• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Remote MasterNode guide UPDATED

I updated with instructions for how it works in testnet (and therefore how it will work when RC3 is released) But I kept the old instructions below. I hope that way if RC3 is released faster than expected, it'll be ready for everyone. if not, and things change, i'll just keep it updated.

I won't be putting my masternodes online again until RC3 is released I also made two new wallets to hold my masternodes with new passphrases etc... offline in case anyone has gotten ahold of my wallet.dat files. I'm becoming a proper paranoid little old lady now after losing my Bitcointalk account, LOL.

In the updated guide, it says to make sure masternode=0 on local client, but then it shows masternode=1 in the sample file at the end. Which is correct, or when do you change it?

Also, what exactly is masternodeprivkey? Putting anything called privatekey on the remote server seems like a bad idea, but if I knew what it actually is(signed message? etc?) I'd be a bit more comfortable.

Am I correct in assuming that the remote machine's wallet should be encrypted?

If so, should the walletpassphase be required in...
TanteStefana said:
1. Start Darkcoind up on your Remote Machine using this command: ./darkcoind

Last edited by a moderator:
Does that allow cold storage already? Did you try that out?

yup, confirmed! Got it instantly going since 10.9.6. Updated today to 10.9.10 and havent received a payment still, but for some reason the testnet MN count went crazy high, maybe that why... even still, been like 4 or 5 hours. Will sleep on it, literally ;)

In the updated guide, it says to make sure masternode=0 on local client, but then it shows masternode=1 in the sample file at the end. Which is correct, or when do you change it?

Also, what exactly is masternodeprivkey? Putting anything called privatekey on the remote server seems like a bad idea, but if I knew what it actually is(signed message? etc?) I'd be a bit more comfortable.
Ooops, after getting your masternodekey, you reset the masternode= back to1, sorry, i'll fix that. Thanks for catching!

Am I correct in assuming that the remote machine's wallet should be encrypted?

If so, should the walletpassphase be required in...
Nope, only just before you start the masternodes (to unlock) and with the mastrnode start PASS# command. Not required to start darkcoind

Does that allow cold storage already? Did you try that out?
Yes, but only in testnet at the moment. This updated guide is for RC3 when it comes out, and any changes, I'll update here. It's so people can get used to what's happening so they're as ready as those following on testnet :)

3. and finally, on your Local Machine, start the Masternode: ./darkcoind masternode start "whateveryourpassphraseis"
Hi,
I juste update to last daemon (v0.10.10.1)
With : masternodeaddr=RemoteIP:9999 , I have : inbound port is not open. Please open it and try again. (19999 for testnet and 9999 for mainnet)
With : masternodeaddr=RemoteIP , I have : darkcoind: /usr/include/boost/thread/pthread/pthread_mutex_scoped_lock.hpp:26: boost::pthread::pthread_mutex_scoped_lock::pthread_mutex_scoped_lock(pthread_mutex_t*): Assertion `!pthread_mutex_lock(m)' failed.
error: no response from server

Thx

PS : whats work, i put wrong IP.
Thx

hi guys,
i did it withe the how to from: https://darkcointalk.org/threads/drk-guide-rc3-masternode-windows-local-linux-remote-vultr.1367/
but it won't work :(

everytime when i shut down the local wallet, the remote wallet gets kicked from the masternode list after round about 10minutes.
I waited for the message that the hotcoldmasternode is enabled on both systems, but nothing changed...the cold storage solution didn't worked for me...

i don't know what i did wrong, so it would be very very nice if someone could give me a hint and help me to solve this problem before the hard fork.

thanky you very much.

Does the reverted 10.10.2 version include cold wallet support or is it similar to pre-RC3 with no cold wallet support yet? I'm guessing the latter, in which case, are we going to need to wait until being able to try the cold wallet way?

TanteStefana
on the first page you recommend to use only darkoind for local wallet ( instead darkcoin-qt ).
Does that has a special reason ?
How can i see the inital receiving address of the darkcoind wallet or do i have to create one first with <Getaccountaddress> ?
Thanks

Edit : empty darkcoind seems to have no addess. I used a wallet.dat that already had 1K inside.
To see adresses of wallet use : ./darkcoind listaddressgroupings

Back