Masternode missed payment

CODERsp

Jul 5, 2014
I started one MN after 38 blocks another MN got paid. Currently, first MN got next payment, so there was no node restart and I have to be paid in 38 blocks (8 blocks left).

jpr

May 11, 2014
How long after starting a node for the first time should I be expecting a payment? been 2 days 10h

OnetyOne

Aug 4, 2014
How long after starting a node for the first time should I be expecting a payment? been 2 days 10h
It depends on a few factors: The number of masternodes vs blocktime and a possible node restart.

Let's say there are ~1440 masternodes and roughly every 2 minutes a block is found. In a worst case scenario your masternode would get paid last, so 1440 x 2 minutes = about 48 hours.

Now add in the factor that a node restart is neccesairy. In this example it has to be restarted after Masternode# 1200 is paid (and yours isn't yet). 1440 x 2 minutes + 1200 x 2 minutes = 88 hours.

Do mind that this all is just a worst-case example explaining how it roughly works and because of the "randomness" your Masternode can either receive nothing for a few days or get 2 payements pretty fast after eachother.

Edit;
To aprox calculate the time between blocks check http://explorer.darkcoin.io/chain/Darkcoin
For the number of currently active masternodes check the bottom of the page https://drk.mn/

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jpr

GilAlexander

Jun 26, 2014
That's one of the reasons the payment reference node is only a temporary solution and we want to get rid of it.
It is easier to make reference node to persist history. Need to have a queue, on every block:
1) Push any nodes that aren't already in the queue but are in list to the end.
2) Pop one from the start and pay to it if it's reachable.
3) Push it again to the end.
And save that queue when restart.

CODERsp

Jul 5, 2014
How to watch current pool of masternodes? Masternode winners shows only 10 previous and 10 next payees.

splawik21

Grizzled Member
Dash Core Team
Foundation Member
Dash Support Group
Apr 8, 2014
I was thinking...
1440/576=2.5day/payout
Correct me if I'm wrong...

oblox

Aug 6, 2014
I was thinking...
1440/576=2.5day/payout
Correct me if I'm wrong...
On average, that should be accurate (node count divided by average blocks found per day), however, with the ever changing node count and the reference node(s) seemingly being restarted at different times (for various reasons), seems consistency in payouts is dwindling for multiple people.

Reactions: OnetyOne

moocowmoo

Bovine Bit-flipper
Foundation Member
Jun 15, 2014
masternode.me
Dash Address
XmoocowYfrPKUR6p6M5aJZdVntQe71irCX
Your node *is* online.

You're just experiencing some bad luck.
The reference nodes that keep everything like clockwork may have been restarted.
You may have restarted your node when it was due for selection.
My recommendation is to not touch it.
I had a node unpaid since Nov that just got paid. You will too.

You will get your payments, just be patient.

Reactions: moli

splawik21

Grizzled Member
Dash Core Team
Foundation Member
Dash Support Group
Apr 8, 2014
On average, that should be accurate (node count divided by average blocks found per day), however, with the ever changing node count and the reference node(s) seemingly being restarted at different times (for various reasons), seems consistency in payouts is dwindling for multiple people.
Indeed once stopped and restarted you have to wait x nr of MNs till you will get possibility to be paid. +/- 10%

OnetyOne

Aug 4, 2014
Aside from the weird node restarts there's no problem with the payment system but (I don't mean this in any way as offensive) with the lacking information on (or people's understanding of) how the payout works :)

Shaan

Nov 1, 2014
thats a very vague response moo, i did not restart it or touch, i only go onto the node for a minute or two that's to, do the update which is handled by the updatemn script another user had posted here which takes all of 2-3 minutes to do at the very most,

it still does not account for the fact that those days are now missed.. and will not be recovered.. i think the dev's have to take into account that.. the hosting companies don't compensate you for days your MN doesn't get paid they still charge you.

and for the people doing this as an investment vehicle are obviously not going to be happy given the fact that they cant even get consistent ROI that they have been told they would get..

when investors 'invest' into MN's they expect to see a consistant payout schedule arbitrarily restarted the reference node or any other shananigans that can be blamed for MN's not getting paid is ridiculous

there should be an distributed list of MN's getting paid so that in the event the 'reference' node is restarted the MN's continue to receive there funds for the work they have done..

I strongly urge you and the other dev's to take this into consideration and perhaps correct the issue for the simple fact that its unfair when some nodes receive multiple payments in a day for the same darn investment but, some dont receive shit for several days or weeks at a time

Reactions: CODERsp

splawik21

Grizzled Member
Dash Core Team
Foundation Member
Dash Support Group
Apr 8, 2014
Only one of my masternodes wasnt paid a couple of days...

761a058316...1809622014-12-05 09:18:49(1.8132)1000DRK
e92653f567...1832952014-12-09 15:11:411.50241001.5024DRK
65b7d31d7a...1846392014-12-12 01:56:521.5031003.0054

you can see that after withdrawing fees there were 102 hours without the payment...that was strange...anyway after that my last 2 payments are regular as in clock.... ...meaby send the debug.log to [email protected]?

