• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

v12.2 Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
12.2 RPMs built for Fedora 25, 26 and EL7 -- sources here and instruction for installing the binaries for all the various configurations:
https://github.com/taw00/dashcore-rpm

For the binaries, they are in my testing repo. The dashcore-fedora.repo and dashcore-centos.repo yum/dnf files have been updated pointing at the right repositories (by default they enable stable, of course and you will have to switch to the testing repository for 12.2).

I'm making the assumption that if you are doing testing and are fedora-savvy, you likely know what I am talking about here (or simply read the docs at the site listed above -- it really isn't that complicated). If you are confused and want some help, poke me on discord (t0dd there as well).

And hello again to everyone. I took 5+ months off and am only slowly re-inserting myself back into the tech-scene. :)
Happy Dashing!

Anyway, I have a watchdog expired issue. I downloaded the sentinel folder, all other dependencies were previously installed, so I didn't redo any of that. should I have?

Hey, so I recently went through the steps of setting up a 12.2 masternode on testnet. It's pretty straightforward but you need to get sentinel from the 12.2.x branch and not master, as long as it is still pre-release. Follow my notes here: https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DOC/pages/118162190/Masternodes+under+testnet

Thank you @strophy I will follow :) I've installed this version after deleting existing sentinel directory. I will wait to see if it works, and I think it will :) Tests passed :) In the mean time, could your link be added to the OP so others can get in on this game? Thanks :)

All working now :D Yaaay!

Last edited:
Syncing takes a really long time. I have 8 connections, and it just seems really slothy. Is that just due to not having enough MNs or other wallets on the network?

Syncing takes a really long time. I have 8 connections, and it just seems really slothy. Is that just due to not having enough MNs or other wallets on the network?

What are the results when you remove the blockchain, the peers.dat file and the banlist.dat file and let it sync from scratch ?

Edit : are we talking about blockchain syncing or the additional syncing ?

I deleted everything except wallet.dat and config files. I opened the wallet and it syncs up super fast until it gets to the last week or so, then it slows to a crawl. in fact it seems I'm stuck at 5 days

No, not quite stuck, it seems to be doing something, but very slowly

Wow, and it's laggy too. If I click on it in the task bar, it doesn't want to open up on the desktop (on top of chrome)

Well, anyways, I made a copy of the debug log if anyone wants to see it. It might just be slow? I seem to have connections (8) so not sure why it gets so laggy and slow (about 15 minutes for last 5 days)

BTW I do like the automatic unlocking for mixing only window that comes up when you say to mix. I'd usually wonder why after so many hours nothing happened, only to realize I forgot to unlock :p

Last edited:
I deleted everything except wallet.dat and config files. I opened the wallet and it syncs up super fast until it gets to the last week or so, then it slows to a crawl. in fact it seems I'm stuck at 5 days

Wow, and it's laggy too. If I click on it in the task bar, it doesn't want to open up on the desktop (on top of chrome)

Well, anyways, I made a copy of the debug log if anyone wants to see it. It might just be slow? I seem to have connections (8) so not sure why it gets so laggy and slow (about 15 minutes for last 5 days)

BTW I do like the automatic unlocking for mixing only window that comes up when you say to mix. I'd usually wonder why after so many hours nothing happened, only to realize I forgot to unlock :p

Are you operating with a new wallet or are you operating with a pre-fork testnet wallet ?

The behavior you see is most likely due to an optimization that was recently added and the large blocks that appear on testnet. The optimization (assumed valid block) skips some verification for all blocks which are the ancestors of a known valid block. The feature was backported from Bitcoin and the original announcement can be found here: https://bitcoincore.org/en/2017/03/08/release-0.14.0/#assumed-valid-blocks
This means, after this block you get "normal" processing times, the same you would have for all blocks without this feature. So it actually got overall faster, but feels slower close to syncing up :D

Then there are the large blocks you currently find in testnet. The point were it gets really slow is very likely the point were some big block testing was performed, so you're downloading and verifying >1mb blocks at this point in time.

Regarding the laggyness of the UI...that shouldn't happen of course. Gonna check this tomorrow.

Regarding the laggyness of the UI...that shouldn't happen of course. Gonna check this tomorrow.
I can confirm laggy GUI, it was unusable about 2-3 mins, when i last time tried it.
Never experienced so totally laggy ui.
Win7 x64.

