• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Electrum-Dash with Trezor support released!

Hardware cold storage, super, hiper secure place ;) and once there will be a masternode start feature I`m gonna buy one ;)
TREZOR is a great product and I definitely recommend it, but I don't want people getting the impression that it's "cold storage." Signing of transactions takes place on the device itself which isn't technically "online," but it interfaces with a wallet that is. It's more like a hyper-secure hot wallet that's immune to keyloggers.

That's not to say I wouldn't trust large amounts of crypto on TREZOR - I would, and it's far easier to use and set up than true cold storage. But cold storage it ain't, as many OPSEC/IT fanatics will tell you.

TREZOR is a great product and I definitely recommend it, but I don't want people getting the impression that it's "cold storage." Signing of transactions takes place on the device itself which isn't technically "online," but it interfaces with a wallet that is. It's more like a hyper-secure hot wallet that's immune to keyloggers.

That's not to say I wouldn't trust large amounts of crypto on TREZOR - I would, and it's far easier to use and set up than true cold storage. But cold storage it ain't, as many OPSEC/IT fanatics will tell you.

So by your definition, "cold storage" is a keypair which is generated completely offline, and from which not a single coin is spent from, nor signed to prove ownership publicly?

There is no cold storage possible for masternode use, by that definition.

The trezor does not simply protect against keyloggers. It is just as good, if not better, than using a completely offline computer to sign transactions. In fact, that's exactly what it is.

Question !
i have an email from a Community Member who is asking :

I am on a Mac, using Electrum Wallet,
all my coins are confirmed and i am trying to send but get this error message !!?
bK8wAvY.jpg

Can somebody please point me in the right direction ?
i have no idea about this problem ?
fernando
tx

Question !
i have an email from a Community Member who is asking :

I am on a Mac, using Electrum Wallet,
all my coins are confirmed and i am trying to send but get this error message !!?
bK8wAvY.jpg

Can somebody please point me in the right direction ?
i have no idea about this problem ?
fernando
tx
It looks like she's using a watch only wallet, and thus she can't sign transactions because she doesn't have the private keys there. If this is not intentional it could be that she made some mistake when creating the wallet. If you restore a wallet and only paste the public keys, it is a watch only wallet and you can't send transactions from there. If you want it to be a fully functional wallet you need to paste the private keys or the seed phrase. Full details here (it is for BTC Electrum, but it works the same way):
http://docs.electrum.org/en/latest/coldstorage.html

How can the .pkg be extracted? On ubuntu here but I have a hard time figuring it out :)

btw the forum Dash price is shown incorrectly.

I just bought a Trezor. Looking forward to trying it out and also to testing out the MN functionality when it gets here.

There shouldn't be any issues running BOTH the Dash Core wallet and an Electrum wallet at the same time, correct?

I just bought a Trezor. Looking forward to trying it out and also to testing out the MN functionality when it gets here.

There shouldn't be any issues running BOTH the Dash Core wallet and an Electrum wallet at the same time, correct?

yes correct
run Dash / BTC parallel on 1 devise !
check the guides on wiki please

Running Dash Core and Electrum-Dash simultaneously should not be a problem at all, given that they use different data folders, connect to different servers, and use completely different wallet structures anyway.

Just a small bit of advice to anyone who is using Electrum for the first time or is unfamiliar with HD wallets:

Do not use the import/sweep private key function to add money to it. If you import a private key from a standard wallet, it will not be recoverable with your 13-word mnemonic backup of your wallet. The mnemonic only backs up all of the private keys determined from it, and you might forget to individually backup the private keys again for any money you imported. That's the beauty of using an HD wallet seed; you don't have to save a bunch of addresses and sub-addresses and all kinds of private keys for each, you should be able to just rebuild completely from the mnemonic.

Another thing to remember is to never export private keys of an HD wallet. If you export a private key from your HD wallet, then try to import it instead of rebuilding from your seed, that will seriously compromise security, as an attacker only needs your master public key + one single private key from any one of the addresses to try to rebuild your seed and gain access to every other address in your HD wallet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back