• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Development Update - August 19, 2014

I can't imagine that would work. Think about it, if we had 10,000 masternodes, then it would take years to get your payday. Actually, I thought that the funds collected every block would be paid to the current winning masternode.

I'm wondering why masternode tor would be faster than the tor network? Also, how do we keep our advantage. If our tor is open sourced, then everyone will offer the service with their coin. And as Toknormal on BCT said, we'd then have heavy competition. Yet we need to be able to pay for our band width. How can we avoid this?

Finally, I do see this as the foundation for private messaging and phone calls like Skype and conferencing. If we get this that far, it would be amazing! Oh, and email!

[email protected]

Oh yah, and another person suggested masternodes should somehow be paid according to their bandwidth. Those that offer more, get paid more... does bandwidth kinda = speed? I think that's what they meant... LOL

Yeah, when he's saying speed he's saying bandwidth. With Tor you experience variable speed, but it is almost always quite slow. The owners of the relays don't get paid, so there is no incentive to pay for good servers.

As for competition and other coins copying us, that is easier said than done. Our masternode network is a competitive advantage quite difficult to replicate. Also, nobody is saying this is gonna be a huge success that everyone will be eager to copy. The market is crowded with VPN providers and competing with them is not gonna be easy at all. We may be able to implement this feature technically and then not be able to sell it to the market. I think this can be a big success, but only with a lot of work that not everyone will be able/eager to do.

In my opinion, the important thing in the announcement is that it shows that the masternode network is valuable and that it can be used for other things.

Woah, I went away for 2 weeks on summer travelling and this happens :eek: price went crazy and update announcements are even crazier!

Great work Evan and team doing all this in such a short time, people are impatient now and they don't like waiting; but good things takes time.

There are allot of VPN providers that offer Unmetered bandwidth.
Go to http://www.exoticvps.com/ and click on sort by bandwidth.

Many are even cheaper than Amazon.

I use vultr and I have a 1000Gb transfer allowance, for this I get a VPS for $5 a month. My MN is using between 500Mb and 1Gb per day at the moment so plenty of headroom there my friends! :tongue:

And if you look at the long term prices are constantly falling and specs increasing for VPS deployments so I don't think we'd ever be in a situation where running a MN would become unprofitable... Famous last words I know...:eek:

Competition is inevitable if something is successful and DarkTor would be no different but first mover advantage is very important and a secure 'DRKnet' isn't something that's easy to replicate if you think about it...

First problem is scale. What makes DRKnet secure and private is the whole darkcoin infrastructure, and then the ever growing number of MNs that sit on top of it. I'm not saying that it can't be done but you would need a large group of organized people with deep pockets to get a clone underway, and even then how do you persuade lots of happy users to switch from a solution that works very well for them to take a risk on another solution that's identical but doesn't have the size, scale and reputation of DRK?

The power of the network effect cannot be underestimated and once we are seen as the go to network for anonymous services such as web, email, money transfer, (add services heres...) then it will be very difficult to compete with us without innovating in some other way. Just copying us is very flattering but there's only one facebook, there's only one Ebay, there's only one twitter etc. Yes, they have competition, but the network effect ensures they have complete dominance of their respective markets. DRK would be no different in this instance...

Walter

Don't focus only on a closed apple like ecosystem. A paid tor network on the masternodes is imo a good idea, but don't close the door to other developments with "dark apps". There is bitxbay, a decentralized market already working with bitcoins, there is openbazaar coming. These markets are also important.

All those who have problems with Bandwidth. I can recommend you http://ecatel.info They offer dedicated servers(yes dedicated, not VPS) starting at 30 EUR per month with standard package of 10 TB bandwidth per month. Their servers are located in the Netherlands and are Tor exit node friendly.

This DarkTor idea is pretty good, but a better idea is a decentralized marketplace.

All those who have problems with Bandwidth. I can recommend you http://ecatel.info They offer dedicated servers(yes dedicated, not VPS) starting at 30 EUR per month with standard package of 10 TB bandwidth per month. Their servers are located in the Netherlands and are Tor exit node friendly.

