Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

Dash Core Group Q2 2018 Summary Call - 10 August 2018

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by kot, Aug 2, 2018.

1. kot

kot Well-known Member
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member

Dear Community Members,

This is to inform the upcoming Dash Core Group Inc. quarterly call to discuss project progress made during Q2 2018, summarise Core Team activities and answer Community questions.

The call will take place on Friday, 10th of August at 05:00 AM UTC and will be streamed live on Youtube and also recorded and shared on the Dash Youtube channel.

The link to the Youtube stream:

Please prepare and submit your questions here in this thread.
    I suggest to send one question per user, as there will be limited time for answers.

Thank you
    Robert Wiecko

Presentation slides: https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/...sh-Core-Group-Q2-2018-Summary-Call.pdf?api=v2

#1 kot, Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 10
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. thedesertlynx

thedesertlynx Active Member

Awesome! :)

Question 1: Several third party services and companies have commented that Dash's developers were some of the most difficult to get a hold of in the cryptocurrency space. Why is this, and what is planned to remedy the situation?

Question 2: Follow up on the first one: Who is the best person (and by which medium) to contact for the following purposes: general developer questions, business integrations (may require discussion of fiat conversion options, legal/accounting, etc.), and technical integrations (how to technically integrate Dash, InstantSend, PrivateSend, etc., purely technical)? What is the estimated turnaround time for each?

Question 3: Several installments of "what's going on in Dash?" have alluded to some business integrations being placed on hold due to limited funding. Understanding confidentiality and redaction of sensitive information, has Business Development explored the possibility of separately funding specific integration arrangements, whether via separate treasury proposals, DashBoost proposals, or community crowdfunds?

Thanks again for the time!

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. foxtrot

foxtrot New Member

Have critical price levels over the span of specific timeframes been identified that would be expected to have an immediate impact on DCG's operations due to insufficient funding? Is there a contingency plan for further unforeseen contractions in the market beyond the temporary buffer that is currently in place? Do MNOs have reason to be concerned about the continuation of DCG in its current state in the event of this bleak scenario actually taking place?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. GrandMasterDash

GrandMasterDash Well-known Member
    Masternode Owner/Operator

Regarding PDF of 24 July 2018, "What's Going on at Dash?"

Where is the DIP for blockchain users, referenced under DAPI?

Namespace specifications ("blockchain users") represents a significant and lasting development. This, therefore, should be explained to, and approved by, masternodes.

• Like Like x 5
  5. strophy

strophy Administrator
    Dash Core Team Dash Support Group Moderator

1. Dash and Wirex announced an integration at last year's Dash conference, but Dash is still not supported in the app, while other cryptocurrencies have been integrated in the meantime. What is the status of this?

2. What is the status of the website refresh?

3. During the recent protocol upgrade, the network was held back by large mining pools being slow to update. How can this be mitigated in the future?

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. dASHBREAKER

dASHBREAKER New Member

1. Is the Dash Privacy Roadmap still valid in light of the crackdown on anonymous crypto currency in Japan, etc?
    Specifically, is the reporting at https://www.dashforcenews.com/dashs-privacy-roadmap-evolution-beyond/ still accurate in terms of the "Cash" feature of Evolution?

2. What is the status of the "massively overhauled" PrivateSend featuring "vastly reduced tx sizes" promised one year ago at https://www.reddit.com/r/dashpay/co...oadmap_through_evolution_and_beyond/dhfv29r/?

• Like Like x 2
  7. solarguy

solarguy Active Member

Does the Dash Core Team have specific plans to attack the remittance market in Venezuela (or India, or anywhere), or would they prefer to see that come up independently through the proposal process?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Eric Vaughn

Eric Vaughn New Member

Progress on the FanDuel partnership? When can we expect Dash to be usable on FanDuel?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Unstoppable

Unstoppable Member

Would it be possible to have privatesend include one denomination lower, 0.001 dash, in the 12.4 release?

Is privatesend on mobile possible with the dips described for 12.4, or is evolution needed as well?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Unstoppable

Unstoppable Member

IMO, this is outside of core, and I would prefer this came from the community. They are already paving the way.

11. solarguy

solarguy Active Member

IMO, I agree. But I don't want to see duplicate efforts or step on toes, thus, it would be great to hear it from Core directly.

12. JGCMiner

JGCMiner Active Member

This is not being pursued by Core.

You should ask @DEMOincubator_Escrow or @DashRacer about FanDuel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Macrochip

Macrochip Active Member

• Are there any updates from Dash Labs forthcoming and if so what are they?

• What is ASU currently researching and when can we expect more insights into scaling, block propagation, optimum node count etc.?

• Do you see collateralized mining as a feasible way to address the mining centralization problems that are plaguing cryptocurrency in general and, considering the slow upgrade process to 12.3, Dash in specific? Is anyone from Core seriously researching that solution?

#13 Macrochip, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. dASHBREAKER

dASHBREAKER New Member

Good questions.

Any comment/update on your claim last year that "PrivateSend is going to be massively overhauled. I'm not allowed to share details because moocowmoo would kill me, but I can assure you: You'll be surprised what Andy Freer came up with. It involves vastly reduced tx sizes"?

