• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Let's talk branding

Haha, yes, we are definitely coming closer.

It's not about Blue, Red, White. It's about the way that they have been used. As I said above, we currently look like our identity has come from a kid using paint, rather than a professional using indesign and photoshop.

The Ethereum stuff was just an example of how using a good professional graphic design agency can highlight your identity. Stick to who we are but just highlight it by using a professional design agency.

i hear u

i do not have these color issues i have to say,
did proper calibrate your monitor ? you double check your monitor color setting and color space used ?
+
we are in this direction now (more than the blue and all - just to be clear)
N5sv48P.png

any examples where the colors really "bite " you ?

i hear u

i do not have these color issues i have to say,
did proper calibrate your monitor ? you double check your monitor color setting and color space used ?
+
we are in this direction now (more than the blue and all - just to be clear)
N5sv48P.png

any examples where the colors really "bite " you ?

Yes, everything is fine there. This isn't just me speaking up https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/pre-proposal-discussion-branding-colors.8790/, multiple people see that something is wrong but its hard to fix it when we aren't professional graphic designers.
I don't think I can point it out any better than I have. It is hard to say that what we have is bad when I can't provide a better example of how it should be. I have contacted www.proofofwork.media to see if they could come in here and maybe give us a little example of what they could do for us. I guess we will just have to wait to see if they show up.

Yes, everything is fine there. This isn't just me speaking up https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/pre-proposal-discussion-branding-colors.8790/, multiple people see that something is wrong but its hard to fix it when we aren't professional graphic designers.
I don't think I can point it out any better than I have. It is hard to say that what we have is bad when I can't provide a better example of how it should be. I have contacted www.proofofwork.media to see if they could come in here and maybe give us a little example of what they could do for us. I guess we will just have to wait to see if they show up.

no offence
but in visual things like that there will always be different opinions , some like it , some do not - same same and always will be

as u contacted them already let's see what they say, and they will definately say something , as they want that contract from us :rolleyes:

I absolutely agree. Our colour scheme is way outdated. Way way way too saturated and, well, uninteresting to say the least.

We can definitely should do something about it. But, and this is a huge BIG but... It is far more important to be coherent about our strategic roll-out than nitpick about these issues and start changing things. I'm not talking about the workload in re-doing EVERYHTING ... no... I'm talking about exterior perception and project strategy.

You can't be fresh and innovative by being a chameleon. Our name change was extremely necessary but "bad" enough as it is, it was really necessary to do it in record time, and the results show. But if we change colours now it is a shot in the foot. We are perfectly established, and no amount of rebranding is going to benefit us at this moment.

We should think and prepare for our next milestone. Evolution. Make our strong point really really strong and well thought out, and mainly, well played out. We have lots of time to think this though properly

Last edited:
Proof of Work Media founders here

First, we'd like to thank Matthew and Andy for encouraging us to post to this thread.

Since we never posted a proposal to a public forum before (we're currently working with another DAO which posted our proposal to their public forum and that was a first too), we're not exactly sure what is appropriate. We've worked with Blockchain and decentralised tech and governance related companies full-time for the last 3 years. Our core work is around design, branding, video animation, communication and film-making.

If there are any questions that the community has for us regarding our creative process and how we'll go about a re-brand, we'll try to answer them all.

*side notes:
We're long time Darkcoin/Dash fans.
@tungfa - we answered because we like and appreciate Dash and of course we want the contract ;)

First, we'd like to thank Matthew and Andy for encouraging us to post to this thread.

Since we never posted a proposal to a public forum before (we're currently working with another DAO which posted our proposal to their public forum and that was a first too), we're not exactly sure what is appropriate. We've worked with Blockchain and decentralised tech and governance related companies full-time for the last 3 years. Our core work is around design, branding, video animation, communication and film-making.

If there are any questions that the community has for us regarding our creative process and how we'll go about a re-brand, we'll try to answer them all.

*side notes:
@tungfa - we answered because we like and appreciate Dash and of course we want the contract ;)
Hi guys, thanks for checking in

Obviously we have already rebranded from Darkcoin to Dash and the community appears to be very happy with that decision, however the reason I brought this to yours and ours attention is because I believe that our Design is lacking. So it is not so much of a rebrand that I had in mind but more of a touch up on what we already have.

Could you provide any mock up examples of some work that you could potentially do for Dash? I think the community would love to see what kind of a look you could potentially bring to Dash.

*side notes:

This just got interesting hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

A few more thoughts that might help you guys and understand our approach and how we may be able to help.

