Development Update - August 19, 2014

GreyGhost

Foundation Member
Jun 4, 2014
Santa Monica, CA
regarding the legality:

Set up a darkcoin limited liability company. Then, somehow register darkcoin as a religion. Then, somehow buy a plot of land on an American Indian reservation. Then, code laws on your sovereign plot of land that includes any and all darkcoin users as members of your religion, company, indian tribe. Rinse and repeat until there are darkcoin safehavens in every country and state.

i'm halfway serious ; p
Oglala Lakota Tribe (it should be a nation, right?) is all about Bitcoin. Someone has to tell them:

2009 Bitcoin
2014 Darkcoin

Oglala source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasperh...erican-tribe-launches-its-own-cryptocurrency/

Jun 11, 2014
Prison
Yes! We should to coach them into taking any and every opportunity they can as a nation within the United States. They should be the soft drug, fireworks, gambling, cat housers, and crypto capitalists of the northern hemisphere.

And you know the united states would have a hard time fucking with them because it would be political suicide for anyone in office.

TanteStefana

Grizzled Member
Foundation Member
Mar 9, 2014
2 things:

1. I started a new windows wallet, and imported my denominated account numbers one by one. Toward the end, it wouldn't accept my last few accounts, as it kept freezing. Wallet is still freezing, and my new funds are considered unmixed. So don't bother with this, it's time consuming and didn't work :)

2. I was wondering if we had our own tor-like system, could it hook into the browser of the user's choice? Or do we have to create our own browser?

thelonecrouton

Foundation Member
Apr 15, 2014
2 things:

1. I started a new windows wallet, and imported my denominated account numbers one by one. Toward the end, it wouldn't accept my last few accounts, as it kept freezing. Wallet is still freezing, and my new funds are considered unmixed. So don't bother with this, it's time consuming and didn't work :)

2. I was wondering if we had our own tor-like system, could it hook into the browser of the user's choice? Or do we have to create our own browser?
1. Disable DS+, move all your coins into one address, then dumprivkey/importprivkey for that address only. Works fine for me.

2. I was thinking along the lines of, buy some time/bandwidth on the MasterNet in-wallet, get given a token to go with a proxy MN address, point your existing browser at the proxy... :)

TanteStefana

Grizzled Member
Foundation Member
Mar 9, 2014
1. Disable DS+, move all your coins into one address, then dumprivkey/importprivkey for that address only. Works fine for me.

2. I was thinking along the lines of, buy some time/bandwidth on the MasterNet in-wallet, get given a token to go with a proxy MN address, point your existing browser at the proxy... :)
1. Yah, I did that (a lot of work!) My funds were denominated already, but came out undenomonated (as not anonymous) AND my new wallet (windows 7, 64bit) continued to go non-responsive. I just transferred my fund to a new wallet. I'll have to see if this fixes the issue.

2. interesting idea.

Finally, another question. Does anyone know if, when you send your coins in for mixing, you are paired up with random people each time you do a cycle? Or is it likely that you're being paired up with the same person? If, for example, as I understand it, you go in every 10 rounds, then it's likely that you'll go in with the same person each time. Then when you spend your coins, there will be a known account at the input end and exit, undoing the rest, or am I wrong? certainly for one round and only two people, this isn't secure.

Another example, I had all my funds denominated. Now, I've sent them all to one address in a new wallet. It's obvious now that all those addresses belonged to one wallet. Will they expose all the people I've paired with (or person?) I went 3 rounds and if I went 3 rounds with the same person, that'd be a problem. (I think) Or?

Finally, one last question while I'm at it. What does the priority in the wallet mean and how do you set it (if possible). Sometimes it says low, some times low medium and sometimes medium. However, I don't see a way to set this? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

thelonecrouton

Foundation Member
Apr 15, 2014
Tante you don't have to move them denominated address by denominated address, just send the whole lot in one go to one (or a new) address, should only take a few seconds!

moli

Grizzled Member
Aug 5, 2014
I think how DS works is we have to wait for other people who are also mixing coins to pair with. That's why we see DS Status often says "Waiting for more entries". And it takes a long time when there're not many people doing the mixing, or your coins won't be anonymized at all when there's 0 person out there. I'm wondering if Evan can create a robotic mechanism to do the pairing so we don't have to wait, and it will be awesome to see anonymizing get done in just a few minutes instead of hours. Please correct me if I'm wrong or unrealistic! :)

TanteStefana

Grizzled Member
Foundation Member
Mar 9, 2014
Tante you don't have to move them denominated address by denominated address, just send the whole lot in one go to one (or a new) address, should only take a few seconds!
Yes, I know, but I wanted to keep the work I paid for, ie, denominated into anonymous addresses. I was able to transfer them into the new wallet, but they came up as non anonymous coins. AND the wallet was still laggy. So I eventually just sent the whole amount to a third wallet. So far that wallet seems to be acting normally, but I haven't tried denominating those funds yet.