Maybe the laggyness is due to the trafficgraphdatatests.cpp issue? TrafficGraphData returns a float, while QCOMPARE (before the fix) doesnt expect a float. So in qt older than 5 it does not compile at all, and in qt greater than 5 it takes long time to transliterate. Bandwidth graphs are often found to be laggy, so they have to be coded carefully.

More news. I just applied @UdjinM6 's fix, I compiled the code, and I entered the testnet. The gui is too laggy indeed. I will disable totally the bandwidth graph funtionality, recompile, and see if the laggyness is solved. Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes.

Last edited:
I still think over 15 minutes for 5 days is a bit long...? Mine is also on windows 10 64bit GUI version

Also, I just read in the thread made to get current MN owners to update sentinel due to crazy Europeans using commas (JK) and it said there that Flare said v12.2 won't have "watchdog expired" anymore. This is weird because I can't get my tMNs to stay on because they say "watchdog expired"

I dropped the ball last night and didn't change the conf file in sentinel last time I updated, so hopefully it will work in a few........ but still, it has "watchdog expired, so why would flare say there was no watchdog in 12.2?

Last edited:
I think Sentinel has independent version numbers... It was at start 1.0.0 and currently is at 1.0.1
so i suspect if Sentinel version change, it will change to 1.0.2

But please correct me if i'm wrong here...

Turns out you are wrong. Somewhat. Yes, Sentinel has independent versions, but there is no guidance as what the version scheme should be for master versus next branches. The sentinel in support of v12.2 is unversioned. It will not be 1.0.2. We know this only because 1.0.1 was just updated today with a hotfix to fix an issue and the version became 1.0.2. So... 1.0.2 is a supporting version of sentinel for 12.1.

I think I will just call it 1.1.0 and if it ends up being a continuation of the 1.0.x series... well... we'll have some communicating to do. :)

Are you operating with a new wallet or are you operating with a pre-fork testnet wallet ?
New wallet, all updated when this thread was opened. no old wallet.dat, nothing. brand new testnet3 folder

If there is no watchdog in 12.2 why do I have watchdog expired? I can't seem to get my MNs running for some reason???

3 rounds of mixing went smoothly to 100%

I have since upped it to 8 rounds and it's slow and sitting at idle a lot. Maybe I'm the only one mixing since last night?

Last edited:
I restarted desktop wallet and mixing began again

Also, MNs finally say enabled. Not sure what was wrong but it fixed itself??

Nope, my desktop wallet says watchdog expired again. And my server side wallets don't show any errors. not sure that they ever would have though?? Plus, I don't get any payouts.

Last edited:
I restarted desktop wallet and mixing began again

Also, MNs finally say enabled. Not sure what was wrong but it fixed itself??
You have some peers that are banned. Watch them in your qt wallet. Maybe the problem was fixed because of the ban of those peers.

By the way, when I click at the IP address of my peers I receive information about them. But no information appears for my banned peers, just their IP address. I would like to know more about my banned peers. And the reason why you have banned them. One omen is best, to defend your country.

Last edited:
Maybe the laggyness is due to the trafficgraphdatatests.cpp issue? TrafficGraphData returns a float, while QCOMPARE (before the fix) doesnt expect a float. So in qt older than 5 it does not compile at all, and in qt greater than 5 it takes long time to transliterate. Bandwidth graphs are often found to be laggy, so they have to be coded carefully.

More news. I just applied @UdjinM6 's fix, I compiled the code, and I entered the testnet. The gui is too laggy indeed. I will disable totally the bandwidth graph funtionality, recompile, and see if the laggyness is solved. Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes.

After the changes I made (disabling totally the bandwidth graph) my gui is not laggy any more.
I recommend everyone (@TanteStefana , @AjM, @codablock e.t.c) to do the same.
Who needs this damned bandwidth graph anyway?

Last edited:
After the changes I made (disabling totally the bandwidth graph) my gui is not laggy any more.
I recommend everyone (@TanteStefana , @AjM, @codablock e.t.c) to do the same.
Who needs this damned bandwidth graph anyway?

I cleared the .dashcore directory, and tried a fresh install of my wallet. The gui lags again. So disabling the bandwidth graph the way I did it, is neither the only reason, nor the main reason for the initial lag.