First thing to understand is that when discussing visual look & feel opinions are always subjective, everyone has a different view on what looks good and what they like. Its easy to go round in circles. Forever.

However, when branding something you want to move beyond subjective opinion and create something that conveys what the brand is all about. The starting point is to create a Branding Brief. This is description of what the brand stands for, its market positioning, its underlying attributes, its tone and its target audience. Think what are the attributes, Fast? Secretive? Private? Serious? Happy? etc.

Once there is an agreed Branding Brief in place then the tools of composition, colour and typography can be applied to create a visual representation of the brand. But this is a brand that is created by reasoning not subjectivity.

Your brand is what you are communicating to the world. We did a quick survey with a few non crypto people on the current brand; sports team, masculine, corporate, American and 1990’s feel were some of the more surprising attributes that came back.

If you guys would like to work with us, and we’d love to work with you, the the first step would be to create the Branding Brief. The next step would then be to produce a selection of visual routes that deliver against the Branding Brief.

What we need to understand is how best to engage with the community, the process for submitting a proposal, who deals and signs off payments, who will feedback and sign off on the work itself.

i think branding isn't something that should be decided by people with no graphical-design education (including me). Just give it to someone who does and has a good portfolio and let them do it. otherwise things will drag on.

BTW I don't see a big problem with the current branding but I would bet 10 Dash that if you showed any heavy-weight graphic designer our colors like the red lines etc they would say 'bad'. (could be totally wrong and not saying we need to change anything :))

Last edited:
OMG! Ethereum t-shirts! That's what DIGITAL CASH need asap!

PS: Any "brand-makers" care about color of dollars/euros/rupees or only about numbers they get for "branding"?

A few more thoughts that might help you guys and understand our approach and how we may be able to help.

First thing to understand is that when discussing visual look & feel opinions are always subjective, everyone has a different view on what looks good and what they like. Its easy to go round in circles. Forever.

However, when branding something you want to move beyond subjective opinion and create something that conveys what the brand is all about. The starting point is to create a Branding Brief. This is description of what the brand stands for, its market positioning, its underlying attributes, its tone and its target audience. Think what are the attributes, Fast? Secretive? Private? Serious? Happy? etc.

Once there is an agreed Branding Brief in place then the tools of composition, colour and typography can be applied to create a visual representation of the brand. But this is a brand that is created by reasoning not subjectivity.

Your brand is what you are communicating to the world. We did a quick survey with a few non crypto people on the current brand; sports team, masculine, corporate, American and 1990’s feel were some of the more surprising attributes that came back.

If you guys would like to work with us, and we’d love to work with you, the the first step would be to create the Branding Brief. The next step would then be to produce a selection of visual routes that deliver against the Branding Brief.

What we need to understand is how best to engage with the community, the process for submitting a proposal, who deals and signs off payments, who will feedback and sign off on the work itself.
Hi guys,

Thank you, that is an extensive write up and it makes it a lot easier for us to understand what you do and how you do it. It was interesting to hear how our brand was perceived by non crypto people.

To answer the questions that you asked:

1. The best way to engage the community is to submit a pre-proposal discussion to gauge interest, here is an example of one https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/pre-proposal-discussion-d10e-conference-sponsorship.8984

2. Proposals can be easily submitted using www.dashwhale.org

3. I think the sign off would go to our project manager @kot and in terms of the payment, the payment would go directly to you from our blockchain (no middle man).

I hope this answers your questions. Please also be aware that the team is currently testing V12.1 on testnet so there may not be heaps of engagement throughout the forums. It might actually be best to hold off on the pre-proposal discussion for a couple of weeks while V12.1 is implemented as I doubt there will be much time for discussion during this testing phase.

hey guys
(great webpage/ good portfolios)
there is no question that out branding need some professional work and support eventually ,
but
I am not sure if you followed the history of Dash
we (as Dash brand) went though 3 names changes (XCoin, Darkcoin, Dash) incl multiple colour themes, different graphics , dark-light.... in only 2,5 years !
we are now (1st time ever) at a point where (nearly) all pages , apps , guides, videos , CI ,... are using the same graphics.

we have to slow this (rebranding every 6 month) down ! we are only confusing the market and customers with constant changes

as you might know we have big changes in the pipeline with Evolution coming .(end of the year)
as discuss internally already, evolution launch will be the perfect opportunity to consider a rebranding (new corporate identity).