Moli, you mean like have your wallet say "I'm ready to do some denominating, let me know when others are too" and when there is a match, then you wallet unlocks itself or something and they get denominated?

catlasshrugged

Aug 14, 2014
Is anyone else having trouble connecting to the testnet? I can't seem to get synched there, but my client does fine when connecting to the mainnet.

thelonecrouton

Foundation Member
Apr 15, 2014
Is anyone else having trouble connecting to the testnet? I can't seem to get synched there, but my client does fine when connecting to the mainnet.
Have you put testnet=1 in your darkcoin.conf?

What I do:
Rename my .darkcoin directory .darkcoin-mainnet
Create a new .darkcoin directory, create a file inside it called testnet.conf, and add testnet=1 to that file, nothing else (unless you're running a MN)
Fire up the client, it will populate the new .darkcoin dir with what it needs and sync up. Note that your testnet wallet.dat will reside inside a new testnet3 folder the client creates.

edit: if that doesn't work it may be a port issue, testnet runs on port 19999, you'll need that open on your router and unfirewalled on your machine.

moli

Grizzled Member
Aug 5, 2014
My wallet has been syncing to testnet since last night, no problem. But it took all night for 1 round of anonymizing so the anonymized balance was at 0. (The round was set at 2, amount to keep anonymized: 1000, and I had 1000 tdrk in the wallet.) Then the wallet was locked for a while, then unlocked. I could not send the coins using any funds except "No Preference", and it said "Darksent" when I sent the coins. I'm testing v.32 windows.

Reactions: catlasshrugged

moli

Grizzled Member
Aug 5, 2014
In the case I just had if that was what it is, I wouldn't have been able to send the drk at all because I could not use either "Anonymous" or "Non-Anonymous" funds. The money was stuck! "No Preference" should go. It's either Anon. or Non-Anon., and if the rounds cannot be completed, the funds should go back to Non-Anon and not get stuck in limbo.

AjM

Foundation Member
Jun 23, 2014
Finland
Maybe there should be Cancel option also, if user cant wait anon process to make complete.

Reactions: moli

moli

Grizzled Member
Aug 5, 2014
Strange... A few minutes ago I downloaded another 1000 tdrk and the amount got anonymized in a fast lightning bolt of drk light year... lol... I guess someone is doing testing on testnet also? Got 999 drk anonymized with 2 rounds in just a few minutes. I hope this will be the trend on main net. :) I'll be testing more rounds

vertoe

Three of Nine
Mar 28, 2014
Unimatrix Zero One
The dnsseed for testnet is down, resolving it currently

EDIT: dnsseed available again, your client should be able to sync again.
dnsseed for main net has also issues, I just had something like "got 0 peers from dns seed" in debug log on a fresh install and it never was able to connect to the network util I finally added a working IP manually.

Could you check that too?

flare

Grizzled Member
May 18, 2014
Germany
dnsseed for main net has also issues, I just had something like "got 0 peers from dns seed" in debug log on a fresh install and it never was able to connect to the network util I finally added a working IP manually.

Could you check that too?
Yep, one of the three mainnet dnsseeders has died - resolved.

Reactions: vertoe and karisu

Light

Foundation Member
Jun 4, 2014
Development Update: August 29th.

Quote from: eduffield on Today at 02:43:05 PM: "I'm thinking about opening the source at release of RC5. I've actually been having various close friends of mine look at the source and no one sees anything seriously wrong with it besides some organizational issues (which I'm working on now). I believe we're ready to go."

This was posted today at bitcointalk and it is exciting since we have about 1-4 weeks till RC5 and open source :rolleyes:

And then there was this document (The Darkcoin Foundation, INC.) , in case you were not as patient as me to go through the bitcointalk thread and find Evan's post below. I think this document is very important and strengthens the trust on Darkcoin technology and creates transparency. Investors know that they are not dealing with people who are hiding behind nicknames but real brave people who are revolutionizing the industry.

Quote from: eduffield on Today at 02:53:54: https://docs.google.com/document/d/143Uwls4ZZrN7pS7bWfjk03i90TWskjy8scNB2U0HOoo/edit

Light

Foundation Member
Jun 4, 2014
1 week? where does that come from? RC5 is ip obfuscation right? That will surely take a bit longer than that..
well, I got that from August 19th update which said: "The next 3-6 weeks will be spent creating the RC5 client which will have a few minor updates including some known issues resolved along with a basic gui that shows the current status of Darksend."

Based on that we have 1.5 - 4.5 weeks left, to be more precise ;) And devs will correct me if I am wrong but I don't think ip obfuscation is part of the RC5.