You can follow the discussion here, to see what I did in order to turn my gui superfast (by disabling a lot of gui notifications)

TO THE DEVELOPERS: ALL uiInterface NOTIFICATIONS SHOULD BE CHECKED THOUGHTFULLY, BECAUSE THEY MAY CAUSE GUI LAGS
You may also fix ./qt/clientmodel.cpp and ./ui_interface.h in order to prevent gui notifications in case the notification rate is huge. Do something similar to this and tune this, when appropriate. If I am about to name ONE responsible for the lag, I would say: CMasternodeSync::processTick

You may give me some tip for helping discovering the GUI-lag bug in:
Dash:XnpT2YQaYpyh7F9twM6EtDMn1TCDCEEgNX
Disclaimer: Whatever tip is given to me will be used in favor of the Dash community and against the greedy Dash generation of 2014-2016 (and the greedy masternode owners in general). Possible uses of the tips you are giving to me: Budget proposals to reduce the greed, coding things to reduce the greed (vote the numbers, universal dividend e.t.c), financing proof of individuality meetings, maybe also financing a Dash hard fork in case the greed remains.

I reported the issue here, and waiting for response.

Last edited:
I tried to run sentinel and I get the following message:

~/.dashcore/sentinel$ ps -efl|grep dashd
1 S src 2587 1 3 80 0 - 63753 hrtime 17:39 ? 00:00:41 ./dashd
0 S src 3904 1407 0 80 0 - 1286 pipe_w 17:57 pts/1 00:00:00 grep --color=auto dashd

~/.dashcore/sentinel$ venv/bin/python bin/sentinel.py
-342: non-JSON HTTP response with '401 Unauthorized' from server
Cannot connect to dashd. Please ensure dashd is running and the JSONRPC port is open to Sentinel.

What am I doing wrong? As long as dashd is obviously running, how do I open a JSONRPC port to sentinel?

Last edited:
Also, I have "watchdog expired" which just popped up. Not sure if it's something to be concerned about?

Thank you @strophy I will follow :) I've installed this version after deleting existing sentinel directory. I will wait to see if it works, and I think it will :) Tests passed :) In the mean time, could your link be added to the OP so others can get in on this game? Thanks :)

All working now :D Yaaay!

I also have the same "WATCHDOG_EXPIRE" issue in my tmasternode.
Could you please explain me, step by step, how you solved this?

here is what I did:

Code:
src@d:~/.dashcore$ ./dash-cli getinfo | grep version
  "version": 120200,
  "protocolversion": 70208,
  "walletversion": 61000,
src@d:~/.dashcore$ git clone -b core-v0.12.2.x https://github.com/dashpay/sentinel.git
Cloning into 'sentinel'...
remote: Counting objects: 3321, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (13/13), done.
Receiving objects: 100% (3321/3321), 1.18 MiB | 345.00 KiB/s, done.
remote: Total 3321 (delta 9), reused 7 (delta 3), pack-reused 3305
Resolving deltas: 100% (2203/2203), done.
src@d:~/.dashcore$ cd sentinel
src@d:~/.dashcore/sentinel$ virtualenv ./venv
Using base prefix '/usr'
New python executable in /home/src/.dashcore/sentinel/venv/bin/python3
Also creating executable in /home/src/.dashcore/sentinel/venv/bin/python
Installing setuptools, pip, wheel...done.
src@d:~/.dashcore/sentinel$ cat requirements.txt
inflection==0.3.1
peewee==2.8.3
py==1.4.31
pycodestyle==2.2.0
pytest==3.0.1
python-bitcoinrpc==1.0
simplejson==3.8.2
src@d:~/.dashcore/sentinel$ ./venv/bin/pip install -r requirements.txt
Collecting inflection==0.3.1 (from -r requirements.txt (line 1))
Collecting peewee==2.8.3 (from -r requirements.txt (line 2))
Collecting py==1.4.31 (from -r requirements.txt (line 3))
  Using cached py-1.4.31-py2.py3-none-any.whl
Collecting pycodestyle==2.2.0 (from -r requirements.txt (line 4))
  Using cached pycodestyle-2.2.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
Collecting pytest==3.0.1 (from -r requirements.txt (line 5))
  Using cached pytest-3.0.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl
Collecting python-bitcoinrpc==1.0 (from -r requirements.txt (line 6))
Collecting simplejson==3.8.2 (from -r requirements.txt (line 7))
Installing collected packages: inflection, peewee, py, pycodestyle, pytest, python-bitcoinrpc, simplejson
Successfully installed inflection-0.3.1 peewee-2.8.3 py-1.4.31 pycodestyle-2.2.0 pytest-3.0.1 python-bitcoinrpc-1.0 simplejson-3.8.2
src@d:~/.dashcore/sentinel$ crontab -l
# Edit this file to introduce tasks to be run by cron.
# Each task to run has to be defined through a single line
# indicating with different fields when the task will be run
# and what command to run for the task
# To define the time you can provide concrete values for
# minute (m), hour (h), day of month (dom), month (mon),
# and day of week (dow) or use '*' in these fields (for 'any').#
# Notice that tasks will be started based on the cron's system
# daemon's notion of time and timezones.
# Output of the crontab jobs (including errors) is sent through
# email to the user the crontab file belongs to (unless redirected).
# For example, you can run a backup of all your user accounts
# at 5 a.m every week with:
# 0 5 * * 1 tar -zcf /var/backups/home.tgz /home/
# For more information see the manual pages of crontab(5) and cron(8)
# m h  dom mon dow   command