I suggest to hold off with this rebranding idea until Sep/ October, as now with summer coming , and no big events in the planning I believe it would be a waist of time and effort to look into rebranding now !
I know parts of the community want this changed asap , even though the discussion sways from "fixing colors" to full rebranding
In branding (and a lot of other things) timing. is essential , new community members who might be pushing this now do not seem to consider the changes we went though (maybe before they came on board) before.

I suggest (again) holding off with this idea for 4-5 month or so and than start this discussion back up with a good plan and need for rebranding ! (now it just would be a fix before the important stuff / Evo actually comes)

sure you and the community are free to do a proposal and take this to the next level
I personally advice against it for the reasons posted above

PS
the branding Dash is using now are NOT mine , they got voted in by the community (and were not my 1st choice) last year

Last edited:
I suggest (again) holding off with this idea for 4-5 month or so and than start this discussion back up with a good plan and need for rebranding ! (now it just would be a fix before the important stuff / Evo actually comes)

I generally agree with your post, but actually implementing a new branding is different from just market research or planning for a new brand to be used later at the appropriate time. I am not quite sure which is the intent behind the proposal here. With regard to the latter, is there any information that you expect we will have in 4-5 months, that would be relevant in the planning for a new branding, that we do not have already? If yes, then it would make sense to hold off on any planning, but if no, I don't see any particular drawback to starting the process now even if it will not be immediately implemented.

I generally agree with your post, but actually implementing a new branding is different from just market research or planning for a new brand to be used later at the appropriate time. I am not quite sure which is the intent behind the proposal here. With regard to the latter, is there any information that you expect we will have in 4-5 months, that would be relevant in the planning for a new branding, that we do not have already? If yes, then it would make sense to hold off on any planning, but if no, I don't see any particular drawback to starting the process now even if it will not be immediately implemented.

I am still not 100% sure what the intent for this proposal is as well
there are 2 different conversations going on
- fixing colors (nobody yet gave me an example where the colors "bite" them)
- rebranding Corporate Identity

Fixing color:
i personal do NOT see the need for that + it will be a ton of work to change everything (all apps, pages, guides, videos, banners, channels,....)
only to fix a little of red and make blue a little something (i guess what was suggested above somewhere as well)
and than do it all again when we actually have a CI

Rebranding Corporate Identity
if we start it now
we will have a new Corporate Identity in (lets say) 1-2 month latest
what do we do than ?
- rebrand everything (in 1-2 month) and blow our ideas (and excitement) for Evo rebrand ?
(than we definitely can not do anything new exciting for Evo as we can not rebrand every 6 month again and again)
- wait for Evo to launch and use new branding than (end of the year),
we will have these new graphics sitting around for 6 month doing nothing (and getting old + losing momentum = community will be asking for a rebranding soon after again, as they saw these new CI by summer '16 (even not implemented) and by Januar '17 they will say: 'CI looks soooooo old ') ?
:rolleyes:

i belive we would have all information for Evo already, but as it goes (and we have seen many times) things change and get implemented
i still suggest to wait, as there is no rush with this
(Tech 1st - branding after)
i do not understand where the rush is coming from, there is no need to overtake ourself here

I agree with @tungfa that it is not the time for this. I don't like our colors and logo too much, but we have changed even the name in the last 14 months, so I think we need some stability. Current colours and logo happened when we didn't have funds for this kind of stuff and probably the result is not as good as it would have been with a real agency, but now that we have them I would wait to avoid driving the market crazy. Worse than suboptimal image is a different image in every site.

We are gonna go into a phase of frequent updates to the software. Managing to push that to all the ecosystem is by itself a huge task, I would not add anything extra to what we have to ask everyone to do.

Anyway, as someone has said before, everyone is free to make a proposal. Or to use whatever colors and images he feels in this materials. I was tired of logos with our colors and font in all sites and did a completely different thing for dashpodcast.com and for a recent presentation at a bitcoin meetup.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
More newbie stuff from the likes of > me < and I see another crisis looming, if not already present...

It does have direct conflict with branding, and marketing, and should have immediate attention from those dealing with such events.

I use cryptocompareDOTcom a few times each day to view DASH in relationship with other crypto.
On This day, a new coin appeared upon the chart called 'The DAO', and they employ a logo/brand quite similar to the stylized D for DASH.

IMO, objection should be made to this usurpation, immediately.
It should Not have been allowed.

Would Someone please direct attention to this discrepancy ?
It could quite easily create confusion in the marketplace.

Best
rc

Back