Or is moocowmoo still refusing to allow you to divulge additional information about what Andy came up with?

15. Macrochip

Macrochip Active Member

I'm not working as a spokesperson for Dash Core, neither did I pretend to be, since it was just me recalling a private conversation I had, so as far as anyone is concerned I could've pulled that quote out of my butt. Not saying that I have, but dragging it in here and pretending as though it was some kind of "promise" directly from Core is a gross misrepresentation. If anything that was a personal interpretation of information given to me from a DCG member who does not work directly on the feature in question.

More importantly: The quote is 15 months old and a lot could have changed behind the scenes since then. We're not waiting for a new roadmap for no reason.

Edit: Quote in question along with emphasis added:

#15 Macrochip, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. dASHBREAKER

dASHBREAKER New Member

You stated without any qualification "PrivateSend is going to be massively overhauled." And then said "I can assure you: You'll be surprised what Andy Freer came up with. It involves vastly reduced tx sizes."

I know English isn't your first language so this is probably just a silly misunderstanding based on my use of "promise" as a synonym of "assure" (see https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/thesaurus/assure for details).

Regardless, you are entirely correct that only the inner circle at Dash Core can solve the mystery of what has or has not happened w/r/t PrivateSend's massive overhaul in the 15 months since you related those tantalizing rumors. :p

#16 dASHBREAKER, Aug 5, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  17. tungfa

tungfa Administrator
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member Masternode Owner/Operator Moderator

no updates from evan or dashlabs
    i see evan frequently , they are working / researching a bunch of stuff but nothing to report
    up to them what they wanna disclose or not

• Like Like x 2
  18. Macrochip

Macrochip Active Member

Thanks tungfa. I keep forgetting that you have "direct access" :D

To make it short: The statement was valid when I made it.

I can't possibly know if it still is today but I'm not going back on what I said: What I was shown was an impressive innovation re. privacy and state transitions with bits and pieces from a whitepaper that in part went over my head. To qualify it further would be to break the actual promise I've given Moo. But IMO it was still important to let people know that work is being done to improve PS and I strongly doubt they've given up on it.

I don't expect Andy Freer to be part of the Call, so unfortunately I don't expect clarifications on that issue either.

19. Stealth923

Stealth923 Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

1) Does Core have any comments on Dash's performance relative to other projects. i.e. moving from 4th place to 15th place in 6 months? What does core attribute to this drop? How can core play a role in increasing investor confidence. (not hype).

2) When will the community see something substantial from Evolution. We are all still living on faith. No substantial DIPs have been released etc despite having the patent filed for a long time etc

3) Will Dash Core conduct alpha/beta testing with different audiences for the Evolution DashPay wallet? There is no room for error, the UI and experience needs to be spot on and meet the vision of "so easy your grandma could use it"

4) Can the Whats going on at Dash reports please be uploaded to a platform which can be accessed by everyone (i.e. Medium or Dash blog), not just in the forums. This has been asked many times but never actioned.

5) There has not been any significant or major integrations or Exchange additions for a VERY long time. Can the core team explain if they are actively pursuing these opportunities? or only when they are presented to them?

6) Has the Evolution username system been finalized as of yet. i.e. will it be unique usernames or allow users to change/have same?

7) The Copay beta release was seen as a disaster, additionally, the there was no quality assurance or internal testing done for the beta releases which resulted in simple features not working. What is core doing to ensure delivery quality is upheld so that we dont have these issues again?

8) Dash conference 2018 - updates, is it happening?

9) As the Chief Architect, Andy, what is he actually doing, we have someone who is the heart of Evolution and he is a ghost. He has been in this position for years, but nobody has heard him speak, seen an article from him, or knows what he does?

If these are all not addressed during the call, I would expect that someone from core will address post the meeting in this thread.

#19 Stealth923, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  20. dASHBREAKER

dASHBREAKER New Member

Could you please unpack and explain (with sources) this a little bit? I'm not sure if you are referring to Copay's closed-source software violating open-source licensing law by not publishing its code or something else.

21. strophy

strophy Administrator
    Dash Core Team Dash Support Group Moderator

This doesn't address the question of what is considered significant, but we are still being added to exchanges on a regular basis. I make a best-effort attempt to track that in the documentation. Viewing the history of the How to buy page can give some idea of recent exchange integrations: https://github.com/dashpay/docs/commits/master/introduction/how-to-buy.rst

• Like Like x 3
  22. Quansen

Quansen New Member

How big is the current remaining marketing budget? What does core plan to achieve with these funds and over which timeframe do you plan to spend these funds?

The dash treasury is currently under significant pressure. While Core is building significant buffers other important Dash businesses stand to go bankrupt. It is currently unclear if MNOs prefer Core having unused marketing funds over continuing other activities.

Depending on your answer I might put in a proposal to request DCG to redistribute marketing funds to the highest ranked, unfunded and above 10% treasury proposals of the current cycle. Would you follow such instruction by the masternode community?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Speedyspider

Speedyspider New Member

Will the updates to Dash this year allow the software to create sub assets?

