• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash Core Group Q2 2018 Summary Call - 10 August 2018

kot

Masternode Owner/Operator
Dear Community Members,

This is to inform the upcoming Dash Core Group Inc. quarterly call to discuss project progress made during Q2 2018, summarise Core Team activities and answer Community questions.

The call will take place on Friday, 10th of August at 05:00 AM UTC and will be streamed live on Youtube and also recorded and shared on the Dash Youtube channel.

The link to the Youtube stream:

Please prepare and submit your questions here in this thread.
I suggest to send one question per user, as there will be limited time for answers.

Thank you
Robert Wiecko

Presentation slides: https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/...sh-Core-Group-Q2-2018-Summary-Call.pdf?api=v2

Last edited:
Awesome! :)

Question 1: Several third party services and companies have commented that Dash's developers were some of the most difficult to get a hold of in the cryptocurrency space. Why is this, and what is planned to remedy the situation?

Question 2: Follow up on the first one: Who is the best person (and by which medium) to contact for the following purposes: general developer questions, business integrations (may require discussion of fiat conversion options, legal/accounting, etc.), and technical integrations (how to technically integrate Dash, InstantSend, PrivateSend, etc., purely technical)? What is the estimated turnaround time for each?

Question 3: Several installments of "what's going on in Dash?" have alluded to some business integrations being placed on hold due to limited funding. Understanding confidentiality and redaction of sensitive information, has Business Development explored the possibility of separately funding specific integration arrangements, whether via separate treasury proposals, DashBoost proposals, or community crowdfunds?

Thanks again for the time!

Have critical price levels over the span of specific timeframes been identified that would be expected to have an immediate impact on DCG's operations due to insufficient funding? Is there a contingency plan for further unforeseen contractions in the market beyond the temporary buffer that is currently in place? Do MNOs have reason to be concerned about the continuation of DCG in its current state in the event of this bleak scenario actually taking place?

Regarding PDF of 24 July 2018, "What's Going on at Dash?"

Where is the DIP for blockchain users, referenced under DAPI?

Namespace specifications ("blockchain users") represents a significant and lasting development. This, therefore, should be explained to, and approved by, masternodes.

1. Dash and Wirex announced an integration at last year's Dash conference, but Dash is still not supported in the app, while other cryptocurrencies have been integrated in the meantime. What is the status of this?

2. What is the status of the website refresh?

3. During the recent protocol upgrade, the network was held back by large mining pools being slow to update. How can this be mitigated in the future?

Does the Dash Core Team have specific plans to attack the remittance market in Venezuela (or India, or anywhere), or would they prefer to see that come up independently through the proposal process?

Would it be possible to have privatesend include one denomination lower, 0.001 dash, in the 12.4 release?

Is privatesend on mobile possible with the dips described for 12.4, or is evolution needed as well?

Does the Dash Core Team have specific plans to attack the remittance market in Venezuela (or India, or anywhere), or would they prefer to see that come up independently through the proposal process?

IMO, this is outside of core, and I would prefer this came from the community. They are already paving the way.

IMO, this is outside of core, and I would prefer this came from the community. They are already paving the way.

IMO, I agree. But I don't want to see duplicate efforts or step on toes, thus, it would be great to hear it from Core directly.

• Are there any updates from Dash Labs forthcoming and if so what are they?

• What is ASU currently researching and when can we expect more insights into scaling, block propagation, optimum node count etc.?

• Do you see collateralized mining as a feasible way to address the mining centralization problems that are plaguing cryptocurrency in general and, considering the slow upgrade process to 12.3, Dash in specific? Is anyone from Core seriously researching that solution?

Last edited:
Good questions.

Any comment/update on your claim last year that "PrivateSend is going to be massively overhauled. I'm not allowed to share details because moocowmoo would kill me, but I can assure you: You'll be surprised what Andy Freer came up with. It involves vastly reduced tx sizes"?

Or is moocowmoo still refusing to allow you to divulge additional information about what Andy came up with?

I'm not working as a spokesperson for Dash Core, neither did I pretend to be, since it was just me recalling a private conversation I had, so as far as anyone is concerned I could've pulled that quote out of my butt. Not saying that I have, but dragging it in here and pretending as though it was some kind of "promise" directly from Core is a gross misrepresentation. If anything that was a personal interpretation of information given to me from a DCG member who does not work directly on the feature in question.

More importantly: The quote is 15 months old and a lot could have changed behind the scenes since then. We're not waiting for a new roadmap for no reason.

Edit: Quote in question along with emphasis added:

2. What is the status of the "massively overhauled" PrivateSend featuring "vastly reduced tx sizes" promised one year ago at https://www.reddit.com/r/dashpay/co...oadmap_through_evolution_and_beyond/dhfv29r/?

Last edited:
no updates from evan or dashlabs
i see evan frequently , they are working / researching a bunch of stuff but nothing to report
up to them what they wanna disclose or not

Thanks tungfa. I keep forgetting that you have "direct access" :D

You stated without any qualification "PrivateSend is going to be massively overhauled." And then said "I can assure you: You'll be surprised what Andy Freer came up with. It involves vastly reduced tx sizes."

