk 200 to get around 4 MH/s. And I noticed now in all the documentation examples the clock is set to 200 for the USB devices.

Running cgminer on Windows 10 Pro with Windows 10 drivers powered by a 49-port powered USB hub. I may try other drivers as mentioned above.

Still waiting for mine. I ordered very quickly after they were available. Feeling a little bummed about it all.

Yeah their normally responsive support on Slack has gotten pretty quiet as well. Kinda disappointed since I really loved their first release. Hope it's just a temporary hiccup.

What does you batch file look like?
It has been composed following the example at Github. Default clock, two COM ports (for 2 devices), one pool. I can't post it here since I'm not at home now.

I suggest that I need just rise the clock to try to achieve something about 9 MH, will try this evening.

I've also had two miners that won't hash at 400. One never would and would hash at 300. Now it will not hash higher than 200. Another would hash at 400 originally but after a little run time now will no longer hash above 300.
I too am having problems with the DU-1. Only a couple units will even run with --dr1-clk 400 to get close to the advertised 9 MH/s. Most of the rest will only start up with --dr1-clk 200 to get around 4 MH/s
Reason to ask for partial refund...

Mine 3 of 5 work @300MHz (~6Mhash) connected directly to computer with both USB, 1 of them run @400MHz and show ~8Mhash at cgminer, but on pool it was only about 3Mhash. Also cooler start make strange sound sometimes, so I think it's lack of power.
Other 2 not generating any hashrate, or showing some crazy amount (like GHashes) with no shares.

Unfortunately, none of them worked with this hub, with or without additional power.

Also, connecting 2nd USB connector through adapter to external power supply not give any advantages with hashrate or working at higher clock.

Does make you wonder at the electronic level, what could possibly cause the variation. My pick is those shooter chips are not what they need to be, Id assume all supporting electronics around it are pretty simple items.
Maybe I will set up the garden hose and a copper block directly on top of the chip instead of the heatsink, that might help. I can have it come in thru the garage window and then use the warm water as passive exchange heating in my solar hot water cylinder coil.
Since I have ordered quite a few there should be enough problems to supply all my hot water needs.

Other 2 not generating any hashrate, or showing some crazy amount (like GHashes) with no shares.

What I have found when this happens is that you need to lower your frequency. You should also try running an instance of cgminer with a single device and see if that helps.

I have seen all kinds of odd behavior and this is what I eventually started doing under Win10:

1) Make sure you install the PinIdea DU-1 specific driver which requires that you reboot and allow unsigned drivers to be installed
2) Test each miner on its own for a while (hours) without other miners hooked up to determine the frequency it will operate at
3) Run multiple instances of cgminer with one device attached (specify a single COM port in the batch file - since I have five devices, I run five instances of cgminer)
4) Wonder to yourself if these DU-1 miners have the leftover and rejected chips from the DR-1 builds...

I know others haven't had the same problems but what I've noticed is that when I stack all the miners under the same cgminer instance some of them just seem to randomly stop hashing for no reason. Seems more stable over time when I operate them this way for some reason.

Are we getting a corresponding reduction in power use for the lowered hash/freq rates ? Wouldn't mind so much if the ratio of consumption/results remained the same, it's not the point of what we wanted obviously but still cheaper to run than a Graphics card is my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back