This DarkTor idea is pretty good, but a better idea is a decentralized marketplace.

I thought that was the point of integrating with OpenBaazar.

Please release darksend under GPLv3 license! What would be the point if you release Darksend under a non-copyleft license like MIT, Apache, etc, and allow any big bank or corporation to work your code into their proprietary products, and have more power? Defend software freedom! Free/Libre software defends freedom in society!

Last edited by a moderator:
Please release darksend under GPLv3 license! What would be the point if you release Darksend under a non-copyleft license like MIT, Apache, etc, and allow any big bank or corporation to work your code into their proprietary products, and have more power? Defend software freedom! Free/Libre software defends freedom in society!
I second that but it will be quite difficult, the original bit-, peer- and litecoin stuff is all licensed under MIT and you need to add a 2nd license to the project. might get messy.

http://stackoverflow.com/q/4035702/1260906

Yeah, when he's saying speed he's saying bandwidth. With Tor you experience variable speed, but it is almost always quite slow. The owners of the relays don't get paid, so there is no incentive to pay for good servers.

As for competition and other coins copying us, that is easier said than done. Our masternode network is a competitive advantage quite difficult to replicate. Also, nobody is saying this is gonna be a huge success that everyone will be eager to copy. The market is crowded with VPN providers and competing with them is not gonna be easy at all. We may be able to implement this feature technically and then not be able to sell it to the market. I think this can be a big success, but only with a lot of work that not everyone will be able/eager to do.

In my opinion, the important thing in the announcement is that it shows that the masternode network is valuable and that it can be used for other things.
I can't help but think on this constantly. And an idea kind of came to me. First I have to say my #1 concern is if Ethereum makes good on their plans. They have basically taken all the ideas we've put out there since March, and are building their platform to use those ideas. So how do we fortify our plans? I was wondering if maybe we could allow other nodes from other coins to plug into the system. Perhaps they could be relays and they could earn a small % of the income from the service, a split like we do with miners. That would make it so other people 1. can earn funds and 2. earn DRK funds. which would spread the use of DRK over any other coin and incentivize people to run a (regular) node.

I'm also thinking maybe our wallet could automatically hook into the p2pool network, so that a person could run their own miner, while being pooled with others, without the hassle of learning how to set p2pool up. That way, we'd have the strongest network ever, with the strongest p2pool network. I'd just want my home ip obfuscated. I would think that would be possible, no?

Discussion on bitcointalk about calling DarkTor " Web 3.0 "

Gets a +1 from me
Etherium is already calling their's that

I don't see a problem with duel licensing. It seems that Darksend has been kept separate all this time anyway, why not?

Etherium is already calling their's that

I don't see a problem with duel licensing. It seems that Darksend has been kept separate all this time anyway, why not?

We use Darksend to send Darkcoins over the Darknet.

The name alone will drive the NSA crazy :tongue:

I can't help but think on this constantly. And an idea kind of came to me. First I have to say my #1 concern is if Ethereum makes good on their plans. They have basically taken all the ideas we've put out there since March, and are building their platform to use those ideas. So how do we fortify our plans? I was wondering if maybe we could allow other nodes from other coins to plug into the system. Perhaps they could be relays and they could earn a small % of the income from the service, a split like we do with miners. That would make it so other people 1. can earn funds and 2. earn DRK funds. which would spread the use of DRK over any other coin and incentivize people to run a (regular) node.

I'm also thinking maybe our wallet could automatically hook into the p2pool network, so that a person could run their own miner, while being pooled with others, without the hassle of learning how to set p2pool up. That way, we'd have the strongest network ever, with the strongest p2pool network. I'd just want my home ip obfuscated. I would think that would be possible, no?

Isn't Ethereum created by the same guys who were previously involved in Mastercoin and MadeSafe scams? I have a feeling that, Ethereum folks have a habit of taking the money and not finishing the job or making your investment worthless.

Back