Now that bitcoin cash has announced it will pursue colored coin tech, will this have an impact on Dashs competitve advantage?

How do the core groups expenses vs deliverables compare to industry averages?

• Like Like x 2
  24. Macrochip

Macrochip Active Member

I fully support this approach.

Is DCG willing to temporarily suspend non-developmental functions and use its substantial liquidity to financially support an organization like the Dash Embassy D-A-CH which has a stellar reputation and track record but is in acute danger of falling apart forever due to 2 straight months (July+August) of not being funded?

I'm not talking about full funding of the budget ask, but enough to keep them running for now, because you don't want to lose this kind of talent. Think about the highly unprofessional image the Dash network would convey to prospective business partners in that region if the organization suddenly disappeared. Please keep them on life support with skeleton funding until the situation eases up.

Disclaimer: I am not an employee of the Dash Embassy and I receive no compensation of any sort for this suggestion. I am only a strong supporter of people who get stuff done but don't receive nearly as much recognition as they deserve.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. solarguy

solarguy Active Member

This is the kind of agile and creative thinking we're going to have to embrace to get through the next 3-6 months before prices pick up again.

We cannot allow D-A-CH and Venezuela to die on the vine.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  26. ampp

ampp Member

Would DashCore benefit from a board of directors like group for primarily oversight and advisory roles?
    Explanation: IMHO we have some armchair experts who believe in unrealistic things around business. It may provide a level of comfort to the MNO's to see a report from peers analysing the efforts of core and assisting in industry connections as well.

• Like Like x 1
  27. TroyDASH

TroyDASH Well-known Member
    Masternode Owner/Operator Moderator

After the release and open-sourcing of 13.0, is DCG planning to continue development of future versions 13.1, 14.0,...etc in a private repository? Or will the development of new versions move to public repos?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  28. camosoul

camosoul Well-known Member

Hernia warning, you're gonna laugh 'til your sides split.

29. camosoul

camosoul Well-known Member

ME WANT INFOS!

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Member

I have been asking questions in the core proposals for a considerable amount of time and received very limited to no answers from core proposal owners. MNOs are running out of patience having their questions unanswered. We need the answers to fulfil our role as MNOs. Core need to become more transparent, if not there is a very great possibility that MNOs will start raising proposals for drastic restructuring in core which could lead to a destabilization of the network. Here are some questions regarding the core funding for salaries that have not yet been answered by Glenn Austin and which I posted in a thread regarding the core compensation here:

https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/core-team-compensation-september.39897/

- Development - 30 staff
    - Leadership and Admin - 10 staff
    - Project Management - 4 staff
    - Strategy - 4 staff
    - Quality Assurance - 4 staff
    - Business Development - 3 staff
    - Marketing - 3 staff
    - Infrastructure - 2 staff
    - Support - 1 staff
    - Human Resources - 1 staff
    - International Outreach - 8 staff (part-time)

1. Leadership and Admin - can you be more specific about you mean. Leadership of what? Admin for what? How many are leadership and how many are admin and what specifically are their roles?

2. Project management - for what? Is this project management for core development? Core marketing? Core business development? What?

3. Strategy - 4 staff. Strategy for what exactly? Development? Marketing? Business Development? Are the Strategy people working full time on strategy? That seems a lot - what exactly are these people doing?

4. Marketing: What has marketing specifically achieved with our 1200 DASH funds on the last marketing funding? What projects exactly are marketing working on? How is that funding being used? What are the proposed strategies for marketing? What role does core Marketing have with Wachsman PR?

5. How much money is going to each function of core e.g. for Marketing? Development? Project management etc. Provide a breakdown of funds for each.

6. How do each of the individual roles of core interact with each other, what are the dependencies of one function of core compared to another function of core. We need to know this so that we can determine what would happen if we wanted to replace or improve a function of core and what the knock on effects would have.

7. International outreach - where are these people situated? What are they doing? How much money are they receiving? How is compensation calculated for each of these people? When they say part time how much time is being spent? Is compensation calculate on an hourly rate? What criteria determine the amount of funding for each outreach person? What have the outreach people achieved? How is ROI determined on these outreach projects. Who does outreach report to in core? Who co-ordinates their activities?

8. Business development. What have their achieved since Bradley Zastrow took over? What inroads have been made and what direction is business development going specifically? What new and future business partnerships are planned that they can disclose? If they cannot disclose details can they disclose generic details so we have enough information to determine the efficiency of this team?

9. Are core prepared to split up each core function into separate funding proposals so that we can better ask focused questions regarding that function? If not why not?

10. There was mention of "benefits" being given out to core. How much in benefits to each person? What are these benefits and how much will these benefits be worth per year?

We need answers to basic questions now. I, have been asking questions for the last 6 months in core proposals and have been either ignored or had other MNOs protect core.

I have to say reluctantly I'm reaching the end of my patience with core not answering my questions. If this approach continues I will lose my faith in DASH as a coin.

MNOs with business acumen are simply not going to wait for answers to our questions about our investment.

DASH will start losing MNOs that have talent and something to contribute if you don't start answering our questions in the funding proposals and in the forum posts.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1