• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

What other altcoins are DRKcoiners into?

You bet! I agree, the biggest question in my mind is how they'll prevent massive blockchain bloat. Also, any contract related to something external (e.g. fiat currency values, who wins the world series, etc) is inherently vulnerable.
True, hadn't thought of that. Well ambitious ideas are good. If nothing else there will certainly be lessons to learn for cryptocurrency as a whole.

You bet! I agree, the biggest question in my mind is how they'll prevent massive blockchain bloat. Also, any contract related to something external (e.g. fiat currency values, who wins the world series, etc) is inherently vulnerable.

To me the whole project seems a bit too ambitious and complex. I might still invest in it but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. I think alot of thing things they are aiming to do can be built as third party services on top of current blockchains much better... and that this latter type of niche specific focus, is generally better than the broad approach that Etherium seems to take with seemingly trying to control and establish protocols a programming language for any exchange of value.

I also believe there is alot of hype behind it, and when an interview with the kid (the creator) on youtube laughing about some anarchist colony (for the reocrd I have nothing against anarchist colonies) stealing 500,000 euros in credit to start some silly colony, and he is laughing about it on youtube I question his principle and legitimacy in asking for 30K BTC for an IPO for Etherium.

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw27x_xAPmI&feature=share&t=3m00s

For the record I'm still not decided on this one. I think if they are asking for 30k BTC IPO, we need to look closely at the people involved and their track record.

There's definitely a lot of hype behind Etherium, but that's a good think if you want to invest in it - they've really done an amazing job of getting people excited about it. I'm also concerned that it could be too hard for people to understand. Hopefully normal people will be able to use the features created by developers without actually understanding it themselves. Even if it fails miserably, you've got to applaud them for swinging for the fences. I plan to invest early, but definitely am not trading any DRK for it.

I hold
1) BTC - the mother and father of crypto.
2) DRK - because someone needs to up the anonymity
3) NXT - Lots of innovation here. The real downside here was how it all began and the marketing after. Lots of uphill climbing..

Mined LTC for about a week to start with, then switched to VTC when I heard of the coming scrypt ASICs, still like VTC, competent and committed devs and it will be the premiere n-factor coin, in fact probably 2nd only to BTC within a year I believe, but have been mining DRK exclusively for the last few weeks. Initially was going to keep mining VTC and buy DRK but the low temps, low noise, and low leccy got me hooked on DRK.

Have faffed with multipools and betarigs along the way, plus a few other things, can't be bothered any more.

Also DRK was the first linux wallet I was able to build without any buggering about, instantly endeared me to the devs. :)

Ultimately I see more longevity in DRK (or what it evolves into) than BTC. I also forsee an almighty struggle with the powers that be, but nothing good was ever easy and if the suits and their thugs want a fight, well I'm half Texan, half Russian, and all Irish, god help them. ;)

I think there is room for us all. Ofc, a lot of altcoins will die off, mainly because their devs stop working on it, or because of unfixable bugs.

Here is something that seems nice enugh: http://maidsafe.net/ introduces their currency for the network. I might invest in that. DECENTRALIZE!

I had some DRK but I sold them when it was 1,16$, just to try arbitrage, and do not bought then again, I am so sad right now

I haven't had a chance to delve into the white paper yet, but the idea with Etherium is that it comes with a built-in programming language, so you can embed code into your coin, which in turn is embedded into the blockchain.

Without looking into the whitepaper I'm pretty sure this could be exploited easily (easily as in "needs the better part of a rainy weekend worth of time").

Without looking into the whitepaper I'm pretty sure this could be exploited easily (easily as in "needs the better part of a rainy weekend worth of time").

Interesting. What kinds of exploits do you have in mind? Computers verifying transactions might have to run the code, so in theory it might be possible to use the block-chain to propagate malicious code. There are all kinds of ways to protect against that (depends on how/where the contracts are decrypted), and I'm sure the developers have considered it, but it's definitely a disturbing thought.

Interesting. What kinds of exploits do you have in mind? Computers verifying transactions might have to run the code, so in theory it might be possible to use the block-chain to propagate malicious code. There are all kinds of ways to protect against that (depends on how/where the contracts are decrypted), and I'm sure the developers have considered it, but it's definitely a disturbing thought.

If each computer has to process my code DOS is the first thing you could easily do....just get them busy and waste a lot of resources. Depends of the implemented programming language possibilities of course.
Second thought is exploids, wouldn't be the first sandbox from which code hacks the underlaying OS.
And of course you could do a lot of nasty things to the transaction itself.

If I would have to implement the language I would use a VERY restricted instruction set.
In fact, I would most probably don't do it at all. I'm known to be on the more paranoid side of developers...

I'm putting a little in NXT and Namecoin and see how it goes. Mainly in BTC & DRK and looking at VRC.

Last edited by a moderator:
That reminds me, I'm still holding bitshares. Are they even out yet?
not sure. i think it (bitshares x) was supposed to be launched over a month ago but was delayed. i think they are still testing it. saw they were working on an anon feature too.
you can put your bts-protoshares add in here and see how many btsx you have...
bitbalance.azurewebsitesnet

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going after DRK slow and steady...
I started with BTC mining back in December, rode the decline from $800 all the way down to $340. Sold my BTC machines on eBay, got burned by a buyer for $10k... Left to mine LTC via Markets.cx cloud service, lost $2k when they up and disappeared. So I have been around the block on a loosing streak but I see promise for growth with DRK. I 'm here for the long haul.

Back