• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Reuben's Start Multiple Masternodes from One Wallet Guide (start-many)

How do we unlock the coins if we want to sell a node?
you need to use coincontrol to unlock the 1000 vin OR simply remove the masternode.conf file from datadir that way the 1000 vin is not locked an you can move it easly.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you use start-many with masternode.conf, I assume the RPC username and password needs to be the same on all of the remote masternode servers? I used to have separate dash.conf files with different rpc usernames and passwords for each wallet.

If you use start-many with masternode.conf, I assume the RPC username and password needs to be the same on all of the remote masternode servers? I used to have separate dash.conf files with different rpc usernames and passwords for each wallet.
Nope, you can keep them different - start-many uses internal protocol to activate masternodes and doesn't use remote rpc at all

After setting up two masternodes with one wallet like described in this guide, none of both has a payment for 12 days now. start-many says both started successfully, dashman says up and running, dashwhale both thumbs up and also dashninja shows them as port open and active. What can be the problem?

After setting up two masternodes with one wallet like described in this guide, none of both has a payment for 12 days now. start-many says both started successfully, dashman says up and running, dashwhale both thumbs up and also dashninja shows them as port open and active. What can be the problem?
Mind sharing vins or addresses via PM?

EDIT: I can't find any active MN that is up for ~12 days and wasn't paid https://dashninja.pl/masternodes.html
Did you shut them down or were they paid?

Last edited by a moderator:
Because they were not paid, I restarted them yesterday. One address is XkQFptVCRLJdsyaBGGMPogqdVqGnR4gKBB.
Oh, so they were up for quite a long time now, I misread your previous message, sorry.

As for the problem itself, I checked logs on my node
2016-01-12 14:33:34 mnb - Got updated entry for 104.238.173.58:9999
2016-01-17 13:18:55 mnb - Got updated entry for 104.238.173.58:9999
This means you sent a message to start a node that was already up.

That's when I reread your message again and found this
start-many says both started successfully

So, are you checking if you node is up by issuing "start-many"? If so - that's the wrong way, you are pushing your nodes to the end of the list which explains why they were not paid.
You should use "masternode list full XkQFptVCRLJdsyaBGGMPogqdVqGnR4gKBB" to get info about a single one:
Code:
{
    "fe01990a5b32b253798cecfaf943ef0d41c30f3d1caffed4564433eb69257804-0" : "  ENABLED 70103 XkQFptVCRLJdsyaBGGMPogqdVqGnR4gKBB   104.238.173.58:9999 1453366941    87315 0"
}
or "masternode list-conf" to get info about every MN listed in your masternode.conf:
Code:
{
    "masternode" : {
        "alias" : "mn1",
        "address" : "100.10.100.101:9999",
        "privateKey" : "7blablablablablablablablablalbalbalblalbalblab",
        "txHash" : "blablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablabla",
        "outputIndex" : "0",
        "status" : "ENABLED"
    },
        "alias" : "mn2",
        "address" : "100.10.100.102:9999",
        "privateKey" : "7blablablablablablablablablalbalbalblalbalblac",
    },
        "alias" : "mn99",
        "address" : "100.10.100.199:9999",
        "privateKey" : "7blablablablablablablablablalbalbalblalbalblzz",
    }
}

I did

masternode start

instead of

masternode start-many
Yup. This. The "masternode start" for old school hot wallet nodes still exists and gives you that error. I feel this should be removed entirely because it's dangerous and we don't want some noob doing it and losing their 1000 DASH. It's the sort of thing a noob might do as a shortcut... It doesn't serve any useful production purpose anymore, and creates a potential [really] bad thing for people who don't grasp the situation.

All "remote" or "hot/cold" wallet type nodes require start-many, start-missing, start-alias [alias in masternode.conf], etc...

Still think it needs to be renamed "start-all" instead of "start-many." Using weird language doesn't help the already confused.

Still think it needs to be renamed "start-all" instead of "start-many." Using weird language doesn't help the already confused.
it's there since v0.12.0.50 https://github.com/dashpay/dash/pull/577/commits/7fb2e38162192461dbd3040310463983d403f904
help masternode

masternode "command"... ( "passphrase" )
Set of commands to execute masternode related actions

Arguments:
1. "command" (string or set of strings, required) The command to execute
2. "passphrase" (string, optional) The wallet passphrase

Available commands:
count - Print number of all known masternodes (optional: 'ds', 'enabled', 'all', 'qualify')
current - Print info on current masternode winner
debug - Print masternode status
genkey - Generate new masternodeprivkey
enforce - Enforce masternode payments
outputs - Print masternode compatible outputs
start - Start masternode configured in dash.conf
start-alias - Start single masternode by assigned alias configured in masternode.conf
start-<mode> - Start masternodes configured in masternode.conf (<mode>: 'all', 'missing', 'disabled')
status - Print masternode status information
list - Print list of all known masternodes (see masternodelist for more info)
list-conf - Print masternode.conf in JSON format
winners - Print list of masternode winners
start-many is left for backward compatibility and is not displayed in help anymore (also since v0.12.0.50)

Back