I know English isn't your first language so this is probably just a silly misunderstanding based on my use of "promise" as a synonym of "assure" (see https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/thesaurus/assure for details).

Regardless, you are entirely correct that only the inner circle at Dash Core can solve the mystery of what has or has not happened w/r/t PrivateSend's massive overhaul in the 15 months since you related those tantalizing rumors. :p

To make it short: The statement was valid when I made it.

I can't possibly know if it still is today but I'm not going back on what I said: What I was shown was an impressive innovation re. privacy and state transitions with bits and pieces from a whitepaper that in part went over my head. To qualify it further would be to break the actual promise I've given Moo. But IMO it was still important to let people know that work is being done to improve PS and I strongly doubt they've given up on it.

I don't expect Andy Freer to be part of the Call, so unfortunately I don't expect clarifications on that issue either.

1) Does Core have any comments on Dash's performance relative to other projects. i.e. moving from 4th place to 15th place in 6 months? What does core attribute to this drop? How can core play a role in increasing investor confidence. (not hype).

2) When will the community see something substantial from Evolution. We are all still living on faith. No substantial DIPs have been released etc despite having the patent filed for a long time etc

3) Will Dash Core conduct alpha/beta testing with different audiences for the Evolution DashPay wallet? There is no room for error, the UI and experience needs to be spot on and meet the vision of "so easy your grandma could use it"

4) Can the Whats going on at Dash reports please be uploaded to a platform which can be accessed by everyone (i.e. Medium or Dash blog), not just in the forums. This has been asked many times but never actioned.

5) There has not been any significant or major integrations or Exchange additions for a VERY long time. Can the core team explain if they are actively pursuing these opportunities? or only when they are presented to them?

6) Has the Evolution username system been finalized as of yet. i.e. will it be unique usernames or allow users to change/have same?

7) The Copay beta release was seen as a disaster, additionally, the there was no quality assurance or internal testing done for the beta releases which resulted in simple features not working. What is core doing to ensure delivery quality is upheld so that we dont have these issues again?

8) Dash conference 2018 - updates, is it happening?

9) As the Chief Architect, Andy, what is he actually doing, we have someone who is the heart of Evolution and he is a ghost. He has been in this position for years, but nobody has heard him speak, seen an article from him, or knows what he does?

If these are all not addressed during the call, I would expect that someone from core will address post the meeting in this thread.

Last edited:
3) There has not been any significant or major integrations or Exchange additions for a VERY long time. Can the core team explain if they are actively pursuing these opportunities? or only when they are presented to them?

This doesn't address the question of what is considered significant, but we are still being added to exchanges on a regular basis. I make a best-effort attempt to track that in the documentation. Viewing the history of the How to buy page can give some idea of recent exchange integrations: https://github.com/dashpay/docs/commits/master/introduction/how-to-buy.rst

How big is the current remaining marketing budget? What does core plan to achieve with these funds and over which timeframe do you plan to spend these funds?

The dash treasury is currently under significant pressure. While Core is building significant buffers other important Dash businesses stand to go bankrupt. It is currently unclear if MNOs prefer Core having unused marketing funds over continuing other activities.

Depending on your answer I might put in a proposal to request DCG to redistribute marketing funds to the highest ranked, unfunded and above 10% treasury proposals of the current cycle. Would you follow such instruction by the masternode community?

Will the updates to Dash this year allow the software to create sub assets?

Now that bitcoin cash has announced it will pursue colored coin tech, will this have an impact on Dashs competitve advantage?

How do the core groups expenses vs deliverables compare to industry averages?

How big is the current remaining marketing budget? What does core plan to achieve with these funds and over which timeframe do you plan to spend these funds?

The dash treasury is currently under significant pressure. While Core is building significant buffers other important Dash businesses stand to go bankrupt. It is currently unclear if MNOs prefer Core having unused marketing funds over continuing other activities.

Depending on your answer I might put in a proposal to request DCG to redistribute marketing funds to the highest ranked, unfunded and above 10% treasury proposals of the current cycle. Would you follow such instruction by the masternode community?

I fully support this approach.

Is DCG willing to temporarily suspend non-developmental functions and use its substantial liquidity to financially support an organization like the Dash Embassy D-A-CH which has a stellar reputation and track record but is in acute danger of falling apart forever due to 2 straight months (July+August) of not being funded?

I'm not talking about full funding of the budget ask, but enough to keep them running for now, because you don't want to lose this kind of talent. Think about the highly unprofessional image the Dash network would convey to prospective business partners in that region if the organization suddenly disappeared. Please keep them on life support with skeleton funding until the situation eases up.

Disclaimer: I am not an employee of the Dash Embassy and I receive no compensation of any sort for this suggestion. I am only a strong supporter of people who get stuff done but don't receive nearly as much recognition as they deserve.

Back