CODERsp

Jul 5, 2014
Shaan, absolutely agree with you. I invested money into my second MN and after last update it gets no payments at all.

CODERsp

Jul 5, 2014
Aside from the weird node restarts there's no problem with the payment system but (I don't mean this in any way as offensive) with the lacking information on (or people's understanding of) how the payout works :)
How can we understand, that node restart occurs?

P.S. One my MN gets payments correctly and second doesn't get payments at all after the latest update. Why developers ignore this problem???

jiggytom

Nov 14, 2014

P.S. One my MN gets payments correctly and second doesn't get payments at all after the latest update. Why developers ignore this problem???
I believe this has to do with the reference node people speak of..and I know Evan is aware and working on a solution to remove the reference node all together.

jpr

May 11, 2014
It depends on a few factors: The number of masternodes vs blocktime and a possible node restart.

Let's say there are ~1440 masternodes and roughly every 2 minutes a block is found. In a worst case scenario your masternode would get paid last, so 1440 x 2 minutes = about 48 hours.

Now add in the factor that a node restart is neccesairy. In this example it has to be restarted after Masternode# 1200 is paid (and yours isn't yet). 1440 x 2 minutes + 1200 x 2 minutes = 88 hours.

Do mind that this all is just a worst-case example explaining how it roughly works and because of the "randomness" your Masternode can either receive nothing for a few days or get 2 payements pretty fast after eachother.

Edit;
To aprox calculate the time between blocks check http://explorer.darkcoin.io/chain/Darkcoin
For the number of currently active masternodes check the bottom of the page https://drk.mn/
Ok so the worst case would be 88 hours.
My node: http://explorer.darkcoin.fr/address/XiQSULbSV2WphaX4zc34urCxSkxBFjHv3i has not been paid yet and it' been 88h :) You guys think I should restart it or something? Or just keep waiting?

CODERsp

Jul 5, 2014
So, I'm very happy, because now I've got payment at my completely restarted node after about 1700 blocks.

CODERsp

Jul 5, 2014
Why did you restart? Do you think you got payment because of that?
My second masternode had no payments yet, so I decided to reinstall it. It worked under send-many command and after last update I moved it to dedicated wallet, but I copied datadir instead of downloading it from peers. Also, I used the same privkey and didn't create zero-address. So, maybe reinstallation will help. I'll post about results later

Reactions: jpr

UdjinM6

Official Dash Dev
Dash Core Team
May 20, 2014

We don't. But we simply can't fix everything overnight. We are moving to new code base now and fixing things at the same time.
https://darkcointalk.org/threads/wallet-unlock-bug.3206/#post-33253

Reference node is a temporary solution anyway and actually it works good (in general). But to make things work at 100% we need to implement a bulletproof way to keep network consensus without this node and that's not a trivial problem. One mistake there could cause huge troubles incomparable to few days of missed payments.

...network nodes failed to agree on a common ledger, essentially creating twin transaction histories that the development team later corrected over a period of several hours. This process resulted in the loss of customer funds on at least one exchange...
...In the meantime, the Stellar transaction network will run on a single verifying node in order to avoid similar problems while the new protocol is being developed...
...A new white paper featuring the proposed consensus protocol, as well as its code are expected to be released in the next few months, she continued....
https://www.coindesk.com/stability-questions-dog-ripple-protocol-stellar-fork/

Btw my MN missed payment for ~5 days too... I just let it run and it got payment finally. So we are all in the same boat ;)

PS.
So, I'm very happy, because now I've got payment at my completely restarted node after about 1700 blocks.
Congrats! :)

CODERsp

Jul 5, 2014
UdjinM6, thanks for the answer. I simply wanted to pay attention on this problem and get declaration that problem exists, because there was no answer and some users told that there's nothing to fix. Thanks for the job you do.

oblox

Aug 6, 2014
UdjinM6, thanks for the answer. I simply wanted to pay attention on this problem and get declaration that problem exists, because there was no answer and some users told that there's nothing to fix. Thanks for the job you do.
He acknowledged it 10 days ago in this thread...

jpr

May 11, 2014
Ok this shit is weird. I was not happy about nearly 4 days without a payment so I restarted my node about an hour ago. 10 min ago I got paid.

moli

Grizzled Member
Aug 5, 2014
I hope version 0.11.xx will be much better for both Masternodes and Darksend. Can't wait to test it.

Reactions: vertoe

Miner237

Foundation Member
May 28, 2014
I restarted mine on a new wallet address when 1350 mn were active got first award after ~1800 blocks took about 2 days

crowning

May 29, 2014
Alpha Centauri Bc
4160 blocks without payment. Maybe this Masternode only accepts cheques?

Edit: after 4419 blocks the cheque finally arrived. New world record...
New record: another one of my Masternodes is at 6368 blocks without payments and still counting.

My conspired theory is that Evan always waits until this one _would_ get payed and restarts the reference node shortly before it.

I'll call this one "Murphy's Node" :)