* * * * * cd /home/src/.dashcore/sentinel && ./venv/bin/python bin/sentinel.py >/dev/null 2>&1

src@d:~/.dashcore/sentinel$ cat sentinel.conf
# specify path to dash.conf or leave blank
# default is the same as DashCore
dash_conf=/home/src/.dashcore/dash.conf

# valid options are mainnet, testnet (default=mainnet)
# network=mainnet

network=testnet
rpcuser=demo
rpcpassword=aaaa
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
rpcport=9998

# database connection details
db_name=database/sentinel.db
db_driver=sqlite

src@d:~/.dashcore/sentinel$ ./venv/bin/py.test ./test
==================================================================== test session starts ====================================================================
platform linux -- Python 3.5.3, pytest-3.0.1, py-1.4.31, pluggy-0.3.1
rootdir: /home/src/.dashcore/sentinel, inifile:
collected 22 items

test/integration/test_jsonrpc.py F
test/unit/test_dash_config.py .
test/unit/test_dashd_data_shims.py ..
test/unit/test_dashy_things.py ......
test/unit/test_models.py ..
test/unit/test_submit_command.py .
test/unit/models/test_proposals.py ....
test/unit/models/test_superblocks.py .....

========================================================================= FAILURES ==========================================================================
________________________________________________________________________ test_dashd _________________________________________________________________________

def test_dashd():
        config_text = DashConfig.slurp_config_file(config.dash_conf)
        network = 'mainnet'
        is_testnet = False
        genesis_hash = u'00000ffd590b1485b3caadc19b22e6379c733355108f107a430458cdf3407ab6'
        for line in config_text.split("\n"):
            if line.startswith('testnet=1'):
                network = 'testnet'
                is_testnet = True
                genesis_hash = u'00000bafbc94add76cb75e2ec92894837288a481e5c005f6563d91623bf8bc2c'

creds = DashConfig.get_rpc_creds(config_text, network)
        dashd = DashDaemon(**creds)
        assert dashd.rpc_command is not None

assert hasattr(dashd, 'rpc_connection')

# Dash testnet block 0 hash == 00000bafbc94add76cb75e2ec92894837288a481e5c005f6563d91623bf8bc2c
        # test commands without arguments
>       info = dashd.rpc_command('getinfo')

test/integration/test_jsonrpc.py:34:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
lib/dashd.py:42: in rpc_command
    return self.rpc_connection.__getattr__(params[0])(*params[1:])
venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/bitcoinrpc/authproxy.py:139: in __call__
    response = self._get_response()
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

self = <bitcoinrpc.authproxy.AuthServiceProxy object at 0xb67011ec>

def _get_response(self):
        http_response = self.__conn.getresponse()
        if http_response is None:
            raise JSONRPCException({
                'code': -342, 'message': 'missing HTTP response from server'})

content_type = http_response.getheader('Content-Type')
        if content_type != 'application/json':
            raise JSONRPCException({
>               'code': -342, 'message': 'non-JSON HTTP response with \'%i %s\' from server' % (http_response.status, http_response.reason)})
E           bitcoinrpc.authproxy.JSONRPCException: -342: non-JSON HTTP response with '401 Unauthorized' from server

venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/bitcoinrpc/authproxy.py:187: JSONRPCException
============================================================ 1 failed, 21 passed in 4.74 seconds ============================================================
src@d:~/.dashcore$ ./dash-cli getinfo
{
  "version": 120200,
  "protocolversion": 70208,
  "walletversion": 61000,
  "balance": 6269.74098202,
  "privatesend_balance": 0.00000000,
  "blocks": 17922,
  "timeoffset": 0,
  "connections": 10,
  "proxy": "",
  "difficulty": 1.332960439336927,